• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm...link?

Umm Ok!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5093/darrius-heyward-bey

Darrius Heyward-Bey left his visit to Indianapolis without a contract.
The Colts are moving on in their search of a third receiver to play behind Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton. The Indy Star cites free agents Brandon Lloyd and Mohamed Massaquoi as options, but they may be better off just looking to the draft or developing LaVon Brazill. Heyward-Bey is meeting with the Lions Wednesday. Mar 27 - 10:43 AM

If we took a pass on him I trust there was a good reason. Guy probably wanted a long contract at this point in his career. 

We aren't drafting a WR in the first, so people might wanna just get that idea out of their heads. 

If we took a pass on him I trust there was a good reason. Guy probably wanted a long contract at this point in his career. 

We aren't drafting a WR in the first, so people might wanna just get that idea out of their heads. 

and what makes you think that? other then G, theres nothing else worth taking in the first round for us

and what makes you think that? other then G, theres nothing else worth taking in the first round for us

We have numerous positions of need that go well ahead of WR. 

If we did take a WR in the first, he'd better have Grigs smiling from ear to ear. With Wayne and Hilton already locked and loaded, I could look toward other cores of the team and see a huge talent disparity. 

We have numerous positions of need that go well ahead of WR. 

If we did take a WR in the first, he'd better have Grigs smiling from ear to ear. With Wayne and Hilton already locked and loaded, I could look toward other cores of the team and see a huge talent disparity. 

you seem to forget two more years and reggie is gone. we need to start grooming our new 1 before he leaves and to have chemistry with andrew

you seem to forget two more years and reggie is gone. we need to start grooming our new 1 before he leaves and to have chemistry with andrew

Didn't forget that. It certainly is looming and it would be nice to have a guy installed ahead of time. 

Ever since last years draft I've felt that we'd go defense heavy in the 2013 draft.

PS: I feel we are grooming our future #1. 

1 guess who I'm talkin 'bout. 

Didn't forget that. It certainly is looming and it would be nice to have a guy installed ahead of time. 

Ever since last years draft I've felt that we'd go defense heavy in the 2013 draft.

im a huge ty fan but rather he can be a true number 1 reminds to be seen

doesnt necesarilly " say " we're going with a WR in the first round. Doesn't say anything actually, except that we are not getting DHB lol.

we wouldnt have tried this hard to get him if we weren't looking to add another wr

we wouldnt have tried this hard to get him if we weren't looking to add another wr

tried hard?? all they did was bring him in for a visit. they didnt try to " hard " lol.  and i didnt say we wouldnt be looking for another receiver, BUT to waste a first pick on one when defense and offensive line is a much bigger need, would be a dumb move and i dont think grigson/Irsay would do that.

tried hard?? all they did was bring him in for a visit. they didnt try to " hard " lol.  and i didnt say we wouldnt be looking for another receiver, BUT to waste a first pick on one when defense and offensive line is a much bigger need, would be a dumb move and i dont think grigson/Irsay would do that.

They would if a receiver was the BPA.

yes tried hard. look at irsay's tweets. our whole FA was o-line and defensive. now we need to get andrew another toy

To me this says that DHB priced himself out of a job here.  DHB is a solid WR, but Grigson was not going to bring him in unless he was cheap and I am guessing DHB view of his value and Grigson's view did not line up.  I am not to heartbroken about him leaving town because WRs like him are pretty much dime a dozen.

This definitely does not indicate that we are going WR in the first round.  I will actually be rather disappointed if we do.  The primary goal to me is still protect Luck.  A great QB, which I think Luck will become, that has time will make your average WR look much better.  Peyton did it with guys like Collie and Stokely and if we give Luck the time and he develops we should be able to do it with guys like Brazil and Whalen.

Primary goal has to be build the defense and protect Luck. Do not get me wrong if one of the top tier WR some how drop to us then I will not complain.

even if he is we still need someone to replace reggie

This.  I am continually baffled by those that seem to see WR as a position of strength.  A 34 year old vet, a 3rd round rookie with promise, a 6th round rookie with limited play time, and an UDFA.

I like TY as much as the next guy, but he doesn't have the size/strength to help much on running downs.  He will consistently be used as a field stretch, which he is great for, but at 5-9 183, I don't see him as someone who is a sure thing to stay healthy every week.  He's not a "slot" guy per se, he's simply best used in 3 WR sets keeping him fresh to take the top off the defense 10-20 plays a game.

As for this signally our use of a 1st on a WR, I wouldn't think that directly.  I still think it is a strong possibility, it just depends on who is sitting there.  I for one doubt it will be a pass rusher or anything of that sort as we have invested heavily in the position both this off season and with holdovers in Mathis and Hughes.  Will Hughes shine this year?  I hope so, but drafting another pass rusher with the additions of Walden and Sidburry just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

All that said, I am hoping either G or WR with that pick.  More towards WR, but it is far from a lock, IMO.

Manti Teo?

No, who?

There must be some confusion about what I meant ......

I was implying that we're grooming Hilton as our future #1 WR.

As for the 1st round pick and my guess at who it will be? I really have no idea.

LT - 1st rounder

LG - 4/14 million FA

C - 3/10 million FA

RG - Best of our 2 starters last year, I presume

RT - 5/35 million FA

DE - 3/10 million FA

NT - 2/2 million (McKinney); 1 year deal for Abrayu Franklin who could be a somebody

DE - 4/22 million FA

WR - 3/17million

WR - 3rd rounder, 4/2.6

WR - 6th rounder, 4/2.2

Outside of our NT position, we have far more invested on both the offensive and defensive lines than we do at WR.  And while salary is not directly translated to talent, the fact they are on the roster being paid that much generally suggests they aren't here to be the backups.

That being said, we have room for investment at WR, thus the reason they brought in DHB for a look.  I would highly suspect that the front office is serious about bringing in someone else who can contribute, whether that is the first round or otherwise.  I would like to see a first rounder myself.  No better time than now to bring in someone to pair with Luck for the next 10 year to go along with TY.

As for the 1st round pick and my guess at who it will be? I really have no idea.

Hilton as the #1, at least to me, seems a long shot.  How many top tier WR are 5-9 183 or anywhere close?  The closest would be Carolina's Steve Smith, and he appears to be a completely different build (more RB-esque).  I could be wrong, but I like how they used TY last year.  That role will probably increase, but to be the future #1 just doesn't seem all that likely.

I was being sarcastic with my answer.

I got what you were saying that TY is going to be groomed as the #1 WR.

I knew you meant Hilton I was just being cheeky. I agree with your earlier post that we still have plenty of needs we could fill with the No.1, but given Grigson's repetitive assurances that he wants to pick the best player on the board, I think that if it's a WR we'll take them (and I just so happen to think there could be a couple at 24 worth taking). Also I'm not too convinced on T.Y. as a number 1, and I'm not even sure our FO is convinced he's a No.2. Otherwise why would we go after DHB? I'm not saying he can't be that guy. Just because he's a "peanut" and has that prototypical slot or no.2 build doesn't mean he can't be a number 1. However, for now I remain unconvinced.

Hilton as the #1, at least to me, seems a long shot.  How many top tier WR are 5-9 183 or anywhere close?  The closest would be Carolina's Steve Smith, and he appears to be a completely different build (more RB-esque).  I could be wrong, but I like how they used TY last year.  That role will probably increase, but to be the future #1 just doesn't seem all that likely.

We used to have a little guy that was quite comfortable in that #1 spot. 

I honestly believe they drafted Brazill last year with the though of grooming him to become Reggie's successor. Time will tell I guess. 

Draft best player available with the first pick. Give Brazill a every opportunity to get reps. Draft a WR in the mid rounds. 

ALSO, don't forget that Fleener will be split out more often than not this year, and we also have Whalen, although what he can really do remains to be unseen. 

I knew you meant Hilton I was just being cheeky. I agree with your earlier post that we still have plenty of needs we could fill with the No.1, but given Grigson's repetitive assurances that he wants to pick the best player on the board, I think that if it's a WR we'll take them (and I just so happen to think there could be a couple at 24 worth taking). Also I'm not too convinced on T.Y. as a number 1, and I'm not even sure our FO is convinced he's a No.2. Otherwise why would we go after DHB? I'm not saying he can't be that guy. Just because he's a "peanut" and has that prototypical slot or no.2 build doesn't mean he can't be a number 1. However, for now I remain unconvinced.

As far as DHB..... I view that endeavor as more opening the door to opportunity. The door was shut, as we all know. I would assume DHB wanted something long-term and we didn't. The fact that we didn't want him signed long-term further indicates that he was just an adornment prospect as opposed to a solution for Reggie's departure. 

why not give Wayley a shot, or how ever you spell his name... He played with luck at stanford and under hamilton

If Grigson and Irsay were looking to add another #2 receiver it must mean that they don't feel that good about the guys we have lower on the depth chart.