Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leveon Bell describes Colts as

IndyColtScout

I would rather have Montee Ball.

We could probably pick him up in the 3rd round.

For what it's worth,  Ball is a zone scheme running back.

If it turns out we're going to run that,  then fine.

But I suspect we're sticking with 'man' blocking.    Doesn't mean Ball can't succeed in that system.   Only that it's not where he's had his success the past 4 years.

Combined touches rushing & receiving

Carter- 139 career touches, 4 fumbles

Ballard- 228 career touches, 3 fumbles

Ballard has less fumbles on more touches, & Carter had the benefit of an extra year of experience & training camp in the NFL. According to the numbers, Carter fumbles more than double the rate Ballard does.

End of debate.

211 in regular season + 24 in the preseason is 235 carries for Ballard in 2012

123 in 2011(22 in preseason, 101 regular season)+ 37 all of last year (5 in preseason, 32 in regular season)

123+37=160 career carries for Carter, Considering that Ballard only has 1 less fumble in his career then Carter Im going to guess and say it has very little to do with his fumble issues and more to do with Ballard being the more shifty runner in my opinion  Carter and Ballards speed is also very very close

We don't need a RB yet. We still can't get a good look at the one's we've got because we can't block for them. Ballard put up more than acceptable numbers for the blocking we gave him last season, he could be the RB we don't need. 

Drafting some rookie isn't the answer.

To bend a phrase, we need to block before we can run. When we're opening lanes and setting the groundwork for the running game and it's STILL not any better, then we'll know it's the RB's that are the problem. Until then, no. We have no use for them at all in this draft.

"VERY INTERESTED in his services."

Don't shoot the messenger.

The way I look at it, the FO looks at our offense & feels we need to balance out with a running game. The one key lacking in our running game is a power back. Carter has issues and is from another regime. Adding a little power to our offense is going to help bring some consistency to the offensive line as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at Lacy too.

We are looking at Lacy. 97% of the members on this board can't admit it though.

Bell is my favorite RB in this draft. Dump Carter and Brown and pick this kid up in the 3rd or 4th. Ballard and Bell would be a solid running duo. Not to mention we have Havili to help run block now.

And have no running backs that are homerun threats?? and why drop two running backs to only replace them with one? 

your going to be very disappointed come draft day especially since you dont seem to realize this is a loaded draft on the defensive side of the ball

Why would I be disappointed? I am good with any direction we go. It is 97% of this board that will look stupid if we take Lacy.

I never guaranteed we would take him. I just believe we are interested. It is you and the 97% who have guaranteed that we will not take him.

your wasting your time, just let it go, his acceptance that Lacy wont be a Colt will come soon 

When did I ever say we are guaranteed to take Lacy? You won't find that, because I never said it, but you will find 97% of the members here saying we won't draft Lacy. I believe Lacy is an option for us and we could take him if he is there.

Nice try to spin things around, but I have covered myself no matter who we take. You and the 97% others have not.

When did I ever say we are guaranteed to take Lacy? You won't find that, because I never said it, but you will find 97% of the members here saying we won't draft Lacy. I believe Lacy is an option for us and we could take him if he is there.

Nice try to spin things around, but I have covered myself no matter who we take. You and the 97% others have not.

Fair enough, looking back through your posts I agree, I can admit when I know Im wrong, With that said I still believe 100 percent that it would be an illogical pick, good player, illogical pick

Fair enough, looking back through your posts I agree, I can admit when I know Im wrong, With that said I still believe 100 percent that it would be an illogical pick, good player, illogical pick

We can agree to disagree. In the end, whoever we draft, we will both be rooting for him. ;)

agreed, Im pulling for Cooper or Carradine personally

If Cooper is there then we have to take him. If Cooper falls past 15 we might even move up and get him.

We could move back and probably get either Carradine or Hopkins.

Oddly enough, Hopkins visited, but I don't buy into that as much as most people do, especially a few weeks before the draft.

If Cooper is there then we have to take him. If Cooper falls past 15 we might even move up and get him.

Oddly enough, Hopkins visited, but I don't buy into that as much as most people do, especially a few weeks before the draft.

Classic smokescreen done by most teams.

Using stats in trying to push a point seems to be enjoyable for some. Cool. But what about heart, desire, circumstances, and all the massive amount of intangibles that young players face once they leave the structured environment of college life? Did we not have a drafted player that basically left football because he was playing 18 hours of video games a day? Bet that stats didn't help that player much. Point is statistics are good for pointing out trends over time, but using them in trying to stack a board and rating players takes nothing into account about how people change. I would guess that interviews with players one on one outweigh statistics.

I am over 50. But I can still remember that my work ethic and focus changed drastically between 22 and 25 years old. I am going to guess that there are many young men available in this draft that will change in such a way that their current statistics mean nothing in a year or two....some for bad...some for good.

It would be my guess, though, that the Colts braintrust will select a RB for this team, if they feel that either:

A: A player whom just too good to pass, up comes available

B: They feel we are lacking in the RB department.

I believe we are going to take a RB in this draft. Health says we should. I would be surprised if we used our only pick until the third round.

Cooper is who I want the most but I don't think he will fall so ill go Jarvis Jones

Jones I like and Werner if he falls, Beyond the 1st round I have my eye on:

Brandon Jenkins 2nd round-trade down scenario

Alex Okafor-2nd round-trade down scenario (although a better fit in a 4-3 but he has experience standing up

Sam Montgomery-3rd round

Cory Lemonier-3rd round

Jamie Collins-3rd round

Jelani Jenkins-I know most will say he is undersized at 6' 243 and it would seem so but keep in mind Mathis is listed at 6'2" 245lbs...although its a stretch I know

Jones I like and Werner if he falls, Beyond the 1st round I have my eye on:

Brandon Jenkins 2nd round-trade down scenario

Alex Okafor-2nd round-trade down scenario (although a better fit in a 4-3 but he has experience standing up

Sam Montgomery-3rd round

Cory Lemonier-3rd round

Jamie Collins-3rd round

Jelani Jenkins-I know most will say he is undersized at 6' 243 and it would seem so but keep in mind Mathis is listed at 6'2" 245lbs...although its a stretch I know

I want cooper or jones in the 1st or trade back and get warford if we stay at 24 I hope in the 3rd we can get Barrett jones or winters that Fredrick guy is good too 4th I would like bell if he will fall that far I hope he does

Using stats in trying to push a point seems to be enjoyable for some. Cool. But what about heart, desire, circumstances, and all the massive amount of intangibles that young players face once they leave the structured environment of college life? Did we not have a drafted player that basically left football because he was playing 18 hours of video games a day? Bet that stats didn't help that player much. Point is statistics are good for pointing out trends over time, but using them in trying to stack a board and rating players takes nothing into account about how people change. I would guess that interviews with players one on one outweigh statistics.

I am over 50. But I can still remember that my work ethic and focus changed drastically between 22 and 25 years old. I am going to guess that there are many young men available in this draft that will change in such a way that their current statistics mean nothing in a year or two....some for bad...some for good.

It would be my guess, though, that the Colts braintrust will select a RB for this team, if they feel that either:

A: A player whom just too good to pass, up comes available

B: They feel we are lacking in the RB department.

I believe we are going to take a RB in this draft. Health says we should. I would be surprised if we used our only pick until the third round.

Love the comment on heart and desire.  I like for the players to pass the eye test, the interview test, and the workout test.  Are they in shape at their workout?  Can they finish said workout.

I love the stats too, and some say "numbers never lie."  I believe they do deceive, and we get way too caught up in them.

I prefer to watch film like Grigson and not sit with a bunch of scouts.... formulate my own opinions.....then compare to stats.

Heart and desire?  What a concept.  Nice post warhorse!!   :thmup:  :thmup: