Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson said it best.

Dark Superman

When you evaluate talent you need to find that balance between young players and veterans you add to your squad.

We added our fair share of young talent just in the 2012 Draft alone.. But adding guys like Redding definitely helped motivate the younger players and the veterans. Hopefully McKinnie and Moala can return in Colts blue as well.

I believe Grigson will do whatever it takes to upgrade key positions whether he adds a well known skilled players or a guy not well known but who has hidden potential.. If Grigs and Chuck want someone they'll be aggressive to pursue that player and bring him to Indy.

Absolutely love his passion for the game and this team..

I'm sure he will bring us another ring once we build the monster!

How sure are we that Pagano is a good head coach? Just asking

I think Pags is good. He seemed able to inspire his men, even before the cancer. That to me is the biggest part of being a head coach, getting your players to buy in. Yes, BA deserves a tremendous amount of credit, but make no mistake about it, these players were playing for Chuck

I'm not that sure. He's still something of an unknown commodity in my book. I like his style, he has a great personality, he's been a motivational figure for the team even before he got sick. But I have questions about him as well. I think he's too conservative overall, especially on 4th down decisions. I think he and Arians were a good match, kind of countered each other.

But the primary concern most of us had about Pagano is that he had very little experience as a coordinator and with game management, and that still hasn't changed. In that regard, Arians is now more experienced than Pagano is. I believe in Pagano; I always liked the hire. But there are still unanswered questions.

I wished Indy somehow could have hired Arians instead of Pagano, but that would have been a huge scandal imo, like beating a sick horse, and that's coming from a guy like me who put a ton of time into his Pagano signature :D.

I don't feel reassured about having a recently Leukemia stricken coach who can't remember his player's names (ie. Vontae Leach?), does not know offense (thank god for our OC Stanford hire), and who's to say his Leukemia wont come back? Head coaching is one of the most demanding jobs in the world with long hours and little sleep. I hope Pagano knows what he's doing, because the last guy who knew coaching is now gone.

I wished Indy somehow could have hired Arians instead of Pagano, but that would have been a huge scandal imo, like beating a sick horse, and that's coming from a guy like me who put a ton of time into his Pagano signature :D.

I don't feel reassured about having a recently Leukemia stricken coach who can't remember his player's names (ie. Vontae Leach?), does not know offense (thank god for our OC Stanford hire), and who's to say his Leukemia wont come back? Head coaching is one of the most demanding jobs in the world with long hours and little sleep. I hope Pagano knows what he's doing, because the last guy who knew coaching is now gone.

I feel confident that the entire organization has no clue what they're doing. There is absolutely everything to worry about, so I wouldn't worry about it. They probabaly all know more about NASCAR than anything.

I'm not that sure. He's still something of an unknown commodity in my book. I like his style, he has a great personality, he's been a motivational figure for the team even before he got sick. But I have questions about him as well. I think he's too conservative overall, especially on 4th down decisions. I think he and Arians were a good match, kind of countered each other.

But the primary concern most of us had about Pagano is that he had very little experience as a coordinator and with game management, and that still hasn't changed. In that regard, Arians is now more experienced than Pagano is. I believe in Pagano; I always liked the hire. But there are still unanswered questions.

I think this is a very, very fair point of view....

That said....    John Harbaugh has never been an offensive, or defensive coordinator.    Just special teams.

What he is though, is a leader of men.   And a darn good one.    And that's the role I see Pagano in.    A great leader who, along with the GM,  establishes the personality of the team.......   as Grigson wrote in his notes when he interviewed Pagano for the job,  "players will run through a wall for this guy...."

That's the type of team we had....    that's the type of team I expect....

I expect Pagano to be a very good HC,   but one that will still need good coordinators.    Which is one reason why I'm going to be very, very Missouri on Pep Hamilton.   He's going to have to show me....

We don't know everything yet. A lot of what a Head coach is about is building your teams' philosophy which includes what kind of schemes we want to run on either side of the ball. When a interim head coach comes in, what really changes? The team is still going to follow the schemes and philosophy of the head coach. Last season Arians did all of the offensive play-calling  even before Pagano became ill. I can only assume it will be the same with Pep. So what left is there to judge on, how well he can throw a challenge flag? How well he can gamble on 3-and-1's? The philosophy of the team last year was a shared vision of him and the organization. If we have a disappointing season, how does someone go about saying we were only good this past season because Arians was a better headcoach? He was only leading a team that was following a system that was set in place before he became the interim coach.

:facepalm:   

I think this is a very, very fair point of view....

That said....    John Harbaugh has never been an offensive, or defensive coordinator.    Just special teams.

What he is though, is a leader of men.   And a darn good one.    And that's the role I see Pagano in.    A great leader who, along with the GM,  establishes the personality of the team.......   as Grigson wrote in his notes when he interviewed Pagano for the job,  "players will run through a wall for this guy...."

That's the type of team we had....    that's the type of team I expect....

I expect Pagano to be a very good HC,   but one that will still need good coordinators.    Which is one reason why I'm going to be very, very Missouri on Pep Hamilton.   He's going to have to show me....

It's true about Harbaugh, but it's still a red flag of mine. Guys like Mike Singletary and Jim Caldwell who struggled with game management were never coordinators, never had to worry about situational football and big decision making. Then there's guys like Andy Reid, long-time coordinators, who still struggle with game management. It's not a sure-thing correlation, but it does give me reason for pause.

And in the five games we got from Pagano, he wasn't stellar in his game management. We handled the clock well, challenged well, used timeouts well. But I think he's overly conservative in favorable fourth down situations. Maybe a minor complaint...

Either way, I'm sold on Pagano as a coach and a motivator. But he hasn't really proven himself as a head coach. He's only had five games.

I feel confident that the entire organization has no clue what they're doing. There is absolutely everything to worry about, so I wouldn't worry about it. They probabaly all know more about NASCAR than anything.

Easy now...I resemble that remark :)   haha

Have my NASCAR thread a rollin........ :popcorn:

I want to see Pags in action when we actually have a top notch defense.  Here's to hoping that happens soon!!!  :cheers:  :cheers:

As NewColtsfan says above:

What he is" though, is a leader of men.   And a darn good one.    And that's the role I see Pagano in.    A great leader who, along with the GM,  establishes the personality of the team.......   as Grigson wrote in his notes when he interviewed Pagano for the job,  "players will run through a wall for this guy...."  This is HUGE in my book!  Players want to PLAY for Pags!!!

I feel that he will need a good OC, but the defense and Special Teams will have his imprints all over them!!  

As I say....All 3 Phases of the game are needed to win...he is an expert in 2 of the three......if he has been in football since diapers...he has to know a little offense too...Ya think?   ;)

haha, I have no probs with racing actually though I can't get into it. I know they've been talking a lot about Danica recently though lol.

It is not for everyone...I grew up at the dirt tracks of central and Southern Indiana.....a lot of memories with Pops...:)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

It is not for everyone...I grew up at the dirt tracks of central and Southern Indiana.....a lot of memories with Pops...:)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I remember wrecking a dirt bike on train tracks, then I fell into a hole. That wasnt fun fortunately I got lucky and came out unscathed.

I jumped off of a railroad tressel/trestle(Not Jim :)) when a train was coming....is that similar.....?  C R A Z Y!!!!

I rode a train once.... does that count for anything??

I lied.... I have never rode a train :(

Dear God he miss spoke it happens to everyone at some point. I know it's the off-season but do we really have to try to turn everything into a big deal?

BTW Dungy didn't coach offense either and had a defensive background and I think that turned out just fine. If we had Arains right now you could just as easily say he doesn't know defense. Have some faith in the GM of the Year in Grigson and our owner whose teams have missed the playoffs a total of four times since he took over in 1995 more or less. They know whst they are dong and if Pagano couldn't do the job he wouldn't be here. This is the guy who cut Peyton Manning he would have no issue dumping a coach if he wasn't the right man for the job.

Pagano was still the head coach of the team last year. His leadership started that turn around and the fact the team bought in so quickly to him speaks volume about his leadership skills. That's the most important thing you want in a head coach as well because the OC and DC do most of the game planning with input from the other coaches but their main jobs are develop the specific game plans and call the plays. So as long as Pagano has a good OC the fact he has no offensive background won't matter. As for last year make no mistake just because Pagano wasn't on the sidelines most of the year doesn't mean he wasn't coaching the team. Players and coaches talked at length about how he would call them and coach from his hospital bed. Yes Arains handled the bulk of the duties last year but don't under sell Pagsno's involvement.

If the cancer comes back then we cross that bridge when we get there but they would do what they did last year hand the job over to someone on an interim bases and right now that person would probably be Greg Manusky and go from there.

Look Pagano won't be perfect. No coach is. People found things to complain about Arains last year. With that said I see no reason to start questioning if Pagano can do the job or not till he gives us one. Till they start the year 1-5 or something I don't think we need to panic about Pagano.

It's true about Harbaugh, but it's still a red flag of mine. Guys like Mike Singletary and Jim Caldwell who struggled with game management were never coordinators, never had to worry about situational football and big decision making. Then there's guys like Andy Reid, long-time coordinators, who still struggle with game management. It's not a sure-thing correlation, but it does give me reason for pause.

And in the five games we got from Pagano, he wasn't stellar in his game management. We handled the clock well, challenged well, used timeouts well. But I think he's overly conservative in favorable fourth down situations. Maybe a minor complaint...

Either way, I'm sold on Pagano as a coach and a motivator. But he hasn't really proven himself as a head coach. He's only had five games.

I don't think any coach could prove himself as good HC in five games.

Just my 2 cents.

And what happens is Grigs doesn't make the best decisions? I bet a bunch of you will leave. See the broncos on the way out.

been a colts fan since I was old enough to know what football was and a 1-15 season didn't drive me off. I've seen the Colts make mistakes before and I am sure they will again. That's part of being a fan sticking with the team threw hard times is what makes the good times so sweet. I happen to like Grigson and think he has/will do a good job but if he doesn't I am not leaving. Not everyone is a fair weather fan just because they like Grigson.

Edited by Superman