Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I admit, This is going to take some time to get adjusted to..

Dark Superman

Griff Whalen will now wear #17..

Ill be thinking Austin is still with us for half the season.

Erik Walden #93

Expecting this number to be retired soon.. I'm surprised thy let him have it after Freeney's HOF career.

A new paradigm.  Gonna be a little strange.  Whalen may not make the team, but Walden should.  He better do that 93 proud!

I don't see #93 being retired. We already have a lot retired compared to other teams. Plus if #88 isn't then #93 won't be.

Side note, if #88 is ever retired it better be for both Harrison and Mackey.

EDIT: However I think #88 will just remain an untouched number. I don't see how you can retire a number for two players.

I don't see #93 being retired. We already have a lot retired compared to other teams. Plus if #88 isn't then #93 won't be.

EDIT: However I think #88 will just remain an untouched number. I don't see how you can retire a number for two players.

Only way I see #88 getting used is if we somehow acquire a player through trade or Free agency who already wears it. Can't think of anybody outside of Dez Bryant who the Colts would be remotely interested in.

The other option would be if we drafted a reciever in the 1st round who is an ABSOLUTE stud. Kinda like the Cowboys and Dez.

I don't see #93 being retired. We already have a lot retired compared to other teams. Plus if #88 isn't then #93 won't be.

I know that the Montreal Canadiens have done it. Probably others. It wouldn't be right to retire that number without referencing both players. I find it hard to believe that Mackey's number wasn't retired in the first place. HOFers are hard to come by.

I don't see 93 being retired either. Love Freeney, but not sure that he was at "that" level. If he ends up getting into the hall then you can reconsider.

A number does not a player make.

: haha: true, but the issue is that "a player DOES a number make". Once associated with a once in a generation player for a decade or more, it's a bit rude to slap it right on the back of a journeyman. However we aren't talking about Peyton (or Marvin) here. I have no more concern with Freeney's number being handed out than I do with Hughes number being handed out. When it comes to linemen in particular, I don't notice/remember the numbers most of the time anyway. And when it comes to Freeney in particular, I'm not sure that he merits the accolade.

And here we go with the numbers frenzy again

So once again........

The number doesn't make the man, the man makes the number

Don't see us retiring anymore numbers. If Freeney's number was gonna be retired, would've did it when we let him go. And on top of that, Freeney isn't one of Grigson's guys and I feel like that plays a small part in this imo

And here we go with the numbers frenzy again

So once again........

The number doesn't make the man, the man makes the number

Don't see us retiring anymore numbers. If Freeney's number was gonna be retired, would've did it when we let him go. And on top of that, Freeney isn't one of Grigson's guys and I feel like that plays a small part in this imo

I'd never factor a GM or coach into this. It's Irsay's job to manage the franchises legacy. Grigson/Pagano are just trying to keep their jobs.

Erik Walden #93

Expecting this number to be retired soon.. I'm surprised thy let him have it after Freeney's HOF career.

My only post of the day.....

Cassius Vaughn wears Edge's 32 and he is in the RING OF Honor

I needed your backup on that debacle of a CB wearing number 32!!!!!  :)

GO COLTS!  Whatever jersey you wear, wear it with pride...as we become the MONSTER!!!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I'd never factor a GM or coach into this. It's Irsay's job to manage the franchises legacy. Grigson/Pagano are just trying to keep their jobs.

Okay, I give you that. So then it does go back to my point before that. If it was gonna be retired, it would've been. Irsay must not have felt the #93 should've been retired so he didn't do it. Number was therefore up for grabs and Walden took it as it was his number in GB. Can't get mad at the man for that

: haha: true, but the issue is that "a player DOES a number make". Once associated with a once in a generation player for a decade or more, it's a bit rude to slap it right on the back of a journeyman. However we aren't talking about Peyton (or Marvin) here. I have no more concern with Freeney's number being handed out than I do with Hughes number being handed out. When it comes to linemen in particular, I don't notice/remember the numbers most of the time anyway. And when it comes to Freeney in particular, I'm not sure that he merits the accolade.

Outside of Lawrence Taylor's 56 I don't really associate numbers with defensive players. Offense is different, I guess I see QB and receiver jerseys a lot more than DE's LB's and DT's.

Okay, I give you that. So then it does go back to my point before that. If it was gonna be retired, it would've been. Irsay must not have felt the #93 should've been retired so he didn't do it. Number was therefore up for grabs and Walden took it as it was his number in GB. Can't get mad at the man for that

I didn't address the rest of your post because I agreed with it. If you see my other posts in this thread, they could give #93 to the waterboy for all I care - and I LOVED Freeney.

I didn't address the rest of your post because I agreed with it. If you see my other posts in this thread, they could give #93 to the waterboy for all I care - and I LOVED Freeney.

Waterboy should get the Jersey that says (H20) lmao

I agree.

Whalen should make at least the practice squad. If he shows promise like he did last year he may even get some reps.. He has a history with Luck and Pep..

I agree Whalen has a great chance to make the team,if not team definately Ps but someone would take him from there.

Erik Walden #93

Not looking forward to training camp and people shouting "Go Freeney!" It's always awkward to encounter those fans who don't know their favorite player is gone.

Erik Walden #93

Do you really think Freeney is a sure fire hall of famer? I am not so sure about that. I liked him a lot but he was sort of a one trick pony and it seems that his career may be over....

I really don't get the number concern.   I think we often act like the Colts came into the NFL in 1998.   Very good players have used numbers that have been reused.  We can't suddenly that ever good player over the last 15 years should have their number retired or not worn.    There is so many Baltimore Colts they could have done that with beyond what has already been done.  

Maybe the #93 jersey has special powers and it will pass on the pass rushing skills that Freeney had/acquired over to Walden.  Okay, just kidding, but yeah this will be a bit weird watching games and seeing #93 on defense and not going through the o-line like a bullet straight for the QB.

17 being used will not be a big deal at all because it is not like Austin ultimately was that important to the team. 

The only thing that bothers me is when you see a terrible player like say Mike Hart wearing 32. 

Really the only number that needs to be retired is Peyton's 18.