Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I like T Y, but it's going to be a good WR available rnd 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely doubt we go WR first round, and unfortunately, Cooper and Warmack and highly unlikely to be available to us. I doubt we trade up as well given our limited draft picks.

I think OLB or DE is definitely are most likely place to go in the first round.

I would imagine we go WR in FA or later in the draft.

Vikings wont let Tavon Austin get to us, Cordarelle Patterson wont last till 24 either. I could see us go after DeAndre Hopkins but he might be there if we trade down, IMO but he is the big bodied Roddy White type wideout we could use for our WCO.

Maybe Grigson pulls a Polian like move when we traded back and still got Reggie Wayne in 2001.

I am still thinking OLB or DL will be our first pick unless a good OL drops to us.

Because the CB is the least important position in a 3/4 Defense...and we have bigger needs on our Defense AND our Offensive line.

A cb in a system that seems to play a lot of man is very important. What games were you watching last yr? Vaughn was torched all yr.

You'll understand if I do not care to have this conversation AGAIN with someone who does not know what they're talking about and is not humble enough to acknowledge it.

Yes, I understand you not wanting to talk to yourself.

You're out of your mind.

1. If Cooper is available we take him.

2. If Rhodes is available we take him.

3. If neither of those I think we should go after bpa at de.

If we sign Landry then we can go OLB in the 3rd. If not SS. Then BPA at needs.

This is just my opinion.

I had thought about him and potentially DHB if he doesn't expect a ton of cash

I don't want DHB. To many drops. Avery would be just as good and probably cheaper and knows the system. Barden is a different style wr as well. A big, physical, yards after catch guy. We have decent speed guys now I think.

I don't want DHB. To many drops. Avery would be just as good and probably cheaper and knows the system. Barden is a different style wr as well. A big, physical, yards after catch guy. We have decent speed guys now I think.

Can you expand?  We're running a different system this year.

WR would be ridiculous in round 1?  For reals?

Lemme do the math here:

1 - Reggie Wayne - 34 years old?

2 - TY Hilton - Solid speed guy, but a small frame.  Durability COULD be a an issue at some point if he takes some licks.

3 - Lavon Brazil - Very limited experience, but has shown some flashes.

4 - Avery - GONE

5 - Whalen?  - No experience, practice squad player.  Nothing here screams that he'd be the answer for us, though he certainly could be.

So all those points made, what makes our WR group un-upgradeable?  Our best receiver is nearing retirement age.  He is still very good, and we could still have him for a while, but the fact remains, our biggest up and comer is TY, and the remaining guys we had are either gone or complete unknowns.

If we have a chance to grab a solid guy in round one that happens to be the BPA on our board, taking him would make absolute sense.  That'd mean that, in 2-3 years, we could have a starting receiving corps of TY, <1st round pick guy>, and Brazil/Whalen in the slot.  We've added some good talent to our line via FA, so receiver, to me, is one of the things that makes the most sense.

EDIT:  Just to expand, Bucky Brooks has Robert Woods going 27 to the Texans.  Many have thought highly of him on this board.  So, Robert Woods, Hilton, and Whalen in the slot?  We have to face the fact that our WR position is in need of another young guy with talent.  Woods would be there, and give Luck another excellent option.

We do need a WR no doubt.. I have a feeling they wait for the later rounds to get one though since the real "big name" guys are gonna be gone before us or not really a fit anyways.  

Thoughts on letting Landry and Pollard slip away for Free Agency and possibly taking Matt Elam with our #1 pick?  Hard hitting, run stopping SS that durability has never been a question with.  I think he could improve our DB's for a lot cheaper than the veteran options.

Lemme do the math here:

2 - TY Hilton - Solid speed guy, but a small frame.  Durability COULD be a an issue at some point if he takes some licks.

4 - Avery - GONE

5 - Whalen?  - No experience, practice squad player.  Nothing here screams that he'd be the answer for us, though he certainly could be.

So all those points made, what makes our WR group un-upgradeable?  Our best receiver is nearing retirement age.  He is still very good, and we could still have him for a while, but the fact remains, our biggest up and comer is TY, and the remaining guys we had are either gone or complete unknowns.

If we have a chance to grab a solid guy in round one that happens to be the BPA on our board, taking him would make absolute sense.  That'd mean that, in 2-3 years, we could have a starting receiving corps of TY, <1st round pick guy>, and Brazil/Whalen in the slot.  We've added some good talent to our line via FA, so receiver, to me, is one of the things that makes the most sense.

EDIT:  Just to expand, Bucky Brooks has Robert Woods going 27 to the Texans.  Many have thought highly of him on this board.  So, Robert Woods, Hilton, and Whalen in the slot?  We have to face the fact that our WR position is in need of another young guy with talent.  Woods would be there, and give Luck another excellent option.

I don't completely disagree, but the real question is: where would you get your best value this year? Based on the Colts play last season, between a Robert Woods or an elite offensive guard, DE, or CB, I'd rank the WR spot dead last.

You have to upgrade the WR spot at some point, it really doesn't have to be this year. You can live with the current WR corp for another year. I think next year is the time to draft a WR.

Lemme do the math here:

4 - Avery - GONE

I'm not questioning the need for a WR, but I think you may be neglecting the notion of most of the most respected draft gurus that this is not a very strong WR class at that top end, and there is value in the later rounds.

I see us grabbing one in FA (despite the limited outside options) or round 3/4 in the draft.

I just don't see BPA being a WR at #24.

I don't completely disagree, but the real question is: where would you get your best value this year? Based on the Colts play last season, between a Robert Woods or an elite offensive guard, DE, or CB, I'd rank the WR spot dead last.

You have to upgrade the WR spot at some point, it really doesn't have to be this year. You can live with the current WR corp for another year. I think next year is the time to draft a WR.

I may be mistaken, but at this point, we've signed two upgrades to the line in Cherilus and Thomas.  That leaves C and the remaining G as spots that could stand to be upgraded.  However, we also now likely have a G who has been displaced, which leaves a competition for the other spot between our two starters from this season.  One of them will have surely improved enough to be considered a good option for this year.

Now, the WR position has one guy who has clearly climbed this year in TY Hilton.  We clearly know that Reggie is on the other end.  And we don't have much to go on with Brazil and Whalen.  We could definitely use a new guy to replace Avery, even potentially as the #2 opposite Wayne while leaving Hilton fresh to use for a handful of big plays in every game.  I don't see Hilton as a good run blocker, especially based on his size.  We could find a guy like Woods or Patton (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250) who they suggest compares to our own Reggie Wayne.  If Luck has a Reggie-clone for the next 10 years, I think it'd be safe to say that he should have some solid progress over his career.

I dunno, as of now, we have a new G that can most likely replace one of our current Gs.  That leaves those two to fight for the remaining spot, which means a competition.  We didn't have that last year, so I see that as a bonus.  (not sure if our old guys are still under contract, but that's the idea I am going on)

I'm not questioning the need for a WR, but I think you may be neglecting the notion of most of the most respected draft gurus that this is not a very strong WR class at that top end, and there is value in the later rounds.

I see us grabbing one in FA (despite the limited outside options) or round 3/4 in the draft.

I just don't see BPA being a WR at #24.

While it isn't strong, we're sitting at #24.  There is no Calvin Johnson type prospect, and there are a handful of good receivers in this draft.  There are plenty of other positions that are going to push some capable young receivers down to us.

Further, we've signed a heckuva lot of FA in positions of need.  Walden they seem to be high on (given the contract), so OLB is most likely out the window.  They signed a G and T, and while we still could stand upgrading a C and (remaining) G, we also have guys from last season to fight out those remaining spots.  We have two solid TEs, and capable strong RB.

About the only positions I am seeing as a need are SS, DE, and WR.  We've been linked to Landry at SS, and Pollard was released recently who played under Pagano, so this is a void that can be filled via FA.  DE, to me, is the only other problem area.  Could happen, could not.  But they were high on Fili, we have Redding, and we have some other acquisitions that contributed last year.  I'd say we have more to work with at DE than we do at WR.  And, given you generally play 2 DE and (on most occasions) 3 WR, I'd say we need better depth at WR.

Just my 5 cents (I wrote too much, so 2 cents won't cover it).

While it isn't strong, we're sitting at #24.  There is no Calvin Johnson type prospect, and there are a handful of good receivers in this draft.  There are plenty of other positions that are going to push some capable young receivers down to us.

Further, we've signed a heckuva lot of FA in positions of need.  Walden they seem to be high on (given the contract), so OLB is most likely out the window.  They signed a G and T, and while we still could stand upgrading a C and (remaining) G, we also have guys from last season to fight out those remaining spots.  We have two solid TEs, and capable strong RB.

About the only positions I am seeing as a need are SS, DE, and WR.  We've been linked to Landry at SS, and Pollard was released recently who played under Pagano, so this is a void that can be filled via FA.  DE, to me, is the only other problem area.  Could happen, could not.  But they were high on Fili, we have Redding, and we have some other acquisitions that contributed last year.  I'd say we have more to work with at DE than we do at WR.  And, given you generally play 2 DE and (on most occasions) 3 WR, I'd say we need better depth at WR.

Just my 5 cents (I wrote too much, so 2 cents won't cover it).

The thing is, outside maybe Patterson and Allen, there aren't any WRs near the top 24 (Austin is a slot guy and I don't see us going down that route for obvious reasons). I genuinely believe a serious value guy will fall to us.

I disagree with OLB though, I think if a good pass-rushing OLB falls to us and he is indeed BPA we will pull the trigger.

For me it's DE or OLB.

I don't see how that's a slight against Hilton or even Wayne. Plus we have room for another WR and almost all of the big priorities are signed. Actually WR is a priority now with Avery being cut, which wasn't a surprise.