Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching was bad but it's not why we lost

superrep1967

I do believe the coaching was bad actually terrible! But it's not why we lost we lost because our defense gave up two home runs. The coaches don't make any tackles our defense just needs to make some plays at the end. I blame our defense for not making two plays in the game. But the play calling stunk to though. I know BA calls our offensive plays. But it goes back to Pagano because he is the head coach and it goes with the territory. The head coach gets paid the most which means he's get to be the one who gets criticized. I know we can blame Sergio Brown for that last TD. But the team has to do a better job with there depth and make sure everybody is prepared going in these games. It was obvious that Brown had no business being on that field especially at a critical time. That's just doing a bad job of making sure all 45 guys who dress are prepared for any situation. If the guy can't do his job then he shouldn't be on the 53 man roster and especially not on the 45 who dress.

None of our Corners had any business being out there except Davis and Powers but someone had to be out there when Davis went down, its really simple to me, Davis is our best Corner, Davis went down so we were back to square 1 in that area 1 decent Corner and the rest have no business being on the football field, coaches can only do so much if a player doesnt keep his composure and stay disciplined then it dont matter what that coach teaches because said player (Brown in this case or just name any Corner other then Powers or Davis if you want on our roster) just dont have the talent and composure, Brown was in the right place but he bit on the play and missed, its simple we dont have the talent and no amount of coaching is going to teach alot of these guys , with all that said I believe some of Arians calls could have been different but I had absolutely no problem with forcing the Jags to burn there timeouts, maybe if Arians would have figured out passing down field so many times isn't always a good strategy, thats not Lucks strength

I do believe the coaching was bad actually terrible! But it's not why we lost we lost because our defense gave up two home runs. The coaches don't make any tackles our defense just needs to make some plays at the end. I blame our defense for not making two plays in the game. But the play calling stunk to though. I know BA calls our offensive plays. But it goes back to Pagano because he is the head coach and it goes with the territory. The head coach gets paid the most which means he's get to be the one who gets criticized. I know we can blame Sergio Brown for that last TD. But the team has to do a better job with there depth and make sure everybody is prepared going in these games. It was obvious that Brown had no business being on that field especially at a critical time. That's just doing a bad job of making sure all 45 guys who dress are prepared for any situation. If the guy can't do his job then he shouldn't be on the 53 man roster and especially not on the 45 who dress.

King and Davis were both hurt on that play

Regardless if people agree I still think our second half play calling is not aggressive enough its like arians doesn't have full trust in luck he has clearly shown he can be trusted we have to play for putting the dagger in the opponent especially being up what 14 to 3 at half against jags let luck do what he does change up run plays put in more tight end sets since it was very successful for Peyton spread the field and let our te’s make plays hello Arias let's go

Regardless if people agree I still think our second half play calling is not aggressive enough its like arians doesn't have full trust in luck he has clearly shown he can be trusted we have to play for putting the dagger in the opponent especially being up what 14 to 3 at half against jags let luck do what he does change up run plays put in more tight end sets since it was very successful for Peyton spread the field and let our te’s make plays hello Arias let's go

as long as your not saying chuck the ball down the field willy nilly I can get on board with all those ideas because we did throw 46 times

as long as your not saying chuck the ball down the field willy nilly I can get on board with all those ideas because we did throw 46 times

iam saying obvious we put in te’s then run brown up the gut for nothing it gets stopped every time they stack 6 plus in the box why not use same set fool defense play action most teams are going for the run when Brown did get positive yards It was not the usual up the gut for nothing

iam saying obvious we put in te’s then run brown up the gut for nothing it gets stopped every time they stack 6 plus in the box why not use same set fool defense play action most teams are going for the run when Brown did get positive yards It was not the usual up the gut for nothing

I think we should use our Tight Ends more consistently over the middle to get the Linebackers and Safeties to peel off and incoporate more roll outs for Luck and Playaction but I still want to run the ball, I have been saying now for a while that 35 pass 27 run is enough pass to be very effective if used properly (Luck has had his best games when he hasn't launched the ball 45 plus times) and 27 runs may in fact not gain much yards but 3 yard gains or 1 broken for more on occasion can wear out the defense as well as setup Playaction, 62 yards is not a tone no but its not that bad on only 16 carries, Before MJD broke that big run he was averaging 4.3 ypc, which good but not great

I definitely fault our coaching staff for not having the right defensive allignment on the long pass play that killed us. You need to rush 3 guys and have 8 guys back in pass protection for that type of situation, that way you just give up the short stuff with them having no timeouts most likely time would have run out on them. I did not see that type of defensive allignment on that play(not even close) that was necessary to stop that long pass from going to the house, and of course us not winning the game by not using the appropriate pass protection allignment!

I blame the loss on Pagano and nobody else. He was playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

We were at home with all of the momentum and with a #1 overall qb, you have to be aggressive.

Right I am sure he told Brown right before that TD "Okay Brown don't cover this guy just let him get past you and score a TD, hey if you can make it look like you are lost out there while you are at it.". The players didn't get it done period.

I blame the loss on Pagano and nobody else. He was playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

We were at home with all of the momentum and with a #1 overall qb, you have to be aggressive.

I have to somewhat agree with you on this. That last drive was frustrating...we just gave them a minute left by consistently running the ball and simply playing for the field goal. Our defense can never be trusted this season to close out a game, even against the Jags.

Personally, I have never been a fan of trying to play it safe rather than being aggressive. I was hoping for more of that out of Pagano in the 4th quarter, especially when we have nothing to lose. I can fully see the counterargument though, because if Luck throws a pick on that last drive then the coach is still blamed for his strategy.

I have to somewhat agree with you on this. That last drive was frustrating...we just gave them a minute left by consistently running the ball and simply playing for the field goal. Our defense can never be trusted this season to close out a game, even against the Jags.

Personally, I have never been a fan of trying to play it safe rather than being aggressive. I was hoping for more of that out of Pagano in the 4th quarter, especially when we have nothing to lose. I can fully see the counterargument though, because if Luck throws a pick on that last drive then the coach is still blamed for his strategy.

We did have something to lose...the game and we lost the game which is why people are so upset about it.

We did have something to lose...the game and we lost the game which is why people are so upset about it.

Thank you for the clarification but I meant that in a different context. We're coming off a 2-14 season with a brand new system and rookie qb. In my opinion, the colts are a team with nothing to lose this year.

Thank you for the clarification but I meant that in a different context. We're coming off a 2-14 season with a brand new system and rookie qb. In my opinion, the colts are a team with nothing to lose this year.

Other than games which is after all why you play... If we had nothing to lose people wouldn't be upset we lost Sunday.

What about 'money' missing a chip shot?

What about refusing to go for it on 4th & 1. One yard wins the game.

Wasting a timeout on that challenge (if we had a time out on that last drive????)

Luck throwing a crucial interception when we had good field position to score (and potentially deny them a FG)

What about our inept pass rush?

etc.

There were many reasons we lost. Not just bad play calling. Not just bad D on the two TD drives for the Jags.

Why do fans NEED to have a specific reason on which to pin a loss?

What about 'money' missing a chip shot?

Adam's kick didn't really hurt us. He pretty much got a do over a minute later in game time and hit it. In a very strange way with the way things played out him missing the first kick probably helped increase our chances of winning because had he made the first kick we give the ball to the Jags with just under two minutes to go and all three time outs. They wouldn't have just sat on the ball like they did just to make us use our timeouts and give it right back to us. They would have probably worked the ball down the field to set up a last second field goal try for Scobee.

What about refusing to go for it on 4th & 1. One yard wins the game.

Go watch the end of the Lions and Titans game Sunday and see why that is not a good idea.

Wasting a timeout on that challenge (if we had a time out on that last drive????)

I didn't get that myself it was clear Powers was out of bounds on the INT.

Luck throwing a crucial interception when we had good field position to score (and potentially deny them a FG)

Rookie mistake no question.

What about our inept pass rush?

Hopefully when Freeney comes back and we have duel threat again it'll be better. It has to be better for us to have any kind of chances vs. the Packers.

etc.

There were many reasons we lost. Not just bad play calling. Not just bad D on the two TD drives for the Jags.

Yep we were out played, we lost the turnover battle, had more penalty yards and didn't make enough plays you don't win many games when that happens.

Why do fans NEED to have a specific reason on which to pin a loss?

Good Question.

Other than games which is after all why you play... If we had nothing to lose people wouldn't be upset we lost Sunday.

Wait, what? I never knew that you play to win, thanks again for the enlightenment.

Context my friend, I think my generalized comment is a little bit over your head but that's alright. Also, count me as one person who is not too upset. I'm just looking for improvement week to week and everything is win/win for me. A W is nice, but so is a lottery pick next year. People that are upset need to keep things in perspective and chill out their expectations.

Wait, what? I never knew that you play to win, thanks again for the enlightenment.

Context my friend, I think my generalized comment is a little bit over your head but that's alright. Also, count me as one person who is not too upset. I'm just looking for improvement week to week and everything is win/win for me. A W is nice, but so is a lottery pick next year. People that are upset need to keep things in perspective and chill out their expectations.

Then don't say they had nothing to lose because clearly they did. I hate that statement and this is why they did have something to lose the game. If they didn't have anything to lose then people wouldn't be upset that they lost.

had nothing to do with the coaching..

We have a team that's just been put together this fall.....and we're short 2 defensive starters

When you dont have guys who have played together for years..there are a lot of breakdowns.

I hate to say it..but we havent even hit the tough part fo the schedule yet....

There will be more breakdowns...a lot more

IMO Hambone, you are right. The Coaches don't trust Luck. Luck has been very inconsistant in his play. Luck averages under 2 TDs per game, so the lack of trust is understandable. I do agree that the play calling in the 2nd half of all the games so far has been coservative, but this may come from the lack of consistancy of the play of Luck.

I don't believe our coaching is the issue. The issue is player talent and lack of execution. Our current players, although talented, are young and inexperienced. They make mistakes that I believe won't be repeated as they gain experience in the system. I am lucky in that I get to see all the NFL games via the networks and NFL Sunday Ticket and the Colts coaching staff and how they scheme and manage a game is on par with the better teams in the league.

I watched the game in a bar so it was not easy to remember everything that went on. I do think we had an opportunity to run more time off the clock rather than leave Jax with a full minute.

My feeling is coaches were more concerned with losing on a FG then a pass beating us. Let's face it their QB didn't do anything all day until that td pass. He got more yards on that one pass than he had on all the other passing plays.

I watch games and then read this board and wonder if I had somehow missed watching the same game that others watched. We lost this game because we gave up way too many yards on the ground, two huge plays, lost the turnover battle, and had too many penalties. The big reason we lost is that we have too little talent in key positions.

While I would be a little more aggressive in the second half, that is the least of our problems.

As far as Adam missing that chip shot not being important, if he had made it our last drive could have focused on getting a field goal for the win instead of the hail mary to Reggie.

By the way, didn't we draft Fleenor because he is 6'6" and can jump just for those situations?

Just as I didn't blame Caldwell for all of our problems last year, I don't think that coaching was the problem Sunday.

I watch games and then read this board and wonder if I had somehow missed watching the same game that others watched. We lost this game because we gave up way too many yards on the ground, two huge plays, lost the turnover battle, and had too many penalties. The big reason we lost is that we have too little talent in key positions.

While I would be a little more aggressive in the second half, that is the least of our problems.

As far as Adam missing that chip shot not being important, if he had made it our last drive could have focused on getting a field goal for the win instead of the hail mary to Reggie.

By the way, didn't we draft Fleenor because he is 6'6" and can jump just for those situations?

Just as I didn't blame Caldwell for all of our problems last year, I don't think that coaching was the problem Sunday.

If Adam makes that kick the whole game changes because the jags don't sit on the ball to make us use our timeouts. They get the ball back with two minutes to go and three time outs. Odds are the way they had been moving the ball in the second half they go down the field to set up scobee for a last second kick and we don't see the ball again.

Being aggressive and being reckless are not the same thing. There was simply nothing conservative about our playcalling in the second half. It was balanced, and if not for two defensive mistakes and a turnover, the game would have been over.

I don't think the coaching was bad, i just don't think it was aggressive as it should have been in the second half, Terrible calls/reffing also attributed to the reason we lost, Offense and Defense had there woes as well but its apart of the game (any given Sunday) its hard to single out one retrospect and point the finger.

I totally agree! The best is yet to come and it takes time to build a monster. Luck is just going to get better and better and so will our team. I'm just looking forward for years to come. We could build a dynasty!