Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden

danlhart87

Because his performance won't affect the fact that we overpaid for him. He isnt worth 4 million, but we paid him like an established well above average player. So, at the time of signing him, he was overpaid. Regardless of this year's performance. Which I expect to be mediocre.

I think if you compare salaries vs production of linebackers, he got a pay day that he never was able to get with the cap in Green Bay.  I saw a list of who played less and made more money than Walden and I did not know a couple of the guys (And we know a lot of guys in this league.)

Again I feel his contract is structured well for the Colts if he fails.   I do not think he will.  The Raven defense will put him in a position to succeed IMO along with Hughes as the 'cover' OLB.

One thing about me Nobody.....I will be the first to hammer on him if he does not play well, and the first to say I was wrong....I will also back any player that makes this football team!!! :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he will be an upgrade over our 19 million dollar man. The defense will look better with Mathis taking over Freeneys spot and Walden playing Mathis's spot. I think the olbers will be rotated a bunch to keep them fresh and for certain situations.

What? What does an agent have to do with this? No, his performance after signing the contract doesn't change the fact that he wasn't worth the $ based on his career so far.

Interesting logic.  I guess Andrew Luck was hugely overpaid as a rookie coming in last year then.  He was payed 4 million dollars and a 14.5 million dollar bonus, and since he had produced 0 completions, 0 TD passes and 0 passing yards in his career, that must mean he "wasn't worth the $ based on his career so far"

In fact, every rookie in the history of football has been overpaid.

Think he will be an upgrade over our 19 million dollar man. The defense will look better with Mathis taking over Freeneys spot and Walden playing Mathis's spot. I think the olbers will be rotated a bunch to keep them fresh and for certain situations.

nicely put

This s Sidbury was signed and one may be drafted

What? What does an agent have to do with this? No, his performance after signing the contract doesn't change the fact that he wasn't worth the $ based on his career so far.

Okay, are these statements correct?

I say you can't say you overpaid for a player until he actually plays for your team.

You say we overpaid for him no matter how he performs for us. So if goes all pro, we still overpaid, right?

If you really feel that way we'll just have to peacefully disagree.

Interesting logic.  I guess Andrew Luck was hugely overpaid as a rookie coming in last year then.  He was payed 4 million dollars and a 14.5 million dollar bonus, and since he had produced 0 completions, 0 TD passes and 0 passing yards in his career, that must mean he "wasn't worth the $ based on his career so far"

man, you completely missed his point, but we get your point though. Walden sat behind Mathews and hawk. His stats as a reserve are actually pretty good since obviously the Big Plays are going to be given to the big money playmakers and not the backups. the backups get the run plays and the scrap plays to give the starters a break. i definantly wouldnt judge him on his reserve numbers. And you really need to take the time and do some research on Walden, read his college stat info and watch some videos of him. Im pretty excited about him. I had no idea who he was until Grigson Picked him up but now i look and see Grigsons draft and his F/A so far and i see what he sees in Walden. I wouldve paid him that too. Walden is solid. However i see some serious competiion in Training Camp for the LOLB spot.

man, you completely missed his point, but we get your point though. Walden sat behind Mathews and hawk. His stats as a reserve are actually pretty good since obviously the Big Plays are going to be given to the big money playmakers and not the backups. the backups get the run plays and the scrap plays to give the starters a break. i definantly wouldnt judge him on his reserve numbers. And you really need to take the time and do some research on Walden, read his college stat info and watch some videos of him. Im pretty excited about him. I had no idea who he was until Grigson Picked him up but now i look and see Grigsons draft and his F/A so far and i see what he sees in Walden. I wouldve paid him that too. Walden is solid. However i see some serious competiion in Training Camp for the LOLB spot.

Dude, you guys are actually on the same side of the argument. lol

Mike Wallace was drafted in 2009, He has 32 touchdowns since then, over that same span Calvin Johnson only has 5 more in that same span, Calvin Johnson also has 5749 yards over that same span compared to 4,042, Johnson has played in 14 more games over that span then Wallace, Now given Wallaces average of 60 balls caught a year (235 career receptions divided by his 63 games played of which only 48 are starts(gives you number of balls he catches average per game which is 3.7 then) and X's his 17.2 career average per catch then Wallace is just around 400 yards shy of Johnson in that span.......As far as polished wr wise has Wallace earned that contract? Of course not, Has he earned his contract based on what he showed has done and can do? he sure has......Calvin Johnson has 54 touchdowns caught in 92 career games(average .59 per game if I figured that right in a pass heavy offense), Wallace has 32 td's in 63 career games in a more balanced offense(average .51 per game if I figured that right), There is not as big of a gap as one would think once you look past Calvin Johnsons obviously supreme star power compared to Wallaces

That is a slippery slope for you. You are comparing stats, and I promise you I can find more guys with recent contracts who are FAR better values than you can find who are comparable. I'd also argue that Megatron was paid based on what the Lions hope he will do.

Interesting logic. I guess Andrew Luck was hugely overpaid as a rookie coming in last year then. He was payed 4 million dollars and a 14.5 million dollar bonus, and since he had produced 0 completions, 0 TD passes and 0 passing yards in his career, that must mean he "wasn't worth the $ based on his career so far"

Thats not my point. Luck had shown what he could do already, he was one of the best players in college football, and one of the best prospects ever. Walden has always been mediocre/bad.

That is a slippery slope for you. You are comparing stats, and I promise you I can find more guys with recent contracts who are FAR better values than you can find who are comparable. I'd also argue that Megatron was paid based on what the Lions hope he will do.

Ok let me ask you something, First take for example Ziggy(Ezekiel) Ansah, would you pay him big money because he is deemed an athletic freak without him having much in terms of prior history of production just based what he might do?

If he does his job why would he be over paid? So far Grigson has done a fine job at getting the most out of a player. Last years players were put together when Grigson was in cap heck. He put together a team with around 30 players who were not considered other team starters. The one player who was way over paid was Freeney and he is gone.

Because we could've paid him much less to get him here. And if we couldn't, we should tell him to hit the road, cause he isn't getting 4 million a year anywhere else.

Ok let me ask you something, First take for example Ziggy(Ezekiel) Ansah, would you pay him big money because he is deemed an athletic freak without him having much in terms of prior history of production just based what he might do?

Would I? No. Can't afford even the lowest NFL salary. But ALL rookies are paid based on the promise of performance, and their draft positions reflect the amount of promise teams believe they have.

I completely get the point he was *attempting* to make.

It's just that there is no validity to it whatsoever, just as there is no validity to the statement I made.

Would I? No. Can't afford even the lowest NFL salary. But ALL rookies are paid based on the promise of performance, and their draft positions reflect the amount of promise teams believe they have.

My whole point being to compare the the risk of paying a guy for what he might do without him actually having done it previously, Wallace has a history of production, Ansah (for example) does not, Now you could pay big(or draft early in this case) for what Ansah has the potential to do (and I personally have no doubts that he can live up to the hype given a year or two in the league) and it pay off in some way either big or small or you can get a proven guy (and by proven I dont just someone whos been in the league a few years whos merely a backup player) OR you can draft the player at that same position who has done what Ansah (for example) might to. To me its a no brainer unless something such as an injury lowered a players draft stock(such as Brandon Jenkins, who could have likely been another first round pass rusher if it were not for him getting injured early this year) and then the decision is a bit tougher, Further My point is Wallace has produced big considering the number of games he has played in 

Thats not my point. Luck had shown what he could do already, he was one of the best players in college football, and one of the best prospects ever. Walden has always been mediocre/bad.

Okay, let's try this another way.  If players get paid on past performance, why is Ed Reed.....a future hall of famer and one of the best safeties ever to play the game.....only making 5 million next year?  Would you describe him as being criminally underpaid for 2013?  Would you have been cool with the Colts signing him for 8 million per year, because certainly his past performance would warrant him making that high of a salary, and since you think expected future performance is not a factor on whether or not someone is underpaid or overpaid, using your logic.....signing Ed Reed at 8 mill/yr would never be considered "overpaying" for him.

I guess people rather had overpaid for Kruger or got Avril and we would have been in the same position we were in before.

Interesting point....I was thinking the same thing.....Kruger having ONE good year and Avril switching back to LB after years as a DE....

In this forum.....ya cannot please everyone.  Quite frankly, that is what makes it so much fun :)

...and on a pay per stat basis, Walden is a far better value than, say, Kruger... who was widely coveted on this forum.

sure he is if your wanting less production, Kruger is by far the better player, I freely admit if Walden can give me 100 tackles and just double the amount of sacks he had last year(3) then I'll eat all kinds of crow, until then Im just happy that Grigson added that little stipulation about Waldens base salary(for 2014) being gauranteed not until the 5th day of the 2014 league year, Im rooting like heck for the guy but I feel we overpaid for a guy thats going to be in a rotation in terms of the actual contract itself and not the stipulation. I will say Walden does appear to be maybe a little bit stronger then Jerry in containment but thats splitting hairs at best, anyone could point to a play where either one held there containment assignment and declare one better then the other, 

I think a whole lot of people are going on Green Bay defensive ineptitude when deciding if Walden can play.  I keep seeing the words "bad, horrible.....mediocre at best amongst other wonderful comments of 'love.'

I know I have read good stuff (the majority from GB writers) and bad stuff. (PFF and Bleacher Report URGH)

Walden is one of my favorite pickups because he has Pagano's personal endorsement.  I am ready to watch as much training camp as possible, as much video as I can grab.  I think Walden is going to be a fan favorite....showing non-stop motor from sideline to sideline.  If he seals that edge, maybe we will not be looking at Arian Foster and Jamal Charles (Did I forget nemesis MJD?) running down the sidelines.....

Lets get to the draft and get to the draft!!!  Go  :colts:  :colts:

sure he is if your wanting less production, Kruger is by far the better player, I freely admit if Walden can give me 100 tackles and just double the amount of sacks he had last year(3) then I'll eat all kinds of crow, until then Im just happy that Grigson added that little stipulation about Waldens base salary(for 2014) being gauranteed not until the 5th day of the 2014 league year, Im rooting like heck for the guy but I feel we overpaid for a guy thats going to be in a rotation in terms of the actual contract itself and not the stipulation. I will say Walden does appear to be maybe a little bit stronger then Jerry in containment but thats splitting hairs at best, anyone could point to a play where either one held there containment assignment and declare one better then the other,

Is Kruger better? I don't know, given the limit if opportunity Walden had at GB, and given the limit of anything resembling decent play from Kruger. But let's go with your premise, as if it actually has legs, anyway.

Kruger is going to average twice as much salary as Walden. Can you show any way that he is guaranteed to provide twice as much value through production on the field? I surely do not.

I'd rather have Walden, and the opportunity to fill other hole(s).

I think a whole lot of people are going on Green Bay defensive ineptitude when deciding if Walden can play.  I keep seeing the words "bad, horrible.....mediocre at best amongst other wonderful comments of 'love.'

I know I have read good stuff (the majority from GB writers) and bad stuff. (PFF and Bleacher Report URGH)

Walden is one of my favorite pickups because he has Pagano's personal endorsement.  I am ready to watch as much training camp as possible, as much video as I can grab.  I think Walden is going to be a fan favorite....showing non-stop motor from sideline to sideline.  If he seals that edge, maybe we will not be looking at Arian Foster and Jamal Charles (Did I forget nemesis MJD?) running down the sidelines.....

Lets get to the draft and get to the draft!!!  Go  :colts:  :colts:

Im with you Brother,we will back any player that makes this team,do not base our opinions on sports writers,lets face it they have theyre own agendas,we do however dissect what our players do on the field and our probably most critical when they don't live up to what we expect.Walden im not worried about,he flat out will help seal the edge and help this team,Pagano and Grigs know this,IMO its time for people in here to start trusting these people and quit thinking they know more than them.I love what they've done in FA ,cant wait for the draft and then the field  :td:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :thmsup:

Because we could've paid him much less to get him here. And if we couldn't, we should tell him to hit the road, cause he isn't getting 4 million a year anywhere else.

How do you know that? How could you?

Reports suggest that we weren't the only team interested. James Casey got $5m/year. How do you know Walden wasn't going to get what he did from someone else? Because the so-called experts said so?

If Erik Walden had signed for one year, $2m, I think this board would be championing him as the steal of free agency, would be talking about how he wasn't used in a way that would allow him to flourish, etc. Like I've said several times, his contract caught me off guard, and I admit that I think we could have gotten him for less. But the money we did commit to him isn't hurting the team now, and the structure won't hurt us in the future. And when you look at OLBs in similar defenses that make $4m/year, it's not that difficult for someone to live up to that contract.

You gotta get over the sticker shock. Walden could very easily work out for us.

Okay, let's try this another way. If players get paid on past performance, why is Ed Reed.....a future hall of famer and one of the best safeties ever to play the game.....only making 5 million next year? Would you describe him as being criminally underpaid for 2013? Would you have been cool with the Colts signing him for 8 million per year, because certainly his past performance would warrant him making that high of a salary, and since you think expected future performance is not a factor on whether or not someone is underpaid or overpaid, using your logic.....signing Ed Reed at 8 mill/yr would never be considered "overpaying" for him.

Uh, no... The past performances for Reed you are mentioning are many years ago, recent performance by him hasn't been even close to 8 million per year.

You don't understand what I'm saying at all. Your post is just funny to read.

How do you know that? How could you?

Reports suggest that we weren't the only team interested. James Casey got $5m/year. How do you know Walden wasn't going to get what he did from someone else? Because the so-called experts said so?

If Erik Walden had signed for one year, $2m, I think this board would be championing him as the steal of free agency, would be talking about how he wasn't used in a way that would allow him to flourish, etc. Like I've said several times, his contract caught me off guard, and I admit that I think we could have gotten him for less. But the money we did commit to him isn't hurting the team now, and the structure won't hurt us in the future. And when you look at OLBs in similar defenses that make $4m/year, it's not that difficult for someone to live up to that contract.

You gotta get over the sticker shock. Walden could very easily work out for us.

lmao No, we wouldn't.

Mike Wallace was drafted in 2009, He has 32 touchdowns since then, over that same span Calvin Johnson only has 5 more in that same span, Calvin Johnson also has 5749 yards over that same span compared to 4,042, Johnson has played in 14 more games over that span then Wallace, Now given Wallaces average of 60 balls caught a year (235 career receptions divided by his 63 games played of which only 48 are starts(gives you number of balls he catches average per game which is 3.7 then) and X's his 17.2 career average per catch then Wallace is just around 400 yards shy of Johnson in that span.......As far as polished wr wise has Wallace earned that contract? Of course not, Has he earned his contract based on what he showed has done and can do? he sure has......Calvin Johnson has 54 touchdowns caught in 92 career games(average .59 per game if I figured that right in a pass heavy offense), Wallace has 32 td's in 63 career games in a more balanced offense(average .51 per game if I figured that right), There is not as big of a gap as one would think once you look past Calvin Johnsons obviously supreme star power compared to Wallaces

i would still take calvin johnson over wallace 10 out of 10 times

This is so unreasonable. Those are superstar numbers for a Sam backer. He's not getting paid like a superstar. He's getting paid like a solid Sam backer who splits time with a pass rusher.

Uh, no... The past performances for Reed you are mentioning are many years ago, recent performance by him hasn't been even close to 8 million per year.

You (and many members of the media agree with you) say we overpaid. What should we have paid? How do you know others weren't offering more than that?

I understand it if you just don't like him as a player and you think any contract would be too much, but I'm still trying to grasp this "overpay" thing.

IMO you pay a player based on what you think he's worth to the team. It may turn out we paid to much - once we see what he does. But until then, his value is undetermined.

I'm not pointing to you alone, I'd like to ask this questions to all the talking heads who get (over)paid for their opinions.

If the Colts overpaid for EW the Browns did the same thing for PK

No. People only say we overpaid cause he's not popular. Kruger was overrated last season. He didn't come on till late in the season. The Browns & Dolphins will soon find themselves in graves that they can't get out of

Oh, I understand the point you are trying, and failing mightily at making. It's not my fault you can't admit when you are wrong, even though a numerous people have pointed it out and proven it to you over and over.

But i'll stop right here though before I get banned.  Have a good day & keep trying to fight the good fight :thmup:

Oh, I understand the point you are trying, and failing mightily at making. It's not my fault you can't admit when you are wrong, even though a numerous people have pointed it out and proven it to you over and over.

But i'll stop right here though before I get banned.  Have a good day & keep trying to fight the good fight :thmup:

haha okay, kid. You failed to make your point, because apparently Reed should make tons of money because he was good years ago.

haha okay, kid. You failed to make your point, because apparently Reed should make tons of money because he was good years ago.

Aren't you a prince. Easy to knock him for lack of proof, but your entire house of cards is built on one very unreliable source saying that Walden is no good, in the face of multiple, more reliable sources saying otherwise.

Aren't you a prince. Easy to knock him for lack of proof, but your entire house of cards is built on one very unreliable source saying that Walden is no good, in the face of multiple, more reliable sources saying otherwise.

What sources?

Oh really? And what would those sources be?

If the Redskins signed Walden to a 4yr $16 million deal we'd all be laughing at them. Instead it's "Oh well he's not overpaid he's a total steal!"

I think a whole lot of people are going on Green Bay defensive ineptitude when deciding if Walden can play. I keep seeing the words "bad, horrible.....mediocre at best amongst other wonderful comments of 'love.'

Walden is one of my favorite pickups because he has Pagano's personal endorsement. I am ready to watch as much training camp as possible, as much video as I can grab. I think Walden is going to be a fan favorite....showing non-stop motor from sideline to sideline. If he seals that edge, maybe we will not be looking at Arian Foster and Jamal Charles (Did I forget nemesis MJD?) running down the sidelines.....

Lets get to the draft and get to the draft!!! Go :colts::colts:

I'm with you I actually really like Walden I think he will be real good for us plus he looks like a beast lol