Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton and Donnie Avery led the league in dropped pass percentage.

Dustin

The thing is most of there targets were on deep ball

This stat is for catchable balls. It doesn't measure ones where say Avery dives for a catch and the ball hits the ground. It's for passes that hit the numbers or right in the hands.

This stat is for catchable balls. It doesn't measure ones where say Avery dives for a catch and the ball hits the ground. It's for passes that hit the numbers or right in the hands.

Regardless, a 40 yard over the shoulder ball that hits your hands is much more difficult than a 10 yard curl in the chest.

Regardless, a 40 yard over the shoulder ball that hits your hands is much more difficult than a 10 yard curl in the chest.

If you are a veteran NFL receiver who can't catch a back shoulder pass that hits you right in the hands then I don't want you on my team.

TY Hilton also burned Teams multiple times for TD's..... sooo who Cares????

Who cares if he drops 16% of catchable passes? Is this a serious question? I'll give him a pass because he's a rookie, but to say that this is meaningless is crazy.

If you are a professional NFL receiver who can't catch a back shoulder pass that hits you right in the hands then I don't want you on my team.
Good thing you don't get to make personnel decisions from your couch.

Good thing you don't get to make personnel decisions from your couch.

Yep, of course I don't. But anybody with eyes can see that Avery is easily the worst receiver on our team and the biggest negative on the offense other than the O-line.

Who cares if he drops 16% of catchable passes? Is this a serious question? I'll give him a pass because he's a rookie, but to say that this is meaningless is crazy.

16% then made up for them. It happens. Rookie Drops, I personally don't care for any stats at all. I care about Wins. These stats may be meaningful to some people on here, but not me.

16% then made up for them. It happens. Rookie Drops, I personally don't care for any stats at all. I care about Wins. These stats may be meaningful to some people on here, but not me.

Like I said, I give him a pass because he's a rookie. These stats weren't meant to shed a bad light on Hilton as much as they were to put into perspective Lucks low completion%.

Yep, of course I don't. But anybody with eyes can see that Avery is easily the worst receiver on our team and the biggest negative on the offense other than the O-line.

Yeah, being the second leading receiver along with leading the team in YPC and TDs is pathetic. Wish he never saw the field this year.

Like I said, I give him a pass because he's a rookie. These stats weren't meant to shed a bad light on Hilton as much as they were to put into perspective Lucks low completion%.

Well I hate the dropped pass stats because you have to look at how the pass was thrown. Yes the saying goes "You touch it, you catch it"

But everyone here knows that Luck threw some wild Passes and sometimes the WR's Bailed him out, sometimes they were dropped. And then there were beautiful passes by Luck that were Dropped.

This is why I'm sorta looking forward to this WCO Era cause I believe with the right personnel, Luck is gonna have a great Comp. % imo

Yeah, being the second leading receiver along with leading the team in YPC and TDs is pathetic. Wish he never saw the field this year.

No he was a solid contributer, but there are receivers out there in FA and in the draft that would be able to have the same production he had without all of the drops. He's one of the main reasons we lost the WC game to Baltimore. He had to have like 4 drive killing drops in that game.

No he was a solid contributer, but there are receivers out there in FA and in the draft that would be able to have the same production he had without all of the drops. He's one of the main reasons we lost the WC game to Baltimore. He had to have like 4 drive killing drops in that game.

Wait, so he was a solid contributor or the worst part of the offense another than the O-line? Can't be both.

Wait, so he was a solid contributor or the worst part of the offense another than the O-line? Can't be both.

Umm, yes it can. Out of all the skill players that played this year Wayne, Ballard, Hilton, and Allen (excluding Fleener because of injury) he played the worst.

Danny Amendola is on there under best hands. I have been thinking we should go after him in FA if we can get him for a good price. Even if receiver isn't a huge need we know all too well injuries happen.

Yep, Amendola has great hands. He should come at a reasonable price as well.

Hilton has to improve in this area this offseason... he dropped too many passes this year despite his success... I think he will improve as he and Luck get their timing down and he is more used to the speed of the game...

To be honest, those things would help Avery out as well, but his situation is different... He can't be expected to improve nearly as much as a guy going into his second year... he is a veteran FA and probably not worth any more than the vet min...

I do remember one pass in the Ravens game that was almost past him into his back shoulder that was UNCATCHABLE that people whined about. I am sure you counted that one.

Although I hate feeding trolls , the dropped pass statistic is an NFL stat. So who is the "you" that you are referring to in your usual Luck hating post ? 

Well Fleener and Allen had lot also...     

TY is a true blue game changer...     he gets deep and scores....    I can live with a drop or two.

Avery...   Who cares?  ...     I mean really?     What do TY, CF, and DA all have in common?   Oh and Brazil...  All Rookies...

I guess I'll give them a break...   

The Colts are moving fast.......       get on board or you may get left off.

A lot of people seem to be mad at me for posting some simple stats. This was simply to cast a light on Luck's low completion % this year. Nothing more than that really.

No worries, it wouldn't be much of a forum if everybody didn't have their differences of opinions.

I would like to thank you for your post.  Dropped passes was one of the most frustrating things for me this year, with the O-line play being the most.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/8810/receiving_splits.html

It all depends on where you get your stats from in my opinion, I personally dont buy into all of PFF's statistics or how they go about getting there statistics, I personally stick with SI.com and that says Avery dropped 7 passes and Hilton dropped 6 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/8810/receiving_splits.html

Avery's splits (7 drops)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/25802/receiving_splits.html

Hiltons splits (6 drops)

It all depends on where you get your stats from in my opinion, I personally dont buy into all of PFF's statistics or how they go about getting there statistics, I personally stick with SI.com and that says Avery dropped 7 passes and Hilton dropped 6 

Avery's splits (7 drops)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/25802/receiving_splits.html

Hiltons splits (6 drops)

I guess it depends on the metric each source uses for drops. Typically I only use PFF because of the in-depth calculation and statistics they use.

DW that would be Dustin who said Avery had 4 drive killing drops against the Ravens.

I know that did not happen.

I think Andrew is Amazing in most ways. Kinda makes me wanna puke tho when all these Homers here totally Ignore the stuff tha Andrew was apologizing to BA for. And sick of watching him throw behind his receivers 2/3 of the time and hearing his POOR Throws should have been caught. Especially when his ball was usually late and our guys were about set up to get clobbered.

All game Every game. He got a little sharper the last few games. Watch Kap, Flacco, Ryan, throwing all those balls on the money where their players can keep going. And Wilson! ;)

MANY of the "DROPS" by our receivers were from all those off target passes thrown behind them.

If you aren`t willing to admit that your opinion is of little value. IMO

A link for TEAM dropped passes.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

Here is a Individual dropped pass link from stats hosted solution. I wonder if their numbers come from the NFL/ match Elias?

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

also uses by the wash post.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

I guess it depends on the metric each source uses for drops. Typically I only use PFF because of the in-depth calculation and statistics they use.

Definitly understandable, what it really comes down to is our receivers dropped there fair share of passes regardless of the amount and that goes for all of them across the board veteran to rookie but Avery is expendable although he did play better then some will give him credit for even with the drops, some of the best of all time dropped alot of passes during the course of a season (Terrell Owens comes to mind)

Great SI link Gavin. Ty

That could keep one busy for awhile.

I am definitely not a believer that if a ball hits your hands it Should have been caught.

You have bodies racing down the field, getting grabbed, bumped, twisting, wind, sometimes they look back just in time to see it coming and just throw there arms/hands up as best they can and the ball is off center a few inches, maybe the spiral is not tight, and they just don`t get it. And the COUCHIES say, he Dropped it. Ya right!

Avery is expendable if they want to pay Palmer chump change and play him some this year.

Of course IMO the system calls for WR`s that can help support the run game, that is why I am certain they want to get at least 1 bigger WR in training ASAP. Kris Adams showed me NO ball skills so good luck with him. JMO

Avery is expendable if they want to pay Palmer chump change and play him some this year.

Of course IMO the system calls for WR`s that can help support the run game, that is why I am certain they want to get at least 1 bigger WR in training ASAP. Kris Adams showed me NO ball skills so good luck with him. JMO

In the beginning I had high hopes for Adams but then he quit on that route and was rarely seen again, I'd like to get a tall wr in the late rounds of the draft

Then clearly Winston Justice and Cassius Vaughn have a place on the team!!! :P

I agree with you in general though: dropped balls is a fairly awkward and subjective statistic.