Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per roto Colts moving on from Hey-Bey

Indeee

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like DaRick Rogers or Quinton Patton as suitable replacements for Reggie, although I don't know about taking those guys in the first round. I'd take Patterson or possibly even Hunter in the 1st, but not Rogers and Patton. Probably 2nd or 3rd for those two.

ok so my decision to go wr doesnt make me immune to the concept of BPA

No my point still stands...

Quote: coltsrule91 "this basically says we are going WR in the first round"

What if BPA is one of the 12 other positions we could go for?

Free agent Darrius Heyward-Bey left his Lions visit without a contract, but hinted he'll soon decide between the Lions and Colts.

DHB visited the Colts on Tuesday. He isn't known to have scheduled any other trips. Heyward-Bey would be a situational deep threat for either team, but is a good fit for two of the league's most vertical offense.

-Rotoworld

I guess he isn't moving on.

No my point still stands...

Quote: coltsrule91 "this basically says we are going WR in the first round"

What if BPA is one of the 12 other positions we could go for?

well it wont really matter now since it seems dhb is still in play. if he signs here I say we go G or pass rusher

We have numerous positions of need that go well ahead of WR.

If we did take a WR in the first, he'd better have Grigs smiling from ear to ear. With Wayne and Hilton already locked and loaded, I could look toward other cores of the team and see a huge talent disparity.

Wayne isn't gonna be here forever though. And besides them two everyone else we have is unproven really. Brazil and Whalen have shown some potential but that doesn't mean anything is guaranteed with them. And as far as the rest of our team goes we don't really have any big holes as of right now. Now we don't have star studed players at every position but that's not gonna happen. Pagono wants competition and guys who play hard and to the whistle. I think well be fine with whichever direction we go. Grigs knows what he's doing.

well it wont really matter now since it seems dhb is still in play. if he signs here I say we go G or pass rusher

My preference would be Guard but I don't see that happening as Warmack and Cooper are probably gone. I'd like a pass rusher as well, I think a good guy might be available at #24 but I see the most likely scenario being us trading back as there should be loads of good guys in the second round. Would Barret Jones and Jamie Collins be too much to ask for??

you want to use a first round pick on a backup

If that's the way to get the most talent on the roster, yes.

Tarik Glenn, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, and Dallas Clark all started off as a back-ups, won starting spots, and allowed the team to use them as cheaper replacements.

Why would you intentionally draft someone who's not as talented?

BPA is a smoke screen. If we have a need, and there's a 1st round grade on a player in that position, he's gonna be selected.

Considering recent FA moves, and that a 1st round WR is more valuable than a 1st round guard, we go WR in the 1st.

Unless all the 1st round graded WRs are gone.

If we did take a WR in the first, he'd better have Grigs smiling from ear to ear. With Wayne and Hilton already locked and loaded, I could look toward other cores of the team and see a huge talent disparity. 

I disagree, if the best player available is a wideout I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go WR. Seen a lot of mock drafts with them taking guys like Hopkins with the first pick. Reggie is going to have to be replaced soon enough.

We definately will be going BPA. Question is who will that be? No matter what we do I would be very upset if Grigson passed on a guy because we have someone else already here. Its like Portland passing on Micheal Jordan because they already had a two guard in Clyde Drexler and they needed a center. If you have someone that is clearly on your board that grades out to be pro bowler or 10 year starter...a difference maker you take them. Guard, Center, LB, RB, WR whatever the case. If it means we move someone else, trade them, cut them or someone else sits the bench thats fine by mean. I would much rather take a pro bowl caliber player even if we have servicable players in their position take safety or corner for instance if we think there is the next revis or sanders or champ bailey then spend a pick on a servicable starter at guard or lb. If there is that guy....rb, wr, lb, s, cb whatever...I want him. I don't want to think we could have had the next ed reed , emmitt smith, or orlando pace but we chose a Jerome Pathon or Donald Brown because they fit a so called need.

I think the Colts made the right call with Heywood-Bey.  He is the best of what was left which isn't saying too much.  The Colts may desire another WR but they are not desperate for it to the point that they are willing to overpay for mediocre players...thankfully.

At this point, there really isn't much left on the free agent market in terms of wide receivers worth signing. Neither Heywood-Bey, Brandon Lloyd, Randy Moss or Laurant Robinson do much for me.   IMO, the Colts would be better served to just take a young one in the draft and if they do I expect it will come in the first round.  Sure there is more of a need at RG but the draft is deep at that position this year and the Colts should be able to find decent quality there later.  Heck they may take a couple of guys for the Oline before the draft is said and done.  But the Colts know that they created a need at WR by releasing Avery. Also from Irsay's tweets it is evident that they are looking for an impact type player at the position. Couple that with a weak remaining WR free agent pool and it screams first round pick to me.  A first round talent WR on a rookie contract is better value than anything remaining on the free agent market at present.  IMO, the Colts have an itch for a potential impact caliber WR and they intend on scratching it in the most cost effective manner available. 

If that's the way to get the most talent on the roster, yes.

Tarik Glenn, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, and Dallas Clark all started off as a back-ups, won starting spots, and allowed the team to use them as cheaper replacements.

Why would you intentionally draft someone who's not as talented?

Not sure on Tarik off the top of my head but everyone else mentioned was a first rounder. The investment was for starters. It's not a low risk high reward thing.

First round picks ideally are for long term superstars. Most are busts or average/slightly above average starters. However, giving up that pick completely ruins a chance at drafting a superstar that will automatically have less wear and tear compared to any free agent.