Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ex-Colt Gary Brackett says: attack Flacco

oldunclemark

from the Indy Star...1-3-13

GARY BRACKETT

On what the Colts' defense needs to do to win.....

“Attack (Ravens quarterback) Joe Flacco. When you’re not a mobile quartberback, you don’t have the chance for double moves. How many times have you seen (this season) where (Colts cornerbacks) Darius (Butler) or Vontae (Davis) jumps a route? It’s a pass defended, or they get a hand on it, or they take it the other way. With Flacco, he’s looking at you, he doesn’t have time for that guy to beat you. It’s a three-step drop. If you’re a cornerback, you’re told to play aggressive. Give yourself a chance to make a play. Be special. You have guys behind you, why not play that guy tight?

On the Colts' success against the Ravens while he played

“Our thing with Baltimore was, when their defense was a top-five defense, it was, ‘Hey defense, give us some time. Let us figure out what they’re doing defensively, then once we get it, we’ll win. That’s why you saw that 15-6 game in the (2006) playoffs. Just five field goals. You have those games, like the 20-3 game (in the 2009 playoffs). Baltimore is not a team you’re going to beat up. It’s an ugly game but if you stop their run, you’ll win.

“We’ve always been good against power-(offense) teams. What we’ve always struggled with was teams that can move the ball. Those zone reaches, where those running backs and linemen are moving, they’re cutting guys, and that running back finds a seam and cuts back against the grain, that’s what our defense struggled on.

“And that’s what (the Colts) still struggle on even being in a 3-4. In the past, Baltimore did the power-(offense). They just said: ‘We’re gonna run at ‘em. And we dominated them. When you don’t have a plan B – like Pittsburgh, when they beat us in ’05, they had a plan B. They threw the football. We were not prepared for them to throw the football. Our defense was predicated on them running the football. So when they threw it, we were kind of scrambling a bit. (Former Colts safety) Mike Doss was kind of caught up in a run-game mode and a couple of times they ran past him on pass plays.

“Baltimore has a coach, (Jim) Caldwell, who knows this better than anyone. He watched the Colts’ defense for years. It might not be the same scheme, but it’s the same personnel. He knows players’ weaknesses. He knows where Dwight Freeney is vulnerable. (Freeney) is so astute as a pash rusher, if you give him a pass set, and it’s a run, he’s probably going to just go into pass-rushing mode. Those are some of the nuances you might see in this week’s game just because the knowledge that Caldwell has of the personnel still here in Indy.”

On the importance of film.......

“My last couple of years, I was guilty of losing a few steps. But I was a good player because I could bring other players along. A (former Colts linebacker) Clint Session, who was still fast, strong, physical, I could teach him what I’m seeing. I could tell him, ‘Don’t take those false steps because that’s a false run read. Even (current Colts linebacker) Pat (Angerer). Just use his No. 1 strengths. This is how you approach the game, this is how you should play the game.”

On what it was like playing in Baltimore......

“Every time we played there, it’s ‘They left us in those Mayflower trucks.’ But for me, I always just blocked it out. If fans were cheering, they were cheering for me. If they were booing, they were booing for the other team. Once I convinced myself of that, no matter where I was playing, it always worked.”

On playoff momentum..........

“I think the playoffs are all about momentum. What team is coming in on what streak, who’s hot, who’s not. As many times as we tried to rest guys, to prepare for playoff teams, that works occasionally. But Indianapolis is coming in hot. Beating a good Houston team, playing their all-around game of the season. I think it’s going to be an emotional ballgame. I would go with the Colts this weekend. We can put up points. Our offense in the red zone, we can score with a lot of teams. It’s just a matter of our defense holding up and having a game plan together. I like (the Colts to win). I think it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 24-17.

GARY BRACKETT

“Attack (Ravens quarterback) Joe Flacco. When you’re not a mobile quartberback, you don’t have the chance for double moves. How many times have you seen (this season) where (Colts cornerbacks) Darius (Butler) or Vontae (Davis) jumps a route? It’s a pass defended, or they get a hand on it, or they take it the other way. With Flacco, he’s looking at you, he doesn’t have time for that guy to beat you. It’s a three-step drop. If you’re a cornerback, you’re told to play aggressive. Give yourself a chance to make a play. Be special. You have guys behind you, why not play that guy tight?

“Our thing with Baltimore was, when their defense was a top-five defense, it was, ‘Hey defense, give us some time. Let us figure out what they’re doing defensively, then once we get it, we’ll win. That’s why you saw that 15-6 game in the (2006) playoffs. Just five field goals. You have those games, like the 20-3 game (in the 2009 playoffs). Baltimore is not a team you’re going to beat up. It’s an ugly game but if you stop their run, you’ll win.

“We’ve always been good against power-(offense) teams. What we’ve always struggled with was teams that can move the ball. Those zone reaches, where those running backs and linemen are moving, they’re cutting guys, and that running back finds a seam and cuts back against the grain, that’s what our defense struggled on.

“And that’s what (the Colts) still struggle on even being in a 3-4. In the past, Baltimore did the power-(offense). They just said: ‘We’re gonna run at ‘em. And we dominated them. When you don’t have a plan B – like Pittsburgh, when they beat us in ’05, they had a plan B. They threw the football. We were not prepared for them to throw the football. Our defense was predicated on them running the football. So when they threw it, we were kind of scrambling a bit. (Former Colts safety) Mike Doss was kind of caught up in a run-game mode and a couple of times they ran past him on pass plays.

“Baltimore has a coach, (Jim) Caldwell, who knows this better than anyone. He watched the Colts’ defense for years. It might not be the same scheme, but it’s the same personnel. He knows players’ weaknesses. He knows where Dwight Freeney is vulnerable. (Freeney) is so astute as a pash rusher, if you give him a pass set, and it’s a run, he’s probably going to just go into pass-rushing mode. Those are some of the nuances you might see in this week’s game just because the knowledge that Caldwell has of the personnel still here in Indy.”

Ol Gary is giving Caldwell a little too much credit. Caldwell didn't understand what was going on when he was the head coach here, he sure don't know what is going on with the Colts defense now, in a new scheme with new players.

..any thoughts on what Gary Brackett said about the Colts?

I agree for the most part with what he said. For some reason, I'm just not worried about this game. I think the Colts are every bit as good as the Ravens. I think our offense is better and the difference between the defenses is not as big as many think it is. I don't know, maybe I'm over confident, or maybe its just that even if we lose, I'm satisfied with the season. I can't be disappointed with whatever outcome we have Sunday considering what I thought we were going to be at the beginning of the season.

I miss Brackett.... He was never the best at anything, but he was smart and solid... I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to us as a positions coach or something... I mostly agree w/ him about the game, too... If we can stop Rice and remember that Flacco is going to throw to his first read after a short drop, we can beat them handily...  I don't think you will see us blitz as much as we have throughout the season... I see us letting Freeney and Mathis come off the edge as much as possible... if we can grab the lead, I think we will see a lot of Butler in the nickel and hopefully a couple picks from him or Vontae... interesting read... glad to see that Brackett still uses "we" when talking about the Colts... I can't wait until Sunday... I honestly (one of the few that will admit it now) believed that we would be an intriguing 8-8 team at best this year, not a legit contender in a playoff matchup. I am loving every minute of this season!!!! :blueshoe:

This says it all about Dungy and his coaching staff before the Steelers 2005 game:

When you don’t have a plan B – like Pittsburgh, when they beat us in ’05, they had a plan B. They threw the football. We were not prepared for them to throw the football. Our defense was predicated on them running the football. So when they threw it, we were kind of scrambling a bit. (Former Colts safety) Mike Doss was kind of caught up in a run-game mode and a couple of times they ran past him on pass plays.

I guess he still live here...he could make big plays...

when he says,,.I guess I lost a couple of steps...I feel a little bad for him...

..I know he wishes he was still out there with this team...would love to see him coach our LBs but He'd be coaching a 3-4 defense style he never played

Ol Gary is giving Caldwell a little too much credit. Caldwell didn't understand what was going on when he was the head coach here, he sure don't know what is going on with the Colts defense now, in a new scheme with new players.

Oh come off it man, We went to the SB on Caldwells watch, if ya dont give credit to him then ya cant to Dungy and ya better believe Caldwell knows Freeney cant play the run to save his life

I want to see more of these interviews from Gary, he's smart and gives a lot of interesting insight. Sounds like a LB coach too me.

Agreed.  Gary has always been a good leader and an underrated player.  Him and Bob Sanders are two guys I would like to see on the Colts' sidelines

I'm sure you know more about Caldwell than Gary Brackett.

I have said it in prior post. As Rice goes so do the Ravens,  if Luck remains upright the Colts will beat the Ravens with no Problem.  This may sound crazy.  I say run it right at Lewis, he has not played in weeks.  Lets see what he has, make other player have to support him because he is not at 100%.  Challenge the Ravens corners and see what they have.  Contain Rice because you arent going to stop him, get at Flacco a couple of times and it is a wrap Colts win.  Take it to the bank and cash it.  Go Colts

Caldwell is the Ravens OC........we have almost an entirely new offense

Pagano is the Colts head coach.........he has practiced against that offense a lot

You decide.

I think Bracket's words are relevant, but nothing that both teams don't already know.

This says it all about Dungy and his coaching staff before the Steelers 2005 game:

When you don’t have a plan B – like Pittsburgh, when they beat us in ’05, they had a plan B. They threw the football. We were not prepared for them to throw the football. Our defense was predicated on them running the football. So when they threw it, we were kind of scrambling a bit. (Former Colts safety) Mike Doss was kind of caught up in a run-game mode and a couple of times they ran past him on pass plays.

That Pittsburgh game bothers me more than any other game.  My Steeler friend at work never gloated after that game, but I had been over confident that previous week just sure we had it in the bag.   That was supposed to be our freaking year.

Caldwell is intelligent, just not a leader of men.  I certainly don't think he gives an edge to the Ravens though.  

Gary is right, it's all about Flacco.  I'm afraid if we blitz him too much though, they might kill us with screens where Rice excels.   

Caldwell is the Ravens OC........we have almost an entirely new offense

Pagano is the Colts head coach.........he has practiced against that offense a lot

You decide.

I think Bracket's words are relevant, but nothing that both teams don't already know.

This cuts both ways though on the Pagano front.  That means they also know what Pagano wants to do with our D.  With that said they don't know our players in this defense yet though.  Although at this point there is enough tape out there on it for them to get a feel for it.  Don't forget we used the Arians Steelers offense as well and they played against that twice a year for a long time.  They will be familiar with us too so any advantage that either might get from this will probably end up as a push. 

As for the topic it's self I agree 100% go get Flacco.  If you get him under pressure he makes mistakes (like any QB).   If we can get a couple of these mistakes things might very well break our way.  Like most playoff games I think this comes down to which team turns the ball over less. 

Good stuff from my guy Gary Brackett.....I've always felt we stopped the run better against power O's than the cut-back O's like Houston. Glad to see he's still staying in Indy, and I'd love for him to be some sort of LB coach here.

'As many times as we tried to rest guys, to prepare for playoff teams, that works occasionally.'

^^^Truth

Oh come off it man, We went to the SB on Caldwells watch, if ya dont give credit to him then ya cant to Dungy and ya better believe Caldwell knows Freeney cant play the run to save his life

I'm sure you know more about Caldwell than Gary Brackett.

Aww! Isn't that sweet. Caldwell still has a couple of supporters. You guys defend him all you want, but I have no use for the man as a head coach. I am not saying anything about the man personally, just that he stunk as a HC and no matter what you guys or anybody else says to defend him, It's not going to change my mind.

I know somebody is going to tell me I'm smoking something, but I just keep getting this gut feeling we can stop their running game with a 7 man front. I know for sure we'll win if we can stay 2 deep man most of the game. Whether it be vs. the run or pass. I just have a great feeling we'll be able to pressure Flacco without blitzing.

GARY BRACKETT

On the importance of film.......

“My last couple of years, I was guilty of losing a few steps. But I was a good player because I could bring other players along. A (former Colts linebacker) Clint Session, who was still fast, strong, physical, I could teach him what I’m seeing. I could tell him, ‘Don’t take those false steps because that’s a false run read. Even (current Colts linebacker) Pat (Angerer). Just use his No. 1 strengths. This is how you approach the game, this is how you should play the game.”

On playoff momentum..........

“I think the playoffs are all about momentum. What team is coming in on what streak, who’s hot, who’s not. As many times as we tried to rest guys, to prepare for playoff teams, that works occasionally. But Indianapolis is coming in hot. Beating a good Houston team, playing their all-around game of the season. I think it’s going to be an emotional ballgame. I would go with the Colts this weekend. We can put up points. Our offense in the red zone, we can score with a lot of teams. It’s just a matter of our defense holding up and having a game plan together. I like (the Colts to win). I think it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 24-17.

great article!!!

i give a lot of credit to him for not holding back on his observations of colts players and coaches weaknesses and mistakes, even himself. i would love to hear more from him.

everything he said backs what i have been saying for a long time. freeney is only a pass rusher (not deserving the money he is getting), brecket lost a few steps (not deserving the money he was given in his last contract), and dungy not being a great coach.

That Pittsburgh game bothers me more than any other game.  My Steeler friend at work never gloated after that game, but I had been over confident that previous week just sure we had it in the bag.   That was supposed to be our freaking year.

i was at that game... i blame the loss on Nick Harper's wife!

Good stuff from my guy Gary Brackett.....I've always felt we stopped the run better against power O's than the cut-back O's like Houston. Glad to see he's still staying in Indy, and I'd love for him to be some sort of LB coach here.

'As many times as we tried to rest guys, to prepare for playoff teams, that works occasionally.'

^^^Truth

i would like to see him in the media in some way. i love to hear the opinions of most ex players (not the ones that just talk to talk), scouts, and coaches, rather than the opinions of someone that never played and just went to journalism school.

It's good that Gary Brackett said this. I heard that our Colts weren't planning on pressuring Flacco at all. Rather, we were planning to give him a comfy pocket and pay no attention to him whatsoever. I hope Gary (aka Mr Obvious) also suggests to our coaching staff to try and score more points than the Ravens. This would certainly help us, no?

Lets just hope Rice doesnt have a Charles/Hillis like game!  IF we hold Rice in check we will win the game!

I would actually disagree (with Gary) somewhat with the idea of placing special emphasis on getting to Flacco. 

I would poor all fronts into stopping Rice and MAKE Flacco beat us. 

As you said, Hawk, beat Rice and we win this game. 

I would actually disagree (with Gary) somewhat with the idea of placing special emphasis on getting to Flacco. 

I would poor all fronts into stopping Rice and MAKE Flacco beat us. 

As you said, Hawk, beat Rice and we win this game. 

I wanted to point out my misspelling before some other smarty pants does. 

"Pour"......I meant "pour".... :thmup:

“Our thing with Baltimore was, when their defense was a top-five defense, it was, ‘Hey defense, give us some time. Let us figure out what they’re doing defensively, then once we get it, we’ll win."

^^ That about sums up the entire Manning era defensive philosophy, right there. "Just hang on and hope Peyton can win us the game." As appreciative as I am of Dungy/Polian and what they brought to the city (a championship), I absolutely hated their approach to our defense, and am glad it is long gone.

Unrelated: How bad is it that our BEST linebacker for the last half decade can't even find work for a single franchise right now?

Aww! Isn't that sweet. Caldwell still has a couple of supporters. You guys defend him all you want, but I have no use for the man as a head coach. I am not saying anything about the man personally, just that he stunk as a HC and no matter what you guys or anybody else says to defend him, It's not going to change my mind.

:thmup:  ;) Well you do stick to your guns thats a good trait......Thats your story and your stickin to it so I wont try changin your mind, you have your opinion and I have mine, Thats what America is all about I guess

“Our thing with Baltimore was, when their defense was a top-five defense, it was, ‘Hey defense, give us some time. Let us figure out what they’re doing defensively, then once we get it, we’ll win."

^^ That about sums up the entire Manning era defensive philosophy, right there. "Just hang on and hope Peyton can win us the game." As appreciative as I am of Dungy/Polian and what they brought to the city (a championship), I absolutely hated their approach to our defense, and am glad it is long gone.

Unrelated: How bad is it that our BEST linebacker for the last half decade can't even find work for a single franchise right now?

Can almost make the case he was our best RELATIVELY HEALTHY Cover Man over that time period, 12 interceptions, Brackett was good, nothing special but I'd bring him on as a try out as a  backup if I was a team in need of a Interior Linebacker such as Minnesota for depth