Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hasselback calls Luck "off the charts" impressive

chad72

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have a blog on Monday morning on Hasselbeck and it's great to hear what the 15-year veteran has brought to the quarterbacks room.

Pretty impressive for a guy with his talent to be able to take a backup role in an effort to try and win a Super Bowl.

Hasselbeck is invaluable to that room and not only is his on the field talent is not backup worthy, his knowledge and wisdom will be vital for Luck and Harnish.

Agreed RC, but I also believe, like TKnight alluded to, that Luck will benefit from Hasselbeck's experience in ways that Drew Stanton couldn't. He'll be worth his weight just to be able to lend a hand with preparing for the Titans and the other teams in the AFC South, as he started in 8 games for Tennessee last year. One more thing will be evident, especially, during preseason. Should Matt go under center, all things being equal, he'll be able to move the chains and "matriculate" (thanks Hank) the ball downfield.

If you'll painfully remember when a certain player wearing #18 went down to injury, we had no one to pick up the slack. Now we do. A lesson learned the hard way....

Agreed RC, but I also believe, like TKnight alluded to, that Luck will benefit from Hasselbeck's experience in ways that Drew Stanton couldn't. He'll be worth his weight just to be able to lend a hand with preparing for the Titans and the other teams in the AFC South, as he started in 8 games for Tennessee last year. One more thing will be evident, especially, during preseason. Should Matt go under center, all things being equal, he'll be able to move the chains and "matriculate" (thanks Hank) the ball downfield.

If you'll painfully remember when a certain player wearing #18 went down to injury, we had no one to pick up the slack. Now we do. A lesson learned the hard way....

You took the words right out my mouth, couldnt agree more. 

I wouldn't choose to have learned it any other way, good things became of it. =) 

Agreed RC, but I also believe, like TKnight alluded to, that Luck will benefit from Hasselbeck's experience in ways that Drew Stanton couldn't. He'll be worth his weight just to be able to lend a hand with preparing for the Titans and the other teams in the AFC South, as he started in 8 games for Tennessee last year. One more thing will be evident, especially, during preseason. Should Matt go under center, all things being equal, he'll be able to move the chains and "matriculate" (thanks Hank) the ball downfield.

Well when lucks rookie contract runs out, along with all the others, were probably going to end up in the sane spot. High paid backups is not typical. I'm not positive, but are we paying hassleback more than we were paying painter?

Well when lucks rookie contract runs out, along with all the others, were probably going to end up in the sane spot. High paid backups is not typical. I'm not positive, but are we paying hassleback more than we were paying painter?

By a considerable distance, yes. Two entirely different situations though, how much would Manning have benefited from Hasselback's experience?

Love the addition of Hasselback... Remember when Fitzpatrick was cut from the Bills, a buddy of mine & I thought he could be a decent back-up for Luck, then Hasselback was signed & we couldn't believe it, were ashamed to have even had the discussion about Fitzpatrick...

Anyways, I've always respected Hasselback, glad he is wearing a horseshoe now!!!

By a considerable distance, yes. Two entirely different situations though, how much would Manning have benefited from Hasselback's experience?

Too true, Anton. But it always pays to have an experienced QB in the fold. For a long, long, time, the Colts were able to get away with inexperienced quarterbacks who were more than content to chart plays and look the part of a qualified backup. We later discovered that both Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter were unfit replacements. Subsequently, so did the Giants and Ravens, respectively.

Too true, Anton. But it always pays to have an experienced QB in the fold. For a long, long, time, the Colts were able to get away with inexperienced quarterbacks who were more than content to chart plays and look the part of a qualified backup. We later discovered that both Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter were unfit replacements. Subsequently, so did the Giants and Ravens, respectively.

Yes of course the value of an experienced, proven backup is their ability to come in when the #1 goes down... but the reason for Hasselback's large contract is that his added value lies in his tutelage and video room expertise.

Yes of course the value of an experienced, proven backup is their ability to come in when the #1 goes down... but the reason for Hasselback's large contract is that his added value lies in his tutelage and video room expertise.

All of the above!

And for those of you counting, that's 8 Hasselbacks, nine counting the original post. Mom Hasselbeck would take exception to that..... lol

There is a certain irony in our negligence of the backup QB spot, putting us in the position to get our next franchise QB

You made a great point Anton. Having a franchise QB as our backup who can win games for our organization cannot be underestimated at all. Bill Polian's inability to put a capable substitute in that position is something I can never forgive Bill for & I don't care how many times ESPN NFL analysts kisses his caboose with the label "6 time executive of the year" either. A superior GM would have tested his backup long before the franchise QB got seriously hurt & replaced him with a field general capable of completing passes vs picks. 

I know the I give our GM Grigs a hard time once in awhile, but at least he didn't make the same mistake his predecessor did IMO. Thank God we dodged the bullet there.  :whew:  :P

Hasselbeck is invaluable to that room and not only is his on the field talent is not backup worthy, his knowledge and wisdom will be vital for Luck and Harnish.

I've thought about that here lately.

We've never really had an NFL starter quality backup. I hope we NEVER need him but I am glad we have him...and the off-field stuff is big. He's seen defenses and looks that Luck has never seen. And he can share a lot with Luck and the WRs on some of the tendencies of DBs and LBs.

An all the way around great pickup.

Hasselback is a true professional.  I am sure he is teaching Luck a lot about the behind the scenes aspects of being an NFL QB.  I like the Hasselback singing more every time i hear something about him.

Now, before any Bill Polian admirers claim that I am being unfair to Bill & state that our salary cap was strapped for cash, I will propose a solution to this fiscal dilemma: You bring in your highest paid players for a pow wow & say look we all wanna win another ring right? Peyton's not getting any younger & we need a solid backup QB. In an effort to secure one, may I please ask if any of you are opening to restructuring your contracts to land a quality back up in INDY? This is what Bill Polian should have done if cash flow was an issue IMHO.

I've thought about that here lately.

We've never really had an NFL starter quality backup. I hope we NEVER need him but I am glad we have him...and the off-field stuff is big. He's seen defenses and looks that Luck has never seen. And he can share a lot with Luck and the WRs on some of the tendencies of DBs and LBs.

An all the way around great pickup.

Ding!

This is why I wanted Hasselbeck....   he's seen it all,  he's done it all,  good and bad...    he'll be great with Luck during the week watching film and in meetings...   he'll be great on the sidelines during games...   he'll be great with Hamilton if he thinks the offense needs a tweak or two....  (or three)....    he's got credibility....  everyone will pay attention to him...

The right guy for the right team at the right time.    He's the perfect back-up for Luck....    :thmup:

Hasselback is a true professional. I am sure he is teaching Luck a lot about the behind the scenes aspects of being an NFL QB. I like the Hasselback singing more every time i hear something about him.

I agree 100% Kyle, but when did "singing" become a contract requirement for a backup QB? Just Kidding! What's he sound like the locker room? Bass, Alto, or tenor? I kid, I kid...Minor typo I get it. No harm done Kyle. I do it all the time...typos & singing too actually...LOL!

Is this an INDY rookie hazing thing for new teammates? Ha! Ha!

I actually think BP looked at it this way...

ONE Peyton is invincible. 

SECOND...   IF Indy loses Manning, we are DONE...     regardless of the backup.

It is the only logical explanation for keeping players like Sorgi and Painter as backups. 

Now, before any Bill Polian admirers claim that I am being unfair to Bill & state that our salary cap was strapped for cash, I will propose a solution to this fiscal dilemma: You bring in your highest paid players for a pow wow & say look we all wanna win another ring right? Peyton's not getting any younger & we need a solid backup QB. In an effort to secure one, may I please ask if any of you are opening to restructuring your contracts to land a quality back up in INDY? This is what Bill Polian should have done if cash flow was an issue IMHO.

I didn't believe I would ever say this, but......

I wouldn't mind having a Hasselback jersey! 

That's when you know you've made it in this league Matthew, when fans aren't ashamed to wear your number out in public. Something Curtis Painter can never boldly claim with pride now can he Lollygager? LOL! 

SECOND... IF Indy loses Manning, we are DONE... regardless of the backup.

It is the only logical explanation for keeping players like Sorgi and Painter as backups.

Sorgi could actually win games John. Painter not even close. HC Tom Coughlin of NY Giants would never had signed Sorgi in 2010 if he completely sucked. Yes, before you ask Jim Sorgi graduated from UW-Madison & I am loyal to my Alma Mater, but I don't promote or root for athletes that can't play either. Sorgi was no starter, but he was an adequate back up field general. Nothing great, but not lousy either my friend.

I will concede that our o-line was deficient with a lot of holes in it. No argument there. But, the right backup could have won more than 2 games IMO...Maybe 2 to 3 more...

Having Hasselbeck here is why I believe the loss of Bruce Arians doesn't matter. Arians kept Luck from panicking when he made mistakes yes, but having a Veteran QB who's been to the Big Dance (even though he lost he still went) is 10x better than having a Coach help you. I think we got a steal imo

SECOND...   IF Indy loses Manning, we are DONE...     regardless of the backup.

I like you John, but that mindset is exactly what got Bill Polian in trouble & it eventually led to his dismissal from INDY. Peyton's bursa sac knee surgery in 2008 should have been a foreshadowing wake up call to Bill that Peyton was not invincible or indestructible for that matter. I am just relieved to know that Grigs understands the need for a quality back up & I give him full credit for securing Matthew Hasselbeck's services on the field if necessary. Even Bill admitted he dropped the ball literally on the backup QB question. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825b5965/article/polian-regrets-qb-backup-plan-blames-it-for-his-firing-by-colts

I don't care how "elite" or healthy your franchise QB is...He's only 1 blindside hit from being put on the PUP list. [Physically Unable to Perform]...I don't give Bill a pass on this one ever! 

how do you know he didn't try something like that?

I see your point, Southwest, but that would be a tough sell.

"Hey guys, in order to win another ring, we need a solid back-up QB."

Back up QBs aren't really know for winning rings. Just thought I'd mention that I get your point, but it would be hard for anyone to shell out their money for a back-up, especially since they've only won 1 with Manning.

how do you know he didn't try something like that?

Technically, you're right jvan. We might have tried this strategy, I have no proof of this, but something tells me we didn't because if we had Bill would be bragging to all his ESPN colleagues right now that this was his idea & the players he asked the question said no to his request flat out. I admire Bill's accomplishments as a GM, but I also know that Bill believed he was a great GM & he loved to toot his own horn to validate his decision making moves too. I like confidence, but a GM has to ensure that confidence doesn't evolve into arrogance. 

Technically, you're right jvan. We might have tried this strategy, I have no proof of this, but something tells me we didn't because if we had Bill would be bragging to all his ESPN colleagues right now that this was his idea & the players he asked the question said no to his request flat out. I admire Bill's accomplishments as a GM, but I also know that Bill believed he was a great GM & he loved to toot his own horn to validate his decision making moves too. I like confidence, but a GM has to ensure that confidence doesn't evolve into arrogance.

I'm not sure many vets would have taken a cut or restructured for a backup qb though

I see your point, Southwest, but that would be a tough sell.

"Hey guys, in order to win another ring, we need a solid back-up QB."

Back up QBs aren't really know for winning rings. Just thought I'd mention that I get your point, but it would be hard for anyone to shell out their money for a back-up, especially since they've only won 1 with Manning.

I appreciate that Flash777. You make a darn good point my friend. It would be tough sell/hill to climb. Here's the argument I'd make as a GM: "Look fellas we are getting steamrolled out their every week. Our backups aren't getting the job done. Would you like to continue to be a laughing stock for the entire football league or do you have some Colt pride & wanna win some games for your city, your fanbase, your owner, your teammates, & your own sense of professional dignity? Character is defined by what you do when the floor falls out beneath your feet. Do you run away & flee or hunker down & fight? Now, we could take the easy way out & tank the rest of the season for the #1 draft pick or we can decide to carry on & never throw in the towel of surrender & capitulation...

I opt for continuing to fight & be competitive. It's who we are & what we do in INDY. So, in an effort to stay competitive & to keep fighting are we all willing at this table to restructure our contracts & get a QB warrior in here that will never say die? Who's with me?!! "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more" Henry V. Act III  SW1 loves dramatic Shakespeare man!  haha

OK....  

Sorgi could actually win games John. Painter not even close. HC Tom Coughlin of NY Giants would never had signed Sorgi in 2010 if he completely sucked. Yes, before you ask Jim Sorgi graduated from UW-Madison & I am loyal to my Alma Mater, but I don't promote or root for athletes that can't play either. Sorgi was no starter, but he was an adequate back up field general. Nothing great, but not lousy either my friend.

I will concede that our o-line was deficient with a lot of holes in it. No argument there. But, the right backup could have won more than 2 games IMO...Maybe 2 to 3 more...

..... Arians kept Luck from panicking when he made mistakes yes, but having a Veteran QB who's been to the Big Dance (even though he lost he still went) is 10x better than having a Coach help you. I think we got a steal imo

I don't think Luck even has a panic button.  The kid was cool as a cucumber under fire all last season, even with that leaky O-line in front of him that would have had lesser QBs curling up into a fetal position with every snap. Can't wait to see what he does in his second season with a better supporting cast around him!

John Dee...I just wanna be clear...I respect you...I like your viewpoints & commentary on the NFL & life in general...Always feel free to disagree with me...I don't have all the answers & I enjoy lively debates with you...I just want to ensure that I didn't royally tick you off. I have that affect on people sometimes...Sorry...Are we cool? For the record, I still respect Polian & what he did for this franchise...