Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Cut S Meriweather

ColtsLegacy

So wait, wait, wait. Everyone is screaming about how dumb the Colts front office is when we can dare to cut guys like Javarris James, or Tommie Harris. But when the Patriots cut a 2-time Pro Bowler, who has played a whopping 2 years, mind you, no one mentions how dumb their front office is?

So wait, wait, wait. Everyone is screaming about how dumb the Colts front office is when we can dare to cut guys like Javarris James, or Tommie Harris. But when the Patriots cut a 2-time Pro Bowler, who has played a whopping 2 years, mind you, no one mentions how dumb their front office is?

Seriously, we live in a Bizzaro world.

Im sure the pats fans camp are doing the same thing, my gosh i would love for the colts to get this dude wow.

We got tressel so i didn't think character was an issue?

It's one thing to be a dirty player on the field.

It's another to simply fail to reveal information about collegiate players making extra-carricular moneys. One is important on the NFL field, the other is not.

Note, I also didn't say this rules Meriweather out. Everyone does deserve another chance, but one has to wonder why the Patriots let him go in the first place. They have a tendency of knowing just when to eliminate someone from their roster. Perhaps he looked bad this pre-season, or maybe he became a bit of a deva.

Whatever the case, I'm sure the Colts would take everything into account.

His play had dropped off in pre season,they had him playing in garbage time in the giant game thursday.

That's good to know.

I also want to ask people this: You want him for his name, don't you? How much do you know about him right now? It's a potentially big, sexy signing, which is why all of you would make terrible GM's and run us out of money.

Who does he replace on the roster, by the way? Bethea, who's a proven NFL-caliber starter, and potentially an All Pro himself? Bullitt, who has been a serviceable player for us, and waited patiently for nearly 3 years for his opportunity to start? Do we just give him the finger and sit him down?

Unless this move would provide us with a MASSIVE upgrade, it may not be worth it. Especially given our limited funds.

Come on, even if he has dropped off, which I can't really understand after 2 straight pro bowl years, he is much better than Bullitt. There must have been something going on that we are not privy to. Our Patriots members need to chime in on Meriweather.

True,has to be other issues.Maybe this will be a wake up for him if it's a attitude problem.Bring him in.

He played three years, not 2.

Not a fan of Merriweather. He's a freestyler who didn't fit well into the Patriots' system.

Oh, and the 2-time Pro Bowl part is a joke. The only reason he ever made the Pro Bowl was because all of the better safeties (Reed/Polamalu, etc) were either injured or decided not to play. He was actually the 5th or 6th pick.

I won't miss him at all.

Oh, and the 2-time Pro Bowl part is a joke. The only reason he ever made the Pro Bowl was because all of the better safeties (Reed/Polamalu, etc) were either injured or decided not to play. He was actually the 5th or 6th pick.

Isn't that true of most Pro Bowlers these days? Given the tendency of elite players to forego the Pro Bowl in recent years and the inability of Super Bowl participants to participate, being a Pro Bowler no longer has the prestige that it used to. It pretty much just means that you were serviceable or better throughout the year.

No because they want our dumb front office to go get him so we can be more like the extra smart front office who cut him in the first place.

I think it was more a numbers game for NE. They simply have a lot of good defensive players.

He can make plays and is a hard hitter. Not sure BB liked him..

I'd be surprised the colts didn't grab him.

NE let RB Sammy Morris go too...real class guy.Hate to see him go. He was well liked but again a numbers game.

He played three years, not 2.

Not a fan of Merriweather. He's a freestyler who didn't fit well into the Patriots' system.

I won't miss him at all.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Highly overrated and was out of position a good deal. He's not that good.

Rumor mill again:

From ALLsportsINTEL on twitter:

NFL UPDATE- Favorites to land former Patriots S Brandon Meriweather Indianapolis Colts, Carolina Panthers, Dallas Cowboys.

and from him again:

@StampedeBlue Yeah, sources reporting Colts have made most contact.

From incarceratedbob on twitter:

Colts are now in on Merriweather - Look for them to make a big push with the Cowboys / Raiders / Browns.. Redskins have slight interest

I know but i am hoping maybe we can get him for a bargain price,he was cut.

Yeah, generally cut players in final cuts don't demand huge contracts. Although he does have three or four teams looking at him. We'll see what happens. If we want him though I am sure we can make the contract work to get him here unless someone just realy over pays for him.

Yeah, generally cut players in final cuts don't demand huge contracts. Although he does have three or four teams looking at him. We'll see what happens. If we want him though I am sure we can make the contract work to get him here unless someone just realy over pays for him.

lol,maybe a chance to stick it to bill might motivate him as well.

Don't worry guys were fine w Lacey.. He's horrible but don't worry, he'll finally have a solid year as starter, Colts don't need anyone else even if they're significantly better.

Just take the guy especially @ a good price. You guys think he won't want to play and help out the biggest rivalry in the last decade.. Drop Lacey bring him in for a good price I'm sure he would love to give the Colts some defensive tips. There is no comparison between the two..

Hidden

Don't worry guys were fine w Lacey.. He's horrible but don't worry, he'll finally have a solid year as starter, Colts don't need anyone else even if they're significantly better.

Just take the guy especially @ a good price. You guys think he won't want to play and help out the biggest rivalry in the last decade.. Drop Lacey bring him in for a good price I'm sure he would love to give the Colts some defensive tips. There is no comparison between the two..

Hidden

Edit: just delete all my previous post thought he was a CB lol.. Still would be an unbelievable pickup by the Colts if it's a possibility... Bethea/Meriweather... ;)

Sorry mods, last two post should be deleted. It was due to lag, you can scrap this one as well. Sorry, wasn't meant for spam.

Come on, even if he has dropped off, which I find hard to believe after 2 very good seasons, he is much better than Bullitt. There must have been something going on that we are not privy to. Our Patriots members need to chime in on here.

Merriweather is undisciplined (freelances, makes bad decisions, and gets burned as a result), likes to get the big hit but isnt a good tackler, takes HORRIBLE angles, and thinks he's better than he is, and as a result, doesnt work to get better. The hope was that, while talented physically, he would mature. Hasnt happened. If the Colts wanted him, you know they are in trouble defensively.