Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Danny Amendola

He will be a part of the 2013 free agent, he's young(27) and has very good hands. He tied Reggie Wayne's record for the most catches in a half. He's a possession receiver that Luck would need opposite Wayne and I could see him being our Wes Welker 2.0. Plus I don't see him commanding a lot of money..

Thoughts?

This is the one WR Id like to go after most. Hes still fairly young, and wont cost near as much as a Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, or Dwayne Bowe. And Amendola can be a better version of Austin Collie for us. He could potentially have that Wes Welker type impact which Im sure Luck would love to have.

Give luck a dependable slot WR in Amendola, a go to WR in Reggie Wayne, and two burners in Hilton and Avery, and we got ourselves a WR core. Granted they are all smaller, quicker guys. We have our size in our talented TEs.

You gotta think the Rams would like to hang on to Amendola. He's Bradfords only reliable receiver.

I would think both the Rams and the Patriots might make plays to get him. But the Colts will have the most money to offer. However, anything over 5 million per season will be too much for him in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

If we were rebuilding Whalen would've been a good idea but we're in win now mode..we need somebody proven..not someone who we THINK will be good..

This is still a young team. Having young future players is still very important. And Amendola is not that young. 27 going on 28 next season I believe. And he's not a must have player either. We have solid receivers right now. He's not gonna come in and put us over the top (not saying you said that..)..

Coaches stashed Whalen on IR for a reason since his injury wasn't even season-ending. I'd like to see what he could do next year.

I'm also a big Whalen fan as you can tell from my Avatar :P

• 2 weeks later...

i think we have one of the best wr's groups in the nfl with wayne,avery,hilton,and brazil. we can spend that money on sebastian vollmer or drc, wr is the least of our concerns. also fleener and allen will get better we just need defensive playmakers.

I mostly agree, especially when it comes to signing underwhelming slot guys, but there is one problem.... I don't see a sure fire #1 to replace Reggie in a couple of years in that group...

If we are going to pick up a WR in FA, to me that guy has to be Mike Wallace, or maybe Dwayne Bowe... I don't think we necessarily have to get our future #1 in this offseason, but If we get him in the draft, it should be soon so the guy can learn from the best for at least a season... and if we are looking for a solid FA, this is probably the best opportunity we will get to grab a young guy like Wallace...

I don't see how Amendola is an upgrade over T.Y. or LaVon in any significant way (worth 5 mil a year) and Welker is too old and has inflated stats because of playing with a HOF QB under a HOF coach, IMO... we are in great shape in the slot so I'd say to sign an outside guy or Let it be.

• 1 month later...

PFF has him listed as the second best free agent WR (behind Welker)..ahead of of big name guys like Dwayne Bowe, Jennings, Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace who will all most likely ask for larger contract..I could see him and Luck being another Brady/Welker..please Grigson pull the trigger..

From what I've seen of Whalen he seems to be a very good slot reciever in the Austin Collie mode, excellent in the preseason game v Washington for example, I'd carry on with him and Hilton as slot receivers and go for a bigger target on the outside.

read a recent article that said that we've had the most success running Reggie from the slot with Avery and Hilton on the outside... too close to work time to dig up the article, but interesting if its true.... I also like Whalen, but I hope we have no real use for him or Danny A. from the Rams.

I'd rather have Mike Wallace, but ONLY if BA stays. Wallace knows BA's offense and would instantly be a 1000 yard receiver. Wayne, Wallace, Hilton, Brazill and Whalen. Sounds good to me. Fleener and Allen to provide the size. Brown and Vick to run it. O-line upgraded too, of course. This offense could be scary.

I'd rather have Mike Wallace, but ONLY if BA stays. Wallace knows BA's offense and would instantly be a 1000 yard receiver. Wayne, Wallace, Hilton, Brazill and Whalen. Sounds good to me. Fleener and Allen to provide the size. Brown and Vick to run it. O-line upgraded too, of course. This offense could be scary.

With Avery, Hilton and Brazill....what would be the benefit of Wallace? I'm not saying he wouldn't be a slight upgrade as a deep threat, but I think TY showed enough as a rookie to not warrant the type of money that Wallace will demand.

Pursuing Danny Amendola isn't a terrible idea....but he was nicked up this year with that collarbone and then some sort of foot injury (red flag?).

It would really have to be at a bargain price.

I don't mind entertaining some skill-position ideas but the O-line and secondary HAVE to come first.

Victor Cruz - a great possession guy and a deep threat. Strong, good hands and knows how to get open

Amendola - runs fantastic routes, dependable guy. Look how valuable I guy like that (Collie) was to Manning

Bowe - tall, strong receiver that people are asking for in the draft. If he doesn't demand too much money, he may be worth the risk

Wallace would just be more of what we already have, IMO.

Pursuing Danny Amendola isn't a terrible idea....but he was nicked up this year with that collarbone and then some sort of foot injury (red flag?).

It would really have to be at a bargain price.

I don't mind entertaining some skill-position ideas but the O-line and secondary HAVE to come first.

I do agree with that completely! You can say what you want about bringing in a stud WR. But the fact of the matter is if you protect Luck more and give him more time, he is going to pick secondaries apart with Wayne, Hilton, Avery (maybe), Brazill, Fleener and Allen. Some teams would kill for that level of young talent

I do agree with that completely! You can say what you want about bringing in a stud WR. But the fact of the matter is if you protect Luck more and give him more time, he is going to pick secondaries apart with Wayne, Hilton, Avery (maybe), Brazill, Fleener and Allen. Some teams would kill for that level of young talent

Exactly....if we have cap dollars left over from the necessary OL/CB/S/OLB upgrades, and then want to build superior depth at other positions I'm okay with it. But first things first. :yes: