Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears first team to request interview with Arians (merge)

HtownColt

Gut feeling is Irsay will give Arians a pay raise and upgrade and give him the assistant head coach title in order to get Arians to stay. Simply because Pagano said "We Can't Lose Arians" so I feel Irsay would do whatever he can to keep him here

@RapSheet: #Bears are 1st team to put in an interview request for #Colts OC Bruce Arians, I'm told. Won't be the last. #Chargers among those interested

Coaching suicide...go to a place where they were 10-6 with an problem child QB and the expectations are for you to beat that record... ?????

....just because they ask doesn't mean he's going. He is not that stupid.

Would not surprise me to see him gone, which is the opposite of how I felt a few weeks ago. The only way he doesn't go is if he decides he doesn't want the responsibility and prefers to just be in charge of the offense...which in that case he isn't going anywhere with such a young up and coming team like the Colts. My guess is after all the success he had this season as interim he leaves. He is just too hot not to receive an offer at this point, and I think he found the HC position very palatable this season to the point that he won't be content to simply be the OC.

Honestly, the guy wants to be a head coach, he got the perfect score on his test drive. He's out of here.

It's cool though. While I think Arians style probably maximized what the Colts could do this year (first in long passing plays) as the team get's better talent wise, there will be better schematic approaches that don't put Luck in such precarious situations (Sacks, Hits Incompletions, INT's all minimized).

Gut feeling is Irsay will give Arians a pay raise and upgrade and give him the assistant head coach title in order to get Arians to stay. Simply because Pagano said "We Can't Lose Arians" so I feel Irsay would do whatever he can to keep him here

I'm sure he will try to do this.  We all hope Chuck is fine moving forward, but you have to consider his health and where you would be in the event of a relapse.

Depending upon how the interviews and negotiations go, and what type of money is offered, it might be successful. 

He may want to go to a team with a better defense at this point with a younger #1 WR in Marshall, The O Line comparison is almost the same, neither Colts or Bears have all te pieces on th O Line, QB wise Cutler is good but not great, I could see Arians going to the Bears but they need more help on offense then an offensive minded HC

I thought the Bears were almost a perfect situation for Arians.  They have a very good defense, a couple of good RB's, and a very good QB.  In FA they can address the OL and bring in a couple more offensive skill players and they could be major contenders.  I really don't get the people saying that it'd be stupid for Arians to go there.  If I were him it'd be between Chicago and San Diego and between the 2 I think I'd choose Chicago.

I've seen some people say that Arians would want his own young QB to groom, but honestly, how much time do you think he has to groom that QB to be successful.  Arians is already 60 so the best fit for him is a team that's poised to win sooner rather than later.  Chicago definitely fits that bill. 

He may want to go to a team with a better defense at this point with a younger #1 WR in Marshall, The O Line comparison is almost the same, neither Colts or Bears have all te pieces on th O Line, QB wise Cutler is good but not great, I could see Arians going to the Bears but they need more help on offense then an offensive minded HC

Suicide,..Gavin....trust me..Urlacher will probably retire.......

...Hester says he'll retire......theonly team with a worse O-line is Indy and Cutler has been average for 7 years,..

..and if you inherit a 10-6 team..and you dont go at least 10-6, guess what?.....you're fired..after one year.

B. Arians may listen to San Diego..but I'd bet cash money he wont go to Chicago

Suicide,..Gavin....trust me..Urlacher will probably retire.......

...Hester says he'll retire......theonly team with a worse O-line is Indy and Cutler has been average for 7 years,..

..and if you inherit a 10-6 team..and you dont go at least 10-6, guess what?.....you're fired..after one year.

B. Arians may listen to San Diego..but I'd bet cash money he wont go to Chicago

What about the Raiders' recent head coaching history suggests that they'd fire Arians after one year?

13 Mike Ditka19821992 168 106 62 0 .631 12 6 6 NFL Championship (1985)

20px-StarIconGreen.pngAP Coach of the Year (1985, 1988)[19]

20px-StarIconGreen.pngPro Football Weekly Coach of the Year (1988)[20]

20px-StarIconGreen.pngSporting News Coach of the Year (1985)[21]

20px-StarIconGreen.pngUPI NFC Coach of the Year (1985, 1988)[22] 14 Dave Wannstedt 19931998 96 40 56 0 .417 2 1 1 20px-StarIconBronze.pngUPI NFC Coach of the Year (1994)[23] 15 Dick Jauron 19992003 80 35 45 0 .438 1 0 1 20px-StarIconBronze.pngAP Coach of the Year (2001)

20px-StarIconBronze.pngPro Football Weekly Coach of the Year (2001)[24]

20px-StarIconBronze.pngSporting News Coach of the Year (2001) 16 Lovie Smith * 20042012 144 81 63 0 .563 6 3 3

20px-StarIconBronze.pngAP Coach of the Year (2005)[25]

20px-StarIconBronze.pngPro Football Weekly Coach of the Year (2005)[26]

They kept Lovie for 8 years, Jauron for 4 years, Wannstedt for 5 years.  They're not the Raiders, they wouldn't fire Arians after one season. And Cutler is well above average as far as QB's go.  He's also had been surrounded by questionable offensive coordinators for the past few years. 

What about the Raiders' recent head coaching history suggests that they'd fire Arians after one year?

20px-StarIconGreen.pngUPI NFC Coach of the Year (1985, 1988)[22] 14 Dave Wannstedt 19931998 96 40 56 0 .417 2 1 1 20px-StarIconBronze.pngUPI NFC Coach of the Year (1994)[23] 15 Dick Jauron 19992003 80 35 45 0 .438 1 0 1 20px-StarIconBronze.pngAP Coach of the Year (2001)

20px-StarIconBronze.pngSporting News Coach of the Year (2001) 16 Lovie Smith * 20042012 144 81 63 0 .563 6 3 3

They kept Lovie for 8 years, Jauron for 4 years, Wannstedt for 5 years.  They're not the Raiders, they wouldn't fire Arians after one season. And Cutler is well above average as far as QB's go.  He's also had been surrounded by questionable offensive coordinators for the past few years. 

and no wr's till Brandon Marshall came along

I believe Irsay is going to keep him around because he wants to groom Luck up right.  If the team gets another OC Luck has to learn that system, Irsay isnt a stupid man he knows that getting a new OC is not smart.  Arians will be with the Colts next year. 

Arians gets along with his quarterbacks.  If anyone can "fix" Cutler, it's him.  I want him to stay, but he actually might do well there.

The way you phrased that sentence is exactly correct....'If anyone"

But you guys may not know the mood in Chicago....They were 7-1 and then 10-6.....if the new coach doesn't go 10-6....he's gone.

Its a trap......the defense is old..a lot of 30-somethings....and they draft low because they were 10-6

...its just a mistake....

But you guys may not know the mood in Chicago....They were 7-1 and then 10-6.....if the new coach doesn't go 10-6....he's gone.

Its a trap......the defense is old..a lot of 30-somethings....and they draft low because they were 10-6

There is no way the next HC of Chicago gets canned after one year.  There are several franchises that might do something like that, but the Bears aren't one of them.  And it's not a matter of "fixing" Cutler.  It's not like he is Alex Smith.  Eli Manning was looking below average for several years until the giants finally got some stability at OC. 

1) The atmosphere in Chicago is not beyond comprehension. 

2) If Arians takes that job and goes 10-6 next year, he will positively not be fired.  That is absurd. 

3) Arians, or anyone else who takes that job is certainly smart enough to know there is work to be done on the roster.  That is not a news flash.

4) Again, being the lead dog is a big deal to most guys.

Short of making him the head coach, there is nothing Irsay could do to make him stay.  He's gone if offered a HC job IMO.

Short of making him the head coach, there is nothing Irsay could do to make him stay. He's gone if offered a HC job IMO.

The cowboys did it with Jason Garrett. In fact he was getting paid more than Wade Phillips. Not saying Arians will get a raise and get paid more than Pagano but it has been done, giving a coordinator a pay raise and stuff to get him to stay. But as for Arians, what a difference a year makes

I agree. Don't get where oldunclemark is saying career suicide or he'll get fired after 1 yr.. Chicago has been pretty loyal to their coaches, almost too loyal IMO.

Arians is definitely going...I listened to his local media interview before the second Titans game and he told them "The goal is always to become a Head Coach"....that's all I needed to know. Granted, its tough to change systems but I dont think it will be hard to find talent at OC...last year folks were begged to come here and some still refused. This year coaches and players see the raw potential and will want to be a part of it

The cowboys did it with Jason Garrett. In fact he was getting paid more than Wade Phillips. Not saying Arians will get a raise and get paid more than Pagano but it has been done, giving a coordinator a pay raise and stuff to get him to stay. But as for Arians, what a difference a year makes

Well there's a difference with the Garrett situation though.  Garrett was still young enough that he could stick around for a while if promised that he'd be the next head coach.  That's not the case with Arians.  Pagano is going to be here for a while so Arians won't have a chance to be HC here unless, heaven forbid, Pagano has a huge setback and has to retire prematurely.

I agree. Don't get where oldunclemark is saying career suicide or he'll get fired after 1 yr.. Chicago has been pretty loyal to their coaches, almost too loyal IMO.

Yeah...now if the argument were that he could make more money here as an OC than in Chicago as a HC then I might be able to see that.  Chicago has been historically frugal when it comes to their HC and Irsay is about the complete opposite of that.  I could see Irsay offering BA more money to stay here as OC than he'd get in Chicago to be HC.  However, if Arians' ultimate goal is to be a HC, which it appears that it is from what he's said, then staying here will not help him reach that goal.

Arians is definitely going...I listened to his local media interview before the second Titans game and he told them "The goal is always to become a Head Coach"....that's all I needed to know. Granted, its tough to change systems but I dont think it will be hard to find talent at OC...last year folks were begged to come here and some still refused. This year coaches and players see the raw potential and will want to be a part of it

1) Saying he is "definitely" going is a stretch.  It does take a team to decide they want him and while he clearly did well this year, there is more to it than that.

2) Who were the people that were begged to come to Indy and did not? 

1) Saying he is "definitely" going is a stretch.  It does take a team to decide they want him and while he clearly did well this year, there is more to it than that.

2) Who were the people that were begged to come to Indy and did not? 

Pittsburgh's LB coach for D Coordinator off the top of the dome....and he is definitely going...if San Diego or Chicago make an offer he'll take it...