Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Regina DL Stefan Charles to Visit Colts

Andy

What's Chicago got to do with anything?

Ok, again what's Chicago have to do with anything? This is the Colts football forum. Were also talking about a possible Colts pickup. You wanna know about other teams, go to nfl general.

Sorry I didnt type out my entire thought process...

I brought up Chicago since their new HC Trestman was a coach in the CFL & had a decent level of success up North, he was also being considered for the HC job in Indy as BrentMc pointed out...

Since the original post was discussing a player from the CFL, my line of thinking was something like "If any of these CFL players that Indy is looking at are NFL caliber, I wonder if Chicago is pursuing them also, since Trestman should have a good understanding of their football ability"...

guess I didnt feel it warranted its own thread in NFL general, but I understand that Chicago is not the Colts, but I guess the line of thinking seemed pertinent to the discussion of a CFL player that the Colts may be interested in...

I've always assumed that more CFL players could successfully make the jump to the NFL and have wondered why more teams don't give CFL players a shot, I guess sometimes they pan out ala Freeman, and sometimes they don't ala Kenton Keith...

anyways, I didnt mean to try & disrail a thread

3 tech DE. He's athletic and big enough to maybe play NT, but I'd say 3 tech is his best bet. 

Just a minor little quibble...3 tech is typically the under-tackle.  In a 3-4, the DE is typically in the 5-tech. :)

Looks like a few teams are working this guy out.  Would love to see some more talent brought in and love that Grigson is looking high and low to find it.  If guys like Charles and Killeen can come in and even provide solid depth then that's great...if they become starters that'd be fantastic. :)

Just a minor little quibble...3 tech is typically the under-tackle.  In a 3-4, the DE is typically in the 5-tech. :)

Looks like a few teams are working this guy out.  Would love to see some more talent brought in and love that Grigson is looking high and low to find it.  If guys like Charles and Killeen can come in and even provide solid depth then that's great...if they become starters that'd be fantastic. :)

I am pretty sure that the nose tackle lines up in front of the center. The 3 tech is over the guard, and/or is slightly inside the guard. The 5 tech is over the tackle, or slightly inside him.

That's the way I was taught it. 

I am pretty sure that the nose tackle lines up in front of the center. The 3 tech is over the guard, and/or is slightly inside the guard. The 5 tech is over the tackle, or slightly inside him.

That's the way I was taught it. 

Essentially yes that's correct.  However, in a typical 3-4 alignment, there is no one on the DL lined up at 3-tech.  In a 2-gap 3-4, the DE is typically lined up at 5 tech.  A 3 tech is typically the UT in a 4 man front. Here's a definition of each "technique":

Definition of Techniques

"0" Tech - Instructs defender to align "head up" on the center.

"1" Tech - Instructs defender to align his outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the guard.

"2" Tech - Instructs defender to align "head up" on the guard.

"3" Tech - Instructs defender to align his inside shoulder with the outside shoulder of the guard.

"4" Tech - Instructs defender to align outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the tackle.

"5" Tech - Instructs defender to align inside shoulder with the outside shoulder of the tackle.

"7" Tech - Instructs defender to align outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the tight end. If no tight end, defender aligns on the imaginary tight end.

"6" Tech - Instructs defender to align "head up" on tight end.

"9" Tech - Instructs defender to align inside shoulder on the outside shoulder of the tight end.

from... http://football.about.com/od/intermediateinstruction/a/Defensive-Gap-Control.htm

Basically a 3-tech and 4-tech could look the same...but I believe a player is only lined up at 3-tech in a 4-man front.  If they're in a 3-man front then the DE is either at 4-tech or 5-tech.  :)

Essentially yes that's correct.  However, in a typical 3-4 alignment, there is no one on the DL lined up at 3-tech.  In a 2-gap 3-4, the DE is typically lined up at 5 tech.  A 3 tech is typically the UT in a 4 man front. Here's a definition of each "technique":

"1" Tech - Instructs defender to align his outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the guard.

"3" Tech - Instructs defender to align his inside shoulder with the outside shoulder of the guard.

"4" Tech - Instructs defender to align outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the tackle.

"5" Tech - Instructs defender to align inside shoulder with the outside shoulder of the tackle.

"7" Tech - Instructs defender to align outside shoulder with the inside shoulder of the tight end. If no tight end, defender aligns on the imaginary tight end.

"9" Tech - Instructs defender to align inside shoulder on the outside shoulder of the tight end.

from... http://football.about.com/od/intermediateinstruction/a/Defensive-Gap-Control.htm

Basically a 3-tech and 4-tech could look the same...but I believe a player is only lined up at 3-tech in a 4-man front.  If they're in a 3-man front then the DE is either at 4-tech or 5-tech.   :)

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

:popcorn:   3  :popcorn: 1 tech)

Sorry.  I was so busy making popcorn I missed the lecture.  :funny:

I love all of these good tidbits of info.....By the way I do like this....just sarcasm.... :):sarcasm:

OK....I give up....my popcorn DTs will not line up correctly....just cut them from the team!!!!   :)

Last year, it was Akiem Hicks, this year it is Stefan Charles, DL from Regina.

That's a lot of talent out of a Canadian University but it's only on one side of the ball.  I guess you could say Regina really loves the D.

Wasn't Hicks the highest drafted player out of a Canadian University?

Just wanted to correct a lot of people in here calling this guy a prospect from the CFL, he is from the CIS (basically Canadian NCAA).

He'll be a prospect for both the NFL and CFL drafts this upcoming season.

So can we sign him or will he have to be drafted not real sure about stuff when it comes to Canadian players

Nice find, Andy....

Good to have him on our radar!

I've been wondering about our front office.    It's been weeks since the DHB signing!   What have these guys been doing?!?

Good to know they're not taking time off!      :sarcasm:

Nice job, Andy!         :thmup:

They have been preparing for that thing called the draft!!!!

So can we sign him or will he have to be drafted not real sure about stuff when it comes to Canadian players

Doesn't matter, he'll go undrafted. we'll pick him up as a UFA the moment draft ends. we probably already have him coming to camp, just can't make it official until after the draft. So this also tells me that Grigs may not be taking a D lineman first. if we get this guy, everythign becomes even more crowded than it already is. I'm still banking on WR/CB

Keenan Allen. Big Fan.

Thats him cutting up Desmond Trufant

Doesn't matter, he'll go undrafted. we'll pick him up as a UFA the moment draft ends. we probably already have him coming to camp, just can't make it official until after the draft. So this also tells me that Grigs may not be taking a D lineman first. if we get this guy, everythign becomes even more crowded than it already is. I'm still banking on WR/CB

Keenan Allen. Big Fan.

Yeah they may go OLB too tho a better pass rush then Hughes or CB possibly too

Keenan Allen. Big Fan.

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter, as CIS players have been drafted by the NFL before. To answer your question Coltfan12, he would have to go through the same process as a player who played in the NCAA.

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter, as CIS players have been drafted by the NFL before. To answer your question Coltfan12, he would have to go through the same process as a player who played in the NCAA.

Ok thank I was confused I didn't know if it was more like freeman

Just wanted to correct a lot of people in here calling this guy a prospect from the CFL, he is from the CIS (basically Canadian NCAA).

He'll be a prospect for both the NFL and CFL drafts this upcoming season.

Exactly. And I see 7 teams have inquired about him. We and the Seahawks just the latest two.  At least we continue to look around.  Seems a few other do too.

They have been preparing for that thing called the draft!!!!

Guess you didn't notice the emoticon I used that said.....        :sarcasm:        I was being facetious!

There's a draft, and free agent page on the website....   I'm there all the time...    I follow the draft as close as anyone here....   it hasn't snuck up on me...

Welcome to the website....

Basically a 3-tech and 4-tech could look the same...but I believe a player is only lined up at 3-tech in a 4-man front.  If they're in a 3-man front then the DE is either at 4-tech or 5-tech.   :)

Good info, thanks!

Good to know I wasn't taught the wrong things! 

Freeman came from the CFL, a professional Canadian football league.Charles is coming from the CIS, a college sports league.Freeman would be more similar to a player coming from the Arena football league.

This may be a dumb question, but does the CIS play Canadian rules or NCAA?

I respect your opinion but in the history of the NFL draft, only 9 total CIS players have been drafted. Vaughn martin was the latest in 09 by the chargers but he was player of the year in CIS. CIS specifically, not just Canada. Charles wasn't nearly the best defensive player in CIS, although he was a very good player.

A hicks was drafted by NO last year but he was also a standout defensive player.

http://gmenhq.com/2012/04/29/5-international-players-chosen-in-2012-nfl-draft-including-giants-kuhn/

This draft is too deep. IMO he doesn't get drafted but I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Guess you didn't notice the emoticon I used that said.....        :sarcasm:        I was being facetious!

There's a draft, and free agent page on the website....   I'm there all the time...    I follow the draft as close as anyone here....   it hasn't snuck up on me...

Welcome to the website....

Yes sorry i didnt see the sarcasm emoticon.  

• 2 weeks later...