Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton and Donnie Avery led the league in dropped pass percentage.

Dustin

DW that would be Dustin who said Avery had 4 drive killing drops against the Ravens.

I know that did not happen.

I think Andrew is Amazing in most ways. Kinda makes me wanna puke tho when all these Homers here totally Ignore the stuff tha Andrew was apologizing to BA for. And sick of watching him throw behind his receivers 2/3 of the time and hearing his POOR Throws should have been caught. Especially when his ball was usually late and our guys were about set up to get clobbered.

All game Every game. He got a little sharper the last few games. Watch Kap, Flacco, Ryan, throwing all those balls on the money where their players can keep going. And Wilson! ;)

MANY of the "DROPS" by our receivers were from all those off target passes thrown behind them.

If you aren`t willing to admit that your opinion is of little value. IMO

A link for TEAM dropped passes.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

Here is a Individual dropped pass link from stats hosted solution. I wonder if their numbers come from the NFL/ match Elias?

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

also uses by the wash post.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

Thse 3 QB's you mention have nice OL's and thus threw under far less duress than Luck did. I think you fail to realize that when a QB is thrown off his mark , his accuracy is greatly affected. This is why the better teams often gave Manning fits in the post season. Of coarse Luck made some bad throws this year. Now how it affects the dropped passes stat , I have no idea. However I'm sure that he isn't the only QB to throw a pass that might contribute to a drop. I guess we have a different opinion on how much of the low completion % is the fault of an arena league type O Line.

You guys should also consider the ways they made up for dropped passes for example in the Colts-Dolphins game TY Hilton dropped a 40 YD TD pass but later in the game went up to catch a crazy TD catch that was horribly trown by Andrew LUck that should have been an easy interception since there was 2 defenders where the ball was thrown, so even if Hilton had a couple of drops just look at the times he has bailed Luck out and plus look at all the big plays he has provided this Colts offense. Avery i dont specifically like him so i wont look into defending him for his dropped passes but Hilton has been a great addition to this Colts offense and I wouldnt ask him to do any more then he had in his ROOKIE season.

You guys should also consider the ways they made up for dropped passes for example in the Colts-Dolphins game TY Hilton dropped a 40 YD TD pass but later in the game went up to catch a crazy TD catch that was horribly trown by Andrew LUck that should have been an easy interception since there was 2 defenders where the ball was thrown, so even if Hilton had a couple of drops just look at the times he has bailed Luck out and plus look at all the big plays he has provided this Colts offense. Avery i dont specifically like him so i wont look into defending him for his dropped passes but Hilton has been a great addition to this Colts offense and I wouldnt ask him to do any more then he had in his ROOKIE season.
That wasn't a horrible throw at all, just risky.

A lot of people seem to be mad at me for posting some simple stats. This was simply to cast a light on Luck's low completion % this year. Nothing more than that really.

You could add in he was knocked to the ground 148 times (Peter King), which was 32% more than anyone else....

Everyone in that Offense should get a mulligan. If the drops continue into camp and quarter one, then bring down the axe harder than a Manti Te'o fall from grace.

I am not in any way defending Avery, but I think rationally it should be considered that even though a vet, this was a new system for Avery. Not to mention, with injury and his past QB's in his career does he really have vet experience to begin with. Hilton and Avery's drops were indeed very frustrating to watch. But couple essentially their relative (making up a word here) rookieness. With the length of average pass down field. I kind of have to accept a higher percentage of drops. Just to the naked eye I thought Reggie dropped more passes this year than I remember in years past. I have not checked any stats to back that up, just naked eye perception. Length of pass and new QB/system I feel had to play into some of that. just my 2 cents

I am not in any way defending Avery, but I think rationally it should be considered that even though a vet, this was a new system for Avery. Not to mention, with injury and his past QB's in his career does he really have vet experience to begin with. Hilton and Avery's drops were indeed very frustrating to watch. But couple essentially their relative (making up a word here) rookieness. With the length of average pass down field. I kind of have to accept a higher percentage of drops. Just to the naked eye I thought Reggie dropped more passes this year than I remember in years past. I have not checked any stats to back that up, just naked eye perception. Length of pass and new QB/system I feel had to play into some of that. just my 2 cents

He dropped 9 according to SI.com

Since this thread is supposedly about stats, here's a real simple one, folks:

Avery had essentially not played football for 2 whole years (1st due to injury, 2nd riding the bench in Tennessee because he hadn't fully healed yet).

The rookies supposedly get a hall pass because of their rookie-ness, but they all played full seasons the year prior, so wouldn't they logically be less rusty than someone who's been out for 2 years?

I still think Avery has a chance to be special, and as much as some of his drops drove me crazy this past season, I think he could develop some amazing chemistry with Luck. For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me to see him retained, and I'd probably be a little disappointed if the team chose to move on without him.

Since this thread is supposedly about stats, here's a real simple one, folks:

Avery had essentially not played football for 2 whole years (1st due to injury, 2nd riding the bench in Tennessee because he hadn't fully healed yet).

The rookies supposedly get a hall pass because of their rookie-ness, but they all played full seasons the year prior, so wouldn't they logically be less rusty than someone who's been out for 2 years?

I still think Avery has a chance to be special, and as much as some of his drops drove me crazy this past season, I think he could develop some amazing chemistry with Luck. For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me to see him retained, and I'd probably be a little disappointed if the team chose to move on without him.

I agree with you 100%. While Avery's drops were a source of consternation this past season, the guy has a second gear with speed that few can match. It makes much more sense to keep him around than let him go when he and Luck have begun to have chemistry and he is a lot cheaper than a guy like Mike Wallace.

He did not play well in the WC game against the Ravens due to drops, but for the most part he was pretty solid this season. Unless he wants an inordinate amount of money I feel that the Colts should bring him back and let him continue to develop with Luck. In all fairness, he has not really played all that much in his career yet due to injury. That said, I still think the Colts should try to add a bigger receiver. Like someone mentioned, a later round draft pick might be the place to do this.

If the Colts did not bring back Avery, did not sign a bigger receiver, and then signed Mike Wallace I would be disappointed. However, Mike Wallace probably isn't a worry anymore since Arians is no longer here.

you take the good with the bad, TY made some spectacular plays. As a Lions fans, I watched Calvin drop tons of good balls this season, and he still ended up with a record breaking season, so good with the bad. Avery is so so, but I expect both to continue to improve, especially TY. He has tons of potential.

Not surprised with Avery, and this was still his best season statistically. If he caught the ball 90%, he would have 1,000 yards receiving.

Hilton is a surprise because I didn't see a whole lot of drops from him, he just made more plays than Avery did. Hilton is what Avery should have been, the deep threat. Hilton just turned out to be the one that produced more.

I am indifferent about keeping Avery past this year because of the emergence of TY. But he deserves to go somewhere and get paid because he had a great season this past year.