Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pursue Jake Long?

NCost12

CastOnzo gave up 11 sacks this season. That probably led the League for All O-Lineman.

My eye test saw that he DID NOT move as well in Pass Blocking as he did last season. I`m am guessing his ankle is an issue.

No idea how many sprains he has had on it in his life, but if a lot it would be very susceptable to re-injury.

This could also be a significant hindrance to physical conditioning.

I bet Grigson knows the answer to this and will add this to HIS overall evaluation regarding CastOnzo`s Poor season in Pass Blocking and what to do going forward.

I do know our ability to successfully Run to the right was at about the bottom of the League and that CastOnzo would be a big help there.

Where did you get 11 from? I tried looking for sacks allowed by player across the league but could only find through the first 6 weeks. At that point he had 3.5 allowed but was nowhere near leading the league. (8.5 allowed)

What is a  franchise LT?  Is he one that thrives in a man blocking scheme and is 'vulnerable' in the zone scheme as mentioned before.

Like Balzer, most of you have seen what I have to say about these offensive linemen.  If you are a FRANCHISE O-lineman, you need to play in any scheme that the NFL has to offer.  This just tells me Long is not a franchise.  

I agree with many that we do not break the bank on this guy.  That said we do go man blocking man with minimum deviation.  Long IS better at man blocking....it comes down to money with me....

Grigs will get us our guy (s) I am confident the OL will be worth watching next year......we do not need it to be 'OFFENSIVE' again :)

I agree. I don't want people taking me the wrong way and I should have cleared it up sooner, but it's not that I think Long is a worthless scrub, I just think that many have over rated him and make him out to be greater than he is. He is a good LT but I do not believe he is elite and I have legitimate concerns about him coming here.

The biggest concern I have is that at age 27 he already seems to be in decline and is injury prone. That is not a good sign. Another concern is the money he'll want. I did see somewhere but don't remember where(thats why I didn't post it earlier because I don't even know if its true) that he wants a Joe Thomas contract(7 yrs. 84 million)and if that is true, that is ridiculous.

What is a  franchise LT?  Is he one that thrives in a man blocking scheme and is 'vulnerable' in the zone scheme as mentioned before.

Like Balzer, most of you have seen what I have to say about these offensive linemen.  If you are a FRANCHISE O-lineman, you need to play in any scheme that the NFL has to offer.  This just tells me Long is not a franchise.  

I agree with many that we do not break the bank on this guy.  That said we do go man blocking man with minimum deviation.  Long IS better at man blocking....it comes down to money with me....

Grigs will get us our guy (s) I am confident the OL will be worth watching next year......we do not need it to be 'OFFENSIVE' again :)

To me, you never build a team through free agency always do it through the draft with young athletic talent you can mold & not a veteran clouded by multiple schemes or coordinators. I leave linemen discussions to BrentMC11 & Lollygager8 for example people better suited at these matters than me. No, I pass on Long.

I agree. I don't want people taking me the wrong way and I should have cleared it up sooner, but it's not that I think Long is a worthless scrub, I just think that many have over rated him and make him out to be greater than he is. He is a good LT but I do not believe he is elite and I have legitimate concerns about him coming here.

The biggest concern I have is that at age 27 he already seems to be in decline and is injury prone. That is not a good sign. Another concern is the money he'll want. I did see somewhere but don't remember where(thats why I didn't post it earlier because I don't even know if its true) that he wants a Joe Thomas contract(7 yrs. 84 million)and if that is true, that is ridiculous.

I knew exactly what you mean, and Long could conceivably thrive in our man system if indeed we stick with it.  That is why I used your name!  :)

In ZERO way, shape or form does Long get a Thomas-esque pot of offensive lineman gold.....not here anyway!!  Go short, not Long!  :cool:

Jeff Ireland is full of it....just trying to make himself look good

Everyone said Bryant McKinnie was done a couple of years ago also...    Now he is the starting LT for Balt.

Long is definitely worth a look IMO.   A change of scenery and a few W's do wonders for a person's attitude.  

I think this was more of an opinion piece than it was anything factual. I have said a dozen times that this guy is over rated and isn't nearly as good as the average fan thinks he is. He is only 27 yrs. old and yet Miami is letting him walk. Hmmm, A franchise LT(supposedly) and Miami is just letting him go. Yeah, something don't add up.

Everyone said Bryant McKinnie was done a couple of years ago also...    Now he is the starting LT for Balt.

Long is definitely worth a look IMO.   A change of scenery and a few W's do wonders for a person's attitude.  

I think that was because McKinnie was fat and out of shape...Long is just struggling with various injuries the past two years

IMO, Long would be an all pro when compared to OUR linemen (exception is Castanzo), however, for the money he's going to command, he's not worth it.  From what I read, he's very inconsistent and over-rated.  If Grigson can somehow convince him to take less than market value (fat chance), I'd take him.

but there is a min cap number that must be met.    The Colts HAVE GOT TO spend money.   They are way too far under the cap.   Might as well throw it at the OL and DL....     :D

To me, you never build a team through free agency always do it through the draft with young athletic talent you can mold & not a veteran clouded by multiple schemes or coordinators. I leave linemen discussions to BrentMC11 & Lollygager8 for example people better suited at these matters than me. No, I pass on Long.

Best comment in the whole thread... he is def worth a look and after Grigson gets to sit down and talk to him and have our medical staff evaluate his so called injury-proneness (is that a word lol), he may just need the change of scenery and something to play for! I hope we sign him and Costanzo become the staple of our o line.

We will probably have to over pay a little but he MAY, I repeat, MAY be worth it...

In Grigson I trust

Signing a lineman doesn't mean your aren't building thru the draft. Signing Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, and Mario Manninghan worked out pretty well for the 49ers. I think polian convinced colts fans that FA is the devil.

IMO, Long would be an all pro when compared to OUR linemen (exception is Castanzo), however, for the money he's going to command, he's not worth it.  From what I read, he's very inconsistent and over-rated.  If Grigson can somehow convince him to take less than market value (fat chance), I'd take him.

Vontae Davis wasw considered inconsistent and over-rated b4 leaving Miami too.

Vontae and Long are both winners. They want to win but cant do it all themselves. Knowing you have a shot at a SB can really motivate a guy

Signing a lineman doesn't mean your aren't building thru the draft. Signing Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, and Mario Manninghan worked out pretty well for the 49ers. I think polian convinced colts fans that FA is the devil.

Polian had a flawed in that regard what the difference between over paying your own player an signing some one who might be better

It's all about picking up the right guys. Polian was to hit and miss and some of his fa's burned us. Not to mention our own guys he signed to ridiculous contracts. Don't get me started on his draft picks

Im surpised Brandon Alberts name isn't being brought up here. Reports are that the Chiefs could potentially let him walk for younger/cheaper Luke Joekel(sp) which could be drafted #1 by the Chiefs. Albert is also now coming out of his rookie contract so he probably won't be cheap but is highly praised. I wouldn't mind giving him a look either.

So you're saying that Jake Long has been with the Dolphins for 10+ seasons, and fans don't want to see him go, but his age and salary cap are a factor? I did not contradict myself, I see it as two totally different situations in the two. Jake Long has declined in the last two seasons, however, Dwight only managed to put up lower numbers this season (in a new position). Jake Long is supposedly the franchise LT of the Miami Dolphins, and saying that he's a cap casualty and not a release on play is ridiculous. Yes, cap space is a factor, BUT, the two situations are entirely different. 

there really isnt a franchise player outside of qb in this league anymore because youre not going to go out and spend 70+ for 4-5 years on a skill player unless they are calvin johnson who makes 132 mil in the next 6 years. im not saying youre entirely wrong im just saying the situation is pretty much the same. im with you on freeney being a favorite player and no many fans probably dont care to see long go because oline doesnt get recognized enough for what they do. most of the year the oline in the colts got the blame when we lost but when we won it was all andrew luck. if we bring in long and he fits our scheme and can line up without replacing costanzo then im all for it. would he get 10+ mil a season from us no. will he get that from any team. maybe. his rookie contract is the reason hes makde so much money. which is why the new rookie contract system has been developed. yes dwights numbers werent there and hes been declining in the new position but that wont stop him from going to a team where he can thrive in the scheme. getting personel to fit the schemes that you run is how you win in the league. you can have as many superstars as you can sign but if they dont fit what you run youre not going to get anything done. so if long fits our scheme then yes i would love to get him. all im saying is that the situations are more similar than youd think

Im surpised Brandon Alberts name isn't being brought up here. Reports are that the Chiefs could potentially let him walk for younger/cheaper Luke Joekel(sp) which could be drafted #1 by the Chiefs. Albert is also now coming out of his rookie contract so he probably won't be cheap but is highly praised. I wouldn't mind giving him a look either.

I thought about that too...but i guess that comes down if Grigsson really wants to pay money he coudl use on other positions...not saying is a bad idea im saying he is gonna have a market (ATL,OAK,DAL,CHI,SD,etc) So we will have competition... if we are interested it will down to how grigs sees the roster if he thinks we can use all that money on him or he rather have other cheaper players

"Pursue Chance Warmack & every other Alabama Lineman"

Lol, idk. I don't really know much about what it takes to be a "Good Lineman". That's probably the position I'm least knowledgeable on so yeah.....

Well yeah...Alabama had the best offensive line in the nation this season and have several of them entering the draft in April.  The absolutely manhandled that Notre Dame defense.  So I could definitely get down with that if the Colts grabbed one or two. 

I knew exactly what you mean, and Long could conceivably thrive in our man system if indeed we stick with it.  That is why I used your name!   :)

In ZERO way, shape or form does Long get a Thomas-esque pot of offensive lineman gold.....not here anyway!!  Go short, not Long!  :cool:

I agree Brother Brent,we dont need to break the bank,IMO if there are some solid OL in FA  that can do running and passing schemes well, that are veteran and come at the right price ,by all means grab them,but this is short term,I agree with our other Brother Southwest ,that long term if your building it,your going to have to do it in the draft,I do however think they may help our secondary more overall in FA,just my opinion but please spend the money wisely :thmup:  Long doesnt fit here!

I think if we can pick up Vasquez, Kruger, and an OT in FA, Grigson's draft will be that much easier IMO. There's some tackles that should fall to us at 24, but even some decent defensive players we can get at 24 (or lower, should we trade down for additional picks). Is it April yet?