Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

I would be happy if one of the following were there at 24:  

Austin

Hunter

Allen

Patterson

Anbyody else would be a reach!

I would be happy with any of those except Austin. No need to bring in another slot receiver to add to the 4 already on the roster. We need a big guy that is capable of being a #1 eventually and Austin will always be a slot guy.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, people can disagree if they choose to, but I think it's dead. If they still figure out a way to pull it off, then great, but I don't see it happening. I know what Kravitz said, but that is just GM speak IMO and I've heard it all before from GM's from every sport. Most of the time it never happens once the words "were waiting for the price to go down" are said. If the price goes down on "mystery" WR, then that just means other teams will get in on it too making it that much harder to complete. Like I said, believe if you want too, but I'm not expecting anything. Were not just going to sit around and stop putting the team together hoping that whatever team involved decides to lower their price.

You have reached your daily limits .So i must add great read :)And I agree even if deal is dead if someone comes to the market DE OG or other and it makes us better competitors Grigs will pounce.

I guess I'm inclined to agree with Balzer that this WR trade deal appears to be dead... But for kicks and giggles, I had another thought (or cranial infarction, more likely)...

What if it's Justin Blackmon. Jags need to improve in so many areas, and if they were offered a package of 2 or 3 guys like Satele, Hughes, maybe Brazill, and/or mid round draft pick (or two)...

I wasn't terribly high on him last year, but almost entirely because he went to the Jags. Otherwise, he would be reasonably priced and could grow into a future #1. Just a thought.

I guess I'm inclined to agree with Balzer that this WR trade deal appears to be dead... But for kicks and giggles, I had another thought (or cranial infarction, more likely)...

What if it's Justin Blackmon. Jags need to improve in so many areas, and if they were offered a package of 2 or 3 guys like Satele, Hughes, maybe Brazill, and/or mid round draft pick (or two)...

I wasn't terribly high on him last year, but almost entirely because he went to the Jags. Otherwise, he would be reasonably priced and could grow into a future #1. Just a thought.

I don't know if I could ever see the Jags helping us out, even if it also benefited them.

Listen, people can disagree if they choose to, but I think it's dead. If they still figure out a way to pull it off, then great, but I don't see it happening. I know what Kravitz said, but that is just GM speak IMO and I've heard it all before from GM's from every sport. Most of the time it never happens once the words "were waiting for the price to go down" are said. If the price goes down on "mystery" WR, then that just means other teams will get in on it too making it that much harder to complete. Like I said, believe if you want too, but I'm not expecting anything. Were not just going to sit around and stop putting the team together hoping that whatever team involved decides to lower their price.

and you are more than free to think it's dead.  I am just giving you a legit news source that says it's not.  If you don't think Kravitz is right that's fine.  I've had times where I think Kravitz is wrong too but in the past his sources turn out to be right. 

I'll give you another one.  When I was in the shower today I was listening to the radio and Chappell was on and said he expects a WR to be brought in the next couple of weeks and he also thinks the Colts are still trying to make the deal work for the "mystery" WR.  Those two get paid to figure out what is up with the Colts if they say the deal is still going on good enough for me.  If you don't think it's good enough that's fine. 

I don't know if I could ever see the Jags helping us out, even if it also benefited them.

you are prolly right, but they brought Blackmon in to surround Gabbert with weapons and allow him to develop into a bonafide NFL QB... Only Gabby didn't, and now they have a weapon that can't be maximized until the right pieces are in place (if that can EVER happen in Jax).

and you are more than free to think it's dead.  I am just giving you a legit news source that says it's not.  If you don't think Kravitz is right that's fine.  I've had times where I think Kravitz is wrong too but in the past his sources turn out to be right. 

I'll give you another one.  When I was in the shower today I was listening to the radio and Chappell was on and said he expects a WR to be brought in the next couple of weeks and he also thinks the Colts are still trying to make the deal work for the "mystery" WR.  Those two get paid to figure out what is up with the Colts if they say the deal is still going on good enough for me.  If you don't think it's good enough that's fine. 

It's not that I think Kravitz is wrong, It's just that I can't see us sitting back and playing the waiting game when there are other pieces that need to be added. Sure the guy's we bring in from this point on, probably won't be costly players, but the cap is already getting tight in terms of money that is actually spendable. I don't see us going into the season with any less than 8-9 million left in the reseves for in season moves and I think were already only about 8 million away from that. so unless major cuts are made, I don't see us adding a pricey WR. We may bring in a cheap WR, but I think many are still holding out hope for Cruz, Fitz, type of receivers and I don't see that happening.

you are prolly right, but they brought Blackmon in to surround Gabbert with weapons and allow him to develop into a bonafide NFL QB... Only Gabby didn't, and now they have a weapon that can't be maximized until the right pieces are in place (if that can EVER happen in Jax).

The Jags are just a mess. I don't see much hope for that organization anytime soon. Gabbert has been a complete and utter failure and they're probably stuck with him for the near future anyway. 

It's not that I think Kravitz is wrong, It's just that I can't see us sitting back and playing the waiting game when there are other pieces that need to be added. Sure the guy's we bring in from this point on, probably won't be costly players, but the cap is already getting tight in terms of money that is actually spendable. I don't see us going into the season with any less than 8-9 million left in the reseves for in season moves and I think were already only about 8 million away from that. so unless major cuts are made, I don't see us adding a pricey WR. We may bring in a cheap WR, but I think many are still holding out hope for Cruz, Fitz, type of receivers and I don't see that happening.

I don't think they are playing the waiting game.  The fact they signed Hasselbeck shows they aren't.  If they see a chance to land a player they want that will make the team better they will do it regardless of this trade.  With that said just because they want a WR if the other team is asking for a say first and they are only willing to part with a third doesn't mean they are going to up the offer to a first just to get the WR.  I could see them stepping back and waiting to see if the asking price for the guy they want comes down once that team realizes they aren't going to do better than what the Colts are offering.  A lot of people thought the Davis trade was dead at one point last year because it got quiet and no one was saying anything and then Irsay sent out a tweet about something like "it takes time to make a deal."  It's a part of negation these things don't have happen over night most of the time.  It could take a few weeks.  Like Chap said today he expects them to get a WR sometime in the next couple of weeks and he feels it could very well be that mystery guy. 

Also I think the Colts would tell you they feel like they have addressed most of their holes already.  Again, just because we as fans think there are other holes or maybe don't like some of the ways they addressed those holes doesn't mean the team feels those are still holes.  With that said I go back to what I said at first though, if the Colts can get a guy they think will make their team better they aren't going to pass on him just because of this trade though.  I would even say that includes another WR.  Say just for fun here (and I want to be clear I know this will NOT happen I am just using this as an example) that Fitz gets cut tomorrow I am sure if the Colts wanted him they would try to sign him and if they did then they would just call whoever they have been talking too and say hey sorry we are no longer interested in a deal. 

Just because Irsay put it on twitter Saturday night and it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's dead.  It just means it hasn't happened yet.  It might very well not happen at all we don't know but we also have no way of knowing if it's dead or not either. 

Also we have no idea how much money Colts are willing to take into this season for future years or not.  Just because you don't happen to see them going into the year with less than 8 to 9 million doesn't mean Grigson doesn't have some other plan.  Also there are other ways to make space if needed.  They can cut players if they have too or they can go to a guy like Wayne or Mathis and have them adjust there contracts to free up space.  They can give McAfee a long term deal and probably free up another couple of million if they need too.  There are ways to make money and set up contracts to work around the cap if need be.

We also have no idea who this WR is so we have no idea if he's going to be pricy or not.  Everyone jumped to conclusions about who this guy was because they wanted a big name with little to back up that these big name WRs are really who the Colts are looking at or not. In fact the two biggest have been taken off the table.  Irsay confirmed it's not Cruz and the Cards beat writer did a story yesterday the Cardinals have zero interest in trading Fitz this off-season.  That was all just pure fan speculation.  As we have already seen this off-season what the Colts and Irsay define is a big landing in the off-season might not match what the fans feel is one. 

I have no way of knowing that the deal is still alive and you have no way of knowing it's dead.  The only thing I have are two people who get paid to cover the Colts saying it's still alive.  So why don't we just sit back and wait and see what happens rather than rushing to judgment to declare it's dead or they must be going after this guy?  I know that isn't as much fun but it will probably save a lot of useless arguing on everyone's side. 

""

Just because Irsay put it on twitter Saturday night and it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's dead.  It just means it hasn't happened yet.  It might very well not happen at all we don't know but we also have no way of knowing if it's dead or not either. 

""

I have no way of knowing that the deal is still alive and you have no way of knowing it's dead.  The only thing I have are two people who get paid to cover the Colts saying it's still alive.  So why don't we just sit back and wait and see what happens rather than rushing to judgment to declare it's dead or they must be going after this guy?  I know that isn't as much fun but it will probably save a lot of useless arguing on everyone's side. 

GC8818 Everything you said is right.

Right... But I guarantee our "overanxious" owner is not doing HIS own franchise any favors by popping off on the keyboard on lonely Saturday nights...

I mean come on Jim ... act professional. .

minus the tweet from Kravitz last night saying the Colts were still in the hunt for the mystery WR they were just waiting for the asking price to come down.

I've said it before what is needed here is patience. That doesn't mean it will happen but it's not dead yet.

Right... But I guarantee our "overanxious" owner is not doing HIS own franchise any favors by getting hammered and popping off on the keyboard on lonely Saturday nights...

I mean come on Jim ... act professional. .

he doesn't drink, just because he is odd doesn't make him a drunk

Right... But I guarantee our "overanxious" owner is not doing HIS own franchise any favors by getting hammered and popping off on the keyboard on lonely Saturday nights...

I mean come on Jim ...  act professional. . 

I like you John but I don't think it's cool to make a reference to our owner being hammered with zero proof to back it up.

Who will be there at 24 that is worthy of a 1st rd pick

It has to be Keenan Allen or DeAndre Hopkins, they are NFL ready, plug and play, i don't really think there is much difference between this two guys, both are good and can become great.

Allen is a bit taller and is expected to run a little faster, but you know.. marginal diference.

The thing is..at #24 one is probably for the colts, i hope the viks take Austin with one of their picks, so one of this guys is for us and the other will go to the Texans, so we'll see them both play up close.

The only reason to belive that this mystery reciever deal is dead is because Irsay has not been tweeting rapidly like he was when this all started.

Honestly, its not about who we make a deal for or even if we make a deal anymore. It's about knowing. Maybe we are in wait it out mode, maybe we arent. The fans want to know. Irsay let us in with his tweets and since then has sort of slammed the door in our faces by going radio silent.

Maybe his silece is a stipulation on negotiation. Maybe his silence is a way to try and save face. Who knows? And that's the problem, we haven't heard anything new from the horses mouth.

It has to be Keenan Allen or DeAndre Hopkins, they are NFL ready, plug and play, i don't really think there is much difference between this two guys, both are good and can become great.

Allen is a bit taller and is expected to run a little faster, but you know.. marginal diference.

The thing is..at #24 one is probably for the colts, i hope the viks take Austin with one of their picks, so one of this guys is for us and the other will go to the Texans, so we'll see them both play up close.

STL will take a WR too I believe and maybe even CAR

The only reason to belive that this mystery reciever deal is dead is because Irsay has not been tweeting rapidly like he was when this all started.

Honestly, its not about who we make a deal for or even if we make a deal anymore. It's about knowing. Maybe we are in wait it out mode, maybe we arent. The fans want to know. Irsay let us in with his tweets and since then has sort of slammed the door in our faces by going radio silent.

Maybe his silece is a stipulation on negotiation. Maybe his silence is a way to try and save face. Who knows? And that's the problem, we haven't heard anything new from the horses mouth.

This is almost exactly what happened with Davis last year.  Irsay announced trade winds are blowing and a few other tweets then it got really quiet and everyone assumed it was dead and then Irsay said something like not dead trade talks are still happening it just takes time to make a deal and then a couple of days later Davis was a Colt. 

I think he's quiet for two reasons:

No new news to report

They got blindsided with and busy with Hasselbeck yesterday.

STL will take a WR too I believe and maybe even CAR

True, but Patterson is said to be the best WR, 1-10 no one will take him, 11-20, maybe 16 Rams, if he's at 17 Pitt will take him after losing Wallace, then starts Allen market, 22 Rams (if they take Patterson don't think so) and 23 Vikes (and they maybe consider Austin a better weapon and recently signed Jennings, so Austin is a better option for them IMO)

So, Hopkins is gonna be there, Allen is better, but no that far off.

True, but Patterson is said to be the best WR, 1-10 no one will take him, 11-20, maybe 16 Rams, if he's at 17 Pitt will take him after losing Wallace, then starts Allen market, 22 Rams (if they take Patterson don't think so) and 23 Vikes (and they maybe consider Austin a better weapon and recently signed Jennings, so Austin is a better option for them IMO)

So, Hopkins is gonna be there, Allen is better, but no that far off.

I think someone will fall to us I don't think PIT will take one they need help on defense so with other needs popping up on teams it will really help us for a WR if we go that direction

I think someone will fall to us I don't think PIT will take one they need help on defense so with other needs popping up on teams it will really help us for a WR if we go that direction

Agreed! they always attack defense first and tend to find WRs in the later rounds like M.Wallace so I only see the Rams and Vikings taking WR before us.

I haven't been on this thread since yesterday afternoon, so I don't know where everybody is at with this whole situation, but....

I am hoping that whatever deal that was in the works has fallen through... all of the targets that I would have liked to have seen come to Indy have been shown not to be the target... I hope that Grigs isn't trying to piece together a deal to save face... no need

I'd rather get Keenan Allen, Hopkins, or Woods (yes, Woods) in the first for cheap than sign a retread... If there are any possible targets out there that could change my mind, I'm not sure who they could be... I'm not worried about the cap... there are guys that get paid big bucks to deal with that... I just want a balanced and talented team filled with players that want to win... I can't think of anybody that we could sign that would be worth negotiating for a week or more with... It ain't Fitz, It ain't Cruz, It ain't Baldwin... B. Lloyd isn't worth a week of our time... just get a rookie and let him grow behind "Mr. Consistency"... we will be fine without all of this drama..

not that it wasn't fun for a minute or two....

btw... Hasselback signing was a good one... not that I expect Luck to miss games, but if he does have to sit out a game or two during a playoff push, we couldn't leave that up to Harnish, no matter how much many of us (including me) think that he is much better than his draft position would indicate...

I haven't been on this thread since yesterday afternoon, so I don't know where everybody is at with this whole situation, but....

I am hoping that whatever deal that was in the works has fallen through... all of the targets that I would have liked to have seen come to Indy have been shown not to be the target... I hope that Grigs isn't trying to piece together a deal to save face... no need

I'd rather get Keenan Allen, Hopkins, or Woods (yes, Woods) in the first for cheap than sign a retread... If there are any possible targets out there that could change my mind, I'm not sure who they could be... I'm not worried about the cap... there are guys that get paid big bucks to deal with that... I just want a balanced and talented team filled with players that want to win... I can't think of anybody that we could sign that would be worth negotiating for a week or more with... It ain't Fitz, It ain't Cruz, It ain't Baldwin... B. Lloyd isn't worth a week of our time... just get a rookie and let him grow behind "Mr. Consistency"... we will be fine without all of this drama..

not that it wasn't fun for a minute or two....

btw... Hasselback signing was a good one... not that I expect Luck to miss games, but if he does have to sit out a game or two during a playoff push, we couldn't leave that up to Harnish, no matter how much many of us (including me) think that he is much better than his draft position would indicate...

the one receiver i really would still be ok with is D. Alexander. He is 24, 6'5 and could be a great weapon is he is able to stay healthy. If its not him i really hope we just go ahead and draft one.Plus i forgot to say that SD gave him his original tender and since he was undrafted we wouldn't have to give up any compensation. Best case scenario would be that we get him and use our 1st overall draft pick on a pash rusher like Datone Jones or Damontre Moore who could fall to us because of his combine.

the one receiver i really would still be ok with is D. Alexander. He is 24, 6'5 and could be a great weapon is he is able to stay healthy. If its not him i really hope we just go ahead and draft one.Plus i forgot to say that SD gave him his original tender and since he was undrafted we wouldn't have to give up any compensation. Best case scenario would be that we get him and use our 1st overall draft pick on a pash rusher like Datone Jones or Damontre Moore who could fall to us because of his combine.

I agree about DX he wouldn't cost a pick and if healthy we get an amazing WR

CIN has good young WR have way more important needs BUF might take geno jets will prolly go defense Min yes but most likely tavon so I don't really care about them

CIN is in dier need of a #2 to take pressure of Green, I think Geno wont pass Arizona therefore BUF, and MIN is looking for a deep threat like Justin Hunter, I wish Irsay had not tweeted about getting a WR because if we are going to draft on MIN might steal the Best WR avalable and take Defense at 25

WR is a need. However we still have needs at OG, OLB, and MLB. I have loved the beef we have added up front on defense though. Last I heard this deal was in the players hands and waiting for an answer....but that was like 20 pages ago....so I haven't a clue whats going on. 

CIN is in dier need of a #2 to take pressure of Green, I think Geno wont pass Arizona therefore BUF, and MIN is looking for a deep threat like Justin Hunter, I wish Irsay had not tweeted about getting a WR because if we are going to draft on MIN might steal the Best WR avalable and take Defense at 25

From wat I understand CIN really like Sanu and I think Arians is wanting to give Stanton a shot at QB so BUF could get geno but MIN just got Jennings and plus tavon is more like a Percy harvin type player too I'm just hoping someone will fall to us I like Hunter

That's what I'm saying.  A small market team has that small window to make it to the championship.  They have the first 3 years of the star's rookie contract and then the 4 years after they match the offer.  After that, they better hope that star doesn't jet and most of the time they do.  It's every rare the star even signs an extension.  But no, the salaries of the Heat and Pacers are VERY different, the Pacers JUST got up into the cap because of the Hibbert contract.  The Heat have been over the cap ever since the big 3 came on.

And TBH, SA has done so well because they have been blessed with the best GM, one of the best coaches in history, a superstar in TD, and great allstars in Gino and TP.  OKC got lucky with Durant and Westbrook.

And the NBA is built so that the "good" teams stay at the top.  Most of the time, the good teams are the ones that spend the most money.  It's only a few team that are good and don't spend much money, but like I said, they are fortunate to have a good foundation.

See the NFL cancelled that all out with the Hard Cap.  It's all on the player if they get endorsements or not.  Like Polamalu, he plays in freaking Pittsburgh and had an endorsement with Head and Shoulders (or was it Old Spice?).  It doesn't matter what city you play in.  Also, the NFL has a very good system with TV deals where it doesn't really which city/team you play with, you will get some type of exposure.  In the NBA, it's the complete opposite.  Big market teams get all the TV shine, all of the endorsements, etc.  Only way you can get money in a small market is if the team is good, and we all know that will only last for so long.  Trust me, OKC will soon feel the heat of the Luxury Tax and will have to let either Westbrook or Durant go.  The first victim was James HArden.  If it was a big market team in that situation, they would have resigned Harden and went into the luxury tax with no worry.

Actually OKC choose to let Harden go but got a good trade out of it. They paid Obaka a huge contract (not smart) so that was their fault. It is entirely on the team to manage their cap. NY is a monster city/market and they suck at it...Miami really isn't that giant a market...they just landed a young popular star (Wade) hired a great GM (Reilly) and convinced Labron and Bosh to take less money. There are several other teams spending more money that have nothing to show for it. (Brooklyn)  The cap works somewhat...Mark Cuban has TONS of money and you don't see him just buying every good player. That league has issue. The good stay on top because its a star driven league. Lebron is by far the best player in the league....he was going to the Championship with no one on his team in Clev....LA has a great GM....Boston runs a great ship....these teams stay at the top because yes they have money...but most importantly they use it the best. LA drafted Bynum...traded for Gasol....kept Kobe instead of Shaq....turned Bynum a guy whose had 8 surgeries on his knee and hates to play and traded for the best center in basketball D Howard. Picked up Nash for a trade exception...got the most out of Oden then shipped him out...they just run their ship better. Tons of teams are over the cap...they just run it better, as do Boston and recently Miami. Indy has made terrible deals in the past but its been these small trades and draft picks like West, George, Hibbert that have them contenders. You have to play smart. Lock up your good guys to contracts and they will attract FAs. The big markets have advantages but it isn't money...its how they run their organizations and manage their cap. NY has the biggest market of all and they poo it away...there are no guarantees. Its got faults....but Baseball is the worst by far.

WR is a need. However we still have needs at OG, OLB, and MLB. I have loved the beef we have added up front on defense though. Last I heard this deal was in the players hands and waiting for an answer....but that was like 20 pages ago....so I haven't a clue whats going on.

We signed Francis & now Franklin. Our front just got a little more beefy