Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Five future Pro Bowl players from 2012 NFL Draft - via NFL.com

OldSchoolColt

"Five future Pro Bowl players from 2012 NFL Draft" :

4. Dwayne Allen, tight end, Indianapolis Colts

When you go back and watch film of the Colts' 2012 season, Allen jumps off the screen as a more athletic version of Heath Miller. Big and fast with great hands and the ability to shield defenders with his body in traffic, the 64th overall pick in last year's draft outplayed the more hyped Coby Fleener as a reliable target for Andrew Luck.

After breaking Ken Dilger's franchise record for receptions by a rookie tight end, Allen should have garnered serious Pro Bowl consideration last season. "If you just look at the versatility of Dwayne Allen and his ability to line up in the backfield and lead block, or detach and line up in the slot and win the one-on-one matchup," new offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton recently said, "that's a tremendous weapon that you want to have in any offense."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158901/article/five-future-pro-bowlers-from-the-2012-nfl-draft

The WCO will make him even a bigger star. I think he will make Coby man-up and do better, especially at blocking.

Luck not mentioned in that article is a travesty.Oh &, nice avatar btw.

I don't think the point of the article was to list ALL of the future Pro Bowlers, just a handful of those that may have been overlooked.

Luck and RG3 are already ProBowlers.

He is a pro bowl talent, but I can't see him making it unless one of two things happen.

A) a major target goes down

B) somehow he starts getting national exposure

Especially if we add a 1st round WR, I don't see how there are enough catches for him to make a name for himself nationally. Well, unless Luck turns into a 50 TD a year machine.

He is a pro bowl talent, but I can't see him making it unless one of two things happen.

Especially if we add a 1st round WR, I don't see how there are enough catches for him to make a name for himself nationally. Well, unless Luck turns into a 50 TD a year machine

With our emphasis on the running game, use of a FB and slot receiver, I see us going with one TE a lot and when we do, I see Allen out there. We will have a ton of passes with the WCO and I see Allen scoring more with his ability to get open compared to Fleener. I hope Fleener finally does show up though.

With our emphasis on the running game, use of a FB and slot receiver, I see us going with one TE a lot and when we do, I see Allen out there. We will have a ton of passes with the WCO and I see Allen scoring more with his ability to get open compared to Fleener. I hope Fleener finally does show up though.

I don't see that at all. I see the colts potentially lining up in many formations.....with Allen and fleener on the field. I would actually like to see the pistol with all three tight ends on the field. Hard telling though....

Pagano said a few months ago that he expects Allen to be considered the best TE in the league in a few years.  I agree with him.  I think we will have the best TE combo in the league soon, too (right now I'd say only the Pats have a better set of TE's but it looks like Gronk's health might be an issue early this season). 

I think this new offense has a ton of potential to create mis-matches -- and think that Fleener is a better 'down the field' threat than Allen.  I see Allen being used a lot out of the backfield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWrZhRfouVE) in situations like that video shows, and I also expect to see a lot of 2 TE sets.  The speed of TY and DHB will open a lot of stuff up for both Allen and Fleener.  I envision a lot of situations where we will have one of our speedy WR's running short routes across the field opening up deeper slants for Fleener being matched up on LB's or safeties, whereas I expect Allen to be a huge 'possession' type threat and red-zone target.

Allen will have some tough competition in the AFC, but if he continues his dominant blocking and increases his offensive production, he'll be there relatively soon.

The WCO should help him.

He was a darn good target on the bottom half of the season especially for a rookie TE.

Especially if we add a 1st round WR, I don't see how there are enough catches for him to make a name for himself nationally. Well, unless Luck turns into a 50 TD a year machine.

Allen is already among the best tight ends in the league and is a Pro Bowl talent as you say. But there is merit to your argument that he won't get enough targets, partly because he will be used as a blocker way more than Fleener because he excels as a blocker. The shame of it is that aside from Reggie he probably has the second most reliable hands of all our receivers. I definitely hope he sees some looks.