Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No one is talking about Brady for MVP

Snowglobe

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness to Snowglobe and my NE friends on here, I do respect Tom Brady for poking fun at his celebrity status. This TV commercial always cracks me up for some reason. Kudos Tom! ;) :flyingelvis:

Ah, the good old days...I really do miss those...#18 vs #12...Two great zen masters slice up NFL secondaries...Yes I know, the past is just that the past...

I remember a few years ago, I think it was a Pats/Chiefs game (maybe the Pats fans on the board can confirm this or correct it), but the Pats were up big and they put in their backup. The backup's first throw was a pick 6 and they quickly put Brady back in. Scores can be made easily (look at such comebacks like the recent Miracle at the Meadowlands or Peyton's comeback against the Bucs), so some teams feel like they should keep their foot on the gas (especially if they have poor defenses, like the Saints or Packers)

Good memory, but it was actually Pats-Dolphins, in 2007. Cassel came in, threw a pick-six to Jason Taylor, and then Belichick put Brady back in. They scored one more TD and then he lifted him again.

Blown out bad by the Pats huh?? Did you even watch the game? Had it not been for a fumble the Broncos were on their way to beating the Pats. The Broncos in the second quarter went down and started stomping the Pats Defense. The Pats defense was not the reason for the fumble either. That was on the RB. Simply gave it up. So to flagrantly state they 'blew out' teams is just ludicrous.

However I have no respect for the Patriots organization. Billechick is a liar and a cheat so is McDaniels. When an organization conducts business as such, I will never respect them. My distaste for the Patriots goes far beyond being 'just a Colts fan' as some have interpreted the reason to be for the dislike.

You are a classic hater, my friend.

The only reason the Broncos HAD the ball, trailing by 10 still, was because on the possession before McGahee's fumble, Stevan Ridley coughed it up.

But you left that part out, probably because it wasn't convenient to your imaginary world story.

And the last part, well... says a lot about your objectivity as a football fan. I'm not stating that as a criticism, but don't masquerade your heavily biased opinions as facts. Even as a Patriots fan I have no issues admitting that Manning is an all-time great QB. It doesn't somehow discredit Brady to do that.

Luckly for all of us your opinion is nullified by the fact those teams are terrible. They rank low on both sides of the ball. That cannot be ignored. If you think playing an incredibly sunk team like the Jets is TOUGH, i'd hate to see what playing a team like the Texans will be... 'impossible??'

http://www.boston.co...nHqM/story.html

In the last four games, the Patriots have scored 190 points. That's more than the 1990 Patriots team had for their entire season. Brady hasn't thrown an interception since the first week of October.

If you think it's easy to score almost 200 points in four games, against ANY four teams in the NFL, you have not been watching football for too long.

Expectations are so high for Tom Brady that he sort of goes under the radar in MVP discussions, almost annually. But make no mistake, the Patriots only go as far as he takes them. His margin for error these days is not what it was back in 2001-2004.

There are a lot of worthy candidates for this year's MVP, but I really don't care who wins it. As a fan the only thing that matters to me is winning championships and taking full advantage of an era where the Patriots are a powerhouse team. It will not last forever, I know that... I sat through that 1990 season, and many others like it.

You are a classic hater, my friend.

The only reason the Broncos HAD the ball, trailing by 10 still, was because on the possession before McGahee's fumble, Stevan Ridley coughed it up.

But you left that part out, probably because it wasn't convenient to your imaginary world story.

And the last part, well... says a lot about your objectivity as a football fan. I'm not stating that as a criticism, but don't masquerade your heavily biased opinions as facts. Even as a Patriots fan I have no issues admitting that Manning is an all-time great QB. It doesn't somehow discredit Brady to do that.

http://www.boston.co...nHqM/story.html

In the last four games, the Patriots have scored 190 points. That's more than the 1990 Patriots team had for their entire season. Brady hasn't thrown an interception since the first week of October.

If you think it's easy to score almost 200 points in four games, against ANY four teams in the NFL, you have not been watching football for too long.

Expectations are so high for Tom Brady that he sort of goes under the radar in MVP discussions, almost annually. But make no mistake, the Patriots only go as far as he takes them. His margin for error these days is not what it was back in 2001-2004.

There are a lot of worthy candidates for this year's MVP, but I really don't care who wins it. As a fan the only thing that matters to me is winning championships and taking full advantage of an era where the Patriots are a powerhouse team. It will not last forever, I know that... I sat through that 1990 season, and many others like it.

I've made no secret is dislike the Patriots organization for the things they do. Nothing nor you will ever change my mind. I'm like an elephant, I never forget. And whike you spend so much effort trying to convince everyone and me your right you miss my point.

I dont understand why you think everyone should like the Patriots. Notice I'm stating Patriots, but you refuse to acknowledge or see that. Your too busy talking about Brady in a post when I specifically said the Patriot organization.

I dont know why you just cant accept the fact I just dont like the Patriots. So what. Get over it man. Move on.org.gov.com.edu...

I've made no secret is dislike the Patriots organization for the things they do. Nothing nor you will ever change my mind. I'm like an elephant, I never forget. And whike you spend so much effort trying to convince everyone and me your right you miss my point.

I dont understand why you think everyone should like the Patriots. Notice I'm stating Patriots, but you refuse to acknowledge or see that. Your too busy talking about Brady in a post when I specifically said the Patriot organization.

I dont know why you just cant accept the fact I just dont like the Patriots. So what. Get over it man. Move on.org.gov.com.edu...

I don't care if you, or anyone really, "likes" the Patriots. Honestly, why would that matter to me? You hate the Patriots for all the right reasons, from a New England fan's perspective. No one hates crappy teams that never win anything. (Except their own fans.)

This thread is about Tom Brady's viability as an MVP candidate. He's pretty quietly having a fantastic season, and as usual the Patriots are looking to finish strong.

I don't care if you, or anyone really, "likes" the Patriots. Honestly, why would that matter to me? You hate the Patriots for all the right reasons, from a New England fan's perspective. No one hates crappy teams that never win anything. (Except their own fans.)

This thread is about Tom Brady's viability as an MVP candidate. He's pretty quietly having a fantastic season, and as usual the Patriots are looking to finish strong.

lmao now thats not true... I really dislike the Chargers.. haha ;)

But Peyton Manning will be the MVP...right? It will be a unanimous vote...right? Its not all about stats. Just trying to be real..

But Peyton Manning will be the MVP...right? It will be a unanimous vote...right? Its not all about stats. Just trying to be real..

I would not disagree or have any major issues if Manning won it... like I've said before, over the years I've developed a very high level of respect for him. Especially in the sense that the post-2007 Patriots have relied on Brady much in the same way that the Colts teams in the earlier part of the decade relied on Manning.

Lots of good choices this year, and it'll be intriguing to watch it all play out if no player separates himself in the last few weeks of the season...

haha, yes because those guys that surrounded Peyton are all Pro bowl, HOFer, big name guys huh. Biggest name guys Manning has had was Harrison and Wayne. Remind me where the co-stars of the Manning era are now and what they are doing in way of production.

Gonzo, clark, garcon, addai, collie, white, tamme, rhodes, ect..

Tamme is with Peyton, I get that, but what is his production or lack there of.

We could go forever back and forth. Personally, i'm just gonna enjoy the funny YouTube videos of these two.

Holy dear god.

Are you trying to reconstruct history and dare to say that Dallas Clark was not considered a top 5 TE during his days with Peyton? Because he certainly was. And are we forgetting about Marcus Pollard, who was a pretty good TE when he was here in Indy?

Edgerrin James had a pretty fantastic career here in Indy. Addai, not so much.

Peyton had the most weapons on offense up until his last few years. From 1998-2007 or so, he had one of the most stacked offenses in the NFL.

You could say he doesn't have weapons this year; DeMaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Brandon Stokley? Decker and Thomas didn't even have 1,000 yards in their career. Thomas has his for this year and Decker will be following. Stokley never did a darned thing without Peyton. Anyone can throw names out in laughable derision, but we all know both QBs elevate their weapon's ability.

Gee, maybe those WRs didn't have stats because they had Tim Freakin' Tebow throwing to them? Or Kyle Orton?

Perhaps THAT'S why they didn't have the stats? Just maybe?

Holy dear god.

Are you trying to reconstruct history and dare to say that Dallas Clark was not considered a top 5 TE during his days with Peyton? Because he certainly was. And are we forgetting about Marcus Pollard, who was a pretty good TE when he was here in Indy?

Edgerrin James had a pretty fantastic career here in Indy. Addai, not so much.

Peyton had the most weapons on offense up until his last few years. From 1998-2007 or so, he had one of the most stacked offenses in the NFL.

But god forbid we mention Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Moss.. la, la, la... total busts. He really needs some better receivers :devil: ;)

But god forbid we mention Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Moss.. la, la, la... total busts. He really needs some better receivers :devil: ;)

You're changing the goal posts.

I originally claimed that Brady had crap to work with in '05, '06, etc. Particularly in '06.

Peyton's never had to work with such a lack of weapons.

Again, RECHE "Bugeyes" Caldwell was his #1 weapon in '06.

There are all great players and/or work well with Brady (for example Welker) and they all have had an impact in helping the Pats offense and the passing game . . .and it is no surprise that the pats passing attack has gardnered more passing yards in the last 5 years, helped to by a change in philopshy of the pats offense . . .Brady certainly was teh beneficiary of this but he was a important part of it too . . . unlike some who think that all things QB are "me, myself and I" and that all centers around the QB, its a team game and a QB needs parts around him to perform, oline, wr/te, rbs, etc . . . surely he helps out a great degree and needs to be given credit for this, but he needs parts around him to perform at his best . . . i think there are a few too many that think is all a QB thing . . .it is really more of a function of how well does he perform with what is given him . . .

Just recently, Brady passed Steve Young for career passer rating . . . for those who like passer rating . . .

Look at the end of the day, I have a ton of respect for Tom Brady. If he wins the MVP Award this year, I will be perfectly fine with it. #12 is reliable, tough, clutch, & wicked smart. Just give the Comeback Player of the Year to Peyton Manning not Vikings RB Adrian Peterson. Nothing against Adrian personally, I just think #18 has faced much more severe obstacles this year.

Like I always tell GoPats, Brady will win 4 SuperBowls, perhaps even at the end of this NFL season too. Let the backlash begin...Hmmm...I wonder how many people will call me a Quisling and a traitor now? haha

Fine, call me whatever you want. I know talent when I see it & both Tom Brady & Peyton Manning are HOF field generals of the highest caliber & darn nice guys too. :thmup:

Look at the end of the day, I have a ton of respect for Tom Brady. If he wins the MVP Award this year, I will be perfectly fine with it. #12 is reliable, tough, clutch, & wicked smart. Just give the Comeback Player of the Year to Peyton Manning not Vikings RB Adrian Peterson. Nothing against Adrian personally, I just think #18 has faced much more severe obstacles this year.

Like I always tell GoPats, Brady will win 4 SuperBowls, perhaps even at the end of this NFL season too. Let the backlash begin...Hmmm...I wonder how many people will call me a Quisling and a traitor now? haha

Fine, call me whatever you want. I know talent when I see it & both Tom Brady & Peyton Manning are HOF field generals of the highest caliber & darn nice guys too. :thmup:

You TRAITOR! ;) how dare you acknowledge Brady being something other than a thorn in Colts fans sides for upteen years.. :lol: :scared:

it will be interesting to see how the last 5 weeks turn out . . . and yes Brady is not getting a lot of talk for MVP eventhough he is as important to his teams as any other QB in the league, , , if a QB is to win the MVP this year . . .

One thing that I always look at is beyond the stats, and not get too involved with the stats that are tradtionally viewed by the QB - TDs, comp%, yards, ints, etc . . . as some times play calling and luck can change teh stat . . . the QB throws the ball and the WR lands at the one inch line and the team decides to punch it in with a rushing TD . . . the QB, even tho he lead the drive down field, does not get a passing TD, even tho he did the work to help he team get into position . . . if we look at the passing TDs and overall TDs of some of the teams with top QBs we see the following: first is passing TD, then rushing TD, then total

Pats 24 +18 = 42

Saints 31 + 6 = 37

Texans 19 + 15 = 34

Broncos 26 + 6 = 32

Packers 29 + 2 - 31

Falcosn 21 + 8 = 29

Skins 17 + 13 = 30

if you noticed Brady and the pats have the overall the most TDs, so even tho he may be behind in the passing TDs by a few, the team has ran more in that other teams, but most importantingly, overall he had lead the pats to 5-12 more TD drives than his contemporaries . . . so when it comes to the MVP, which is most valuable player not the most valuable passer, i look to the guy that has driven his team to more overall TDs . . . and just as important one can get a better perspective on passing TDs has just about as much to do with a per passer as it does with playing calling and luck . . .

Just recently, Brady passed Steve Young for career passer rating . . . for those who like passer rating . . .

I originally claimed that Brady had crap to work with in '05, '06, etc. Particularly in '06.

Peyton's never had to work with such a lack of weapons.

I've always had a great deal of respect for 49ers QB Steve Young. Surpassing him in the career passer rating is a remarkable feat for Brady no question. Yes VL is correct. Peyton has always had high draft picks at WR's & TE's to play with vs Tom. However, until about 2007, Brady has had a more stout defense on his squad than Peyton has ever had. Even in 2006, our SB year, I attribute our turnaround solely to 1 man Safety Bob Sanders who was the human missile and the human eraser cleaning up so many gap/containment mistakes it wasn't even funny. Sanders was a 1 man wrecking crew IMO.

I've always had a great deal of respect for 49ers QB Steve Young. Surpassing him in the career passer rating is a remarkable feat for Brady no question. Yes VL is correct. Peyton has always had high draft picks at WR's & TE's to play with vs Tom. However, until about 2007, Brady has had a more stout defense on his squad than Peyton has ever had. Even in 2006, our SB year, I attribute our turnaround solely to 1 man Safety Bob Sanders who was the human missile and the human eraser cleaning up so many gap/containment mistakes it wasn't even funny. Sanders was a 1 man wrecking crew IMO.

no early in PM's career the D was not that great, altho it was darn good in 2005 and 2006 . . .

no early in PM's career the D was not that great, altho it was darn good in 2005 and 2006 . . .

No argument there Yehoodi...

2006 Indianapolis Colts starters on Defense:

LDE Robert Mathis 9.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered

LDT Anthony McFarland 2.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered

RDT Raheem Brock 3.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 3 fumbles recovered

RDE Dwight Freeney 5.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered

LLB Gilbert Gardner

MLB Gary Brackett

RLB Cato June 1.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered Indianapolis Colts

LCB Nick Harper 0.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered

RCB Jason David 0.0 sacks, 2 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered

SS Antoine Bethea 0.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered

FS Marlin Jackson 0.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered

Bob Sanders was named AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2007.

With Sanders, the 2006 Colts had the second best run defense in the playoffs with only 73.3 rushing yards allowed per game. Sanders went on to help the Colts, on the road, to their victory in Super Bowl XLI. Sanders made a pivotal play in the AFC title game against the Patriots. With the Patriots looking to clinch the game with a first down with under three minutes to play and holding a 34-31 lead, Sanders dove in front of Troy Brown and deflected the pass, forcing the Patriots to punt and giving Peyton Manning the chance to drive for the game winning touchdown. Sanders made a couple of key plays in the game against the Chicago Bears, forcing a fumble from running back Cedric Benson early in the game and intercepting quarterback Rex Grossman early in the 4th quarter after cornerback Kelvin Hayden intercepted Grossman on the previous drive with both picks helping seal the 29-17 win.

No, I didn't compile this list myself. I cut & paste it from Wikipedia after entering the google phrase 2006 Indianapolis Colts...

bob-sanders-2007.jpg

And in my opinion I think Brady is hurt by his association with BB.

Manning has been through Mora, Dungy, Caldwell, and now Fox in Denver.

Had Brady traveled the same path... he would be getting more love.

IMO this is why peyton will always be greater than tom and also why tom has more hardware than peyton.

Actually it was 2003. 13th in league. The LB corp was the heart with Petersen,Washington...

Polian was to later admit it was a mistake to let them go but he opted to chop the defense to pay that outragous price for the offense :)

Actually it was 2003. 13th in league. The LB corp was the heart with Petersen,Washington...

Polian was to later admit it was a mistake to let them go but he opted to chop the defense to pay that outragous price for the offense :)

Ahhhh yes. I used to cringe at times with some of the LBs we let go.

An underrated part of our 2006 defensive turnaround too was benching Gilbert Grape. Finally. It. Took. Forever.

Sanders made a pivotal play in the AFC title game against the Patriots. With the Patriots looking to clinch the game with a first down with under three minutes to play and holding a 34-31 lead, Sanders dove in front of Troy Brown and deflected the pass, forcing the Patriots to punt and giving Peyton Manning the chance to drive for the game winning touchdown.

Yes Yes Yes.

I always remember this and I never hear it brought up. People focus a lot on the Reche drop or whatever he did wide open lol.

But, Sanders did break up that Troy Brown pass and gave us the ball back. HUGE play at a key time on third down.

Yes Yes Yes.

I always remember this and I never hear it brought up. People focus a lot on the Reche drop or whatever he did wide open lol.

But, Sanders did break up that Troy Brown pass and gave us the ball back. HUGE play at a key time on third down.

That's why I respect you so much Jules. You are an excellent student of the game & your sense of humor is simply priceless IMO. ;) :rock:

If I was an NFL owner, I'd hire you for a high ranking Front Office job in a minute. Senior Assistant GM maybe? The pay is great, but the long hours are just horrific! haha Just Kidding Jules...

Ahhhh yes. I used to cringe at times with some of the LBs we let go.

An underrated part of our 2006 defensive turnaround too was benching Gilbert Grape. Finally. It. Took. Forever.

Remember that statement by Polian that was a mistake with those LBs, ( Mike peterson left colts after 2002 & played for Jags in 2003, Marcus Washington went to Redskins in 04 and became a pro bowler, and LB thorton had a great 2003 )

not sure Polian may have also mentioned Thorton who had a great year in 03 , tons of tackles , may have led colts in that too, some ITs too ( not Many ) and few years later was let go and titans took him and would always haate when he made a tackle on us Colts as he was quite a f good tackler

, take your word for it he also said opted to use cap for offense as for Polian that made sense in his mind

I Do remember something about not offering Washington what he wanted and having to pay a resigning Peyton & not knowing the cost to do that so couldnt make washington an offer he could accept with Peyton contract not worked out

GREAT WORD

Quisling = the fascist collaborators in WW 2 that sided with the enemy once their ( allied ) country was invaded or helped set up for the invasion before it happened so u r only a quisling if u actually help the other team win

U R just a Benedict Arnold @ heart ( LOL ) but who love's u baby ,

KOJACK BABY , great show

Remember that statement by Polian that was a mistake with those LBs, ( Mike peterson left colts after 2002 & played for Jags in 2003, Marcus Washington went to Redskins in 04 and became a pro bowler, and LB thorton had a great 2003 )

not sure Polian may have also mentioned Thorton who had a great year in 03 , tons of tackles , may have led colts in that too, some ITs too ( not Many ) and few years later was let go and titans took him and would always haate when he made a tackle on us Colts as he was quite a f good tackler

, take your word for it he also said opted to use cap for offense as for Polian that made sense in his mind

I Do remember something about not offering Washington what he wanted and having to pay a resigning Peyton & not knowing the cost to do that so couldnt make washington an offer he could accept with Peyton contract not worked out

Ah Thornton was the other I was tring to think of. Many people including NE players said that LB corp in the 2003 AFCCG were really making the plays and limited NE to FGs that day.

Washington did want too much money for the time. Polian never actually came out and said he wanted to spend on offense. It was just clear you couldn't pay both.