Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PAGANO COST US THE GAME TOO CONSERVATIVE

coltsin06

after Donald Brown makes the big play down the sideline to the 30 yard line with a little over a minute left, Pagano just decides to run the ball 3 times and kick a field goal, letting them use their timeouts to stop the clock and get the ball back with 54 seconds. HORRENDOUS JOB OF CLOCK MANAGEMENT!!!!!! You keep playing aggressively throwing the ball, moving the chains trying to get the first down. If we got one more first down they would've run out of timeouts and we would've been able to run the clock down to 2 seconds and have Viniatieri kick the game winner and the game would've been over. I have absolutely no clue what he was thinking. That cost us the game. If we can see it as fans how can the head coach not see that. Maddening.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He absolutely did.

I knew they would lose this game when he sat on the 14-3 lead. And slowly, with every opportunity he played defeatist football at every turn.

Either learn a lesson or you'll be not for long. Thanks for ruining my weekend and ensuring a horrible start to my week, pagano.

Why draft a kid #1 overall if you won't just put the game in his hands? So silly.

I am pretty sure Pagano doesn't call the plays for offense. With that said let's say we had kept throwing there and Luck throws in completes passes or worse yet gets picked then what would we be saying? That the coaches cost us the game because they didn't try to run out the clock. This is just using 20/20 hind site to try to rip the coaches because we are upset that the Colts lost.

WIth all the trouble we have running the ball up the middle, why not more ptch plays, screens things to get Donald where he is the strongest in open field.....but no lets keep running up the middle and getting nothing. OHH we have the lead 14-3 yea thats enough of a lead to LAY DOWN and not play to the clock hits 0. This is awful.....i said it when AV made the field goal, 1 point lead means Jack S*** and boy was i right.

WIth all the trouble we have running the ball up the middle, why not more ptch plays, screens things to get Donald where he is the strongest in open field.....but no lets keep running up the middle and getting nothing. OHH we have the lead 14-3 yea thats enough of a lead to LAY DOWN and not play to the clock hits 0. This is awful.....i said it when AV made the field goal, 1 point lead means Jack S*** and boy was i right.

sorry "PITCH PLAYS"

I am pretty sure Pagano doesn't call the plays for offense. With that said let's say we had kept throwing there and Luck throws in completes passes or worse yet gets picked then what would we be saying? That the coaches cost us the game because they didn't try to run out the clock. This is just using 20/20 hind site to try to rip the coaches because we are upset that the Colts lost.

Absolutely right. I'm upset they lost too, but what would we be saying if Andrew threw a pick 6 when we were in FG range down by 2? That catch by Shorts was RIDICULOUS-- we simply didn't get it done in the 3rd quarter. Also, that missed PI call on Avery (I think?) that forced the punt earlier on was costly.

PAGANO COST US THE GAME

Giving up an 80 yard TD in one play didn't help.

I made this same comment last week. The attitude of Colt fans is an interesting study. In this instance, 95% of football fans out there would blame their defense. What do Colt fans blame? Play calling. Why is that? Because they have simply accepted the fact they have a pathetic defense. They're used to playing with no defense. They're used to Manning winning every single game for them.

You are correct Pagano does not call Offensive play calls that is all Bruce Arians.

I thought we should have threw for the first down on 3rd down right before the last FG that Vinny hit. Now as it turns out, Vinny barely made it as it was and Brown came a yard away from getting the first down. But the Jags had a timeout and were gonna stop the clock anyway so i would have liked to seen them take a chance. That being said, there is no excuse to lose the game in the fashion we did. An 80 yard TD pass with no timeouts left, that cannot happen.

I think we played it correctly at the end there. You can't tell me that taking the lead and forcing Blaine Gabbert to win the game with his arm is the wrong call. He's not Joe frickin' Montana. We just screwed up on defense, and now y'all are suffering an acute case of hindsight bias.

A decision isn't right or wrong based just on what actually ended up happening. Making the Jaguars burn their timeouts by running the ball and ultimately kicking a field goal was the right thing to do. We were very close to getting a first down running the ball as well, which would have given us the win. Otherwise you're just blaming the offensive play calling for allowing an 80 yard touchdown on defense, which is absurd.

Sorry, I don't agree. They played exactly as they should have, making the Jags use all their TOs. Personally, I would have liked to see a Luck rollout or bootleg on third down, although it worked out right.

Just a freak play at the end, against a bad CB.

They wouldn't have time for a freak play, if we had played aggressively and thrown the ball and got another first down they would've run out of timeouts and we could've run the clock down to 2 secs

before we kicked the field goal

Absolutely right. I'm upset they lost too, but what would we be saying if Andrew threw a pick 6 when we were in FG range down by 2? That catch by Shorts was RIDICULOUS-- we simply didn't get it done in the 3rd quarter. Also, that missed PI call on Avery (I think?) that forced the punt earlier on was costly.

Yes it was and by no means do I think the refs did a good job at all but I look at it even with them were in a poistion to have the lead and then our defense blew it. People can complain about the refs and blame them for the loss (not saying you are) but we can't do anything about the refs we can do something about the defense and clearly they had a hand in this and I agree with you whatever we are doing on offense in the third quarter is just not working.

He doesn't but the head coach tells the coordinator if he wants them to play it a little conservative or stay aggressive in those situations with leads

They wouldn't have time for a freak play, if we had played aggressively and thrown the ball and got another first down they would've run out of timeouts and we could've run the clock down to 2 secs

You are just assuming we would have gotten a first down in there. Say Luck throws three straight incomplete passes there and gives the ball back to the Jags after the kick with like 1:30 left and three time outs then people would be screaming we should have run the ball to run the Jags out of time outs. The Colts did the smart thing they made Jacksonville use their timeouts and frankly almost got a first down there on the last run play. If you want to be mad there be mad they didn't do a better job running on the first two downs as they did on the third or be mad that the defense got burned for a 80 yard TD pass when they knew the Jags had to be going down the field.

You are just assuming we would have gotten a first down in there. Say Luck throws three straight incomplete passes there and gives the ball back to the Jags after the kick with like 1:30 left and three time outs then people would be screaming we should have run the ball to run the Jags out of time outs. The Colts did the smart thing they made Jacksonville use their timeouts and frankly almost got a first down there on the last run play. If you want to be mad there be mad they didn't do a better job running on the first two downs as they did on the third or be mad that the defense got burned for a 80 yard TD pass when they knew the Jags had to be going down the field.

This.

Way too much hindsight going on in here.

Sorry, I'll have to disagree. You're assuming we make the first down. It could have been incomplete, fumbled, or intercepted.

No problem with the call here. Hindsight is ...

I think it is fair to say the play calling is too conservative. Two weeks now that we have been ahead,the offense does absolutely nothing. We suddenly turn into an offense that runs the balls and puts. Burn up the clock. Not until the offense has some urgency that they start moving the ball again.

The Colts are lucky they aren't 0-3. I think if the offense was more aggressive,we would be 2-1

Sorry i don't agree with most of you since no pagano didnt cost us the game Arians did. If we are going to run the clock out at the end of the game then we need to be establishing our freaking run game in the first 3 quarters. Not expect it to all of a sudden JumpStart. Also Arians is and always will be a horrid play caller since Pit. He has no idea how to call a game and this and the last 2 games should prove this point.

Lot of mistakes IMO..

Arians - conservative in 2nd half ..especially 3rd qrt.

Arians on the running play calling... why don;t we see more plays like DB did at the end.

2ndary needs more time and coaching... Bad Miss on the 80 yd TD teams are still racking up yards.

Davis multiple PI's.. costly 3pts

Lucks Int.. I think that resulted in 3pts.

Take the Chains OFF Luck!!!

Receivers dropped alot of passes today.

Why did Andrew not look on the left side of the end zone on the last play.. he had 2 receivers down there with only 1 defender on each .. at least that's what it looked like.. I am limited to viewing only on laptop

Giving up an 80 yard TD in one play didn't help.

I made this same comment last week. The attitude of Colt fans is an interesting study. In this instance, 95% of football fans out there would blame their defense. What do Colt fans blame? Play calling. Why is that? Because they have simply accepted the fact they have a pathetic defense. They're used to playing with no defense. They're used to Manning winning every single game for them.

Look around the league. Trying to win a game when your offense scores 14 or 17 points is a tall order for even an elite level defense.

I know throwing the ball would've been more risky because of a pick or incompletions, I just feel like with the state of our defense being not very good still, playing aggressive and let Andrew throw the ball and try to run the clock out would've been worth it, rather than just saying alright we'll take the field goal and hand the ball back to you with a minute left. At the end of the day still no excuse for an 80 yard play on defense to lose the game

Look around the league. Trying to win a game when your offense scores 14 or 17 points is a tall order for even an elite level defense.

But that's kind of irrelevant for late-game playcalling.

In point of fact if you have a lead of 17-16 with 1 minute left, you're probably more likely to win than if you have a lead of 31-30 with 1 minute left, given how the offenses have been performing that day.

I think we played it correctly at the end there. You can't tell me that taking the lead and forcing Blaine Gabbert to win the game with his arm is the wrong call. He's not Joe frickin' Montana. We just screwed up on defense, and now y'all are suffering an acute case of hindsight bias.

A decision isn't right or wrong based just on what actually ended up happening. Making the Jaguars burn their timeouts by running the ball and ultimately kicking a field goal was the right thing to do. We were very close to getting a first down running the ball as well, which would have given us the win. Otherwise you're just blaming the offensive play calling for allowing an 80 yard touchdown on defense, which is absurd.

The game should have never came to that in the first place! This is a pattern. We saw the SAME thing last week but was fortunate to pull out the win. I put this on Chuck because that is one thing Bruce likes to do is air it out with his qbs so I'm sure Chuck is letting it be known (says it all the time) that he wants to run the ball but you still need to score.

I am not jumping on firing Pagano bandwagon. He is learning to the ropes he never been an head coach in the NFL. I will still give him time. But I did not see him field on the defense giving the Jags a touchdown. There was a lot of blame today and I am not going to put the blame totally on him. We need to remember he is a rookie as well.

The game should have never came to that in the first place! This is a pattern. We saw the SAME thing last week but was fortunate to pull out the win. I put this on Chuck because that is one thing Bruce likes to do is air it out with his qbs so I'm sure Chuck is letting it be known (says it all the time) that he wants to run the ball but you still need to score.

You just posted my exact thoughts! Build a lead, run the ball, then lose it!