Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terrence Johnson Could Start In Week 3

tfunky14

Tom James, the man behind CBS Sports' Rapid Reports is reporting that the Colts might start Terrence Johnson at corner over Jacob Lacey this Sunday against thePittsburgh Steelers.

It's no mystery that Jacob Lacey stinks as a corner. What baffles us is how the Colts thought this guy could start in the first place when it was clear as day that Justin Tryon was better. Even more odd is the notion of starting Johnson, an undrafted player out of California, PA, over Tryon. Tyron started six games last year for the Colts, and played pretty well. Johnson was signed to the practice squad last year after the New England Patriots dumped him twice.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/23/2444498/colts-might-start-terrence-johnson-at-cb-against-steelers-Sunday

Sept. 23, 2011 10:46 a.m. - by Tom James - Johnson might get start at CB over Lacey

With CB Jacob Lacey struggling with consistency over the first two games of the season, CBTerrence Johnson could find himself starting against Pittsburgh Sunday night. "My reps have increased a little this week," Johnson said. "I'm not sure [if he'll start]. I won't know until I get to the game." Colts RapidReports

My link

Lacey has the speed but not the physique to jam Wallace or Ward who are both physical wideouts, maybe they feel Terrence Johnson can. From one UDFA to another, hmmm...hope it works out. Lacey will just be pushed out on running plays if Mendenhall goes outside the tackles, that could be an extra reason why.

Terrance johnson is not scared to tackle but idk about him being good at coverage... if this guy sucks come sunday whoever put this guy as the starter should be fired POINT BLANK cause they colts have much better corners than him.

I don't think they expect TJ to keep up with him, they will provide safety help over the top with Mike Wallace but for Hines Ward, they will put the physical corner on him (most likely Jerraud Powers and expect him to shut him down). That way, with safety help, TJ can jam and pass him over to the safety in zone coverage. Lacey might actually make more plays if he is playing in that zone than playing man vs Wallace.

I don't think they expect TJ to keep up with him, they will provide safety help over the top with Mike Wallace but for Hines Ward, they will put the physical corner on him (most likely Jerraud Powers and expect him to shut him down). That way, with safety help, TJ can jam and pass him over to the safety in zone coverage. Lacey might actually make more plays if he is playing in that zone than playing man vs Wallace.

Thats why in dont get this... why start this dude over someon like kevin thomas who is much faster and more physical... it baffels me... kevin thomas's tome is from 4.34 to 4.41 while TJ avg is 4.50's the guy ran a 4.62... lets forget speed how long has he been with the colts where as thomas has been with this team much longer... this doesnt make any sense at all.

Why wouldn't it be Justin Tryon?

Phil Wilson asked Larry Coyer today about Tryon's playing time. Coyers response was that he really liked him and he was very competitive, but that Wilson would have to ask that question to the head coach.

Does Coyer have no say on who plays in his defense?