Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE

Colts12to87

Unless Fleener really works on his blocking(and lately his receiving skills), Allen will probably have the better career. I have kind of thought to myself that Fleener may be better served playing WR. He has the speed and athleticism to play WR and he wouldn't need to block as much.

I agree with TK, but that doesnt make it a smart pick. I was hoping we would get a CB with that pick, D Allen's stock had dropped because of concerns about his speed and he was picked basically where he was projected...I'm glad to have both, and I understand the strategy but we shouldve gotten best available with a high second round choice.

I honestly believe... and this is just my Opinion

I believe Fleener was Taken so early just because of his relationship with Andrew Luck

I believe this as well, Allen is the better TE and he'll show that during the season but i do think fleener will show how dynamic of a TE he is the guy is like a big wideout

I believe this as well, Allen is the better TE and he'll show that during the season but i do think fleener will show how dynamic of a TE he is the guy is like a big wideout

Definitely. I'm not taking anything from Fleener, the guy is a Beast. But Allen is the more "All-Around TE" out of the 2. But all in all, I'm glad we did manage to get both. And we have Domo Jones who did pretty well this Pre-Season. Hope we get him on the field a few times as well

Definitely. I'm not taking anything from Fleener, the guy is a Beast. But Allen is the more "All-Around TE" out of the 2. But all in all, I'm glad we did manage to get both. And we have Domo Jones who did pretty well this Pre-Season. Hope we get him on the field a few times as well

is Jones also going to go in as r FB some times because i notices his number was in the 40 ?

I agree i thnk its safe to say this team is as well rounded as it has been since forever... could be like the marcus pollard days but this time both TE's are young and will be on the field for years to come together... (hopefully)

I agree i thnk its safe to say this team is as well rounded as it has been since forever... could be like the marcus pollard days but this time both TE's are young and will be on the field for years to come together... (hopefully)

Yeah, we can only Hope that this Team doesn't get separated

I honestly believe... and this is just my Opinion

I believe Fleener was Taken so early just because of his relationship with Andrew Luck

just my opinion, but that is utter garbage. to believe that you must have a very low opinion of ryan grigson.

Dwayne Allen did Win the TE of the Year Award (Mackey).

So you would think the BEST in the Nation TE would've went 1st imo

Sorry, can't agree here.....

Saying the person who wins some college award should be drafted higher, is saying that whoever wins the Heisman Trophy as the nation's best player should always be drafted first.

And I don't think you believe that for a second.......

Sorry, can't agree here.....

Saying the person who wins some college award should be drafted higher, is saying that whoever wins the Heisman Trophy as the nation's best player should always be drafted first.

And I don't think you believe that for a second.......

No seriously, Allen is the BEST TE. Allen is better than Fleener hands down. Now RG3 better than Luck? NO

Do I believe Allen is the better all round prototypical TE? Yes.

Do I believe both will play similar roles in our offense? No.

They are both tagged as Tight Ends, and they will have some over-lapping responsibilities.

However, I don't see Allen splitting out wide much (if at all), and I don't see Fleener playing HB much.

They're different, and complimentary, and offer the offense a lot of flexibility.

I'm happy with both.

If being the second TE picked in the draft inspired Allen, I'm all for that also.

No seriously, Allen is the BEST TE. Allen is better than Fleener hands down. Now RG3 better than Luck? NO

Seriously, you haven't seen enough to know if your statement is true. It may be true. But it may not be.

But the argument was he should be drafted higher because he won an award. If he should be drafted higher it should have little to nothing to do with an award. It should be because he's better -- period. Just like winning a Heisman didn't make guys like Gino Torretta or Charlie Ward NFL quarterbacks.

Winning an award means nothing to the NFL.

Seriously, you haven't seen enough to know if your statement is true. It may be true. But it may not be.

But the argument was he should be drafted higher because he won an award. If he should be drafted higher it should have little to nothing to do with an award. It should be because he's better -- period. Just like winning a Heisman didn't make guys like Gino Torretta or Charlie Ward NFL quarterbacks.

Winning an award means nothing to the NFL.

I said he should've been Drafted because of the Award & because he was the BEST TE in College Football that year..... Period. Everyone has their own perspectives. But imo, I'll take Allen over Fleener.

Botttomline: We got Both so Allen Fans & Fleener Fans are now Happy

Dwayne Allen did Win the TE of the Year Award (Mackey).

So you would think the BEST in the Nation TE would've went 1st imo

I believe Allen is the better TE. But winning the mackey doesnt make you the better NFL TE prospect. Thats like saying the Heisman winner is the best NFL prospect. A lot of the time they are busts to mediocre players in the NFL.

I believe Allen is the better TE. But winning the mackey doesnt make you the better NFL TE prospect. Thats like saying the Heisman winner is the best NFL prospect. A lot of the time they are busts to mediocre players in the NFL.

I'm not saying that. And the Heisman is just a bunch of Fans hopping on the bandwagon of a player who came out of nowhere Ex: (RG3, Newton, & the Honey Badger)

I don't respect the Heisman trophy the way I use to anymore. No way Luck loses TWICE in a row to a QB that gets this magical season after being a NOBODY (No Pun intended to the User Nobody on the Forum lol) their entire college career.

But the other awards like the Best QB & all that are usually accurate. imo

So for the Best TE (Award-Wise & Skill Wise) to slip to the 3rd Round in the Draft, was definitely shocking to me. But imo, getting Luck, Fleener, & Allen was a STEAL in the Draft on our Part. You get a TE-Happy QB, then get 2 of the Best TE's in the Game, that is a Steal imo

I'm not saying that. And the Heisman is just a bunch of Fans hopping on the bandwagon of a player who came out of nowhere Ex: (RG3, Newton, & the Honey Badger)

I don't respect the Heisman trophy the way I use to anymore. No way Luck loses TWICE in a row to a QB that gets this magical season after being a NOBODY (No Pun intended to the User Nobody on the Forum lol) their entire college career.

But the other awards like the Best QB & all that are usually accurate. imo

So for the Best TE (Award-Wise & Skill Wise) to slip to the 3rd Round in the Draft, was definitely shocking to me. But imo, getting Luck, Fleener, & Allen was a STEAL in the Draft on our Part. You get a TE-Happy QB, then get 2 of the Best TE's in the Game, that is a Steal imo

I agree that getting Luck Fleener and Allen was a steal. Allen probably only fell to the 3rd because of the depth of this draft. I prolly did take it a bit far with the Heisman though.

I agree that getting Luck Fleener and Allen was a steal. Allen probably only fell to the 3rd because of the depth of this draft. I prolly did take it a bit far with the Heisman though.

If that's your opinion on the Heisman, than that's you. Personally, I look at the Heisman like the Pro Bowl........ It's just a Popularity Contest. Ex: RG3 flashing his Superman Socks. I guarantee that had a part in him Winning smh

But getting those 3 were a Steal. And maybe it was because of the Depth, or maybe the other 31 Teams just overlooked him. But either way, Allen & Fleener are going to terrorize the NFL for many years to come

I Agree with most that Allen is the more well rounded actuall TE. He is is just more complete mainly meaning his blocking game. Fleener is more of flex TE/WR hybrid guy but leaning more towards a reciever. Fleener is a great pass catcher and solid route runner with great speed for his size. Now I know he has droped some passes early on here so we want to think that he can't catch or has bad hands but its stil very early and he is still getting used to the game. I think he just needs to get comfortable with the offense and let the game come to him. He's probably having to think a little to much right now. Hes gonna come around slowly but surley I just feel it. he's just is gonna need a little more time to adjust then we anticipated. Both are gonna be dangerous for a long time a cause alot of problems especially with the speed we have at wide reciever to compliment them.

Unless Fleener really works on his blocking(and lately his receiving skills), Allen will probably have the better career. I have kind of thought to myself that Fleener may be better served playing WR. He has the speed and athleticism to play WR and he wouldn't need to block as much.

Completely agree and would love to see him actually in the slot more than on the line. He would have so many mismatches along with Allen being the sleeper off the line. Also if Fleener had to block it would prob end up being a LB'er or safety/corner instead of a DE or LB'er off the edge all the time like it seems now.

Hopefully this is something we actually see more of in the regular season.

I think what hurt Allen was the offense he was in at Clemson. Had he been in more of a pass offense like Fleener was he would have been higher but I think he was looked at more as a blocker than a receiver and its clear his receiving skills were underrated.

By the way to the one poster who said they thought it was rediculous that they got Fleener just because of Luck, I wouldn't find that shocking at all. Both are already comfortable with each other and Im not sure Fleener makes it out of the 2nd. Sure, he was picked on his talent but I think his familiarity with Luck also had a lot of weight to him being picked.

Perhaps it wasn't that Fleener is the better TE but that Fleener fits what we wanted to do as an offense better than Allen... And perhaps they knew Allen would be there early in the 3rd round and we could get him as well...

As has been said, they both play the TE position but their skill sets are very different. Fleener can cause matchup problems in the secondary by moving all over the line or splitting out wide. Allen is versitile in that he can block, play FB, and has good hands.

The main point is that its good to have them both on our team. Hopefully Allen doesn't let the fact that he was a 3rd round pick negatively affect his play. And hopefully Fleener doesn't let being a 2nd round pick go to his head and affect his play as well...

allen still belives he should have been the first TE taken in the nfl draft.

my question is who will do better in the nfl Allen or Fleener ?

right now i really like fleener because his hight and his speed. but allen is really impressing me more ..

Allen`s 40 was so slow it says historically, he will have trouble creating seperation. Simple.

Fleeners 40 was so fast it says LB`s and safeties can`t cover him. Fleener 4.51 DClark 4.67 we know what he could do, including dropping some passes.

They are Pleased enough with Fleeners blocking already to put him blocking in-line. Give him a Year to improve.

Clark was POOR at this to the very end.

We can look forward to Fleener splitting out a lot, blocking well from there and spreading out the D downfield. Yes 19yds per catch last season with Andrew.

With an Elite, Accurate, Mobile, quick reading QB like Luck, Allen should be Very Good working underneath.

Improve the O-Line next season, add a year or two of experience developing knowledge/chemistry, it is not hard to Vision the Colts O becoming Elite Soon!

No kidding, A chain moving MONSTER!!

Andrew needs to use his mobility like Romo, Rogers, Brees to create time, because with Reggie, Collie, Avery, T.Y., and the rest, this can be some serious ammo Now.

I'm getting really worried about Fleener's hands. He dropped a lot of passes in the preseason, and I understand he did so sporadically in TC also. I personally don't see what all the squawking about his blocking is all about. He looks pretty good in that area to me for a receiving TE. Now, if you compare him to TEs that are brought into this league with the purpose of being blocking TEs, then he doesn't measure up. But, we all know that that is not what Fleener was drafted for...