Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If it had come to pass...

Sorry,  but I don't believe it.

I believe Brandt was told that....   but I don't believe it's correct information.

Based on nothing more than my own instincts...    just do not believe it.

I share your skepticism.  I also must make allowance for fact that the professionals might see him as a sure fire starting caliber day 1 talent.  If Grigson thought he was a can't miss RG, then I guess it is plausible.  Doesn't seem like it though.

What would your take on it be? Good? Bad? Meh? For the sake of the off season let's discuss Kyle Long.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8421/kyle-long

Apparently we were targeting him at #24 according to the link...

Okay, since the Indianapolis Colts did not select Kyle Long at #24, what is the point of this question exactly? Speculation has a place in discussions of course, but Mr. Long is not on our roster so because of that fact my interest in this question dies rather quickly. JMO...Yes Mr. NLM, you have every right to ask the question naturally. Hypotheticals in the draft, apart from the N if L debates, mean nothing to me actually. 

Okay, since the Indianapolis Colts did not select Kyle Long at #24, what is the point of this question exactly? Speculation has a place in discussions of course, but Mr. Long is not on our roster so because of that fact my interest in this question dies rather quickly. JMO...Yes Mr. NLM, you have every right to ask the question naturally. Hypotheticals in the draft, apart from the N if L debates, mean nothing to me actually. 

Sorry....   I understood the OP post....

But I have no idea -- none -- what the point of your post is, SW1??

And, at this point,  I'm almost afraid to ask....       :hide:

Point being had the Bears had not selected Long at 20 there would have been a chance he fell to us at 24, Brandt is speculating we were looking to draft him at 24 BUT we never got the chance....Not be cause we passed on him but because he was already off the board

Wouldn't surprise me, even though I still think Werner would've been the pick since we weren't planning on him falling. We very well could've been targeting Long believing that Bjoern would be off the board.

While we're on the subject, few things in life are as worthless as internet mock drafts and immediate post-draft grades. Treating them as anything more than a fun diversion is insane. Yet, I always see people go nuts when a player the internet had ranked highly "falls" to them because the fan read some hype on a mock draft and/or the media bought the smokescreen. That's the only reason I can see why these guys with mediocre film and pro prospects get such unwarranted hype.

Posturing... 

Indy was going D all the way.       Unless a T, Coop, or Warmack took a plunge.

And the Bears bit on smoke....      like they always do.

What would your take on it be? Good? Bad? Meh? For the sake of the off season let's discuss Kyle Long.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8421/kyle-long

Apparently we were targeting him at #24 according to the link...

But guess who bit and took him,...   hheehe

Sorry,  but I don't believe it.

I believe Brandt was told that....   but I don't believe it's correct information.

Based on nothing more than my own instincts...    just do not believe it.

I didn't like Long on almost every level.

I would've been OK with him in the 2nd round,  but barely.

First,  he's a very late bloomer, so he doesn't have much experience (yes, I know, neither does Werner)   but I think Werner has come further in a shorter length of time.

Second,  and most important to me,  I read too many reports on Long that basically said....   he's a knucklehead.   A real jerk.   One gets the feeling this is a kid who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

He doesn't know what he doesn't know.   He has a very checkered past even though he came from a good upbringing and an older brother who's the exact opposite of Chris.   The Long in St. Louis is a good kid, hard working and he 'gets it'....    I don't get the feeling at all that Chris Long 'gets it'...     I think he's got bust written all over him.    I'd want to stay far away from him if at all possible.

I don't see the Colts having serious interest in him....    Honestly, I'd be disappointed if there was truth in this report....

I'll put this another way....  Montori Hughes is a similar kid.   We took him in the 5th round with a 4th round pick.    If he's a bust,  our investment is minimal.    But if Long is a bust,  goodbye first round pick.    Do you know what the call a GM with too many 1st round busts??        Unemployed.

I didn't like Long on almost every level.

I would've been OK with him in the 2nd round, but barely.

First, he's a very late bloomer, so he doesn't have much experience (yes, I know, neither does Werner) but I think Werner has come further in a shorter length of time.

Second, and most important to me, I read too many reports on Long that basically said.... he's a knucklehead. A real jerk. One gets the feeling this is a kid who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

He doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has a very checkered past even though he came from a good upbringing and an older brother who's the exact opposite of Chris. The Long in St. Louis is a good kid, hard working and he 'gets it'.... I don't get the feeling at all that Chris Long 'gets it'... I think he's got bust written all over him. I'd want to stay far away from him if at all possible.

I don't see the Colts having serious interest in him.... Honestly, I'd be disappointed if there was truth in this report....

I'll put this another way.... Montori Hughes is a similar kid. We took him in the 5th round with a 4th round pick. If he's a bust, our investment is minimal. But if Long is a bust, goodbye first round pick. Do you know what the call a GM with too many 1st round busts?? Unemployed.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

OK...

Which part?    All of it?    Some of it?

And what is your information that says otherwise?     I look forward to reading it....

Mainly the stuff about his attitude and checkered past. He got a DUI and left FSU early on but turned things around after that and didn't have any other issues. As far as his attitude, you are completely off base. He was a leader in the locker room and did nothing but work his tail off in his only year of division 1 football. He was so entrenched in the program that he wanted to be granted another year of eligibility, bad. Couldn't ask for a better attitude from a young man.

Mainly the stuff about his attitude and checkered past. He got a DUI and left FSU early on but turned things around after that and didn't have any other issues. As far as his attitude, you are completely off base. He was a leader in the locker room and did nothing but work his tail off in his only year of division 1 football. He was so entrenched in the program that he wanted to be granted another year of eligibility, bad. Couldn't ask for a better attitude from a young man.

Well...    you and I read different write-ups on him....    very different....

But that sometimes happens in the draft,  where different people see things differently....

Well... you and I read different write-ups on him.... very different....

But that sometimes happens in the draft, where different people see things differently....

I'm not going off write ups, I'm going off info from people inside the Oregon program.

Sorry....   I understood the OP post....

But I have no idea -- none -- what the point of your post is, SW1??

And, at this point,  I'm almost afraid to ask....       :hide:

I'm with you NCF...

*backs away from keyboard*

:hide:  :hide:  :hide:  :hide:  :hide:

I'm not going off write ups, I'm going off info from people inside the Oregon program.

The write-ups I read were comments by scouts....    I'll stick with them.

That isn't a program I'd put a lot of stock in....   They crank out a lot of wins....   and there isn't a corner they don't cut doing it.

The write-ups I read were comments by scouts....    I'll stick with them.

That isn't a program I'd put a lot of stock in....   They crank out a lot of wins....   and there isn't a corner they don't cut doing it.

Stick with whatever you want, it's incorrect.

What do you mean by when you say they dont cut any corners doing it

No,  what I said is.....    there are no corners that they don't cut....     in other words,  they cheat.    It's a very dirty program.   Very.

They win like crazy,  but that's a dirty program.   The football program (along with USC) is as close as the Pac-12 has to SEC-like behavior....   (win at all costs).... 

I like winning as much as the next fan...   but I don't like winning dirty...