Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

So, I'm in favor of an OL, or a DE/OLB. Someone who will have an impact on virtually every play they're on the field.

Some positions have less of an impact if their not as directly involved in the play.

If we're building a monster, we need to build with the foundation first. A lineman. We can even trade down and still pick up a quality lineman, plus a pick(s)

That's my preference....

We have tons of needs..

Both D-Line and O-line could clearly need better talent. I have high expectations for Chapman as our future NT.

OLB - Freeney is a question mark, so OLB is an area that needs attention.

ILB - A top prospect like Te'o would be a great addition, and improve our defense a great deal. But he's probably the only ILB I would spend a first round pick on as it's not the position we're worst at.

CB - Our CB's have not been as bad as everyone expected, but could still be improved a lot.

WR's - Wayne is still great, but not getting any younger. Collie is probably done. Avery, Hilton, Brazil have done okay, but a top WR prospect is always interesting.

Safety - Could use an upgrade, however I don't think a first round pick would be the smartest move. In my opinion we would be better of picking at another defensive position (OLB, ILB, DT)

RB's - Brown and Ballard have been doing okay. Nothing spectacular, but probably not an area where we will spend a first round pick.

QB - Set for years to come

TE - We should be set for a long time with Fleener/Allen

Overall, I hope we go for D-line/OLB pass rusher first, but I'm with the "Drafting for needs is a bad strategy" crowd. Draft the most talented player available, with slight reservations of course. It wouldn't make sense drafting a QB, when we have Luck, but if the most talented player available is a CB or an ILB, you get him. Elite talent is just the way to go in my book.

We should sign a more established LT and move Constanzo over to RT..Constanzo is not Grigson's guy anyway so I don't know how committed he'll be to the Constanzo at LT project..

AC will stay at lt if ain,t broke dont fix it they say he the best lineman we have , if we want and rt in drasft we could get luke joeckel or ricky wagner and then we could have too bookend tackles or we get warmack and jones who both could well be top 5 in the postion for years to come..

as for team needs

1.RT through free agency someone like vollmer or clady or if through draft joeckel and wagner

2.RG Warmack,Jones thomas

3.Safties FA kenny phillps would be awesome

4.OLB Jarvis jones closes thing to von miller absolute beast

5.Wr find a number 1 for the future Justin hunter would be great

AC will stay at lt if ain,t broke dont fix it they say he the best lineman we have , if we want and rt in drasft we could get luke joeckel or ricky wagner and then we could have too bookend tackles or we get warmack and jones who both could well be top 5 in the postion for years to come..

as for team needs

1.RT through free agency someone like vollmer or clady or if through draft joeckel and wagner

2.RG Warmack,Jones thomas

3.Safties FA kenny phillps would be awesome

4.OLB Jarvis jones closes thing to von miller absolute beast

5.Wr find a number 1 for the future Justin hunter would be great

Would love to have Justin Hunter but he will go in the first and we need help on D more than a WR. Hunters teammate Patterson might be able to be had in the third and I believe will be a great WR in the NFL.

Would love to have Justin Hunter but he will go in the first and we need help on D more than a WR. Hunters teammate Patterson might be able to be had in the third and I believe will be a great WR in the NFL.

What about Hunter's old teammate, Da'Rick Rogers? The off-field issues might put some people off. Top talent though.

What about Hunter's old teammate, Da'Rick Rogers? The off-field issues might put some people off. Top talent though.

Yea Rogers really stepped up last year when Hunter got hurt. He has not got in any trouble this year after he transfered schools. I have heard he is 2-3 round area but like you said some teams might not take a shot because of all the trouble he got in at Tennessee. If Bray didnt regress this year like it has seemed Hunter and Patterson would have nasty numbers. Also remember Hunter is just back from the knee injury last year so him quickness and agility is not all the way back. Man if the Vols only had a decent defense this year.

Even if we get Chapman this year and he is successful I would like to see us get another big body on the line. Redding can't be trusted he has been to prone to injury. After how we have been gashed in the run game we still need help on the line which has been the case for years. Ideally I would like us to trade back and collect a few picks and draft a guard at the end of round one and hopefully pick up a 2nd rounder.

Even if we get Chapman this year and he is successful I would like to see us get another big body on the line. Redding can't be trusted he has been to prone to injury. After how we have been gashed in the run game we still need help on the line which has been the case for years. Ideally I would like us to trade back and collect a few picks and draft a guard at the end of round one and hopefully pick up a 2nd rounder.

The Rams traded down from 6 to 14 and picked up a 2nd. I think we're going to win too many games to get such a deal.

The Rams traded down from 6 to 14 and picked up a 2nd. I think we're going to win too many games to get such a deal.

You make a very good point, one I've been trying to make here since I joined....

Even more to the point, once the draft started, this was the only trade where a team traded down and picked up a #2.

And if we're picking in the middle of the 1st round, the chances of a team wanting to trade up being willing to part with a #2 for a player who might be the 14th best, or 16th best are very remote.... a real long shot.

It's not even clear we can get a #3. Some first round picks involved a 4. These days are easy to make on internet message boards. They're much harder to do in the Real World.

Cool story. Lets look at the 2011 draft where New England traded their 28th pick to New Orleans for their 2nd rounder that year and a first rounder in 2012.

I think that was because New Orleans traded up from the bottom of the 2nd round. And the Patriots' had a late first rounder. Say we're picking 15th/16th (for argument's sake), it's unlikely anybody will be moving up from the 2nd round for that pick.