Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hugh Thornton Goes Down... Who Plays RG

CardiacColts

With recent developments that rookie RT Hugh Thornton went down with an ankle injury at camp, coaching staff says he will be out "a while." Who would you like to open the season with at RT. Please just don't say MM. I'd rather hold out hope that Ijalana can step up as a big surprise rather than deal with another season of watching McGlynn get steamrolled. Thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea Mcglynn wast he starter anyways... i dont like Mcglynn but i think with this lineup, he is going to be much less exposed. he is the kind of guy you dont notice as long as he is not the like the top OL... he wont be here anymore so he wont look as bad...of course im rooting for Ijalana and Thornton.

he didnt look so bad when he was the starting for the eagles, but that OL was much better than what we have had over the last few years.

Not sure why people were assuming that McGlynn was going to be the starter regardless, but whatever

We're assuming he's the starter because he's the starter.  That was a given.  He was with the starters at the mini and at the opening of camp. 

What we're all HOPING is that someone beats him out, because I think we can all agree that there must be someone better than him on the roster.

For now, experience wins the job.

Also @pwilson24: #Colts coach Chuck Pagano says DT Brandon McKinney has swelling in knee. He missed all of last year, ACL surgery.

He's a long shot to make the team as is.  Loads of experience, but it don't matter if he never plays.

We're assuming he's the starter because he's the starter.  That was a given.  He was with the starters at the mini and at the opening of camp. 

What we're all HOPING is that someone beats him out, because I think we can all agree that there must be someone better than him on the roster.

For now, experience wins the job.

I assumed you were talking about the start of the regular season. I don't think it needed to be pointed out he would have to get beat out by someone.

I assumed you were talking about the start of the regular season. I don't think it needed to be pointed out he would have to get beat out by someone.

If Thorton is healthy, he looks like the most likely guy to beat him out.  I certainly hope he does.  

Now if someone could only beat out Satele.  

Given how ankle injuries can linger, I'm hoping that Ijalana, Reitz, and maybe even Justin Anderson are give reps at RG.  I would hope that any of those three could beat out McGlynn...particularly partial to Reitz.

Starting line up right now doesn't guarantee you a starting job unless your name is Castonzo, Cherilus, or Thomas I believe that's his name.

Satele & McGlynn aren't safe. I look for Josh Chapman to make the oline coach realize that McGlynn is not the answer. And for RJF to make him see Satele isn't the answer once these pads get on

Well, you asked why some people assumed McGlynn would be the starter.  He's the starter right now.  We all hope that changes, sooner rather than later.

I'll be very interested to see how Khaled Holmes comes along.  Grigson mentioned at draft time that he could possibly play guard, and I've been fairly intrigued since the team listed him at 319 lbs.  Now that he's 100% (as opposed to how he was when playing as a Senior), he could push Satele or even McGlynn (if Thornton stays out longer than expected).

I'll be very interested to see how Khaled Holmes comes along.  Grigson mentioned at draft time that he could possibly play guard, and I've been fairly intrigued since the team listed him at 319 lbs.  Now that he's 100% (as opposed to how he was when playing as a Senior), he could push Satele or even McGlynn (if Thornton stays out longer than expected).

I will be extremely happy if the only starter from last year's O-line left this year is Castanzo.  

I'll be very interested to see how Khaled Holmes comes along. Grigson mentioned at draft time that he could possibly play guard, and I've been fairly intrigued since the team listed him at 319 lbs. Now that he's 100% (as opposed to how he was when playing as a Senior), he could push Satele or even McGlynn (if Thornton stays out longer than expected).

This occurred to me as well. I have to say though, at the guard position Thornton is vastly superior to Holmes. I hope he heals quickly. It doesn't bode well for a rookie lineman fighting for playing time and a chance to steal a starting spot to be missing reps.

don't know about that, but at mini camps both thorton and holmes played exclusively at RG and C, respectively.. the coaching staff said they didn't want to overwhelm them by learning multiple positions.. so i guess holmes isn't an option for RG..

This occurred to me as well. I have to say though, at the guard position Thornton is vastly superior to Holmes. I hope he heals quickly. It doesn't bode well for a rookie lineman fighting for playing time and a chance to steal a starting spot to be missing reps.

You're correct, this is a bad time to be sitting out.  But I don't know how you can say Thorton is vastly superior to Holmes.  Holmes was injured in college.  But even given that, you can't make a comparison until they both play as pros.

I'd love to see both of those guys crack the starting lineup at some time this season.  And I'd love to see Iljalana make it as a back up T.

Mcglynn is better than the rest of guards on the roster. Linkenbach, Reitz and Ijalana

McGlynn is horrible. Only reason he's even on the roster is because of his association with Grigson from their days with the Eagles

Reitz was the better guard last year tho injured