Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney officially a Charger [Merge]

HarassedOffTheSite

Well....   we're going to play Dwight and the Chargers this year....

So,  we'll see how good a 'fit' Dwight is in their scheme.     Let's hope he's not a difference-maker for them.......

I hope he's a great fit, and does well for his new team..except against us...Thank you Mr Freeney for all you have done for the Colts, fans, and the Indianapolis community.

Like I said in another thread, Castonzo best double or triple knot his shoe laces come week 6 on Monday Night Football or else he is likely to get embarrased repeatedly, Freeney does still have it if healthy

I recall their coach saying that they would swith schemes if they signed Freeney. I may be recalling wrong though.

He said he'd adjust their defense, I doubt he meant they'd switch to a 4-3 just for him. Maybe just make it so that Freeney has his hand in the dirt most of the time.

Ahh ok still hate SD guess he isn't getting another Super Bowl lol

Mark Schlereth and Jason Taylor discuss how free agent Dwight Freeney would fit with the Chargers, who lost LB Melvin Ingram to an injury.

video analysis still says will be OL and go to 3 point stance on passing downs which may be 2nd & long

​Dont put him in coverage, just let him rush

expect   35 plays a game

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9279000

==================================================

John Clayton discusses Dwight Freeney's reported two-year contract with the Chargers.

start at 30 seconds

says will be OL and  on 3rd down put his hand in ground

http://espn.go.com/v...id=espn:9288991

======================================

same here, start at 1.00 minute  for   Bill williamson afc west ESPN covereage person analysis ,esp at 1.30 , and  at 210 says will be OL and he doubts at 33 he will hold up as main pass rusher

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9277721

========================================================

Williamson then seem to change his mind  somewhat in this story

Yes, he is aging at 33 and he has just 13 of his 107.5 career sacks in the past two years. There is no doubt that Freeney, who is known for having one of the best spin moves in the history of the game, is near the end. But this pairing makes sense simply out of desperation. The Chargers weren’t going to find a better replacement for Ingram than Freeney, and Freeney was not going to get a better situation than San Diego. There were few places Freeney would have had a bigger role. 

There are questions of whether Freeney is an ideal fit for the Chargers’ 3-4 defense. He played in it last season in Indianapolis and wasn’t as strong of a fit as he was in the 4-3. 

I don’t think it is going to be an issue, however. San Diego coach Mike McCoy told Werder that the team would adjust to Freeney. That doesn’t mean the Chargers (whose defensive coordinator is John Pagano -- the brother of Chuck Pagano, who was Freeney’s coach in Indianapolis last year) are going to totally scrap the 3-4 for a 33-year-old player. It means that the Chargers are multiple in their pass-defense looks and that Freeney could line up often in his customary 4-3 defensive end position.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58594/chargers-solve-problem-with-dwight-freeney

=================================================================================

The Chargers use a 3-4 base defense and the 33-year-old Freeney was less effective in that alignment in his final season with theIndianapolis Colts, where he moved to outside linebacker.

"He fits what we are going to do with our defense," McCoy said Saturday. "I think his role will be defined as we go forward, and he will help define his role."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9288979/dwight-freeney-agrees-contract-san-diego-chargers

Nobody else was going to pay him that.

I'm glad he's not in Tennesse..because I dont want the Colts to have to deal with him twice a year

yueah but wish went to NFC  ( lions were interested ),

dont want manning to deal with it either 2 x a year & wish LT clady signs already so rehabs that shoulder surgery and gets some work in

Its like Broncos got OG Vasquez  ( LT deal ) and OL / DE with Broncos ((  pendinmg del rios  play calling  defensive scheme )) phiilips 1 year deal & cheap , very cheap   & chargers   freeney for 2 years  and overpaid as they were stuck

If contract signed Freney will have to go to OTAs' etc, which he didnt want to but guess money talks

Hope Broncos take Abraham  but only at right price

Chargers might be interesting this year if they wake up a bit without Norv. Tough team to figure out.....

Rivers is far too talented a QB IMO to have become the inconsistent mess he has turned into lately.

Chargers might be interesting this year if they wake up a bit without Norv. Tough team to figure out.....

Rivers is far too talented a QB IMO to have become the inconsistent mess he has turned into lately.

I like what the Chargers have done this off-season. I think they have to be better and that includes Rivers. They could be the surprise team in the West even though everyone is focused on the Chiefs given Reid and Smith.

Freeney must be licking his chops to get two cracks at Manning. :D

I like what the Chargers have done this off-season. I think they have to be better and that includes Rivers. They could be the surprise team in the West even though everyone is focused on the Chiefs given Reid and Smith.

Freeney must be licking his chops to get two cracks at Manning. :D

Ex Denver OC Now SD coach McCoy has said he will have Rivers at 70 + % completion with new offense he is installing for him, Rivers has said its all new now

the above from 2 articles read recently