Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck, RGIII and Peyton revisted 5 wks into the season....

bluephantom87

Just some football talk to wind down the bye week. The Colts made the decision to move on from Manning due to the uncertainty of his neck (with the big contract) and having a Peyton-like qb on the table to carry the franchise into the future. Luck was considered by most to be one of the best ever to come out of the college ranks. I know it's early with Peyton playing well but has RGIII impressed enough so far to second guess the decision. Remember RGIII was willing to sit behind Peyton and learn not saying that Luck wouldn't but most felt that Luck was nfl ready now. I still think Luck will be one of the great ones barring injury when it's all said and done but only time will tell. Thoughts? Go Colts!!!! :number1:

I don't believe that 5 games is ever enough to second guess a decision. Especially when Luck has played so consistent and mature in all of our games. If I had to rank on who's having the better seasom I'd rank Luck over RGIII right now.

Whilst I agree FOUR games is too early (or three in Luck's case), I would give the nod to Griffin. I feel that will have changed by week 17 though. Griffin, if he can stay healthy, will become an elite QB in due course. As will Luck....

Whilst I agree FOUR games is too early (or three in Luck's case), I would give the nod to Griffin. I feel that will have changed by week 17 though. Griffin, if he can stay healthy, will become an elite QB in due course. As will Luck....

I agree that Griffin will be very good, but Luck's football smarts are just incomparable. Last week A coach spoke of something Griffin said, it was a quote from the movie The Replacements, he said that "when the games on the line winners always want the ball" and he took them down on that last drive. Not that Luck hasn't done that but I want our coaches to give him the keys give him the freedom, let him make the mistakes now and learn. He learns very quick and his pocket awareness amazes me.

Griffin has been better than I expected. Instead of taking Luck 200 times out of 100 picks, I'd just take him in 100% of the time now. Luck will be 5x the QB that Griffin will be in the NFL. I think Griffin has a chance to be a pro bowl level QB but I suspect injuries are going to mount up very quickly with the amount of hits he takes and his lack of size. I'm blown away by what I see from Luck.

I agree that Griffin will be very good, but Luck's football smarts are just incomparable. Last week A coach spoke of something Griffin said, it was a quote from the movie The Replacements, he said that "when the games on the line winners always want the ball" and he took them down on that last drive. Not that Luck hasn't done that but I want our coaches to give him the keys give him the freedom, let him make the mistakes now and learn. He learns very quick and his pocket awareness amazes me.

About giving Luck the keys... I recall one of the coaches saying that Luck was ready for that very early on, but most of the rest of the O is too young, too inexperienced, and not deep enough into the play book to keep up.

Just some football talk to wind down the bye week. The Colts made the decision to move on from Manning due to the uncertainty of his neck (with the big contract) and having a Peyton-like qb on the table to carry the franchise into the future. Luck was considered by most to be one of the best ever to come out of the college ranks. I know it's early with Peyton playing well but has RGIII impressed enough so far to second guess the decision. Remember RGIII was willing to sit behind Peyton and learn not saying that Luck wouldn't but most felt that Luck was nfl ready now. I still think Luck will be one of the great ones barring injury when it's all said and done but only time will tell. Thoughts? Go Colts!!!! :number1:

Still think it was the right decision. I think Luck has done a great job all things considered. Pretty much everyone thought RG would have the better rookie year simply based on the talent that the Redskins have compared to the talent on the Colts who basically gutted the entire team. Keeping Griffin or Luck to sit behind Manning sounds nice but i don't see how it would have worked. Manning was due a lot of money, there were still going to have to be TOUGH roster moves made that would have weakened this team. Then you add the top QB in the draft and his salary on top of it all. Based on what i have seen so far there is no way i would want this version of Manning playing on this current roster. Manning has struggled greatly with pressure and Luck has played under it every single game. Manning has played well when his running game has been effective and there is no running game here. It was the right decision for both parties IMO, and i think both RG and Luck will be great QB's in this league so i don't think you are wrong with either one but i wouldn't change the decision.

About giving Luck the keys... I recall one of the coaches saying that Luck was ready for that very early on, but most of the rest of the O is too young, too inexperienced, and not deep enough into the play book to keep up.

Yes, was going to say the same thing. As i recall, early in camp Luck walked up to the line and started calling out changes, they had to stop the play because the rest of the offense had no clue what he was talking about. The coaching staff couldn't believe it.

Griffin has been better than I expected. Instead of taking Luck 200 times out of 100 picks, I'd just take him in 100% of the time now. Luck will be 5x the QB that Griffin will be in the NFL. I think Griffin has a chance to be a pro bowl level QB but I suspect injuries are going to mount up very quickly with the amount of hits he takes and his lack of size. I'm blown away by what I see from Luck.

Griffen has been exactly what I expected. He is a good qb. He has a monster arm and crazy deep ball accuracy. He moves fluidly in the pocket. His size worries me but otherwise I think he will end up being Drew Brees 2.0. Luck has been great too. Exactly a model of consistancy. Peyton...well he is Peyton...known to have a bad game a couple times a year...and I mean bad...3, 4, 5 picks like he has had against SD before but he clearly is a great leader and can keep a team in it....carry them.

As for your prediction about Luck being 5X better then Griffen....that is just plain ignorant. That is like saying Luck will win 5 SBs and throw for 20,000 yds and 125 TDs. Please lets be reasonable here....making those comments just expounds on the bias we have. He won't even be 2x the qb. I fully believe Luck has all the tools and will be a top 5 qb in the league someday....perhaps even an MVP someday....but 5X...thats funny.

5 games is very early to tell.

..but since you asked..

Both Luck and RG3 are good..as was advertised

but I think Luck will still be playing at the end of the season and, unless he takes more care running..RG3 wont...

I am coming around to the point of view that Luck could and can start and win immediately..(even though he has nt weon) I think the wins will come THIS year...I think we can be 7-6 aftre 13 games..

..but I also feel (as I did then) that Manning would and has recovered enough to be top flight (30 of 38 last week)

Looking back..in hindsight I'd have kept Peyton Manning...traded the No.1 for the No.2 and extras..and drafted RG3..

who I'd have been comfortable sitting on the bench for a couple of years..

I'm still unhappy as a franchise that we gave away an icon..a man who meant far more than wins and losses

..and there will be some hard talk later this season when Denver is in the playoffs and Indy is not..

..but the choice of Andrew Luck with his nature and the character he is showing....

has soldfied the positon for years to come...indicating to me that while exchanging Manning for Luck was not right

....it was not wrong either (if you understand what I'm saying)

I think Mr. Irasy will be seen as a genius for this move in years to come.... after Manning retires

I will say this; After only 4 games it seems quite clear to me that Peyton is....Peyton. No alarming issues, the critique has been much ado about nothing.

Griffin and Luck;

Again, no alarming issues. Mostly positives. What negatives one could gleam would be the typical rookie fare. Griffin, as I feared, is a bit ignorant of his need to not take early season hits. Luck, stop staring down your primary, especially on those crossing/mid-field routes.

..but since you asked..

but I think Luck will still be playing at the end of the season and, unless he takes more care running..RG3 wont...

I am coming around to the point of view that Luck could and can start and win immediately..(even though he has nt weon) I think the wins will come THIS year...I think we can be 7-6 aftre 13 games..

..but I also feel (as I did then) that Manning would and has recovered enough to be top flight (30 of 38 last week)

Looking back..in hindsight I'd have kept Peyton Manning...traded the No.1 for the No.2 and extras..and drafted RG3..

I'm still unhappy as a franchise that we gave away an icon..a man who meant far more than wins and losses

..and there will be some hard talk later this season when Denver is in the playoffs and Indy is not..

..but the choice of Andrew Luck with his nature and the character he is showing....

has soldfied the positon for years to come...indicating to me that while exchanging Manning for Luck was not right

I think Mr. Irasy will be seen as a genius for this move in years to come.... after Manning retires

Now that is what I call covering all bases! Good job Unc!

..but since you asked..

..but since you asked..

..but since you asked..

Holy ellipses batman

• 2 weeks later...

Out here in DC we are very glad we got Griffin. I think pre-draft most Indy fans wanted Luck and most Redskin fans wanted you to take him. Sounds like we are both happy. We finally feel like we got THE GUY that other teams always seem to get. Not many of us like the straight option play - especially a dozen times a game. We like that Griff looks to throw first and take off last. We like the QB draw - especially in goal line. We are 10 for 10 in 1st and goal. We like his accuracy. We feel like we got a good character guy. We feel like Shanahan saw the "mild" concussion and is backing off on the risk as is Griff himself who must learn when to be daring. We think he's already better than Vick there as well as in his passing ability. We think the 76 yard burst last week was the epitome of how he plays and what only he can do from the QB position at this point.

We think we have a unique QB who keeps us in every game - who freezes defenses simply by looking in a certain direction - who makes DEs NOT pin their ears back - who gets guys open by simply being a threat - who makes our run game better (2nd in NFL) by running himself and not allowing the D to key on our RB - who gets us all FIRED UP ... and that means something.

Question to you all - How fired up are people in Indy over Luck? Are you simply happy/hopeful with your new pick or are you psyched about each upcoming battle?

DarthMonk

Dari Nokia (sp) Popped off at the spout earlier this morning about how impressive RG3 has been and how "RG3" is the runaway OROY. ... And then Kiper kicked some knowledge.

RG3 is playing on a good team, that beat the NYG's 2x last season... They have turned Morris into an NFL "star" , they run the ball, ... They DO NOT ask RG3 to carry them. They have played even or ahead for most of the year. Kiper added, "It is NO surprise what RG3 is doing... he was the #2 overall pick, and he went to the BEST team; of all the rookie QB's"

AL has played one less game thus far and thrown 60 more passes. With NO OL or running game. Oh and he has led late game drives to go ahead or WIN 3 times? Clutch.....

Dari really irritated me this morning but it was a nice surprise to hear Kiper kick him back in his seat.

Out here in DC we are very glad we got Griffin. I think pre-draft most Indy fans wanted Luck and most Redskin fans wanted you to take him. Sounds like we are both happy. We finally feel like we got THE GUY that other teams always seem to get. Not many of us like the straight option play - especially a dozen times a game. We like that Griff looks to throw first and take off last. We like the QB draw - especially in goal line. We are 10 for 10 in 1st and goal. We like his accuracy. We feel like we got a good character guy. We feel like Shanahan saw the "mild" concussion and is backing off on the risk as is Griff himself who must learn when to be daring. We think he's already better than Vick there as well as in his passing ability. We think the 76 yard burst last week was the epitome of how he plays and what only he can do from the QB position at this point.

We think we have a unique QB who keeps us in every game - who freezes defenses simply by looking in a certain direction - who makes DEs NOT pin their ears back - who gets guys open by simply being a threat - who makes our run game better (2nd in NFL) by running himself and not allowing the D to key on our RB - who gets us all FIRED UP ... and that means something.

Question to you all - How fired up are people in Indy over Luck? Are you simply happy/hopeful with your new pick or are you psyched about each upcoming battle?

DarthMonk

heeh.... I'm happy Indy does not have a QB who has a 2x concussion issue right out of the gate.

Keep running him Shanny.

Peyton is Peyton. That doesn't bother me so much because the decision the Colts made was not because they didn't think Peyton could play anymore. They made it for the long term future of the franchise. So it doesn't bother me or shock me that Peyton is better out of the gate. The Colts are gambling on Luck being better in about five years when they have had a chance to restock the team with more talent to go around the QB.

As for Luck vs. RG3. Both are great young QBs. Heck this whole draft class has had good young QBs. Wilson has already had some big moments. Tannehill is quietly flying under the radar as Miami looks to be much better than people thought they would be and even Wheeden shows some promise for the Browns. Still I think Luck and RG3 are going to end up being the class of the QBs in this draft as you would expect for the top two picks. I said early in the season and I still think this I think if switched spots you would still see the same results from the two. Meaning Luck would be thriving with the Redskins having eye popping moments (maybe not the 70+ yard TD run but still doing very well none the less) and RG3 would be off to a promising start with the Colts although probably not having the same results in the wins department that Luck is having with the Redskins simply because the Redskins are a better team at the moment. Frankly I don't think either team could have gone wrong here with one of these two players. If you ask Colts fans they are going to tell you Luck is better. If you ask Redskins fans they will tell you RG3 is better. If you ask others they are going to pick the one they happen to like more. That simply tells me both are really good young players.

My own personal opinion which is just as bias as anyone else's is that Luck will have the longer/better career just because he wont have the injury issues that are going to come at some point with the way RG3 plays. With that said in no ways does it mean that I think RG3 will have a "bad" career. I think both will be very good.

Very insightful once again, and I totally agree.

They (RG3 and AL) are both already ... "very good" IMO. Both are top 10 "fantasy" QB's. Luck of course is winning with less.

hehe.. :)

But Tannehill and Wilson are so impressive. This is he next big QB class in the NFL.

Go Colts. and get healthy.... everyone.

I feel both teams got two great QBs who fit the systems for the prospective teams they play for. I don't think RG3 was the best possible fit for Arians scheme, and I don't think Luck would have been the best possible fit for Shanahan. I think both players went to the best possible situations in order to achieve success. I think RG3 has been more accurate than Luck, but I still haven't had one single thought in my head telling me we should have gone with RG. I enjoy watching the growth and maturation processes of both of those guys.

I still like Luck. He's my quarterback!

But Tannehill and Wilson are so impressive. This is he next big QB class in the NFL.

Go Colts. and get healthy.... everyone.

How ironic that every man and his dog wanted to condemn Tannehill after week 1 for throwing 1 intercept more than Luck. All the rookies QB starters this season have shown enough to suggest they will have solid NFL careers

How ironic that every man and his dog wanted to condemn Tannehill after week 1 for throwing 1 intercept more than Luck. All the rookies QB starters this season have shown enough to suggest they will have solid NFL careers

I'd like to line them up .... all of them and let them work Indy's OL.

Hehehe....

The real comparison between Luck and RG3 thus far has to be measured by looking at their passing attempts.

People are raving about RG3's extremely high completion percentage and only have 2 interceptions. However, take into consideration that he is only throwing the ball an average of 26 times per game. The Redskins have a running game, where as the Colts do not. Thus, Luck is attempting 44 passes per game.

Is there someone who can chart the attempt to completion ratio for both quarterbacks. Thus, estimating what RG3's completion percentage and interceptions would be if he were averaging 44 attempts per game, and visa versa for Luck, if he were averaging only 26 attempts per game?

The real comparison between Luck and RG3 thus far has to be measured by looking at their passing attempts.

People are raving about RG3's extremely high completion percentage and only have 2 interceptions. However, take into consideration that he is only throwing the ball an average of 26 times per game. The Redskins have a running game, where as the Colts do not. Thus, Luck is attempting 44 passes per game.

Is there someone who can chart the attempt to completion ratio for both quarterbacks. Thus, estimating what RG3's completion percentage and interceptions would be if he were averaging 44 attempts per game, and visa versa for Luck, if he were averaging only 26 attempts per game?

It's just not that easy...

An effective, to good , to GREAT running game totally turns a bad QB into a really good looking one.

RG3 is a true blue talent, but he is working for Shanny.

I truly hope Shanny is not expecting young RG3 to run this much? I know Shanny is only gaming an average of "5" per game but I gueess the "leg work" is on RG3?

HEHEH ...... EEEE

Just run out of bound ....

Some of us are expecting a decade of clowning on U and the Skins.

Right on.. ... Sorry Bro I missed it.

Washington's "success" and Indy's lack of "success" is primarily directed at EACH team's running game.

One has one. And the other can't get 2 yards on first down.

A huge difference going into second and third down.

It's just not that easy...

An effective, to good , to GREAT running game totally turns a bad QB into a really good looking one.

RG3 is a true blue talent, but he is working for Shanny.

I truly hope Shanny is not expecting young RG3 to run this much? I know Shanny is only gaming an average of "5" per game but I gueess the "leg work" is on RG3?

HEHEH ...... EEEE

Just run out of bound ....

Some of us are expecting a decade of clowning on U and the Skins.

Well John Dee. Keep the bootleg plays to a minimum Coach Shanahan, don't make your field general take any unnecessary hits, give RG3 a clean pocket, and remember that your QB is primarily a pocket passer 1st; He isn't a scambler like Jake Plummer was. Remember that and don't get your QB killed. Protect him best by a reliable running game. If RG3 goes down, your job security in DC dies right with it Mike.

A true test tomorrow for Griffin, that's for sure. I think the Redskins could sweep the Giants again this year, the NFC East is such an unpredictable division. A true test for Luck too...I hope he and his teammates didn't take this Browns team lightly lol. Heck, even if they did it's still a W hahaha.

Sure but, I'm not sure what good that would do. Since RG3 statistically has produced better than Luck from an efficiency perspective it's only going to make his #'s look better with more attempts and Luck's #'s look worse with fewer attempts.

othersthrows.jpg

Griffin averages 26.8 throws per game so I rounded it to 27 with Luck averaging 44.2.

If they produced at the same rates(cmp%/TD%/INT%/YPA), that is what their #'s would look like averaging the other guys attempts.

Keep in mind Luck has played in 5 games and RG3 has played in 6. If you computed each of their rates at 500 passing attempts here is what that would look like:

500passes.jpg

Peyton's problem, if he has one, is getting all the TE's, WR's, and o-line players on the same protection page in a fraction of a second at a moment's notice when the situation warrants it. Plus, Denver hasn't figured out how he used to get to a free yards on the field by zebras too many men on the field.

Luck is fine, but that line has got to improve dramatically and give him time to throw and not have pockets implode before his very eyes. GM Grigson has got to spend serious money on the o-line in April. Success in the NFL begins and ends with protection up front plain and simple. No NFL QB no matter how great can win games flat on his back.

A true test tomorrow for Griffin, that's for sure. I think the Redskins could sweep the Giants again this year, the NFC East is such an unpredictable division. A true test for Luck too...I hope he and his teammates didn't take this Browns team lightly lol. Heck, even if they did it's still a W hahaha.

Yup, DC Jim Hasselet and London Fletcher are wicked smart on defense. I respect Osi, Tuck, and JPP on the NY Giants like always, but RG3 and the Redskins are about to make a serious move in the NFC East IMO just like the Texans in AFC South. I can feel it, but I can't qualify it or quantify it from a numbers perspective. That's FJC's level of expertise not mine. :worthy:

Give me a few minutes and I'll take a step deeper.

The two quarterbacks had differing # of attempts of throws traveling different lengths, so I will work up a hypothetical composite of what their #'s would look like if they threw @ the same number of attempts over those differing lengths.

For example Luck throws 6.8 passes per game to a receiver behind the LOS, Griffin throws 7.8... So let's see how that affects the question...

Yup, DC Jim Hasselet and London Fletcher are wicked smart on defense. I respect Osi, Tuck, and JPP on the NY Giants like always, but RG3 and the Redskins are about to make a serious move in the NFC East IMO just like the Texans in AFC South. I can feel it, but I can't qualify it or quantify it from a numbers perspective. That's FJC's level of expertise not mine. :worthy:

Yeah, FJC is a numbers guru. I like leaving the stats and projections to him as well hahaha. There was a small amount of trash talk before this NYG-Wash. game too, should make it even more interesting as it unfolds. When will these players learn to not talk trash about a formidable opponent lol...was Jay Cutler's example not good enough?