Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts get new OT

CS Colts Fan

just saw on Colts.com

picked up Bradley Sowell OT from Tampa's PS

NDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts today signed offensive tackle Bradley Sowell from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad to the 53-man roster.

Sowell, 6-7, 320 pounds, is in his rookie season after being signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent on April 30, 2012. He competed in 49 collegiate contests (36 starts) at the University of Mississippi and was named an All-SEC second-team selection by The Associated Press in 2010 and a third-team choice by College Sport Madness in 2011. In 2010, Sowell was part of an Ole Miss offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the conference while helping the offense rank third in rushing. In 2009, he helped Mississippi’s offense rank 14th in the country in sacks allowed while blocking for Dexter McCluster’s 1,169-yard season, the second-highest total in Ole Miss history.

Hope this helps

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw on Colts.com

picked up Bradley Sowell OT from Tampa's PS

NDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts today signed offensive tackle Bradley Sowell from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad to the 53-man roster.

Sowell, 6-7, 320 pounds, is in his rookie season after being signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent on April 30, 2012. He competed in 49 collegiate contests (36 starts) at the University of Mississippi and was named an All-SEC second-team selection by The Associated Press in 2010 and a third-team choice by College Sport Madness in 2011. In 2010, Sowell was part of an Ole Miss offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the conference while helping the offense rank third in rushing. In 2009, he helped Mississippi’s offense rank 14th in the country in sacks allowed while blocking for Dexter McCluster’s 1,169-yard season, the second-highest total in Ole Miss history.

Hope this helps

almost like getting a free low round draft choice..

..here's where our GM, a former lineman, has to find us some help at the spot we most need it...and maybe he has

I wouldn't be surprised to see them both start this week.

Just because they are new doesn't mean they know the playbook yet and doesn't mean they are better than what we had. If they were don't you think Grigson would have brought them in sooner? I am not saying they can't be but if they were so much better than what the Colts had I doubt they would have been on the market to start with. I hope they are better but I don't think it's a sure thing.

A scouting analysis of Sowell on ProFootballWeekly.com

Notes:

Also earned three letters in baseball as a Mississippi prep. Redshirted in 2007. Saw action in all 13 games in ’08, playing both tackle and tight end, catching a one-yard touchdown pass. Took over the left tackle position in ’09 and started 12 games, missing only the Northern Arizona game (academic suspension). Made all 12 starts at left tackle in ’10 and helped Ole Miss lead the conference in fewest sacks allowed. Started all 12 games at OLT spot again in ’11. Team captain.

Positives:

Big body. Functional kick slide. Can functionally block for a short pass drop or lean on defenders and open creases. Generally plays on his feet. Football-smart. Three-year starter with experience matching up with top pass rushers.

Negatives:

Limited strength through his upper body and needs more sand in his pants. Just an adequate athlete. Poor hand use — slow to punch and placement is inconsistent. Game lacks violence and physicality. Not a finisher. Struggles reacting to the blitz. Questionable urgency, motivation and toughness.

Summary:

Big-framed, positional leaner who could compete for a backup job, but is soft-tempered with functional strength deficiencies, and subpar intangibles could be a limiting factor.

Doesn't sound close to the answer. But might be a band-aid for Justice.

A scouting analysis of Sowell on ProFootballWeekly.com

Doesn't sound close to the answer. But might be a band-aid for Justice.

The part where it says "lack of motivation" just screams tony ugoh to me.... i havent seen this guy play but if he lacks motivation he definitely isnt the answer.

The part where it says "lack of motivation" just screams tony ugoh to me.... i havent seen this guy play but if he lacks motivation he definitely isnt the answer.

Yeah i'm not sure. Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Ole Miss last season. Either way...I'll defer to the GM's expertise and see how it goes.

Sunday the line will be AC at LT, Olsen at LG, Satele at C, McGlynn at RG at Link at RT......sorry....it just will be.

Essex knows the Arian's system, but as GoColts8818 says 'they do not know the playbook.' (Never exactly the same terminology) The best thing is he is versatile. The worst is he is versatile because of injuries and losing his position due to said injuries.

I am also with Shakedownstreet: Jeff Saturday was selling insurance? ( I slept since then) Colt fans at the time were laughing at him. He persevered.....it CAN happen. Not going to say this will happen with Sowell.....

Lucas Oil Stadium will be ROCKING. I will once again support whomever we have healthy to suit up until we find adequate replacements or 'reinforcements.' Until the next roster move or Sunday..... :colts: :colts: :colts::coltslogo: :coltslogo:

Sunday the line will be AC at LT, Olsen at LG, Satele at C, McGlynn at RG at Link at RT......sorry....it just will be.

Essex knows the Arian's system, but as GoColts8818 says 'they do not know the playbook.' (Never exactly the same terminology) The best thing is he is versatile. The worst is he is versatile because of injuries and losing his position due to said injuries.

I am also with Shakedownstreet: Jeff Saturday was selling insurance? ( I slept since then) Colt fans at the time were laughing at him. He persevered.....it CAN happen. Not going to say this will happen with Sowell.....

Lucas Oil Stadium will be ROCKING. I will once again support whomever we have healthy to suit up until we find adequate replacements or 'reinforcements.' Until the next roster move or Sunday..... :colts: :colts: :colts::coltslogo: :coltslogo:

I'm not so sure about that. It isn't like he's playing QB, RB, TE, WR or even CB. He's on the O-Line. Long as he knows "hey, I'm run blocking or pass blocking" then he can start. The full terminology can be learned through practice, but obviously he was brought in to replace someone and start now.

Here is his bio from the 2012 Tampa Media Guide

PRO:

xxSigned as an undrafted free agent by the Buccaneers on April 30, 2012.

COLLEGE/PERSONAL:

xxPlayed in 49 games, starting 36 of the final 37.

xxNamed All-SEC second-team by the Associated Press and Phil Steele in 2010 and All-SEC third-team by College Sport Madness in 2011.

xxIn 2010, helped Ole Miss allow the fewest sacks in the SEC and rank third in rushing offense.

xxIn 2009, helped the Ole Miss offense rank second in the SEC and 14th in the country in sacks allowed.

xxBlocked for Dexter McCluster’s 1,169-yard season in 2009, the second-highest total in Ole Miss history.

xxAttended Hernando High School in Hernando, Mississippi.

xxRated as one of the top 30 players in Mississippi by Rivals.com, Scout.com, SuperPrep and the Sun Herald (MS).

xxNamed to the SuperPrep All-Region Team.

xxMajored in Marketing Communications.

xxSon of Diane and Keith Sowell

xxBorn Bradley Keith Sowell on June 6, 1989, in Hernando, Mississippi

I'm not so sure about that. It isn't like he's playing QB, RB, TE, WR or even CB. He's on the O-Line. Long as he knows "hey, I'm run blocking or pass blocking" then he can start. The full terminology can be learned through practice, but obviously he was brought in to replace someone and start now.

I am sure they got signed, (that is about it F18 :))and the coaches will decide if they can play Sunday....they better get them ready to back up....unless there are further roster moves we will once again have two reserve OL. We don't even know if Essex is in game shape...even if he does understand Arian's terminology. We know Sowell was Practice squad with the Bucs.....that is it.

If Essex is ready: Pay him and play him....I say the line stays exactly as mentioned above. You never know, Hayworth Hicks may get activated an Alexander or Kashif gets waived.

I wonder what happened with Person....some had him starting for Justice last week he was 'so good'.......comes up inactive and waived.....

Like I will continue to say.....I will support whomever is battling in the trenches whether this team wins or loses. (Yes I will critique as well)