Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the first overall pick, the _____________ select Matt Barkley

There is no doubt that Matt Barkely will be the first overall pick. Here are my choices of the Top 5 list:

-Tennessee Titans-Probably the team less likely to be first overall pick but in the top 5. Jake Locker is still in his second year.

-Jacksonville Jaguars-Not sure if Gabbert is starter material

-Cleveland Browns- Brandon Weeden may be 3rd string material. They have not had much luck in the draft with their picks except for their LT i forgot his name but got selected before Brady Quinn.

-Buffalo Bills-They just have bad luck overall with their team. They start out strong and do horrible the second half of the season

-Minnesota Vikings-Christian Ponder is pretty much questionable.

Every team in the NFL seems to have their quarterbacks set except for these 5. What do you think?

raiders

The reason I didnt put the Raiders is because they dont have a first round pick next year until the second. They couldve easily been #1 but idr who they gave it to. I think it was for Carson Palmer or Richard Seymour.

But they definitely would have been #1 and wont make any stupid picks now that Al Davis is gone...(rip Al btw...)

I could imagine them getting a future kick returner in the #1 pick rather then a good quarterback....

Actually, there is lots and lots and lots of doubt that Barkley is going to be the first pick. And for lots of very good reasons.

Two of them are these....

First, he's got no elite skill. No elite arm, or size, or athleticism. They rate as good.

Second, recent USC quarterbacks in the pros have not done well. Sanchez, Booty and Leinert. May not be fair, but Barkley will take a hit for that. Why? Because you just aren't sure if the reason USC often looks so good is the QB, or all the great talent surrounding the QB?

Third, did you see what Stanford did to Barkley last week? QB's who are 1st overall picks in the draft rarely have a game like that in their senior year.

Will he got 1st? Maybe. But it's a far cry from the sure thing you seem to think...

As for which team? Way too early.... we can start thinking about it in November.... but I think several of the teams you list are clearly and easily wrong.... Tennessee, Cleveland and Minnesota will, in all likelihood not be looking for a QB next spring. Even J'Ville is too early to know.

But KC might. And Arizona might. Heck, the Jets might. And Oakland surely might. At least you have Buffalo on the list.

Sorry, didn't mean to be too hard on you.... but it's still September, too early to make big conclusions.

Actually, there is lots and lots and lots of doubt that Barkley is going to be the first pick. And for lots of very good reasons.

Two of them are these....

First, he's got no elite skill. No elite arm, or size, or athleticism. They rate as good.

Second, recent USC quarterbacks in the pros have not done well. Sanchez, Booty and Leinert. May not be fair, but Barkley will take a hit for that. Why? Because you just aren't sure if the reason USC often looks so good is the QB, or all the great talent surrounding the QB?

Third, did you see what Stanford did to Barkley last week? QB's who are 1st overall picks in the draft rarely have a game like that in their senior year.

Will he got 1st? Maybe. But it's a far cry from the sure thing you seem to think...

As for which team? Way too early.... we can start thinking about it in November.... but I think several of the teams you list are clearly and easily wrong.... Tennessee, Cleveland and Minnesota will, in all likelihood not be looking for a QB next spring. Even J'Ville is too early to know.

But KC might. And Arizona might. Heck, the Jets might. And Oakland surely might. At least you have Buffalo on the list.

Sorry, didn't mean to be too hard on you.... but it's still September, too early to make big conclusions.

To be fair he was being pressured the whole game.

To be fair he was being pressured the whole game.

Yes..... he absolutely was, and as a Stanford fan I was darn happy about that!!

That said.... at this point, I don't see a clear and obvious #1 overall pick.

I'm hoping that helps us. I'm hoping there will be a large block of players who have relatively the same grade. I'm hoping we like more than one player and that it gives us multiple options for trading back.

It's all wishing right now on my part.... and lots and lots will change between now and late April.... but that's my early thinking for now....

This is going to be the most open NFL season in recent memory. A team like us could jump to 10 wins and a Pats team could potentially get only 4-5 wins. By week 5, we could have 28 teams at 2-2. This is going to be a great year for football though. Open seasons are great for every team and their fans, because there team has a chance to win (except vs SF49)

This is going to be the most open NFL season in recent memory. A team like us could jump to 10 wins and a Pats team could potentially get only 4-5 wins. By week 5, we could have 28 teams at 2-2. This is going to be a great year for football though. Open seasons are great for every team and their fans, because there team has a chance to win (except vs SF49)

Steagles....

I know what you're saying, and I agree in the broadest possible sense...

That said.... I disagree with the two specifics you offered.... there's next to no chance that the Colts could end up with 10 wins and there is zero chance the Pats could end up with 4-5 wins.

Really. Seriously.

Could we surprise and win 7-8 games? Sure.

Could the Pats surprise and only win 8-9 games and miss the playoffs? Sure, Tom Brady could get hurt.

But the chances of either happening are very slim.

Again, in broad terms about this looking like an evenly matched and balanced season with lots of parity, I agree. It's the specifics that mess with my head..... :cool:

There is no doubt that Matt Barkely will be the first overall pick. Here are my choices of the Top 5 list:

-Tennessee Titans-Probably the team less likely to be first overall pick but in the top 5. Jake Locker is still in his second year.

-Cleveland Browns- Brandon Weeden may be 3rd string material. They have not had much luck in the draft with their picks except for their LT i forgot his name but got selected before Brady Quinn.

-Buffalo Bills-They just have bad luck overall with their team. They start out strong and do horrible the second half of the season

Every team in the NFL seems to have their quarterbacks set except for these 5. What do you think?

have to disagree with last one ponder is pretty good qb jus aint got best things around him like us but i dont think vikings will take a qb

The reason I didnt put the Raiders is because they dont have a first round pick next year until the second. They couldve easily been #1 but idr who they gave it to. I think it was for Carson Palmer or Richard Seymour.

But they definitely would have been #1 and wont make any stupid picks now that Al Davis is gone...(rip Al btw...)

I could imagine them getting a future kick returner in the #1 pick rather then a good quarterback....

Actually, I think the Raiders **DO** have a 1st round draft pick in 2013.

My understanding of the draft for Palmer was a #1 in 2012 and a conditional #1 in 2013. I think it's already been revealed that the likelihood is that the pick going to Cincy to complete the deal is a #2, and not a #1. So, I think the Raiders will indeed have that 1st pick.

I don't think what I've posted is a 100% sure fire lock. But I think it's close. At least, that's what I've read....

They gave it to the Bungholes for Carson, I doubt they go after Barkley

You're thinking of Joe Thomas, and that guy is a stud LT. Weeden looks like cr@p. They have a decent QB in McCoy (not elite, decent) and need to give him the starting job back, unless they absolutely want to go 0-16.

From most likely to least likely and this includes possible trade ups for the pick

1.Raiders -Carson Palmer is by no means sucking it up, but the Raiders could use a fresh start and they may just end up picking 1st

2.Buccaneers-It's factless speculation, but my gut tells me the Bucs are going to reload on offense next year starting with a rookie QB

3.Cardinals-Neither Kolb nor Skelton appear to be a long term solution.

4.Chiefs- Similar to number 1 ^^^

6.Jaguars- I'm not a Gabbert hater, but he still seems like he's not a long term option.

7.Jets- I'm not a Sanchez hater either, but I think it's possible the organization with be ready to be rid of him if the Jets don't finish well.

8.Bills-I just think they could end up in a feasible spot to swoop up and grab Barkley.

You're thinking of Joe Thomas, and that guy is a stud LT. Weeden looks like cr@p. They have a decent QB in McCoy (not elite, decent) and need to give him the starting job back, unless they absolutely want to go 0-16.

I been saying QB was never the Browns problem to begin with, No QB would look good throwing to the crap receivers they have, They lead the league once again this year so far in dropped passes http://stats.washing...ge=NFL&rank=232, I got that from Stats LLC from what it looks like so I think its Legit without me going back and counting every dropped pass myself