Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Policy on any Potential Arians Interviews....

NewColtsFan

A good story from ESPN's AFC South Blogger, Paul Kuharsky....

Who do NFL teams that wish to interview Bruce Arians go about this?    There are NFL rules in place.

More than I would have expected.

I expect Arians to be interviewed.    I think he's going to win the NFL Coach of the Year award.   I don't see how he wins that award and DOESN'T get an interview.

Right now,  San Diego is team that appears to be interested in Arians.   That's according to multiple stories on NFL.com

Here's Kuharsky's story....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/45805/the-policy-dictating-potential-arians-interviews

Chargers always trying to get the Best of us. Didn't they get enough of that when they always whooped us in the Peyton Manning Era? That playoff loss where Cromartie had that freakish 1 handed INT still haunts me. I think that was a playoff game.. hmmm I could be wrong

Chargers always trying to get the Best of us. Didn't they get enough of that when they always whooped us in the Peyton Manning Era? That playoff loss where Cromartie had that freakish 1 handed INT still haunts me. I think that was a playoff game.. hmmm I could be wrong

That was a regular season game. The one where Peyton threw six ints and still could have won it if Vinni would have made the field goal.

If there's an assistant coach in the NFL who has earned a head coaching job this year, it's Bruce Arians. I dislike some of his gameplanning and play calling, but he did a great job for us, and I think he deserves at least an interview or two.

I'm not trying to push him out the door, but if he does leave, I think it would provide us with an opportunity to replace him with a coordinator that will do more with his play calling to make up for the biggest weakness on our offense, the line play.

That was a regular season game. The one where Peyton threw six ints and still could have won it if Vinni would have made the field goal.

I was at that game.  I was getting bashed on all night long by these drunk frat kids up until Vini was kicking that last field goal.  Then they bashed on me some more after he missed it lol.  Even some young preteen girls were making fun of me -_-.

Anyways, back to the topic.  Arians deserve a shot at being a HC somewhere, but I feel like he can do big things with Luck and co.  So much so that it might even be a mistake for him to take a job elsewhere, because of the potential this team has.

The best thing we can do to keep Arians as our coach is to keep winning in the playoffs.  Look no further than Pagano last year.  Most people think had the Ravens won the AFCCG last year we would have probably hired someone else as our coach as we would have probably not waited two more weeks to hire our coach. 

That was easily the strangest game I have ever seen in my life.  It started out raining in San Diego, six Peyton INTs, Us playing with WRs we signed off the street, Us being down to one tackle, center, and three guards for the o-line, a TD return by us that was called back by a bad whistle by the refs, giving up two returns for TDs.  It was almost fitting it ended on a missed Adam kick. 

The best thing we can do to keep Arians as our coach is to keep winning in the playoffs.  Look no further than Pagano last year.  Most people think had the Ravens won the AFCCG last year we would have probably hired someone else as our coach as we would have probably not waited two more weeks to hire our coach. 

Yeah the longer we are in the playoffs the longer other teams have to wait to interview him and most teams want to get their coach in place as soon as possible and starting figuring out the gameplan for the offseason.

Unless we go to the AFCCG or Super Bowl we can pretty much kiss Bruce goodbye unless he is crazy loyal. I think he did a fantastic job with this team and has definitely earned a head coaching job some where else.

I agree that BA has earned the opportunity, but I really hope he stays. I just feel really good about the staff that Grigson & Pagano have put together, along with a foundation of promising young players. I would love to see them keep this group together for a few years, but if BA gets the chance, I'd wish him the best & thank him for stepping up so well this year.

Am I the only one a LITTLE Nervous about Bruce Arians leaving? Are we really gonna make Andrew Luck learn TWO Offenses in TWO Years? Idk about you guys, but that has me thinking "Sophomore Slump" for Andrew Luck

Why? He's a fast learner, plus if we go WCO, he already knows it.

I get what you're saying but idk, I'm shaky about it

Well we've all heard horror stories about 2nd year slumps and how multiple OCs can hurt a QBs progression. It's understood. I'm slightly worried about a 2nd OC because he might not be that good, depending on who it is.

Well we've all heard horror stories about 2nd year slumps and how multiple OCs can hurt a QBs progression. It's understood. I'm slightly worried about a 2nd OC because he might not be that good, depending on who it is.

Norv Turner I'd think. They take our coach, we take theirs

Am I the only one a LITTLE Nervous about Bruce Arians leaving? Are we really gonna make Andrew Luck learn TWO Offenses in TWO Years? Idk about you guys, but that has me thinking "Sophomore Slump" for Andrew Luck

Sophomore slump? The guy turned the ball over 23 times this year. I don't think he's going to go backward just because of a coordinator change. Luck will survive the loss of Bruce Arians, I'm sure.

Sophomore slump? The guy turned the ball over 23 times this year. I don't think he's going to go backward just because of a coordinator change. Luck will survive the loss of Bruce Arians, I'm sure.

I get what you're saying. Maybe it's just me. I think I worry too much

He learned this offense in a shortened off season I'm sure he will be fine

I get what you're saying. Maybe it's just me. I think I worry too much

I completely understand your concern, but I will point out, in addition to the points made by other posters, that....

If Luck had to play his first 2 seasons under two different coordinators, I think B.A. being the first of the two works out pretty well. B.A. basically threw Andrew to the lions this season, which has prepared him to do things in the offense that rookies are not normally asked to do. Hopefully the added responsibility of having to throw down-field with defenders hanging from you will make anything he has to learn in a new scheme easier to pull off for him ... There hasn't been great chemistry or timing between Luck and any of the receivers this year except for Reggie and maybe Allen... Hilton and Avery get open running go routes... I guess I'd have to know who was replacing B.A. to really delve into my feelings about it... I'm not crazy about unknowns...

A couple concerns about having a new O.C. that have popped up in my head while writing this post:

1. personnel- I don't know if any coordinator other than B.A. would prefer the small speedy guys that we have over tall, physical guys... T.Y. has a chance to be an outside guy under Arians, but will probably be permanantly relegated to the slot under anyone else... dunno if that is good or bad... believe it or not, we do actually have some tall and/or physical players to catch endzone passes and block as it is [(Fleener/Allen/Reggie) Reggie is a vastly underrated blocker, and a sneakily physical receiver, but not a great jumper]

2. control- Arians had a reputation when he came here as a guy with a system who was going to run that system regardless of personnel... I think we have seen however (more at the end of the reg. season), that he is willing to alter the system to fit the strengths of the team... if we bring another guy in here, will he come with a system and will he want to find his own player-types to run it?

B.A.'s personality seems to fit this team and we are winning as a result of the cohesion and chemistry that we have between the players and the staff... I know that Chuck sets the tone, but we can't have dissonance in the locker room with such a young team.

If we do end up with someone else, we need a full off-season and preseason to get the playbook down and develop timing. Don't forget that we will have some new faces and some players returning from injury that will be starting basically from scratch anyway... so... I don't think that the sky is falling, but I have been so pleasantly surprised with Arians this year that I do hope he comes back to nourish what he has helped build... Who knows, maybe Ken Whisenhunt is Andrew's offensive soul mate. I guess it is too early to know anything atm.

I hope BA stays....because he is indeed pretty BA at getting his players playing for him.

If he does leave, I hope he doesn't go to San Diego.....he'd have to deal with Crybaby Rivers everyday.

I would actually like to see that now. Arians seems like the type to bench Rivers's butt if he runs off his mouth too much. I'd love to see that.

A good story from ESPN's AFC South Blogger, Paul Kuharsky....

Who do NFL teams that wish to interview Bruce Arians go about this?    There are NFL rules in place.

More than I would have expected.

I expect Arians to be interviewed.    I think he's going to win the NFL Coach of the Year award.   I don't see how he wins that award and DOESN'T get an interview.

Right now,  San Diego is team that appears to be interested in Arians.   That's according to multiple stories on NFL.com

Here's Kuharsky's story....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/45805/the-policy-dictating-potential-arians-interviews

Actually according to this article at NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121577/article/chicago-bears-request-to-interview-colts-bruce-arians

The chargers have not requested a interview. And the Bears are the only team that have, so far.

Hey guys, Charger fan here. I was wondering whats your guys opinion on Bruce Arians.

I personally am not a fan of the guy as HC. He's old and from the Colts games I have watched, I don't think he's a very good playcaller even for you guys. I have lurked around here before and noticed that many here say that Luck's success has come inspite of Arians. Would you say that is true?

Also while everyone wants to give credit for Arians for Indy makin the playoffs this year, I think your team was already highly motivated. It was already motivated because of Pagano's medical problem. While Arians does have some input in the success, I don't think he deserves as much credit as everyone else gives him. To each his own though.

LIke one of the posters from our message board said, the Colts are about -40 in point differential right now. The average NFL team with that point spread over the last decade is 6-10. Indy has just managed to win close games, which is generally a fluky trend from year to year (i.e. not a player/coach skillset).  That too considering Colts had a relatively easy schedule this season.

In my eyes, Arians is a 60 year old coach who has never had experience as a winning HC prior to this one year. His record in college as a HC is awful. He took over for a Colts team that was inspired because of the HC fighting for his life.

I just don't see him as a good for the Chargers. Our offense is horrible and needs work. We have a franchise QB but that's it. Our OL is terrible and we don't have any true #1 WRs. Our best recieving threat is getting old as dirt in Gates. We just had an "offensive guru" HC who inherited a 14-2 championship caliber team and ruined it into a team that hasn't won a playoff game in over 4 years.

I have heard that due to Arians playcalling, Luck has nearly gotten killed this season. Our OL is worse than yours and Luck is at least 100 times more mobile than Rivers. That spells doom imo. Norv was a stubborn playcaller who drove the fans nuts (and eventually drove him out of SD) and from this forum, I have heard  that Arians is one too. Stubborn playcalling + always going for the deep pass + horrible O line + immobile QB = '12 San Diego Chargers offense (31st ranked offense in the NFL)

So as you probably guessed by now, I am very much against the Bolts hiring Arians as HC. I just don't think he has the qualifications for our job. Maybe another HC gig might work for him (but imo he should stay as OC here)

Thoughts?

Hey guys, Charger fan here. I was wondering whats your guys opinion on Bruce Arians.

I personally am not a fan of the guy as HC. He's old and from the Colts games I have watched, I don't think he's a very good playcaller even for you guys. I have lurked around here before and noticed that many here say that Luck's success has come inspite of Arians. Would you say that is true?

Also while everyone wants to give credit for Arians for Indy makin the playoffs this year, I think your team was already highly motivated. It was already motivated because of Pagano's medical problem. While Arians does have some input in the success, I don't think he deserves as much credit as everyone else gives him. To each his own though.

LIke one of the posters from our message board said, the Colts are about -40 in point differential right now. The average NFL team with that point spread over the last decade is 6-10. Indy has just managed to win close games, which is generally a fluky trend from year to year (i.e. not a player/coach skillset).  That too considering Colts had a relatively easy schedule this season.

In my eyes, Arians is a 60 year old coach who has never had experience as a winning HC prior to this one year. His record in college as a HC is awful. He took over for a Colts team that was inspired because of the HC fighting for his life.

I just don't see him as a good for the Chargers. Our offense is horrible and needs work. We have a franchise QB but that's it. Our OL is terrible and we don't have any true #1 WRs. Our best recieving threat is getting old as dirt in Gates. We just had an "offensive guru" HC who inherited a 14-2 championship caliber team and ruined it into a team that hasn't won a playoff game in over 4 years.

I have heard that due to Arians playcalling, Luck has nearly gotten killed this season. Our OL is worse than yours and Luck is at least 100 times more mobile than Rivers. That spells doom imo. Norv was a stubborn playcaller who drove the fans nuts (and eventually drove him out of SD) and from this forum, I have heard  that Arians is one too. Stubborn playcalling + always going for the deep pass + horrible O line + immobile QB = '12 San Diego Chargers offense (31st ranked offense in the NFL)

So as you probably guessed by now, I am very much against the Bolts hiring Arians as HC. I just don't think he has the qualifications for our job. Maybe another HC gig might work for him (but imo he should stay as OC here)

Thoughts?

If you really want to know feelings on Bruce Arians, there's a ton of ammo, errrr, info, throughout posts over the past couple months.

My short answer to your question is that I think he was a much better head coach over the past three months than he was coordinator or play caller. I think he deserves a top gig, and I think he earned it the best way you can, by actually proving he could do the job. If he hires an offensive coordinator and gives up play calling duties, you'll get the positives and minimize some of the negatives. His players always love him, he has a ton of personality, he's a hundred times more lively than the crypt keeper you just got rid of, and he's hungry.

Just grab the playsheet from him, and you'll be fine.

Also, you have a franchise quarterback??? LOL! ;)

If you really want to know feelings on Bruce Arians, there's a ton of ammo, errrr, info, throughout posts over the past couple months.

My short answer to your question is that I think he was a much better head coach over the past three months than he was coordinator or play caller. I think he deserves a top gig, and I think he earned it the best way you can, by actually proving he could do the job. If he hires an offensive coordinator and gives up play calling duties, you'll get the positives and minimize some of the negatives. His players always love him, he has a ton of personality, he's a hundred times more lively than the crypt keeper you just got rid of, and he's hungry.

Just grab the playsheet from him, and you'll be fine.

Also, you have a franchise quarterback??? LOL! ;)

Yea but see thats just the thing, us Bolts fans don't want a HC that the players are gonna "love". We want a tough minded HC that will discipline players when necessary and bring that mean streak to our team. Norv was also a guy who our players loved so we don't care about that anymore.

And after looking up some inforamtion on him, I don't think Arians seems like the kind of guy who would give up playcalling duties. I think he may actually see that as a good quality in himself ;)

Come on man, prior to these past 2 years, Rivers was seen as a top 5 QB in the NFL. But then due to brillance from AJ Smith and Norv, our OL turned into one that would not even be able to hold up against college D lines and we lost weapons like Jackson and Sproles. But with a good new coach and hopefully some nice rookies filling in at that OL, Rivers will get back to pro bowl form :)

Thoughts?

Arians is a good motivator, All of what you say is true in regards to Arians playcalling, for example throwing on some 3rd and shorts, his refusal to aknowledge that Luck is mobile and that rolling him out of the pocket sometimes behind our awful O Line would help, Arians was however the O Coordinator during the '09 Steeler SB run where they were a to 10 team in total offense and were 12th in the league in scoring offense. Arians has been a predictable playcaller though more often then not. Thes are the playcalling formation splits according to SI.com http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/25711/passing_splits.html (Last games stats have not been taken into account yet though)

Yea but see thats just the thing, us Bolts fans don't want a HC that the players are gonna "love". We want a tough minded HC that will discipline players when necessary and bring that mean streak to our team. Norv was also a guy who our players loved so we don't care about that anymore.

And after looking up some inforamtion on him, I don't think Arians seems like the kind of guy who would give up playcalling duties. I think he may actually see that as a good quality in himself ;)

Come on man, prior to these past 2 years, Rivers was seen as a top 5 QB in the NFL. But then due to brillance from AJ Smith and Norv, our OL turned into one that would not even be able to hold up against college D lines and we lost weapons like Jackson and Sproles. But with a good new coach and hopefully some nice rookies filling in at that OL, Rivers will get back to pro bowl form :)

The problem is that Norv was/is a bad head coach. I don't know that Arians would be better, but I get the feeling he would be. He might not be the kind of disciplinarian you think your team should have (I've never thought that was all that important, to be honest, but different strokes I guess). He's not going to bring any kind of mean streak; I'd look to a defensive coordinator to do that (Mike Singletary?)

As for his play calling, I agree, he'd be unlikely to relinquish those duties, but if I were hiring him, it would be a condition of his employment, a deal-breaker, if push comes to shove. That would be the case even if I didn't have a problem with his play calling, because I don't think the head coach should be calling plays if it's at all avoidable. It was tolerable for us while Arians was in charge, given the circumstances, but by design? Never, not if it's up to me.

Rivers is good. Two really ugly years, and maybe he never gets back to his previous form, but I was just giving you a hard time. You could do a lot worse than Rivers right now. I hate the way he throws, but dude has proven to be a good quarterback. He just needed a Norv-ectomy.

I don't routinely follow the Chargers. To be honest, when Peyton Manning was INDY's QB the 2 teams I dreaded facing the most were the Patriots due to Ty Law & the Chargers due to Eric Weddle. Both men seemed to present a thorn in the side to #18. 

Superman is right though. Norv Turner is a great OC, but he has no business being an HC. It is an interesting question to ask though. What is Arians management style? Is he hands on? Or does he let the elder veterans discipline themselves? Can Bruce coach defense or is he strictly a WCO ariel assault kind of guy? How does Bruce motivate an entire locker room when he inserts a game plan against a new opponent? 

Bruce is very good at keeping starting QB's calm in the pocket after throwing picks though. Peyton Manning, Big Ben, & Andrew Luck can all attest to that fact. Phillip Rivers would love him. 

Bottom line...Bruce deserves a HC shot in a city with a solid QB & Rivers would give him stability & Phillip already loves to throw the ball anyway as opposed to handing it off.