Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Is A Make-Or-Break Year For...

21isSuperman

There are a number of guys on this team who, if they don't produce, should in my opinion be released.

Brown - He has been in the system for a few years and should know the entire playbook. With the addition of Carter, I think that's a sign to Brown that we aren't afraid to release him. If he doesn't have a strong year, I think he needs to go.

Gonzo - Pretty much the same as Brown. He knows the system well. His only flaw is that he is very injury prone. This is the last year of his contract, so if he doesn't produce well this year, he won't be on the team next year. If I remember right, he has even come out and said that this is a make-or-break year for him.

Diem - His play regressed a lot last year; false starts and penalties all over the place. He is now playing guard and that is what position Ijalana was projected to play in the NFL. We also have Pollak to play guard. With that said, he might stay on the team if Link doesn't play well at RT.

Lacey - I'm iffy on saying this is a make-or-break year, but he had a solid rookie season and followed it up with a pretty bad sophomore campaign. We don't have much depth at CB either, so I could see him staying with the team next year.

Coyer - His first season, the defense played well. The second season, the defense played very poorly (though he did have to deal with a lot of injuries). For me, this is his make-or-break year. If the defense doesn't perform well, I wouldn't be upset to see him go.

Rychleski - Special teams have been brutal for the last few years. He has done nothing to improve them and I wouldn't be upset to see him go.

Who do you think is on the hot seat and why?

I've said it before, but how does Rychleski even have a job in the NFL? I'll give our O-line coach a pass for a few weeks.

Considering how much time Brown got today, I think there's no question there. I was hoping they would have sat Joe in the second half since we were out of the game and let Brown have his carries. At least let him earn some of that pay by getting pounded out there.

Spot on 21.

Haven't heard anyone talk about Angerer. He was lookin like he has made that second year leap.

Make or break?

CALDWELL!

I'm not a Caldwell hater, have never spoken a word about him here. I feel he has been riding Dungy's coat tales, and what success we've had since he took the helm was purely a manifestation of what Dungy had in place. As with all things, this is wearing off.

The Coaching staff beneath him has changed as he alienated the rocks we had here for years (Mudd/Moore).

Idk but for me i would say the person that chooses they type of defense the colts run... idk if its larry coyer or not cause that scheme has been in place way before he was there. the colts need to change some things like seriously, that bend but dont brake stuff doesnt cut it.

I agree with everyone on the list add head coach add linkenbach

why in the world did freeney moala and Johnson not play today? Oh that's right they did! Embarrassed! !!!!!!!!

They negated our pass rush early with the QB roll outs. We didn't adjust until it was too late - outcoached. I expect we'll be seeing that a lot. When a team does that, it should make it easier on our DBs, less of the field to cover. Yet, we still were giving 8 yard cushions on 7 yard to a first down plays.

Agree on Brown, Gonzo and Lacey. Disagree on Coyer, Rychewski, and Diem.

I think Diem is in his last year, either way. He signed a 1 year deal, and is getting old, and was nearly released this year. The Colts aren't ones to fire their coaches after a couple of seasons. They like to keep them and let them develop and get comfortable. Somebody I would add is Jerry Hughes, the guy has not produced anything as a Colt, and provides okay depth. We have Brayton and Anderson as backups, and we have 7 draft picks going into next year. If he doesn't show up and prove something on the plays he's on, he;s done.

They negated our pass rush early with the QB roll outs. We didn't adjust until it was too late - outcoached. I expect we'll be seeing that a lot. When a team does that, it should make it easier on our DBs, less of the field to cover. Yet, we still were giving 8 yard cushions on 7 yard to a first down plays.

You got it, bud.

We were out coached more than anything. Coyer's timing was off by several degrees today.

Agree on Brown, Gonzo and Lacey. Disagree on Coyer, Rychewski, and Diem.

I think Diem is in his last year, either way. He signed a 1 year deal, and is getting old, and was nearly released this year. The Colts aren't ones to fire their coaches after a couple of seasons. They like to keep them and let them develop and get comfortable. Somebody I would add is Jerry Hughes, the guy has not produced anything as a Colt, and provides okay depth. We have Brayton and Anderson as backups, and we have 7 draft picks going into next year. If he doesn't show up and prove something on the plays he's on, he;s done.

It's too early to call out Hughes. You can judge a player 3 years after he has been drafted. Give Hughes some time and let's see what he can do.

It's too early to call out Hughes. You can judge a player 3 years after he has been drafted. Give Hughes some time and let's see what he can do.

It Hughes were playing and progressing I would agree it's too early to give him the boot. Why would a promising first rounder be inactive for no reason?

It Hughes were playing and progressing I would agree it's too early to give him the boot. Why would a promising first rounder be inactive for no reason?

I'm not sure, but that's because I am not on the Colts coaching staff. I'm sure they have their reasons. I give Hughes this year and next to show us what he can do. What do you guys think of Garcon? Tons of potential, but he drops passes and is somewhat inconsistent. Is he on the hot seat?

That roll out thing they did burned me....

..They did that to us last year, too. Our ends away from the side of the run fake have to 'stay home' and grab the QB..

They're fast enough.....but they rush so blindly...the take them selves out of the play..

But its one game...

....There are the six teams we can beat KC, Cleveland, Jacksonville,

Tennesse, Cincinnatti and Carolina...and we can be 6-5 going to New England in December (with maybe a certain 35-year-old QB ready to come off the disabled list)?

I'm neither agree or disagree with keeping Hughes - but who has produced more for the team: Brown or Hughes?

I don't like Brown (and WOULD like to see him gone), but he's earned his spot more so than Hughes in my opinion. I can see how folks would think Hughes spot should go to someone more productive.

I think most people knew Tony Ugoh wasn't going to cut it in the first year. Waiting until the third year didn't help that situation at all.

Just sayin' - Sometimes waiting and waiting for potential to blossom is like beating your head against a wall.

I'm neither agree or disagree with keeping Hughes - but who has produced more for the team: Brown or Hughes?

I don't like Brown (and WOULD like to see him gone), but he's earned his spot more so than Hughes in my opinion. I can see how folks would think Hughes spot should go to someone more productive.

I think most people knew Tony Ugoh wasn't going to cut it in the first year. Waiting until the third year didn't help that situation at all.

Just sayin' - Sometimes waiting and waiting for potential to blossom is like beating your head against a wall.

Brown had a chance to strut his stuff whereas Hughes is stuck behind Freeney and Mathis.

As for Ugoh, he had a very strong rookie year. He just got complacent and lazy. The talent/ability was there, the heart wasn't

• 4 weeks later...

4 games in, what does everyone think? Who should stay on the list, who should be taken off, who should be added?

So far, Gonzo and Brown have done nothing to warrant a roster spot next season. Coyer's playcalling has been on and off, especially last night. The blitzes were nice and we were getting some solid pressure, but he did nothing to prevent the checkdowns to Blount. Should Lacey be taken off of this list now that Tryon is gone? What about Diem?

Coyer and Rychleski should go. If Caldwell is loyal to them, he will go as well like Mora went out due to his loyalty to Vic Fangio, if I remember right (who is now coaching the 49ers). I am sure our talent on D and ST can be coached much better.

Players - Brown should go, Gonzo can be let go, Hughes can be let go as well with Anderson and Brayton playing run downs diminishing his snaps. Diem, Saturday can be re-signed on a 1 yr. deal and we can take it from there based on how long Peyton plays. The CB corp, outside Powers and Lacey are not that special and we should evaluate them closely as the year goes on. Lacey is useful as a nickel once we draft some good CBs. Brackett and Bullitt, probably it is their last year with the Colts.

Mathis and Wayne need to be re-signed. Mathis, probably for 5 yrs. given his age and Wayne probably for a 3 yr. incentive laden deal, IMO.

I can bet Jacob Tamme probably would want to go somewhere else where he gets a shot at more playing time even if Peyton returns, he is just caught in a numbers situation here unfortunately.

If Manning does not come back, all bets are off with players like Wayne and Mathis possibly not wanting to be part of a re-building team, I can see that happening, especially with Wayne's case.

Agreed, but not only do we need to give him time, we need to give him playing time before we can figure out what he can really do.

He's played in 3 games so he was only inactive for one. Why would he be inactive? The best reason I can think of is that he was drafted purely as a pass rusher and we have Mathis and Freeney who are both seeing less playing time themselves to some degree due to the additions of Brayton and Anderson to play on running downs.

I add Jim Caldwell to the hot seat merely because as the head coach he is just as responsible for making sure defensive adjustments are made as Coyer is. If he is not able to get Coyer to make the necessary changes and he's also unwilling to pull the trigger on replacing Coyer then he is just as responsible for the defensive deficiencies as Coyer is. Perfect example imo is Brian Billick and Jim Fassell. These guys were very good friends but Fassell wasn't getting the offensive production that Billick believed he should so Billick had to make the hard decision to fire his good friend in the best interest of the team.

Coyer and Rychleski should go. If Caldwell is loyal to them, he will go as well like Mora went out due to his loyalty to Vic Fangio, if I remember right (who is now coaching the 49ers). I am sure our talent on D and ST can be coached much better.

Players - Brown should go, Gonzo can be let go, Hughes can be let go as well with Anderson and Brayton playing run downs diminishing his snaps. Diem, Saturday can be re-signed on a 1 yr. deal and we can take it from there based on how long Peyton plays. The CB corp, outside Powers and Lacey are not that special and we should evaluate them closely as the year goes on. Lacey is useful as a nickel once we draft some good CBs. Brackett and Bullitt, probably it is their last year with the Colts.

Mathis and Wayne need to be re-signed. Mathis, probably for 5 yrs. given his age and Wayne probably for a 3 yr. incentive laden deal, IMO.

I can bet Jacob Tamme probably would want to go somewhere else where he gets a shot at more playing time even if Peyton returns, he is just caught in a numbers situation here unfortunately.

If Manning does not come back, all bets are off with players like Wayne and Mathis possibly not wanting to be part of a re-building team, I can see that happening, especially with Wayne's case.

I don't think there's much reason to let Hughes go yet, he has too much potential. As for Brayton and Anderson, I think it is too early as well. They have only had 4 games to prove what they can do, let's see how they are doing by week 12. Lacey is nothing special in my opinion, he is a nickel CB at best. Our SS and CB positions need improving ASAP. Bullitt was never a very good SS, he was always a decent backup. As for the corner opposite Powers, I thought Tryon had that spot down, but we saw how that went.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a number of guys on this team who, if they don't produce, should in my opinion be released.

Brown - He has been in the system for a few years and should know the entire playbook. With the addition of Carter, I think that's a sign to Brown that we aren't afraid to release him. If he doesn't have a strong year, I think he needs to go.

Gonzo - Pretty much the same as Brown. He knows the system well. His only flaw is that he is very injury prone. This is the last year of his contract, so if he doesn't produce well this year, he won't be on the team next year. If I remember right, he has even come out and said that this is a make-or-break year for him.

Diem - His play regressed a lot last year; false starts and penalties all over the place. He is now playing guard and that is what position Ijalana was projected to play in the NFL. We also have Pollak to play guard. With that said, he might stay on the team if Link doesn't play well at RT.

Lacey - I'm iffy on saying this is a make-or-break year, but he had a solid rookie season and followed it up with a pretty bad sophomore campaign. We don't have much depth at CB either, so I could see him staying with the team next year.

Coyer - His first season, the defense played well. The second season, the defense played very poorly (though he did have to deal with a lot of injuries). For me, this is his make-or-break year. If the defense doesn't perform well, I wouldn't be upset to see him go.

Rychleski - Special teams have been brutal for the last few years. He has done nothing to improve them and I wouldn't be upset to see him go.

Who do you think is on the hot seat and why?

Halfway through the season, let's see what we have.

Brown has been running decently. I think we should see what we can get in a trade for him during the offseason. His running as of late has been decent and he has been boosting his trade value, so let's see what we can get for him.

Gonzo...has he even played a down this year? The only way I would want him back is if he takes a vet min contract for 1 year with a team option for the 2nd year.

Diem has been hurt lots, I see no reason why he should stay

Lacey has played horribly. He might be ok as a nickel or dime back, but definitely not a starter

As for Coyer, Rychleski and Caldwell, they all need to go. Our offense and special teams are brutal and Caldwell has done nothing to help the team win. Between us, the Rams and the Dolphins, I would say we are the most talented, but worst coached.

As for Coyer, Rychleski and Caldwell, they all need to go. Our offense and special teams are brutal and Caldwell has done nothing to help the team win. Between us, the Rams and the Dolphins, I would say we are the most talented, but worst coached.

Could not have said it better myself. I agree about the other things too. .:)

Halfway through the season, let's see what we have.

Brown has been running decently. I think we should see what we can get in a trade for him during the offseason. His running as of late has been decent and he has been boosting his trade value, so let's see what we can get for him.

Gonzo...has he even played a down this year? The only way I would want him back is if he takes a vet min contract for 1 year with a team option for the 2nd year.

Diem has been hurt lots, I see no reason why he should stay

Lacey has played horribly. He might be ok as a nickel or dime back, but definitely not a starter

Brown...he needs to go. Caldwell actually had to chew on his butt (gasp!) to get him to run a little better. That's not the first time this year either.

Gonzo...white Bob Sanders...definitely needs to go. I hope he got his degree while at OSU because I don't think the NFL life is for him. Just retire man.

Diem signed a one-year deal. I think he retires after this year, especially with all his injury problems.

Stinkenbach...should not be a starter but is due to necessity. With Castonzo and Ijalena back next year he will prolly be relegated to back up, but I wish he was gone. He was personally responsible for getting Collins killed and fumbles in the first 2-3 games this year.

Jerry Hughes...what can I say I never even notice when he's in the game, or if he even gets in the game. If he's in the last year of his contract, let em go.

Lacey...like Stinkenbach, is out there by necessity because we have nobody else. Needs to go or kept on as a nickel, but I honestly wouldn't want to waste a roster spot on him.

Moala...Have not seen him do really much of anything since he's been here in Indy. Defense was much better when Nevis was in. Fili has injury problems as well as off field issues. I think he has one more year left to prove he deserves to be here.

Coaching staff...ALL OF THEM...there's the door...walk through it...don't let it hit you on the way out.

My surprise of the season? Our linebackers. Angry Pat has been an absolute beast since taking over the middle...I hope he keeps it into next year as well. Kavell Connor has been coming along nicely as well. And I've never been a fan of Wheeler but he has upped his game this year as well.

Edited by 21isSuperman
Masked profanity

Brown...he needs to go. Caldwell actually had to chew on his butt (gasp!) to get him to run a little better. That's not the first time this year either.

Gonzo...white Bob Sanders...definitely needs to go. I hope he got his degree while at OSU because I don't think the NFL life is for him. Just retire man.

Diem signed a one-year deal. I think he retires after this year, especially with all his injury problems.

Stinkenbach...should not be a starter but is due to necessity. With Castonzo and Ijalena back next year he will prolly be relegated to back up, but I wish he was gone. He was personally responsible for getting Collins killed and fumbles in the first 2-3 games this year.

Jerry Hughes...what can I say I never even notice when he's in the game, or if he even gets in the game. If he's in the last year of his contract, let em go.

Lacey...like Stinkenbach, is out there by necessity because we have nobody else. Needs to go or kept on as a nickel, but I honestly wouldn't want to waste a roster spot on him.

Moala...Have not seen him do really much of anything since he's been here in Indy. Defense was much better when Nevis was in. Fili has injury problems as well as off field issues. I think he has one more year left to prove he deserves to be here.

Coaching staff...ALL OF THEM...there's the door...walk through it...don't let it hit you on the way out.

My surprise of the season? Our linebackers. Angry Pat has been an absolute beast since taking over the middle...I hope he keeps it into next year as well. Kavell Connor has been coming along nicely as well. And I've never been a fan of Wheeler but he has upped his game this year as well.

Link might be a decent backup, but is certainly not starter material

It's too early to tell for Hughes. I say next year is his make or break year

Moala was decent last season, I give him next year too.

I don't think the offensive coaching staff needs to be changed a lot. Christensen knows what he is doing and is changing up the gameplan to fit Painter's abilities (like having lots of quick throws in the Titans game today). Defense and special teams are our problems

Idk but for me i would say the person that chooses they type of defense the colts run... idk if its larry coyer or not cause that scheme has been in place way before he was there. the colts need to change some things like seriously, that bend but dont brake stuff doesnt cut it.

Solid post, and personally .. I think since after Dungy left... The Polian's have "been in control" Tony got what he wanted. Jim gets ..... to buy the doenuts. hehe

I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring back Gonzo for vet minimum. It's not like the offense is getting high-powered enough this season to give him a ton of chances. At vet minimum, the potential upside is enough to take that chance, even for Gonzo.

disagree....disagree...disagree

Gonzo hasn't contributed anything in 3 years because he is always hurt. Imo...No way we should resign that guy not even at vet minimum.

As far as the OP

Agree with Coyer & Rychleski. I would add Caldwell also though I expect he unfortunately returns.

As far as players...on the fense with Brown, I think he brings a home run threat that none of the other backs have. But agree he has been a disappointment overall. Diem has struggled but our line is crap and he at the least could provide some depth going forward. Lacy, I fault the coaches more than I do the player. They aren't using him right. He looked fine last year playing in a nickle role. He is not a starter on the outside. So I can see keeping him as a nickle or dime back if we can add some better cover guys in the off season.

Brackett could be gone. Getting up there in years and we have Angerer. If it came down to retaining only one of Mathis and Wayne then I prefer to keep Mathis. D needs to keep the few playmakers they have. Peyton makes all our receivers look better than they really are as this season shows.