Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Collins' Deal Is Actually 2Y/14M

Andy

:facepalm: That kind of leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I would give our off-season (that's the draft and free-agency) grade an A-. We were managing the salary cap well, Peyton took a pay cut, and we were able to bolster both our offensive and defensive lines. I felt all of our needs were addressed. I felt we needed a quality backup for a while now, and Collins was honestly the QB I wanted to bring in all along. However, I feel that this is definitely overpaying on the Colts behalf. I was hoping to keep a few million of the cap going into the season for an insurance policy. For example, if/when Gonzo gets hurt I would have preferred we take a look at a vet like TJ Housh. Now I feel that this cap hit could really come back to bite us if we are injury riddled like last season. :oops:

It should also be noted that it was reported elsewhere that we were talking to Matt Hasselbeck prior to Kerry Collins. This makes a lot of sense now considering Hasselbeck is making $20 million over three years. That actually means on average Collins is making more than Hasselbeck. It looks like the organization was willing to shell out some big bucks for a quality backup for a while now. Lets just hope we don't have to use Collins this season and we stay healthy.

Just so you know......Kerry Collins' contract with the Colts is for two years and $14 million.

The deal includes $4 million guaranteed in the form of a $2.5 million signing bonus and 2011 salary of $1.5 million. That's what his deal is and if you think we actually keep him next year and give him 10 mill you have to be crazy. So he's getting 4 mill from us this season.

Just so you know......Kerry Collins' contract with the Colts is for two years and $14 million.

The deal includes $4 million guaranteed in the form of a $2.5 million signing bonus and 2011 salary of $1.5 million. That's what his deal is and if you think we actually keep him next year and give him 10 mill you have to be crazy. So he's getting 4 mill from us this season.

Correct. 2.75 million cap hit this season, we had 7 million spare?

Please, you're making me :barf:. Where did you see that?

this is a good contract for the colts! if manning can't play for the first couple games and collins looks really good, they might be able to get a decent draft pick for him when manning gets better.

there goes our salary cap, for really just an insurance player... Thoughts?

If that's what the Indy Star said you can't believe everything that they print and that can also be a typo. Most papers don't proof read the way they should. I can't see the Colts paying that much for a back up QB. JMO of course.

this is a good contract for the colts! if manning can't play for the first couple games and collins looks really good, they might be able to get a decent draft pick for him when manning gets better.

You honestly think someone would trade us a decent draft pick for a backup QB that is almost 40? C'MON MAN!!!!

Btw, Collins wont touch the 10M in base salary for 2012. That realy makes that a 4m for a year, the 4M being guaranteed basically (his 2011 base salary plus signing bonus) but instead of having the cap hit over the 2011 season only, the cap hit of the signing bonus will be over 2 seasons.

As for getting a pick for him, he has 0 value (and wont have any value either no matter how he performs) so dont expect anything.

My question is, would we trade him if into the season another team decides to go with a vet QB or they're QB gets hurt, and what kinda of value could we stand to gain from from the trade. Obviously more than Painter, But I guess thats really for another thread and another time... :number1:

Yeah, I don't know why people can't get that. Next year is meaningless, if he's still on the team his contract would be redone. This is no big deal.

Yeah, I don't know why people can't get that. Next year is meaningless, if he's still on the team his contract would be redone. This is no big deal.

I get it, but previously I thought that he could play backup for two years if necessary for the same money. So from that perspective either his salary just doubled for this year or the duration of his employment was just cut in half. Neither are good news.

Bigger picture, I never understand why players sign contracts that they have no chance of ever receiving. All it does is motivate their team to cut them to avoid salary cap nightmares.

We could have had Charlie Johnson for that price instead of Linkenbach at right tackle, just saying :(, and retained Kelvin Hayden for 1 year since his cap hit was only $1 million plus.

Yeah, that was strange about CJ considering he's also more versatile than Link (and better).

I'm still not sure what happened with Hayden. I don't think he's been picked up yet, right? You have to wonder if he's healthy.

CJ has been terrible from everything I have read on his time in Minny. As for Kelvin, his cap hit was way more than 1 mil, that was just the cap hit savings # after he was cut. I am thinking his cap # if he stayed and played as bad as he had been was around the 6-7 mil/yr, he was not playing up to that cap hit. It is also odd that such a star has not been picked up either if he was all that. Perhaps his pride vs his price tag are not correlating to his suitors around the league??

Most of the money (around $10 mil) will be given to him in his second year if he is still on the team. He will definitely be gone by then, there is no way he stays on the Colts with that kind of cap hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get cut before the season starts. Would he still count against the cap if he is released before the season?

Most of the money (around $10 mil) will be given to him in his second year if he is still on the team. He will definitely be gone by then, there is no way he stays on the Colts with that kind of cap hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get cut before the season starts. Would he still count against the cap if he is released before the season?

I don't think there is any way Collins is getting cut before this season. That would be colossally stupid on the Colts part even if Peyton is mostly healthy by then.

As for getting a pick for him, he has 0 value (and wont have any value either no matter how he performs) so dont expect anything.

so if manning can't play the first 4 games and collins is leading the nfl in passing, he would have 0 value to a team that has lost their starter to a injury?

so if manning can't play the first 4 games and collins is leading the nfl in passing, he would have 0 value to a team that has lost their starter to a injury?

If that is how it played out, the Colts wouldn't trade him due to Manning coming off an injury and you never know if he gets dinged up again. But a 38 year old quarterback would have little to no trade value unless another team lost their starter. He's a Colt for the season and will be an upgrade to Painter and hopefully he's just a 4 million dollar insurance policy.

This is the cost of having a vet back up. This is why the Colts have not had one for years. It's expensive.

I find it funny for years fans complained that we didn't have a vet back up and didn't like the fact it was expensive as the reason we didn't. Now we have one and fans are complaining he's too expensive. You can't have it both ways.

This is the cost of having a vet back up. This is why the Colts have not had one for years. It's expensive.

I find it funny for years fans complained that we didn't have a vet back up and didn't like the fact it was expensive as the reason we didn't. Now we have one and fans are complaining he's too expensive. You can't have it both ways.

The fans here are like that with everything.

For example:

They want to surround Manning with quality talent to make the most of his remaining years in the league. This is done by protecting draft picks, and acquiring high-value/low-risk Free Agents. Maybe a big name or two, but the ascribed formula is as-stated.

They also want Andrew Luck, and think we should give away a ton of draft picks and players to somehow land the #1 pick.

There's no way we can acquire the #1 pick and still be a Super Bowl contender this year, next year, or probably ever again for the remainder of Manning's career. It's counter-intuitive, and just plain contradictory. We set this team up to win now; we don't mortgage everything in the hopes of seeing little drop off after Manning leaves. That's like giving Manning the finger.

Can't have it both ways, but people like to ignore details. Oh sure, a team could purposely tank a season, but that's still a waste of one of the final years of the greatest football player in history, and I sincerely doubt a whole lot of fans would stay on board for that.

2 things:

-Collins wont be leading the NFL thru 4 games, assuming PM cant play the first 4. He isnt that good, never was and never will be.

-Even if he was leading the NFL at that point, a 4 games span wouldnt erase the amount of years Collins has played in the NFL.

The Colts, as well as the whole NFL (yes, this includes even the guy selling peanuts in each stadiums), all knows what Collins is. He isnt gonna reinvent himself at 38. The Colts didnt signed Warner, but rather Collins.

No matter how you slice it, he has and will have 0 value regardless of his performance.

This isnt Madden 2012, sorry :P

Since I can't start a new topic (don't remember my old user name and password so I'm a new user...again), I'm going to post here as it's related to Manning and Collins. I just heard on WTHR Channel 13 Inside the Huddle "Peyton Manning is a no go, it will be Kerry Collins leading the Colts week 1" along with the first part of this quote they talk about Collins' deal (money) that's the topic of this post. Can anyone confirm this? I didn't see a post anywhere about what I just heard. I backed the program up a few times to make sure I heard it correctly. What I quoted is exactly what they said.

Since I can't start a new topic (don't remember my old user name and password so I'm a new user...again), I'm going to post here as it's related to Manning and Collins. I just heard on WTHR Channel 13 Inside the Huddle "Peyton Manning is a no go, it will be Kerry Collins leading the Colts week 1" along with the first part of this quote they talk about Collins' deal (money) that's the topic of this post. Can anyone confirm this? I didn't see a post anywhere about what I just heard. I backed the program up a few times to make sure I heard it correctly. What I quoted is exactly what they said.

Will someone please start a new topic asking my question above? I would, but I can't...

Will someone please start a new topic asking my question above? I would, but I can't...

Disregard previous posts. I could barely here it (I backed it up again) but Eric Yutzy said "Well, if Peyton Manning is a no go...". It was barely audible. Now I can go to sleep. :dancing:

Dear God, the replies saying stuff like that "contract makes me sick" have no idea what they are talking about. The key numbers are the guaranteed money. This contract amounts to a 1 year deal worth $4 million which is entirely reasonable for a vet back up QB.

I'm speechless I'm going to trout myself and the Colts organization, "only if it's true.". I thought 4 mil/2yrs was the deal.. However I've always thought being the bright Kelley student that I was, not even being a financial major perhaps I should step in for the Colts as financial advisor!&, (sarcasm included)... I refuse to believe this post so I'll trout this post and myself... :trout:

Epic fail.... Looks like Peyton won't be taken off the PUP list....

Dear God, the replies saying stuff like that "contract makes me sick" have no idea what they are talking about. The key numbers are the guaranteed money. This contract amounts to a 1 year deal worth $4 million which is entirely reasonable for a vet back up QB.

Hence the 2 yr 4 million... Hopefully the +1 infront of the 4 regrading the post doesn't give me a heart attack..