Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

tonight proves colts made best decision

danlhart87

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning joins the team and all the Tennessee fans become Colt fans. When he leaves, they leave. Luck joins the Colts, Stanford fans become Colts fans. When he's done, they will leave. If that's how you roll, fine, but some of us are Colts fans ALL the time. That means we liked Manning and we like Luck. We liked Harbaugh....and we all hated Jeff George. Can't we agree on that at least??? :)

haha Jeff George could've won the Super Bowl if he would've just grown his mullet out longer, that thing was a distraction. I could see it now, Jeff George and his incredible mullet win the Super Bowl.

watching that denver game brought back all the playoff memories of the past with the colts and manning. every year there was some kind of excuse, bad coaching, bad defense, bad running game, bad offensive line, need taller or faster receivers, and i'm sure there are more. tenn even lost to nebraska and now in denver. that is just way too much of a pattern. i always backed manning and wanted the colts to keep him (taking luck or trading the pick). some players just don't seem to be able to make the big plays in the playoffs or make key mistakes. there are examples of this happening in all sports with the same accompanying excuses. i hope luck turns out to be the joe montana model.

Luck is only gonna get better too. Breaking many rookie records is huge for his confidence and just like Manning still knows he has work to do.

When Flacco threw late 4th QB TD I thought wow once again Manning let down again but the D had nothing to do with Manning's INT.

BTW If Luck was in Broncos situation late 4th 2 TOs left I have no doubt he would fought for the win. That's the reason Luck was the better choice.

Yeah...I noticed how Manning allowed that 70 yard bomb to be completed.

Manning shouldn't have been in the position to throw the pick. Moreno went down, the secondary was terrible, etc. The idea Manning lost that game is ridiculous.

Don't blame the D. Irregardless what the D does its the plays in the clutch that counts.

Here again, I suppose somehow it's the fault of the O the D let all those completions happen? You can't use a blanket statement/comment "clutch counts". I don't care who the QB is, if the D lets too much happen no amount of "clutch" will win. There's no guarantee if Manning didn't throw the pick, Denver would have won. The win was almost certain if the secondary didn't allow some out-of-this-world bomb to be completed.

Yeah...I noticed how Manning allowed that 70 yard bomb to be completed.

Manning shouldn't have been in the position to throw the pick. Moreno went down, the secondary was terrible, etc. The idea Manning lost that game is ridiculous.

Here again, I suppose somehow it's the fault of the O the D let all those completions happen? You can't use a blanket statement/comment "clutch counts". I don't care who the QB is, if the D lets too much happen no amount of "clutch" will win. There's no guarantee if Manning didn't throw the pick, Denver would have won. The win was almost certain if the secondary didn't allow some out-of-this-world bomb to be completed.

You're trying a little too hard to exonerate Manning. Yeah the CB play was pretty terrible, but that does not excuse Manning of making a really bad and downright dumb pass that DID end up causing the Bronco's to lose. You can't have it both ways, saying "Yeah...I noticed how Manning allowed that 70 yard bomb to be completed" and "The win was almost certain if the secondary didn't allow some out-of-this-world bomb to be completed." Then completely exonerate Manning of blame when he throws an interception deep in his own territory. It wasn't completely Mannings fault, but it also wasn't completely the defenses fault. There is blame to be shared from both.

So what's worse the manning haters or the Luck haters? Cause I don't know about you but Luck is a Colt. And many fans have had to defend our own player all year long. So yeah, it goes both ways

Personally, I'm a hater of neither. Not sure what you were suggesting here to the OP. I get what the OP is saying. This game was not lost by Manning.

You're trying a little too hard to exonerate Manning. Yeah the CB play was pretty terrible, but that does not excuse Manning of making a really bad and downright dumb pass that DID end up causing the Bronco's to lose. You can't have it both ways, saying "Yeah...I noticed how Manning allowed that 70 yard bomb to be completed" and "The win was almost certain if the secondary didn't allow some out-of-this-world bomb to be completed." Then completely exonerate Manning of blame when he throws an interception deep in his own territory. It wasn't completely Mannings fault, but it also wasn't completely the defenses fault. There is blame to be shared from both.

Sure, there's blame to be shared, a pick is never good. I'm not exonerating Manning of that.

Would you agree that if the bomb wasn't completed the game is probably  over and won by Denver? How sure are you that Manning completing the pass would win the game for Denver? All I'm suggesting is the Defense has more blame for this loss if blame is to be weighed and placed somewhere.

Same old Peyton.

Torches everyone in the regular season...and takes a nap in the playoffs. As a result, he is now tied with Brett Favre for the most postseason losses by a starting QB in NFL history.

Just wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

You're right...even after more than a year off with neck surgery. Same MVP caliber player, making a good team great, putting up record stats. Same old Peyton.

LOL, yes because he was wearing Baileys uniform as well as Moores...  Broncos had this game won with less than a minute to go in regulation when they got burnt again deep - no excuse for that!

When you're only up one score, time is still left on the clock, and you don't possess the ball....you don't have the game won yet.  Had the Broncos not gone 1 (scoring drive) for their last 8 offensive possessions, and say maybe went 2 for 8 thus putting them up 2 scores then you could say they had the game won.  That didn't happen and neither did them winning the game.  The Broncos offense put up 7 pts in the whole second half of that game....that just won't cut it.  

Sure, there's blame to be shared, a pick is never good. I'm not exonerating Manning of that.

Would you agree that if the bomb wasn't completed the game is probably  over and won by Denver? How sure are you that Manning completing the pass would win the game for Denver? All I'm suggesting is the Defense has more blame for this loss if blame is to be weighed and placed somewhere.

Well of course, If that bomb at the end of regulation isn't completed the Broncos win. but the thing is teams can be burnt at any time. You can have the best CB's that ever stepped on planet earth and they are vulnerable to being burnt once or twice. It just came at a really bad time for the Bronco's(I know they gave up more than one.) One could also argue that if the ravens didn't have 2 complete ST's failures, that the Bronco's may have never had a chance to win at the end of regulation in the 1st place.

It's just hard to assign blame to one area of the team. The defense is to blame, the offense as a whole was to blame, and Yes, even Manning himself was to blame. I just don't like to see some(not you particularly) try to go out of their way to exonerate Manning of blame. He has a history of making bad decisions in the playoffs and that just can not be denied. 

Ravens score 17 pts off of 3 Manning turnovers, and Broncos special teams spots them 14 pts, and Manning has 1 scoring drive on their last 8 possessions (only 7 pts in the whole 2nd half)....but you're right the D has more blame for this loss.

Well of course, If that bomb at the end of regulation isn't completed the Broncos win. but the thing is teams can be burnt at any time. You can have the best CB's that ever stepped on planet earth and they are vulnerable to being burnt once or twice. It just came at a really bad time for the Bronco's(I know they gave up more than one.) One could also argue that if the ravens didn't have 2 complete ST's failures, that the Bronco's may have never had a chance to win at the end of regulation in the 1st place.

It's just hard to assign blame to one area of the team. The defense is to blame, the offense as a whole was to blame, and Yes, even Manning himself was to blame. I just don't like to see some(not you particularly) try to go out of their way to exonerate Manning of blame. He has a history of making bad decisions in the playoffs and that just can not be denied. 

I agree everyone is to blame. It's a team sport. And I also agree, Manning makes a bad decision here and there. He makes them throughout the year as every other player in the NFL. However, I don't agree with anyone that suggests because it's Peyton Manning in the playoffs, a teams odds of winninig are lower. There's no denying he is a great player and to be cliche "he raises everyone's boat". And as crazy as it sounds, I'm not so sure (for the sake of gaining any rythm) those ST breakdowns allowing TDs by Denver didn't have an adverse effect. It almost looked as though (although I'm sure he wasn't) Peyton was disappointed on that second ST TD. He certainly didn't look as happy as he did on the first. I think he wanted to get out ther and play.

Ravens score 17 pts off of 3 Manning turnovers, and Broncos special teams spots them 14 pts, and Manning has 1 scoring drive on their last 8 possessions (only 7 pts in the whole 2nd half)....but you're right the D has more blame for this loss.

I appreciate your affirmation...

When you're only up one score, time is still left on the clock, and you don't possess the ball....you don't have the game won yet.  Had the Broncos not gone 1 (scoring drive) for their last 8 offensive possessions, and say maybe went 2 for 8 thus putting them up 2 scores then you could say they had the game won.  That didn't happen and neither did them winning the game.  The Broncos offense put up 7 pts in the whole second half of that game....that just won't cut it.  

The ST play of Denver took away two possessions from its own Offense. Granted points were scored, but that did take away some time of possession and opportunity for rythm to be realized. Either way, I'm pretty sure, the vast majority of people if asked the question "what's the biggest single play that lost this game?" the 70+ yard completion at the end of the game would be given. That's the Defense fault. But, as noted in some other posts, it is a team sport and is all cumulative. 

I'll add this to your post as it seems we agree on most things. Not to bash Manning but isn't your 20 million $ QB suppose to , at least once in a while , just "carry you " to a win when maybe you didn't have the best team. That isn't even the case here as once again a Manning led team , lost a game they were supposed to win. You can keep saying it's a "team" game but great QB's over come the odds evry now and then and Manning has not done that in the post season.

Yeah i agree. I thought the game could have been put away in that 3rd qtr after Flacco fumbled. They had great field position and gained 6 yards and had to punt. That was the series where Manning audibled to a run on 3rd and 5. The next series, Manning fumbled and led to a TD for the Ravens. Everyone looks at the end of the game and then blames the defense, but Manning had 2 opportunities to put this game away in the 3rd and failed. Then he failed again in OT. Not saying he deserves all the blame but he certainly deserves a fair share of it.

(35 points) - (14 Special Teams points) = 21 GROSS offensive points

(21 GROSS offensive points) - (7 BAL Defensive points off INT) = 14 NET offensive points.

That's a bad offensive showing; assign blame however you will. 

Agreed, but then i speculate how we scored NO TD's at all vs. the same opponent, and our D also gave up the  huge deep passes.  We have work to do on both sides of the ball as well.

I'll add this to your post as it seems we agree on most things. Not to bash Manning but isn't your 20 million $ QB suppose to , at least once in a while , just "carry you " to a win when maybe you didn't have the best team. That isn't even the case here as once again a Manning led team , lost a game they were supposed to win. You can keep saying it's a "team" game but great QB's over come the odds evry now and then and Manning has not done that in the post season.

It's been a while ago, but he did in the Conference Championship game prior to the Super Bowl. And we can go back and forth about the "team thing" all day. What I know to be fact about this game is Denver was winning the game with about a minute to go. Denver's secondary let a 70+ yard bomb be completed for a TD. I'm talking abou this specific game and that specific play. If Manning had completed the pass and the received fumbled, Ravens recovered and kicked a FG, someohow it's still on Manning.

....you forgot going one and done in the playoffs. Not surprised. All Manning apologists do.

No. I didn't forget. I think that's what most of these posts are about. How can I forget?

Manning haters are sure to point out ONLY the negatives. Not sure you fit the description as I can't and won't review all your comments, but I have commented on Manning's errors as recently as my last few posts. I'm pointing out facts about Manning. Recorded and reviewable facts. What's your criteria for a "Manning apologist"?

Intrinsically, all Colt fans know what great things Peyton did for Indy and the Colts.  We also know he's the greatest regular season QB in, maybe ever.  We also know that Peyton has suffered many heartbreaking post season defeats.  Often losing the first post season game. His total playoff record is sub 500.  His cold weather games even worse.  Many of us noticed a drop off in Colts play after 2006, and the higher difficulty Manning had in covering team weakness due to his own arms increasing weakness.  And the loss of focus at crucial times in post season play.  I think my first glimpse that maybe Peyton's Kryptonite was being behind late in a playoff game was Super Bowl vs. the Saints.  The pick 6 to Tracy Porter.  Still appreciate every moment he took a snap for our Colts. Even the painful memory ones.

Now I'm excited about our future.  And I will be a little more cognizant about 'clutch' play in regular season vs. post season this time around. But supportive in every way.

Manning haters are sure to point out ONLY the negatives.

One of the more embarassing comments in this thread. Fellow "Colts fans" are pointing out facts. Not negatives.

Manning apologists perceive facts as negatives. That's understandable. But that doesn't magically morph the two words into one.

The facts don't line up with the narrative that someone has to subscribe to in order to pretend Colts fans are not allowed to be disappointed with Manning when it comes to the playoffs.

Agreed, but then i speculate how we scored NO TD's at all vs. the same opponent, and our D also gave up the huge deep passes. We have work to do on both sides of the ball as well.

It wasn't a Colts v Broncos comment; I'm not sure why it's being turned into that.

It wasn't a Colts v Broncos comment; I'm not sure why it's being turned into that.

Because it was I who speculated. Common opponent. Same type of game. similar time frame.

If my friend lost in a game of basketball shooting horse, and he lost HORSE - HORS and some felt that performance by him was poor, and I had just lost to that same opponent HO- HORSE, how else am I to infer what that same some would feel how my own performance was like?  It's called a measuring stick, and we all were in the post season together.  I drew the comp based upon your initial inflection; just carried out a little further.  Just one part of the equation to my answering the 'did we make the best decision' topic that started this all.

Personally, I'm a hater of neither. Not sure what you were suggesting here to the OP. I get what the OP is saying. This game was not lost by Manning.

dont feel like going back and searching. but I quoted who I was talking to. he was bringing up manning haters.

One of the more embarassing comments in this thread. Fellow "Colts fans" are pointing out facts. Not negatives.

Manning apologists perceive facts as negatives. That's understandable. But that doesn't magically morph the two words into one.

The facts don't line up with the narrative that someone has to subscribe to in order to pretend Colts fans are not allowed to be disappointed with Manning when it comes to the playoffs.

I don't quite follow the point you're attempting to make here. A fact can be negative, positive or neutral. Personally, I pointed out/confirmed Manning tossed a pick (one off a tipped ball). That's a fact and negative. My only point in all this is this loss isn't all on Manning. If there was a reasonable way to breakdown a game and assign a contributive value to the loss of a game, Manning value (or percentage of blame) would be minimal. You pointed out in a previous thread something along the lines of "same old Manning". Except for the one straight pick in OT, there were few errors on Manning's part. Here are a few points that contributed to the loss...

1. No 2 Defense in NFL giving up 31 pts.

2. A missed field goal.

3. Losing the best runner and pass blocker (Moreno).

4. Allowing a 70+ yard bomb to tie the game (I suppose that's part o 1).

You have a blind hatred of Manning to suggest this is all on him and typical. You and your little blog would stand with few in the opinion Manning is not one of the best QBs ever. So blog away...

The facts I'm referring to are Manning's stats. Included in his stats are negatives and positives. Negatives and positives are pushed together to come up with a compilation reflected in those stats. Are you denying Manning is not a top QB? Why does a so so QB have 4 MVPs and perhaps another coming. Regardless of how you or anyone feels about how an MVP is chosen, he is a 4-time MVP. Why do so many in the sporting world consider Manning to be so good? The adjectives positively describing him are endless. The accolades are abound. Whether you're a Manning fan or not, if you're logical, you can see the numbers. Let's hear something genuinely positive from you regarding Manning. I'll even give you a negative...

Peyton throwing the pick against New Orleans in the Super Bowl. In that particular case, that picked sealed the game. There's still blame to go around, but that pretty much did the Colts in. The Baltimore/Denver game was not the same.

To the comments about Manning keeping them in the game. Actually, IMO, the special team kept them in the game. Two special teams touchdowns and you lose in over time? I really thought that when Willis Mgahee wemt down the season was over for the Broncos. I know they went on a winning streak still. But, early in the season when Peyton was still struggleing a little, he carried that team on his back. It showed in the Playoffs when they had all kind of trouble picking up the short yardage plays. They will be back next season. And watch out for them. This year they really werent even expected to be as good as they were.

Peyton is still my favorite player in the NFL and I certainly wouldnt call him a choker in the playoffs...but its clear he isnt exactly the biggest playoff performer of the greats.

That throw against Baltimore was just cringe worthy.