Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano on playing AFC South offenses....

NewColtsFan

In a story from ESPN AFC South Blogger Paul Kuharsky,  it has Pagano talking about the fact that all three of our divisional opponents basically run the same type of zone-stretch offensive running games.

J'Ville, Tennessee and Houston all run similar running systems.... and that, Pagano believes, gives us something of an advantage...

We play those teams 6 times...   so when we study tape,  his message is the same....   whatever the helmet and uniforms look like the plays are basically the same...   

A good read....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50464/for-titans-and-jaguars-texans-like-offenses

Interesting. While I knew that improving our run defense was essential giving the running attacks we face (MJD, Chris Johnson, and Arian Foster can all shred a D on any given week), I didn't realize how similar the schemes were until now. 

I wonder if that also means we'll approach our own run game differently in an attempt to not give our division rivals the same looks they'll play and practice against most frequently. Sounds like our transition to an inside power game is coming at the right time.

Personnel matters. .   

In a story from ESPN AFC South Blogger Paul Kuharsky,  it has Pagano talking about the fact that all three of our divisional opponents basically run the same type of zone-stretch offensive running games.

J'Ville, Tennessee and Houston all run similar running systems.... and that, Pagano believes, gives us something of an advantage...

We play those teams 6 times...   so when we study tape,  his message is the same....   whatever the helmet and uniforms look like the plays are basically the same...   

A good read....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/50464/for-titans-and-jaguars-texans-like-offenses

Indy was the team to beat in the AFC South for a long time.  You build ur team to, first, win the division.  Indy was weak against the run, so the Jags, titans, and texans all built strong running teams.  Things have changed and now the colts have a strong run D.  :)

Kyle love your thinking and can't wait to see our D in action. I'm confident it will be much improved but have to wait to see them on the field. The thing I like is depth. Stacked with hogs up front like never before. Like Jimmy Johnson used to say "cowards get tired" and we won't be tired with all the hogs on the line subbing in and out!

Interesting to think of years that we could stop CJ, but once we went against Foster and MJD, we got torched.

Hopefully the outcome is different this year.

I know many will say that CJ is great but I just don't see it.  I think the rb's in our div. are some of the best in football, we can't be a "thin up front" defense.  It just doesn't make any good sense.  Get fat up front!  The free agency signings should help add some much needed weight to a lean defense.

Personnel matters. .   

Personnel matters. .   

Without question, you're very much correct.    Two team running the same plays,  the team with the better personnel will clearly and obviously run them much better and more successfully.

Good point, JD...   

Indy was the team to beat in the AFC South for a long time.  You build ur team to, first, win the division.  Indy was weak against the run, so the Jags, titans, and texans all built strong running teams.  Things have changed and now the colts have a strong run D.   :)

With the Jags and the Titans maybe they should have built an offense with a real quarterback.  Especially the Jags. . . Jake Locker would at least be a good backup.   

With the Jags and the Titans maybe they should have built an offense with a real quarterback.  Especially the Jags. . . Jake Locker would at least be a good backup.   

I agree.  My best friend is a Titans fan...ewww....   

"Next year" is always the year Locker will be great.

Fortunately for us the days of Swiss Cheese are over

Nothing is set in stone yet. On paper, maybe. But the Titans and Texans have pretty good O-lines as well, our run D is sure going to be tested with those chop blocks and other stunts those OL will pull against our DL.

Nothing is set in stone yet. On paper, maybe. But the Titans and Texans have pretty good O-lines as well, our run D is sure going to be tested with those chop blocks and other stunts those OL will pull against our DL.

We shall see,The Texans didn't exactly manhandle us last year :funny:  IMO we should've won both games.In fact the longer the season went the more overated I thought the Texans Offense was 

We shall see,The Texans didn't exactly manhandle us last year :funny:  IMO we should've won both games.In fact the longer the season went the more overated I thought the Texans Offense was 

I'm in agreement in that first game against the Texans didn't we turn the ball over like 2 or 3 times in the redzone?

We where not dominating that game, but you cut some really terrible mistakes out of that game and it's a much closer game that probably goes down to the wire.

I'm in agreement in that first game against the Texans didn't we turn the ball over like 2 or 3 times in the redzone?

We where not dominating that game, but you cut some really terrible mistakes out of that game and it's a much closer game that probably goes down to the wire.

IMO its a game we should've won outright but your right about TOs

IMO its a game we should've won outright but your right about TOs

Since we're throwing out opinions, here's mine.

We honestly should've SWEPT the entire division. Jags got lucky game #1 and we killed ourselves game #1 @Hou

I honestly believe this year we'll go 5-1 or 6-0 in the division. I only say 5-1 cause we always get plagued with injuries seems like. But last year with a patchwork team we went 4-2.

That's just my opinion though

I still think we take the division this year and end up with a #3 or #4 seed in the AFC with a 11-5 record, same as last year but against a better schedule, IMO, beating out Houston who ends up as a wild card with 10-6.

Since we're throwing out opinions, here's mine.

We honestly should've SWEPT the entire division. Jags got lucky game #1 and we killed ourselves game #1 @Hou

I honestly believe this year we'll go 5-1 or 6-0 in the division. I only say 5-1 cause we always get plagued with injuries seems like. But last year with a patchwork team we went 4-2.

That's just my opinion though

Oh the Jags game was worse. One of the worst defensive screw ups ever. 

I have heard chimes that Tennessee might be having Locker run some Read-option this year... would be interesting to see how we deal with it, although we are playing Seattle and San Fran before we meet them.

And he'll get his shoulder destroyed again if he does

And he'll get his shoulder destroyed again if he does

I hope so, but to me the read-option is more than a fad, it was extremely effective last years and exposed defenses who only specialized in run or pass defense. Only teams that can stop the run and passing game with the same personnel on the field are likely to be successful against it. 

I hope so, but to me the read-option is more than a fad, it was extremely effective last years and exposed defenses who only specialized in run or pass defense. Only teams that can stop the run and passing game with the same personnel on the field are likely to be successful against it.

Titans gonna try to have Jake Locker do the read option? I forsee Mike Munchaks 3rd season or Dowell Loggains 6th season with the Titans being his last

Locker is soft. There's no way he'll take the hits he'll take if he runs that. Let Mathis get ahold of him. Or Big Chapman..... or even worse. If Laron hits him, that's the end of the Locker days in TEN. They're in no position to run that. Who's the back up behind Locker? If he goes down, their season is over basically

Titans gonna try to have Jake Locker do the read option? I forsee Mike Munchaks 3rd season or Dowell Loggains 6th season with the Titans being his last

I don't know for sure, just heard rumblings.

I actually think he is well suited to it, especially with what should be a dangerous running game this year.

I think Locker has a lot of potential, I would have him ahead of Bradford and Freeman in the Top QBs 25 and under, maybe not in terms of performance but in terms of potential. He has all the tools, but struggles with pocket footwork and progressions, the read-option could mask these deficiencies.

Locker is soft. There's no way he'll take the hits he'll take if he runs that. Let Mathis get ahold of him. Or Big Chapman..... or even worse. If Laron hits him, that's the end of the Locker days in TEN. They're in no position to run that. Who's the back up behind Locker? If he goes down, their season is over basically

Kaepernick slid in the read-option last year and barely ever got touched. You do not have to take big hits running it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is his backup, definitely not capable of running read-option but a solid backup.

Kaepernick slid in the read-option last year and barely ever got touched. You do not have to take big hits running it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is his backup, definitely not capable of running read-option but a solid backup.

Ahh, the Harvard man. Yeah, I recommend they don't run it. Locker is barely a good QB as it is now. Why give him something like that?

Kapernick didn't get touched cause of Frank Gore and that illegal offensive line they have with all that talent. Kapernick & Locker are two different people. Locker should just stick to the offense they run now.

Ahh, the Harvard man. Yeah, I recommend they don't run it. Locker is barely a good QB as it is now. Why give him something like that?

Kapernick didn't get touched cause of Frank Gore and that illegal offensive line they have with all that talent. Kapernick & Locker are two different people. Locker should just stick to the offense they run now.

Do you know how good an athlete Locker is?

Plus they signed two potentially elite run-game Guards in Warmack and Levitre.

Do you know how good an athlete Locker is?

Plus they signed two potentially elite run-game Guards in Warmack and Levitre.

Locker is garbage. He was garbage in College and he's garbage now. Just like Gabbert, he was taken wayy before he should've been in the draft. I'm telling you now, if he runs the read option, he will get destroyed.

Now, I want the Colts to win the division just like everyone else on this forum but at least make us earn it. If Locker goes down, that leaves Schuab as the only real WB competition in the division

Locker is garbage. He was garbage in College and he's garbage now. Just like Gabbert, he was taken wayy before he should've been in the draft. I'm telling you now, if he runs the read option, he will get destroyed.

Now, I want the Colts to win the division just like everyone else on this forum but at least make us earn it. If Locker goes down, that leaves Schuab as the only real WB competition in the division

Ugh, yet again you choose to ignore logic.

Running the read-option would help mask Locker's deficiencies, and play to his strengths. I am not saying he is the makings of an elite QB or anything close, I am saying he is one of the most athletic QB's in the league with a good arm who can't go through progressions... who do you help that? You use the read-option with the help of an elite running game.

You seem to imply that he needs to be better too run the R-O, when in fact it's the opposite, he needs to be better to run a WCO. The R-O allows him to maximize his superb athleticism, it plays to his strengths, and Tennessee's strengths.

Ugh, yet again you choose to ignore logic.

Running the read-option would help mask Locker's deficiencies, and play to his strengths. I am not saying he is the makings of an elite QB or anything close, I am saying he is one of the most athletic QB's in the league with a good arm who can't go through progressions... who do you help that? You use the read-option with the help of an elite running game.

You seem to imply that he needs to be better too run the R-O, when in fact it's the opposite, he needs to be better to run a WCO. The R-O allows him to maximize his superb athleticism, it plays to his strengths, and Tennessee's strengths.

I'm saying he can't run the read option because he'll get hit. He can't run out of bounds each play sometimes he won't be able to make it. This is now an entire off-season for defenses to prepare for it. Locker is gonna get hurt. Some plays he won't be able to slide or run out of bounds and he can't take hits to that shoulder of his. That's all I'm saying

I'm saying he can't run the read option because he'll get hit. He can't run out of bounds each play sometimes he won't be able to make it. This is now an entire off-season for defenses to prepare for it. Locker is gonna get hurt. Some plays he won't be able to slide or run out of bounds and he can't take hits to that shoulder of his. That's all I'm saying

Why can't he? I have had operations on both of my shoulders, I did extensive rehab, and now they are the strongest part of my body... he is a professional athlete his shoulders will be fine. And anyway, shoulder subluxation/dislocation occurs when your arms are outstretched, that is much more likely to happen if he is hit when throwing than it is when he is running with the ball tucked. I am sorry but that is not a substantial argument.

As for defenses preparing for the read-option... maybe, I don't know, but the wildcat it is not. It will not be as easily stopped as many seem to believe.

I don't know for sure, just heard rumblings.

I actually think he is well suited to it, especially with what should be a dangerous running game this year.

I think Locker has a lot of potential, I would have him ahead of Bradford and Freeman in the Top QBs 25 and under, maybe not in terms of performance but in terms of potential. He has all the tools, but struggles with pocket footwork and progressions, the read-option could mask these deficiencies.

I really dont the the read option will be here to stay, I believe it will be a part of a teams offense..a play here or a play there but I dont think its a concept a team will be able to build upon long term and if it is I think we will be seeing more injuries to many if not all of these young QB's that run it, Just a matter of bringing that Safety up and him keeping contain to the inside  along with the OLB widening his containment to the outside

I really dont the the read option will be here to stay, I believe it will be a part of a teams offense..a play here or a play there but I dont think its a concept a team will be able to build upon long term and if it is I think we will be seeing more injuries to many if not all of these young QB's that run it, Just a matter of bringing that Safety up and him keeping contain to the inside  along with the OLB widening his containment to the outside

In relation to the read option being here to stay, I dunno, maybe, maybe not. No team runs it every play, but when in a pistol formation and the threat of it being there, a defense must respect it, the Redskins executed it to a tee.

In terms of OLB edging over to the sideline and the Safety stepping up... that is far too much of a generalization and if it was that easy it would have been stopped last year. What if the QB runs a misdirection? Or the slot guy goes deep on play-action?

I am not saying the read-option is the future of football, I am saying it worked and has not yet been stopped consistently. And I think running it would work for Tennesee, although I still don't think they'll be a real threat to us.