Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cardinals hire Arians [Merge]

vinatierifan4

He better get these horrible QB's an OL or he will be fired by the end of next year.

The OL is the issue, same as Indy... but Andrew Luck's don't fall off of trees.

Exactly, why leave a franchise QB in INDY for a bargain basement replacement in the desert? Other their WR Fitzgerald...What weapons have you got? I really hate this move. Again Bruce deserves an HC gig, but not here. Win Big at INDY & your coaching stock shatters the NFL ceiling in a couple of seasons. A public disastrous relations career move. Yes, I know Andy Reid took over the Eagles in 1999 & got them to the SB in 2004, but that rarely happens. To go from rags to franchise riches...A monumental mistake IMO.

Yes, I've heard the saying any HC job is a good one, but in reality you need an owner who isn't dirt cheap & an aggressive GM with a superb scouting department. AZ doesn't offer either of those components right now.

Deal is done i believe. Bruce wanted a HC job, not a good HC job, but any HC job. Don't think Arizona's situation really mattered, it was a HC job and he got offered. His comments last week about not running off to just any job were less then truthful in my opinion.

^^Agreed^^  He made this big statement about only leaving for the "perfect fit", and if he had ended up in San Diego or Chicago I would have believed his statement was truthful.  But, the fact he took the job at Arizona shows he was "full of it" .... he was going to take any HC job he got offered. I think he probably would have even taken the Jacksonville job if circumstances had made it come down to that as the last opening.

^^Agreed^^  He made this big statement about only leaving for the "perfect fit", and if he had ended up in San Diego or Chicago I would have believed his statement was truthful.  But, the fact he took the job at Arizona shows he was "full of it" .... he was going to take any HC job he got offered. I think he probably would have even taken the Jacksonville job if circumstances had made it come down to that as the last opening.

Agreed

Okay, Arians went from Peyton Manning....to Ben Rothlisberger.....to Andrew Luck ....To ARIZONA?!  ....um Kevin Kolb....um Lindley? and I like Arians, but he better hope that his Great QB coaching had nothing to do with the fact that he's had nothing but future Hall-of-Famers so far because he's going to hit a DROUGHT in Arizona!

Preach it sultan5! QB drought...More like a blowing tumbleweed...Yikes!

Exactly, why leave a franchise QB in INDY for a bargain basement replacement in the desert? Other their WR Fitzgerald...What weapons have you got? I really hate this move. Again Bruce deserves an HC gig, but not here. Win Big at INDY & your coaching stock shatters the NFL season in a couple of seasons. A public disastrous relations career move. Yes, I know Andy Reid took over the Eagles in 1999 & got them to the SB in 2004, but that rarely happens. To go from rags to franchise riches...A monumental mistake IMO.

He's taking over a team with a VERY talented defense. Yes, he has Fitz but he's also got another very talented guy in Floyd. 2 BIG receivers who can stretch the field along with Andre Roberts. That team is really 2 OT's and a QB away from being a very good team. They can address all 3 of those fairly easily with the draft and FA. It would not surprise me to see them go OT with that first pick and Ryan Nassib(big, mobile, strong arm - Big Ben'ish) in the 2nd or 3rd if he drops that far.

That team is closer than you think.

Great for Bruce...   and I really mean it...     I am truly happy for him, as every Colt fan should.

Replacement?    Wow...   this is a BIG year for this young team.  

Indy either goes with CC...   and keep the status quo.   

OR

Indy goes with a "young" mind that will hang around for ......     a few years.

You are totally underestimating the importance of the QB position.  

Kolb?   you gonna hang your hat on that dude?  Really?

He's taking over a team with a VERY talented defense. Yes, he has Fitz but he's also got another very talented guy in Floyd. 2 BIG receivers who can stretch the field along with Andre Roberts. That team is really 2 OT's and a QB away from being a very good team. They can address all 3 of those fairly easily with the draft and FA. It would not surprise me to see them go OT with that first pick and Ryan Nassib(big, mobile, strong arm - Big Ben'ish) in the 2nd or 3rd if he drops that far.

The QB is the big part of that equation though, as many teams have found out finding a good one is not always easy ... and as another poster pointed out BAs last 3 QBs have been elite.

Ya......   I read your post...  

Pimping Nassib?   Ok...  

Bruce will be back in 2 years... ;)

Did you not read my post thoroughly? Nassib could easily be available for them in the 2nd and is a guy who would be a good fit for Arians style of offense.

I find it very difficult to call Ben elite. Good? Absolutely. Elite? I don't think so.

Even if you only consider Ben a very good QB ... thats still not easy to find.  I do not know if I would be comfortable drafting any of the QBs in the upcoming draft and feeling strongly they would be even close to as good as Ben.  Odds say there will probably be one that might end up that good, but its a crap shoot this year (a very underwhelming QB class) there are no "sure things" this year.

His comments last week about not running off to just any job were less then truthful in my opinion.

^^Agreed^^  He made this big statement about only leaving for the "perfect fit", and if he had ended up in San Diego or Chicago I would have believed his statement was truthful.  But, the fact he took the job at Arizona shows he was "full of it"

"Less than truthful" and "full of it" reminds me of that line in "Casablanca:"I'm shocked, shocked to find  that gambling is going on in here." "Here are your winning sir." Oh thank you very much." HA! HA! 

Good for BA.  Guess he really wanted to be a HC because coaching in the NFC West with the 49ers ruling, Seahawks making noise, and Rams making strides is going to be tough.

Very true.

Bruce will have a pretty solid defense...but the tricky part is the Cards parting ways with DC Ray Horton, evidently at the behest of Arians. Horton was seen as a possible replacement for Whisenhunt but was ultimately passed over for BA, and then let go in what is being described as a very unpleasant departure....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/ray-horton-angry-after-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians/

I'm happy that Arians got his HC shot since that is what he wanted and worked for....but as you said the NFC West is far from the doormat division it once was and the QB situation being a mess PLUS an otherwise good defense that just had its DC booted might make for a pretty rough ride.

Very true.

Bruce will have a pretty solid defense...but the tricky part is the Cards parting ways with DC Ray Horton, evidently at the behest of Arians. Horton was seen as a possible replacement for Whisenhunt but was ultimately passed over for BA, and then let go in what is being described as a very unpleasant departure....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/ray-horton-angry-after-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians/

I'm happy that Arians got his HC shot since that is what he wanted and worked for....but as you said the NFC West is far from the doormat division it once was and the QB situation being a mess PLUS an otherwise good defense that just had its DC booted might make for a pretty rough ride.

Yeah, I wish the best for him.  He was offered a better job somewhere else and he took it.  I'm pretty sure if any of us was offered a promotion at our careers/jobs but had to move to a different area we would take it.  Good for him.  But he has his work cut out for him.  Like you said, he needs to find a good DC and start building that offense.  

If Chandler Harnish is his plan he should fire himself before the season starts.
If Chandler Harnish is his plan he should fire himself before the season starts.

Harnish is a good young quarterback. He can be put into the mix for the backup.

That's what perplexes me too, Bruce's gift is getting the best out of premier, young talent. AZ gives you nothing even close to that. Is Arians simply taking the Cardinals offer back to Irsay for more money as a bargaining chip or has he actually signed his name to the dotted line yet? Nothing is a done deal without a signature...All lawyers know this.

Well that's off the table now with the Pep Hamilton signing. I didn't think Arians firing of Ray Horton on the defensive side made a whole lot of sense either until I found out he was * that he didn't get the head coach position. That's a cancer waiting to happen if you leave him on your staff. Every little mistake you make would be like "Now see if they would have made me the coach instead of this *!" We'll see how everything looks once he's finished putting the roster together I guess.

Yup, I would agree. He deserves this opportunity, which is well deserved, but Bruce will regret this move. If Bruce can't get a franchise QB, he will be fired in 3 years. Shoot, I thought we [Colts] survived the coaching merry go round & still retained Arians OC services... I completely forgot about AZ...Sigh... 

I'm a little puzzled as to why he chose a situation with no quarterback in place. He seems to like to work with young quarterbacks, so this must mean they are going to make a run at Gino Smith, Matt Barkley or one of these young guns when the draft comes around. That or he must see some value in Kolb I guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lure Chandler Harnish over there somehow.

The ony way he can "lure Chandler Harnish over there " would be a trade.  All the Colts have to do to keep him is have him on the 53 man roster.

Yup, I would agree. He deserves this opportunity, which is well deserved, but Bruce will regret this move. If Bruce can't get a franchise QB, he will be fired in 3 years. Shoot, I thought we [Colts] survived the coaching merry go round & still retained Arians OC services... I completely forgot about AZ...Sigh... 

I'm a little puzzled as to why he chose a situation with no quarterback in place. He seems to like to work with young quarterbacks, so this must mean they are going to make a run at Gino Smith, Matt Barkley or one of these young guns when the draft comes around. That or he must see some value in Kolb I guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lure Chandler Harnish over there somehow.

I wonder would Arians give any consideration to Aaron Rodgers little brother Jordan as a quarterback prospect? I watched him play some today in the college all star game and I liked some of the things I saw, some of the things he does remind you of Aaron. One of the commentators was impressed as well. I think he would fit the style of play that B. A. is looking for. I'm not sure how high his draft projection is though.

I wonder would Arians give any consideration to Aaron Rodgers little brother Jordan as a quarterback prospect? I watched him play some today in the college all star game and I liked some of the things I saw, some of the things he does remind you of Aaron. One of the commentators was impressed as well. I think he would fit the style of play that B. A. is looking for. I'm not sure how high his draft projection is though.

I'd really think BA would look long and hard at Mike Glennon.  That guy probably fits BA's system better than any other QB at the college ranks that I can think of.  Where they can get him in the draft is the question though.

I think I was too tough on Bruce when he made his decision. Yeah he does have his work cut out for him going to Arizona but he does seem to want this very badly, to be a full time head coach before he is done. Just reading and listening to things since he went there makes me believe he really is feeling this. And I am one who always says to usually follow your heart.

I will always be grateful for his leadership and abilities during possibly my most memorable regular season ever.

I was thinking the last few days that I think I prefer Arians as a HC then an OC.

Hopefully he can get them to climb the NFC West rankings again. Remember, someone has gone from worst to first every year since 2002!

Good luck Bruce but when you play the Colts next year I hope we wallop your boys!!!

I think I was too tough on Bruce when he made his decision. Yeah he does have his work cut out for him going to Arizona but he does seem to want this very badly, to be a full time head coach before he is done. Just reading and listening to things since he went there makes me believe he really is feeling this. And I am one who always says to usually follow your heart.

I will always be grateful for his leadership and abilities during possibly my most memorable regular season ever.

I was thinking the last few days that I think I prefer Arians as a HC then an OC.

Hopefully he can get them to climb the NFC West rankings again. Remember, someone has gone from worst to first every year since 2002!

Good luck Bruce but when you play the Colts next year I hope we wallop your boys!!!

I am out of likes so you get a smilie for that.  :)  I think we are all sad to see Arians go and were kind of hoping he'd stick around.  Even me who commented earlier during the year that if he left it could end up being a blessing in disguise because it would force us to evolve our offense to become more balanced.  I still believe that but with all that went on this year, his leadership in adversity and the success, I was sad to see him go.  Wishing him the best in Arizona as that is my twin sister's favorite team.  Hopefully he gets a decent enough young quarterback to mold in the draft this year.  Cards could draft Gino or Matt Barkley.  Whoever that is though it won't be Andrew!  lol 

Read title

He said he would only coach if it where the right situation please Arizona? is the last place i thought he would go. The reality is no one else wanted him and he took what was left i wish him luck. But please don't insult Colt fans by saying the right situation

Deal is done i believe. Bruce wanted a HC job, not a good HC job, but any HC job. Don't think Arizona's situation really mattered, it was a HC job and he got offered. His comments last week about not running off to just any job were less then truthful in my opinion.

I guess it beats being a 'retired' Steelers OC.  ;)  Pagano gives the retired dude another shot and he lands a multi-year HC gig.  Only 32 of those are available, and retired dudes snags one of them . Not bad. Not bad at all. 

I've been preaching this for awhile, and it may come to pass.  Kolb is a huge release candidate, and Mike Glennon could be the Radar Target-

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/254284/cardinals-make-bruce-arians-next-head-coach

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/cardinals-make-bruce-arians-next-head-coach

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490901-4-changes-arizona-cardinals-can-expect-with-hiring-of-bruce-arians/page/2

It is nice to play in cream puff division on the road to the super Bowl, but you still have to beat the best to be the best.  Arians wants to give it a whirl...

He said he would only coach if it where the right situation please Arizona? is the last place i thought he would go. The reality is no one else wanted him and he took what was left i wish him luck. But please don't insult Colt fans by saying the right situation

Whole story here-

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8855315/arizona-cardinals-hire-bruce-arians-new-head-coach

Snippets-

"Arians emphasized the importance of building a close relationship with the quarterback.

"As a head coach or an offensive coordinator, you're tied to that guy," Arians said. "Your future is him. You better realize that, and you better have a heck of a strong relationship so that when it's really tough in the game, he's telling you what he's seeing, not what he thinks you might want to hear."

Quarterback is a major problem for Arizona. The only one of the four who got a start in the Cardinals' 5-11 season that had any success was Kevin Kolb, and he went down with a rib injury in Week 6 and never returned.

Arians said the Cardinals must either improve what they have at the position or find a new one behind what he called "Door No. 2."

He said he would call the plays as head coach "until I can find someone who is going to do it better than me. I haven't found him yet."

More snippets-

"He said he would not leave Indianapolis for just any head coaching job.

"I said early when some teams contacted my agent about setting up interviews," he said, "I'm going to have a heck of a feeling about that organization, owner, general manager, team, to leave where I am right now."

Did he have that feeling with Arizona?

"Yes," he said. "I do."

Let's see what goes down from here.  Best of luck to you Bruce, and thanks for your efforts here.