Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OchoCinco gets 30 days

oldunclemark

..and lets be clear...former NFL player (a certain phrase now) Chad Johnson

was lucky not to get 30 months for head-butting his crazy wife...

...but his polo-shirt wearing,  clown act behavior blew up his plea deal...

.....NEWS FLASH: In court, the judge can do anything within the law  to you that he or she wants.

..and its fair........plea deals are a way to avoid conviction on a meore srious crime

Stand still and say nothing,. unless you are told to...apologize for everything,

The judge is right ...you are wrong.. Wear a suit and look like you are sorry

......(which is different from being sorry-looking)....

.......or the plea deal (a favor to you) goes away and you get the punishment for the original crime...

..none of this should be news to anyone who's ever watched Law & Order.......

Both wrong.  She had reason, but overreacted. And Chad should have been better dressed and with less motion (acting more serious). The judge overreacted to courtroom laughter (none of which was Chad himself). Head butt thing was already adjudicated to probation.  This appearance was over parole violation.  She was ready to let him walk over the violation until she baited him into congratulating his attorney, which he did by an onfield/lockeroom fanny slap.  That told her he really was NOT serious and rejected the plea bargain she had 99% already accepted.  My feeling is she will likely let him out within a a day or two or be forever known as the judge who gave him probation for the headbutt of a female (then wife), but jailed him for a fanny slap of his male attorney.

Looks bad for both IMHO.

Both wrong.  She had reason, but overreacted. And Chad should have been better dressed and with less motion (acting more serious). The judge overreacted to courtroom laughter (none of which was Chad himself). Head butt thing was already adjudicated to probation.  This appearance was over parole violation.  She was ready to let him walk over the violation until she baited him into congratulating his attorney, which he did by an onfield/lockeroom fanny slap.  That told her he really was NOT serious and rejected the plea bargain she had 99% already accepted.  My feeling is she will likely let him out within a a day or two or be forever known as the judge who gave him probation for the headbutt of a female (then wife), but jailed him for a fanny slap of his male attorney.

Looks bad for both IMHO.

Nailed it.

Looks bad for both IMHO.

Not mine..Chad blew it again. 

The judge had NOT 99% accepted the deal..   Its 0% or 100% Nothing is certain until she lays down the final hammer. 

I thought everyone knew that......Chad didnt and he blew it with his sophomoric behavior but it didnt sound like she was totally behind giving him yet another pass on bad behavior..to begin with. She was only agreeing with the two atorneys

.. the entire reason for him and his attorney to address her is that he will take probation seriously THIS TIME and not violate a court order like he did before. She does not have to accept the plea deal. It is 100% up to her and ANY REASON is valid.

That's the law. ..  It isnt possible for her to overreact...as you suggest

She accepts the deal or rejects it. Many plea deals are rejected. She rejected this one...and Chad spends the week in jail.

Understand. This case was about wife beating....and he's clowning in front of a female judge.

.the probation violation was for wife beating...probation violation in itself isnt a crime. And Ocho was already guilty. The judge can do whatever she wants with someone who has already been convicted....and she probably doenst like getting plea deals for wife smackers..

Probation in itself is giving the convicted person a break.  I've seen Chad's been interviewed many, many times.  We all have. He can be funny and decent. But he does not always seem serious about things.and he feels fate conspires against him. That's his nature.

We did not see every interaction between this judge and OchoCinco...but you misunderstand one key fact.

...after a plea deal..the judge ALWAYS tells the defendent to thank his attorney...because he's being done a favor...by the proisecutor...That was nothing unusual....That's not baiting...Not in any way....

If Chad was sharp he would have grasped her suggestion that he thank his attorney as a subtle hint that, She wa s hinting, that if it was up to her, he'd have done hard time. . He should have said yes maam. and bowed his head for beating his wife.  

Locker room butt slaps are out of place...He played and he paid.

But lets be serious. In the real world, Ocho lucky not to get 30 monrths for striking his wife....

He';s a special case....so he got a plea deal.....before he saw the judge   .

He offended her and the judge cannot be wrong in that situation. She had just 2 choices and has the power to take either. She decided he needed time in jail.

Chad' s football life is a series of people trying to do him favors and him screwing up..

A few days i jail will do him good... I agreee. She will let him out...

But the judge was right without question because, in this situation...the judge is all-powerful and cannot be wrong

Not mine..Chad blew it again. 

Agreed! the Chad part.

{snipped for brevity}

But the judge was right without question because, in this situation...the judge is all-powerful and cannot be wrong

You get your opinion, but seems another saw it the way I did-

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergroves/2013/06/11/questionable-ethics-by-the-judge-that-jailed-chad-johnson/

Locker room butt slaps are out of place...He played and he paid.

So because she requested that he should "thank" his lawyer, and he did so very subtlety, he was somehow then bonded to a specific forum of thanks? She never specified that he use a more conventional form of thanking. 

You can see it on her face. She wasn't sure if what she was doing was wrong or not. Her own bailiff looked at the camera and laughed. If ANYONE in that courtroom needed discipline, it was that bailiff and any other representative of the court whom may have laughed. 

Did she even take into account that he spent almost his entire life in an environment where butt-slapping was considered an encouraging and congratulatory expression? 

Probation in itself is giving the convicted person a break.

I seriously hope you don't believe that.

It's a way of saving money. It's also, ironically, a way of helping to ensure recidivism. You see, probation is way of jailing people without walls and only because it's cheaper. Their freedoms are suspended while they're "free". 

She accepts the deal or rejects it. Many plea deals are rejected. She rejected this one...and Chad spends the week in jail.

The problem is that she accepted it and then threw it in his face because her own sheriff's deputies decided to laugh out loud as if #85 amused them so greatly. She was specific. She said she was mad because "the whole courtroom laughed".

What reason does she have to think he intended on getting a laugh?

Why is it his fault that people laughed? 

Both Chad and the Judge were both acting like jerks IMO. 

Typically the response to someone acting like a jerk in a courtroom is to hold them in contempt. That's usually a brief lockup, like to the end of the day or maybe overnight, not 30 days. 

Like the AG said, this brings judicial temperament into question.

Good stuff. Especially this:

Yes, it was bad judgment to use the football form of compliment in court. It is also bad judgment to come to court wearing casual cut-up jeans, or chewing gum, or reading the paper, or talking loudly, or berating opposing counsel or a witness. All of that happens more often than it should, but the offender doesn’t get 30 days in jail and more than a year of additional probation. If this judge had not been blinded by her misreading of the situation, she would have and should have done three things – verbally chastise Johnson again, accept the apology, and then do what judge’s routinely do, endorse the settlement agreement.

The judge overacted. She felt disrespected by the laughter, not by the reality of his act. Her own court deputy chuckled.  The appropriate direction of her anger should have been to chastise him and use the gavel that is put there to maintain order over the audience. But she took it out on the defendant. An important part of being a good judge is carefully controlling her own emotions so that the punishment provided is based on the law, not her personal feelings. We would all want the same. And that ideal is part of why we respect our judicial system.

So because she requested that he should "thank" his lawyer, and he did so very subtlety, he was somehow then bonded to a specific forum of thanks? She never specified that he use a more conventional form of thanking. 

You can see it on her face. She wasn't sure if what she was doing was wrong or not. Her own bailiff looked at the camera and laughed. If ANYONE in that courtroom needed discipline, it was that bailiff and any other representative of the court whom may have laughed. 

Did she even take into account that he spent almost his entire life in an environment where butt-slapping was considered an encouraging and congratulatory expression? 

I seriously hope you don't believe that.

It's a way of saving money. It's also, ironically, a way of helping to ensure recidivism. You see, probation is way of jailing people without walls and only because it's cheaper. Their freedoms are suspended while they're "free". 

The problem is that she accepted it and then threw it in his face because her own sheriff's deputies decided to laugh out loud as if #85 amused them so greatly. She was specific. She said she was mad because "the whole courtroom laughed".

What reason does she have to think he intended on getting a laugh?

Why is it his fault that people laughed? 

The judge was insulted by the laughs Chad caused. Lets take a close loko at that.

A woman judge being highly-insulted by laughs at a trial for wide beating.

Go figure.

I understand what you might have thought but in court....(and you are told this) that nothing is final until you get out of the jujge's courtroom.

The debate about the judge and what she did is pointless. Yoiu dont get to question the decisions of a sitting judge.

It does not matter what her reasons were. The judge rules the courtroom absolutely.

To say she had accepted the deal isnt true...Clearly she rejected it.....'upon further review'  which the judge always has the power to make at any point...until you gte out of there.. It doesn't have to seem fair. He was guilty.

It is Chad's fault that people laughed. He made them laugh....with an innocent locker-room gesture. It was out of place.

It does not matter if he intended to get laughs or not. Im a big fan of Chad but his adult life is a series of things that he could (and does) argue 'are not all his fault' 

Court is a VERY serious place and the outcome here was very fair.

..and it doesnt matter what  I believe....the fact is that probabtion is giving the convicted person a break..

Only people who are convicted of something get probation .it is often given in lieu of some or more jail time

That's what its for. Dont ask me how I know.

Chad head-butted his wife....Like the butt-slap..he may not have meant to do it.

Jail time is fair for hitting your wife. I'd like to hear him say that.  Wouldnt you?

The judge was insulted by the laughs Chad caused. Lets take a close loko at that.

A woman judge being highly-insulted by laughs at a trial for wide beating.

Go figure.

Indeed. She was taking this "wife beating" so serious, in fact, she was willing to let him walk. That is until he smacked his lawyer on the butt. Apparently beating your wife will get you probation. Smacking your lawyers butt will get you locked up. 

Go figure. 

You dont get to question the decisions of a sitting judge.

It does not matter what her reasons were. The judge rules the courtroom absolutely.

Me? No. She does have to answer to others though. You act like a judge is granted impunity to violate peoples constitutional rights and/or impose the death penalty for jaywalking  if she/he so desires. See "independent grand jury. Judges can rule whatever they want. They can also lose their jobs for acting the way that ditsy judge decided to act.

Indeed. She was taking this "wife beating" so serious, in fact, she was willing to let him walk. That is until he smacked his lawyer on the butt. Apparently beating your wife will get you probation. Smacking your lawyers butt will get you locked up. 

Go figure. 

Me? No. She does have to answer to others though. You act like a judge is granted impunity to violate peoples constitutional rights and/or impose the death penalty for jaywalking  if she/he so desires. See "independent grand jury. Judges can rule whatever they want. They can also lose their jobs for acting the way that ditsy judge decided to act.

Ruk......Look at this case more......the judge actually had more than 2 choices...it was not 30 days or probabtion.....(the maximum is a year) ..he was already judged guilty..She didnt give him max time and she could have.

The judge isnt on trial and you know she isnt going to get reprimanded for giving a domestic violence offender and probation violator a mere 30 days .(imagine the stir that would cause) .so forget that nonsense.

He didnt get 30 days for butt slapping..he got 30 days for the original act...which could have drawn him a year in jail.

This myth that she had already agreed to let him shows a vivid misunderstanding of how the courtroom...works

Until you get out of there....you are in jeapordy...(I'm somewhat relieved that no one here exhibits vast experience as a defendant) The attorneys may be pals but the lawyers and judges are usually not friends....judges do plea deals as courtesy ... to save time and money

Everyone misses here that everyone involved was tryong to do Ocho a favor again....probably because the defender and prosecutor agreed....That's why she wanted him to thank the atorneys..That's why they ALWAYS say that.. he's just such a big kid that he keeps screwing up and saying "I didnt mean to do that'..again and again..I'm convinced he didnt mean to hit his wife...

It was one of those mid-arguement athletic reactions..(kinda like butt slapping, huh?)...

Nobody's constitutional rights were on the table here. He was already guilty.....he violated probation

Again..Ocho got a pass.......and he'll get another soon..

I think the judge will give him the 'Lindsey Lohan' star treatment and cut his time short of 30 days....

Chad Johnson gets 30 days in jail after upsetting judge

8:11 p.m. EDT June 10, 2013
1370878384000-AP-Chad-Johnson-Arrest-130

Chad Johnson hasn't played in the NFL since the 2011 season.

•  

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Former NFL star Chad Johnson was sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail for a probation violation in a domestic violence case by a judge who angrily rejected a no-jail plea deal after Johnson playfully slapped his attorney on the backside in court.

Johnson, known as Chad Ochocinco for his jersey number in Spanish during his playing days, had reached a deal with prosecutors calling for community service and counseling instead of jail. Broward County Circuit Judge Kathleen McHugh said she would tack on an additional three months' probation because Johnson had failed to meet with his probation officer during three previous months.

It was all set until Johnson, when asked by McHugh if he was satisfied with his lawyer Adam Swickle, gave the attorney a light swat on the rear — as football players routinely do to each other on the field. The courtroom erupted in laughter and at that McHugh said she wouldn't accept the deal.

"I don't know that you're taking this whole thing seriously. I just saw you slap your attorney on the backside. Is there something funny about this?" McHugh said, slapping the plea deal document down on her desk. "The whole courtroom was laughing. I'm not going to accept these plea negotiations. This isn't a joke."

Johnson, 35, tried to apologize and insisted he meant no disrespect. Johnson was on probation after pleading no contest to head-butting his then-wife, TV reality star Evelyn Lozada, during an altercation last August. She quickly filed for divorce after barely a month of marriage and Johnson, a six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, was immediately released by the Miami Dolphins. He didn't play at all last season.

"This is your courtroom. I have no intent to make this a joke. It's not funny," Johnson told the judge "My life is in a shambles right now and I try my best to laugh and keep a smile on my face."

But McHugh, who could have given Johnson up to a year in jail, was not moved. "It's not the first time he's behaved that way in my courtroom," she said.

Johnson then was handcuffed and hauled away to jail. Swickle declined comment on whether he would ask the judge to reduce her sentence.

Johnson has been undergoing therapy aimed at helping people involved in domestic violence but has not signed with another NFL team. He said in court Monday he hoped that would change in the upcoming football season, but now faces another setback.

I think i'm one of the only people who actually likes Johnson and tbh i hope he gets picked up by a team, would be a sad way for his career to end. It probably will have ended after all of this, when he got released from the dolphins that was probably his last chance.

Honestly i think the bengals should pick him up, probably for like the minimum wage. Thats what i hope happens.

But the judge is:   All powerful in the courrtroom and alowed to be a jerk

And the judge isnt:  A convincted offender and probation violator...

They arent equals at all..

And the judge can have an investigation launched based upon their decision.  Fortunately for McHugh, attorney general for the state of FL has decided not to intervene at this time.  I assume it is because Chad has a hearing 6/17 requesting his jail sentence be dropped.

"Although we never condone domestic violence, this event seems to question judicial temperament, not the subject matter before the court," Bondi told TMZ Tuesday.

Bondi's office said Wednesday morning that she would not intervene in the case or launch an investigation of McHugh.

"No formal action will be taken by our office," spokeswoman Jenn Meale said via email today.

The AG isn't, but could have. And she raised questions on the decision as it stands.

I saw the video and I felt it was an overreaction.

I don't know the facts of the DV case so I'm not commenting on that in terms of the punishment.  But it certainly seemed like the Judge overreacted.  The guy pat's his attorney on the back to thank him for keeping him out of jail, a few people laugh (which I failed to see what was so funny about it.) and she takes it all out on him.

For the record I do want to point out that both my wife and I thought that his ex-wife didn't seem like the most psychologically stable person and felt that the abuse may have very well been mutual here.  

Lets not forget that Kim Kardashian physically abused her 72 day husband on national television for the entire country to see and faced no charges.  

I'm glad he's out.....Judging from a distance......he's not the kind of person who would do well in jail...it probably hurt him

He's not a bad guy or a hard guy,.

But he's got the whole second half of his life ahead....

He's a natural for TV.....People love him....the NFL: network would love him

Guys like Waren Sapp and Deion have had tons of personal problems...but they're earning a good check and having fun.

One day, he may thank the judge for making him sit a week in jail.  She did the right thing for him long term.

Gave him time to think about where he's headed

Tough love....you said it right

Winnah!  But I expect more from one of those parties.  So does the Florida Attorney General-

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/06/bondi-criticizes-judge-who-sentenced-ochocinco-to-jail.html

Typically the response to someone acting like a jerk in a courtroom is to hold them in contempt. That's usually a brief lockup, like to the end of the day or maybe overnight, not 30 days. 

Like the AG said, this brings judicial temperament into question.

Agree with you guys on this.

So much of law is based on precedent, which is a good thing. If the judge's treatment of Johnson was atypical then yes, she made a bad decision. Granted he's a giant doofus for butt-slapping his lawyer in a court of law... I mean, wait until you get into the hallway, or the parking garage, or whatever. Dum-dum. 

Agree with you guys on this.

So much of law is based on precedent, which is a good thing. If the judge's treatment of Johnson was atypical then yes, she made a bad decision. Granted he's a giant doofus for butt-slapping his lawyer in a court of law... I mean, wait until you get into the hallway, or the parking garage, or whatever. Dum-dum. 

I prefer to do my butt slapping in private, but I'm a shy kind of guy really.....

I'm glad he's out.....Judging from a distance......he's not the kind of person who would do well in jail...it probably hurt him

He's not a bad guy or a hard guy,.

But he's got the whole second half of his life ahead....

He's a natural for TV.....People love him....the NFL: network would love him

Guys like Waren Sapp and Deion have had tons of personal problems...but they're earning a good check and having fun.

One day, he may thank the judge for making him sit a week in jail.  She did the right thing for him long term.

Gave him time to think about where he's headed

Tough love....you said it right

One day already happened. Now, was it solid coaching (by his attorney) and that Chad decided to follow the game plan or is it really sincere?

A complete overreaction by the judge and just the judging just trying to flex their muscle.  Just a waste of tax dollars to go and house Chad for seven days when there was nothing hurt by what Chad other than the judge's soft ego.

35a1648.jpg

2564tbt.jpg

Yup. The judge's ego was the only thing hurt here.  :hmm:  I can understand why a person might lose their patience dealing with a criminal who did this, got probation instead of jail time, proceeded to blow off said probation for THREE straight months and then continued to act casual and nonchalant during a court session for a plea deal to escape jail time yet again. He didn't take the initial probation seriously and his demeanor indicated that he wasn't taking this proceeding that seriously either. That's why she was ticked.

I just find it sad, not surprising, but sad that most of the vitriol about this has been directed at the judge and not the criminal. He ended up spending a grand total of seven days in jail for blowing off probation for doing that to his girlfriend and people are mad at the judge? A seven days in jail is a miscarriage of justice for this? :facepalm: Sad.

35a1648.jpg

2564tbt.jpg

Yup. The judge's ego was the only thing hurt here.  :hmm:  I can understand why a person might lose their patience dealing with a criminal who did this, got probation instead of jail time, proceeded to blow off said probation for THREE straight months and then continued to act casual and nonchalant during a court session for a plea deal to escape jail time yet again. He didn't take the initial probation seriously and his demeanor indicated that he wasn't taking this proceeding that seriously either. That's why she was ticked.

I just find it sad, not surprising, but sad that most of the vitriol about this has been directed at the judge and not the criminal. He ended up spending a grand total of seven days in jail for blowing off probation for doing that to his girlfriend and people are mad at the judge? A seven days in jail is a miscarriage of justice for this? :facepalm: Sad.

It is a waste of tax payer dollars to send a guy to jail because he butt slapped his lawyer. What Chad did to his girlfriend should be what he went to jail for not because he butt slapped his lawyer.  

It is a waste of tax payer dollars to send a guy to jail because he butt slapped his lawyer. What Chad did to his girlfriend should be what he went to jail for not because he butt slapped his lawyer.  

Honestly? I would be 100% fine with my tax payer dollars sending him to jail. I don't blame the judge one bit.

One day already happened. Now, was it solid coaching (by his attorney) and that Chad decided to follow the game plan or is it really sincere?

Good point......CBF.......Its hard to tell with OchoCinco.........

Remember..this is the guy who at this trial for domestic abuse.. 

...put his arm around the female prosecuting attorney.....and had to be warned by the judge to behave

He dodged a major bullet here......the max sentence was a year...

'Chad being Chad' just has to stop ..

..or he'll be back in court....soon

I see he got on his knees and appeased her majesty's precious ego with a forced apology.

She deserves to be spat on and beaten, not apologized to.  

He needed to hit his kness.  The legal system is what it is...

The judge, who most certainly does rule (they all do) at a trial,  comes out looking much stronger,,,,,,,,..with the more details that come out

...Touching and  caressing the female prosecuting attorney at a wife beating trial when you are the defendant????   OMG

..That should have gotten Ocho a maximum sentence from some judges.......He's very, very lucky.

......But unless he grows up, that kind of playful arrogance will eventually give Chad permanent residence at the gray bar motel.

He needed to hit his kness.  The legal system is what it is...

The judge, who most certainly does rule (they all do) at a trial,  comes out looking much stronger,,,,,,,,..with the more details that come out

...Touching and  caressing the female prosecuting attorney at a wife beating trial when you are the defendant????   OMG

..That should have gotten Ocho a maximum sentence from some judges.......He's very, very lucky.

......But unless he grows up, that kind of playful arrogance will eventually give Chad permanent residence at the gray bar motel.

Did he touch and caress her? Or did he just put his arm around her?

Inappropriate courtroom behavior usually results in a contempt charge, and a night in lockup. It doesn't usually result in the probation agreement that's been agreed to by both sides being thrown out, and then a jail sentence being handed down by the judge. 

This is separate from the legal issue. The domestic violence charge had been handled already, with the probation agreement.

Sometimes justice comes in a round about way. He thought he was above the law. His millions of dollars didn't help him there. He had to grovel, and no doubt that hurt him more than his time in the clink.