Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Rodgers to get new extension making him highest paid QB

amfootball

Just saw on ESPN that Green Bay is looking to sign Aaron Rodgers to an extension this off-season which will make him the highest paid player in NFL history. I don't have a link as it was on TV. I am sure ESPN will have something on it soon.

If true, this will really hurt the Packers chances of rebuilding their D.

Just saw on ESPN that Green Bay is looking to sign Aaron Rodgers to an extension this off-season which will make him the highest paid player in NFL history. I don't have a link as it was on TV. I am sure ESPN will have something on it soon.

If true, this will really hurt the Packers chances of rebuilding their D.

agree, that much straps any team, maybe flacco will hold out unless gets even more ( lol )

And the madness and insanity continues.  The had the lockout and complain of the expenses and money they have to spend to pay the players,  then as soon as it ended, they start spending like there is no tomorrow.  Can't blame players for trying to get as much as they can,  but until the owners start to call enough enough,  and not try to outdo and outbid each other,  the insanity continues.

And in some dark room in Baltimore Joe Flacco is saying, "REALLY?"

It's lonely at the mountain top Joe. Welcome back down to Earth & the decimated Ravens team you now have. Happy, happy, joy, joy...Not! 

Cue "Taps" on the trumpet please...Just Kidding!!! Good luck Joe. You're gonna need it man.

And the madness and insanity continues.  The had the lockout and complain of the expenses and money they have to spend to pay the players,  then as soon as it ended, they start spending like there is no tomorrow.  Can't blame players for trying to get as much as they can,  but until the owners start to call enough enough,  and not try to outdo and outbid each other,  the insanity continues.

Well said CM51. Well said.  :hat:

4 years, $100 mil?  I don't even know where to start with how absurd that is.

Yes, it is absurd but if they back loaded the deal, and word is, the cap will go up significantly by 2015.

So, let us say they have it spread out as $20 mil., $25 mil., $25 mil. and $30 mil.

If your cap is $150 mil. in 2015,  % wise, it might still be around the same.

4 years, $100 mil?  I don't even know where to start with how absurd that is.

That's a lot of money to pay a QB you can't protect HC Mike McCarthy...I hope you have a plan you can implement this April at the draft with ease. A reliable RB might be nice & some sturdy, agile linemen too actually.

I don't get it. With the way these contracts keep going up, imagine what we'll have to pay Luck in 3 years. Hopefully the salary cap is $200 million.

I do feel sorry for LBs that sign contracts for $6 million vs NFL QBs that get $100 million dollars that's just so wrong to me. See Bengals LB Rey Maualuga's new contract extension for example...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9065958/2013-nfl-free-agency-rey-maualuga-re-signs-cincinnati-bengals

One quick thought though, with the cap very static for at least the next two years, we are reaching a tipping point on quarterback salaries. 1/6 of a teams cap to one player always catches up to a team. Something is going to change, I don't know how or what, but it is out of balance. Also, just think of the players who are coming up for renewal. Ryan, Romo, Kaepernick in two years. I know there are others, but it is going to be interesting to monitor this. Regardless, everyone wants a true franchise, and as history has shown, it is almost impossible to win a SB without one.

Ridiculous amount of money. But he can obviously argue that with Average Joe getting 20 mil. Nobody can argue Rogers is not better than Flacco. 

Honestly though, even if I was some elite QB, I would definitely cap how much I would take from my team. I mean really, we don't make 5 million in our lifetimes. So I'm pretty sure in everyday life that extra 5m over 15m isn't going to be much of a difference except for it looks nicer in your bank account. 

Actually, the success in GB is dependent on 2 people: DC Dom Capers & the o-line coach James Campen. If you give Aaron Rogers time to survey the field & not get sacked, he'll be okay IMO. Letting Charles Woodson go was a mistake I think. Time will tell I guess.

The salaries in the NFL have gotten ridiculous. I am not sure why every QB who gets a new contract feels he has to be the highest paid player. I am starting to think that Brady gets it.

Yet, they still makes less than basketball/baseball players. If I was an nfl player that would so irk me. The freaking nfl combine probably gets higher ratings than some baseball playoff games.

Ridiculous amount of money. But he can obviously argue that with Average Joe getting 20 mil. Nobody can argue Rogers is not better than Flacco. 

Honestly though, even if I was some elite QB, I would definitely cap how much I would take from my team. I mean really, we don't make 5 million in our lifetimes. So I'm pretty sure in everyday life that extra 5m over 15m isn't going to be much of a difference except for it looks nicer in your bank account. 

You do make a valid point Derakynn. I don't blame a guy for getting what the market bears & Rogers did win a SB vs the Steelers. I'm not greedy. $5 million sounds great to me. I could live quite nicely on that. I'm not a flamboyant, over the top spender. Like CM51 said earlier, it's ironic to see owners complain how tough their financial situation is & then throw around outlandish contract QB numbers like it's a drop in the bucket. Kind of a mixed message there NFL owners. 

Yet, they still makes less than basketball/baseball players. If I was an nfl player that would so irk me. The freaking nfl combine probably gets higher ratings than some baseball playoff games.

Yeah.....the NBA and its guaranteed contracts have basically destroyed that league (even though it is coming back).

Not sure if Packer nation will feel the same. Will be hard to build a team with one player taking up 20 percent of the cap.

Its going to be hard, but you have to make Rodgers the highest paid quarterback he deserves to be paid. Also, if you let him leave he has about 8 more good years in him. Plus they were able to deal with Farve, I understand its hard but you gotta make it work. 

Look at Indy, Manning got paid and they still found a way to get things to work and Indianapolis isnt the biggest market in the NFL

Yet, they still makes less than baseball players.

One nice thing about baseball contracts is: The contract is fully guaranteed. You can't say that in the NFL. One year, the HC loves ya. The next year, your production slips & the GM says take a pay cut or we will release you from our roster. Years mean nothing on an NFL contract. 

Its going to be hard, but you have to make Rodgers the highest paid quarterback he deserves to be paid. Also, if you let him leave he has about 8 more good years in him. Plus they were able to deal with Farve, I understand its hard but you gotta make it work. 

Look at Indy, Manning got paid and they still found a way to get things to work and Indianapolis isnt the biggest market in the NFL

Manning might have been paid at the top but his salary was never this big. These contracts that are well over 20M with a flat cap that is not predicted to increase that much in the next two years and if this economy keeps tanking it may go down instead of up. Not sure how any QB can look at a contract like this and think they will have a competitive team around them. If this does happen expect Matthews to be released instead of resigned. And the O line? Forget it. Rodgers will be running for his life the rest of his career. His star studded WR core has already started to disintegrate, more Jordi Nelsons instead of Jennings are in his future.

One other thing to consider, the salaries for other positions are going up too. I mean Welker, a slot guy, got 9.5 mil last year and that was an average of the top 5 at his position. I mean it is crazy. Glad Brady did what he did or else the Pats would be up a creek...

Manning might have been paid at the top but his salary was never this big. These contracts that are well over 20M with a flat cap that is not predicted to increase that much in the next two years and if this economy keeps tanking it may go down instead of up. Not sure how any QB can look at a contract like this and think they will have a competitive team around them. If this does happen expect Matthews to be released instead of resigned. And the O line? Forget it. Rodgers will be running for his life the rest of his career. His star studded WR core has already started to disintegrate, more Jordi Nelsons instead of Jennings are in his future.

One other thing to consider, the salaries for other positions are going up too. I mean Welker, a slot guy, got 9.5 mil last year and that was an average of the top 5 at his position. I mean it is crazy. Glad Brady did what he did or else the Pats would be up a creek...

They are probably going up in response to everyone believing in a huge cap increase in 2015.  

Another thing that amazes me is that backup QB's are getting 4 million dollars these days.