Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

i just thought of something

CR91

And you seem to be on a Blame the QB binge. Danged if you do, danged if you dont. But dont put any blame on the other HALF of the team..

oh no the defense had a bad game that I agree, but this is typical peyton. he struggles in the playoffs.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at all of peyton's losses in the playoff, the teams he lost to a lot of them when on to win the super bowl or got really close. 2007 chargers and 2010 jets made the afc championship game 1999 titans made the super bowl, 2003 2004 patriots won the super bowl. 2005 steelers won the super bowl. 2009 saints won the super bowl. 2012 ravens won the super bowl. does knowing this change the idea that peyton chokes in the playoffs

Admit it your a PATS FAN

Well when you get a first a round bye and then lose like he did in many of those games it increases the odds that the team you lose to is going to go far in the playoffs. 

With that said I think the idea that Peyton chokes and is the ONLY person who needs to be blamed for a playoff loss is too harsh but I also think the people want to give him zero blame in the playoff loses and go out their way to invent excuses for him are also wrong.

It's safe to say Peyton doesn't always play his best football in the playoffs but in a lot of those games he played well enough for his team to win the team just didn't get the job done and while Peyton needs to shoulder his share of the weight he doesn't need all of it like some try to give him.

im not letting the defense off the hook. yes they struggled, but at the end of the day peyton had numerous chances to win the game. he had a whole OT to win.

No, it was all the defense. Peyton Manning did nothing to contribute to the team losing. It was everyone else but him. It was even Holliday's fault. How dare you suggest that Manning played a part in them losing, which he completely didn't.

rotflmao

No, it was all the defense. Peyton Manning did nothing to contribute to the team losing. It was everyone else but him. It was even Holliday's fault. How dare you suggest that Manning played a part in them losing, which he completely didn't.

rotflmao

There is a difference between sarcasm and out right calling Manning a choker in the playoffs. We are making a point he is not. How is that stating he played perfect? Please explain.

looking at all of peyton's losses in the playoff, the teams he lost to a lot of them when on to win the super bowl or got really close. 2007 chargers and 2010 jets made the afc championship game 1999 titans made the super bowl, 2003 2004 patriots won the super bowl. 2005 steelers won the super bowl. 2009 saints won the super bowl. 2012 ravens won the super bowl. does knowing this change the idea that peyton chokes in the playoffs

I wouldn't call him a choker , I would say that he porbably just hasn't been the best big game QB the game has ever known. I belive other than 2006 , he never was on a championship team. Never in high school. Never beat Florida in 4 attempts. Even in 2006 , he was good but certainly didn't carry the team in those playoff games. No question he's an all time great QB but I think there have been guys that perform a bit better in the bigger stage. I mean you just can't ignore 9-11. I guess you can say it's a team thing but maybe he has to take a little bit of the blame ? Are there certain guys in the NBA that were better at taking that last shot ? If yes , you have to at least listen to the agrument that guys like Montana performed better than Manning in Jan-Feb.

There is a difference between sarcasm and out right calling Manning a choker in the playoffs. We are making a point he is not. How is that stating he played perfect? Please explain.

I was exaggerating. I'm not saying you guys are saying he played perfect, I was merely poking fun at the ever present argument that no matter what circumstance or even team, it always seems to be either on the receiver, the fumble, the defense, any player that is not 18. The defense didn't play well but PM did not rise to the challenge either. It's not all the defense's fault. Is Manning a choker? Depends on the definition of the word, I suppose.

Will this never go away......

I have found some of the Play-off loses hard to swallow, but not sure if choking is the correct term. I seem to recall him performing in spectacular fashion in many PO games. Some seem to forget that.

He has been let down by a plethora of poor calls, poor defense, and a shocking inability to seal games when one final stop or run would have sealed the deal. But he has also had his share of errors. We all know what they were.

And do you know what? Who really cares. As time passes, we should remember those golden moments, rather than dwell on the bad. And think of the teams and players who would actually crave the opportunity to get to the play-offs so regularly, never mind having the opportunity to 'choke' in them. 

No, it was all the defense. Peyton Manning did nothing to contribute to the team losing. It was everyone else but him. It was even Holliday's fault. How dare you suggest that Manning played a part in them losing, which he completely didn't.

rotflmao

I was exaggerating. I'm not saying you guys are saying he played perfect, I was merely poking fun at the ever present argument that no matter what circumstance or even team, it always seems to be either on the receiver, the fumble, the defense, any player that is not 18. The defense didn't play well but PM did not rise to the challenge either. It's not all the defense's fault. Is Manning a choker? Depends on the definition of the word, I suppose.

I get what you are saying. Peyton tends to get a pardon in all his Playoffs loses in 1 way or another. It really hit me in the loss to the Ravens Championship QBs are supposed to rise up & overcome obstacles. Steelers, Jets, Chargers, Patriots,...Peyton has got to find a way to close the deal in December. Championship QBs are expected to win Championships. No more excuses...

I get what you are saying. Peyton tends to get a pardon in all his Playoffs loses in 1 way or another. It really hit me in the loss to the Ravens Championship QBs are supposed to rise up & overcome obstacles. Steelers, Jets, Chargers, Patriots,...Peyton has got to find a way to close the deal in December. Championship QBs are expected to win Championships. No more excuses...

And who would have thought that it would be the Ravens of all teams this year...let's see how he fares in the next three years. If he can win at least one SB in Denver, I think that would be a big success for him and his legacy.

Manning will go down as the biggest post-season failure in the history of sports. You can try to massage all his 11 playoff losses anyway you want but the fact is the guy has just never come through. It is amazing to think that he is not routinely called the best REGULAR season QB because of his abject failures in the post-season. BTW, every single one of his post-season losses came with his team being the favorite to win. Mind boggling.

Manning will go down as the biggest post-season failure in the history of sports. You can try to massage all his 11 playoff losses anyway you want but the fact is the guy has just never come through. It is amazing to think that he is not routinely called the best REGULAR season QB because of his abject failures in the post-season. BTW, every single one of his post-season losses came with his team being the favorite to win. Mind boggling.

What about the PO games he won? Are you going to thrill us with your acumen on those? I cannot wait.....

cant really use that excuse that polian didnt help peyton now because he had one of the best lines, top talent at the skill position and a top 10 defense in denver and still went one and done

Yes.....but he and the Broncos lost to a Baltimore team that is very stout in the trenches and physically takes it to their opponents at literally every level. I do NOT like the Baltimore Ravens....but they deserve credit for doing that. The concept of physically breaking down the opponent just can't be ignored...especially when games are so close, as is often the case in the playoffs.

And for all of his player personnel accolades....Bill Polian either never got that concept or simply chose to achieve success the "other" way. You can have success focusing on more of a finesse approach.....but winning Super Bowl rings are another matter.

But setting the team and surrounding cast elements aside....Peyton has struggled and faltered at key junctures of playoff games. He just has.

Whatever he conjured up in the famous AFCCG comeback win against New England was unfortunately a rare playoff occurrence for him.  

:facepalm: ...If we are going to convict & charge Peyton Manning, in this conversation, for choking in the playoffs, then he deserves a right to have a fair trial, in consideration of that fact the he only plays offense. He is at fault, for not capitalizing on opportunities on offense, when he had the chance to do so. If scores points, who is responsible for stopping the other team from scoring, and giving his offense a chance to score again? If the defense has irritable bowels, and can stop the runs, why would you blame the QB for missing tackles, and dropping interceptions?  Looking back at the 11 playoff appearances, He & the Defense, during his time in INDY, are guilty of :ill: .. :barf:... :yuk: in the playoffs.

We can fantasize all we want, but you can't pervert or logically rationalize the idea that Peyton is totally responsible for us not having multiple :lombardi: 's, in our horse stable. If the offense scores points, the purpose of even having a defense, is so they can't stop the other team from scoring. How well they do that determines if you win or not. That is the rule, there are no pros or cons about it, nor any disagreement to be made about that. That is the game of NFL football. I realize who im talking to, and i expect the responses to more emotional, than rational. So have fun with this post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indianapolis_Colts_seasons

Somebody is still mad about the AFC Championship game. haha

Somebody is still mad about the AFC Championship game. haha

Really Manning is the biggest paradox in all of sports. He is an assassin in the regular season. Has you beat as soon as he steps to the line but in the post-season it is like he morphs into Arod. It is unbelievable to watch year after year. Even a guy like Flacco who has about as much talent as Peyton has in his pinkie finger, gives you more confidence in the post-season that he can get it done.

Really Manning is the biggest paradox in all of sports. He is an assassin in the regular season. Has you beat as soon as he steps to the line but in the post-season it is like he morphs into Arod. It is unbelievable to watch year after year. Even a guy like Flacco who has about as much talent as Peyton has in his pinkie finger, gives you more confidence in the post-season that he can get it done.

:lol:

Hey Dustin,

Just saw Woodson will be released. Now you have a built in excuse for Rodgers when he gets hammered in the playoffs again. :jump:

Welker probably won't be re-signed. Now you have an excuse as to why the greatest QB of all time couldn't score 14 at home.

Welker probably won't be re-signed. Now you have an excuse as to why the greatest QB of all time couldn't score 14 at home.

Hey, did you see this. Rodgers likes him some Tom Brady. But then again, who doesn't want to be like the g.o.a.t.?

Dissecting Tom Brady's 41 playoff TDs

January, 17, 2013

Jan 175:06AM ETBy David Fleming | ESPN The Magazine Recommend62Tweet19Comments126EmailPrint

Kurt Snibbe/ESPN.com

Behold the complete and annotated (and massive) list of Tom Brady's 41 playoff TD passes. Near the end of last season I sat down with Aaron Rodgers for a fascinating and in-depth look at the art of playing quarterback. After elevating the most dynamic and demanding position in sports to an entirely new level, Rodgers was on the verge of winning the 2011 NFL MVP Award. But consistently during our lengthy and wide-ranging conversation, one other quarterback’s name kept coming up.

This was the guy Rodgers studied and wanted to learn from. This was the quarterback Rodgers measured himself and all others by. The rest of us might be in awe of Rodgers, I kept thinking, but he’s still in awe of this guy.

Tom Brady.

Hey, did you see this. Rodgers likes him some Tom Brady. But then again, who doesn't want to be like the g.o.a.t.?

Dissecting Tom Brady's 41 playoff TDs

January, 17, 2013

Jan 175:06AM ETBy David Fleming | ESPN The Magazine Recommend62Tweet19Comments126EmailPrint

Kurt Snibbe/ESPN.com

Behold the complete and annotated (and massive) list of Tom Brady's 41 playoff TD passes. Near the end of last season I sat down with Aaron Rodgers for a fascinating and in-depth look at the art of playing quarterback. After elevating the most dynamic and demanding position in sports to an entirely new level, Rodgers was on the verge of winning the 2011 NFL MVP Award. But consistently during our lengthy and wide-ranging conversation, one other quarterback’s name kept coming up.

This was the guy Rodgers studied and wanted to learn from. This was the quarterback Rodgers measured himself and all others by. The rest of us might be in awe of Rodgers, I kept thinking, but he’s still in awe of this guy.

Tom Brady.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-04/tom-brady-ranks-peyton-manning-as-greatest-of-all-time

“To me, he’s the greatest of all time,” Brady told the NFL Network after the unveiling, referring to Manning.

“He’s a friend of mine, and someone that I always watch and admire, because he always wants to improve, he always wants to get better, and he doesn’t settle for anything less than the best. So, when you watch the best and you’re able to learn from the best, hopefully that helps me get better.”

Checkmate.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-07-04/tom-brady-ranks-peyton-manning-as-greatest-of-all-time

“To me, he’s the greatest of all time,” Brady told the NFL Network after the unveiling, referring to Manning.

“He’s a friend of mine, and someone that I always watch and admire, because he always wants to improve, he always wants to get better, and he doesn’t settle for anything less than the best. So, when you watch the best and you’re able to learn from the best, hopefully that helps me get better.”

Checkmate.

But isn't Rodgers your boy? Brady was being PC by the way. Rodgers was not.

But isn't Rodgers your boy? Brady was being PC by the way. Rodgers was not.

Just admit you lost so we can end this please. You just look silly now. Why does my quote not count? Because it proves you wrong? And yes I think that Rodgers is better than Brady and is on his way to being the best ever.