Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabin Sambrano: Will he Make the Team?

Andy

*A quick article I put together, haven't been on the forum much, been way too busy lately...hope you guys enjoy this*

Colts undrafted free agent Jabin Sambrano has been stellar in his short time with the Colts. Does he have a chance at making the 53 man roster?

One of the storylines that has surprised many including myself has been the play of Jabin Sambrano. Sambrano was a undrafted free agent, and was really expected to be a camp body. Well, that wasn't the case.

At the 3 day rookie minicamp, all eyes were on Andrew Luck, with some on Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen. No one was watching Sambrano, but he quietly emerged as the best receiver during that minicamp. His routes were crisp, he looked fast and he didn't drop any passes. He even impressed Andrew saying:

"[Jabin] looked great out there."

Then they went to the full team minicamp, where he would be playing with Reggie Wayne, and Austin Collie. He didn't back them, and arguably was the most impressive out of the 3 of them. Reggie and Austin looked solid, but Jabin's work ethic and explosiveness stole the show. People would be asking eachother: "Who's that number 85?" or "Are you sure Pierre Garcon is not with the Colts?" He's been generating a lot of talk.

Now, is he good enough to make the roster? Even though he looked really impressive in the 2 minicamps, it doesn't mean he'll make the team. 2 minicamps aren't enough to make the team. He has to show consistency, and with training camp coming up in a few weeks, that's where he'll have to shine the brighest, and maintain his consistency. If he could shine their, he'll definitely make the roster going into the preseason, where again he'll have to shine.

Because he's an undrafted rookie free agent, he's at a disadvantage to the other guys like Reggie, Austin, or Donnie. He's lucky that TY Hilton and Lavon Brazill are rookies too. He has to work double what every else does, just to have a chance at making the team.

Needless to say, he's been great, and I rather have a hard working guy less talented guy than a skilled slacker. Jabin Sambrano is a great story and personally, I hope he makes the team. Now the answer to my question: Will he make the team? As of right now, NO, but if he has an impressive training camp and a solid preseason, he'll probably make the practice squad and be the first guy called up if an injury happens.

I like everything I've heard about him and from him, and I like that he signed here of his own will. But I think he's #6 right now, behind Reggie, Austin, Hilton, Brazill and Avery. If one of those guys gets hurt and isn't ready to go active in Week 1, Sambrano might sneak on the active roster. Other than that, I think he's destined for the practice squad, simply because we have more invested in the other rookies, and Avery is a proven vet.

I like everything I've heard about him and from him, and I like that he signed here of his own will. But I think he's #6 right now, behind Reggie, Austin, Hilton, Brazill and Avery. If one of those guys gets hurt and isn't ready to go active in Week 1, Sambrano might sneak on the active roster. Other than that, I think he's destined for the practice squad, simply because we have more invested in the other rookies, and Avery is a proven vet.

If he turns out to be something like the 4th best WR on the team , it's not that simple just to say "he'll be on the practice squad." Another team that is weak at WR could take a chance on him and put him on their active roster. If they decide to gamble and hide him by not giving him a chance in pre season games that would be another story. But if he is given a chance to show what he can do and the answer is "maybe a lot" , you run the risk of losing him.

My take on this is is baring injury , Wayne , Collie , Avery and Hilton are pretty much sure things. Maybe Avery needs to show he still has explosive speed. If he can't or hasn't .. maybe he's no "lock." But if we concede spots to those 4 , I would say the final roster spot will be between Brazill and Sambrano. I don't think a 6th round "investment" will be enough to tilt the scales in Brazilll's favor. If close... maybe but if Sambrano is better , he get's the spot. The loser of that battle will then waived and hopefully not claimed and moved to the practice squad.

If he turns out to be something like the 4th best WR on the team , it's not that simple just to say "he'll be on the practice squad." Another team that is weak at WR could take a chance on him and put him on their active roster. If they decide to gamble and hide him by not giving him a chance in pre season games that would be another story. But if he is given a chance to show what he can do and the answer is "maybe a lot" , you run the risk of losing him.

My take on this is is baring injury , Wayne , Collie , Avery and Hilton are pretty much sure things. Maybe Avery needs to show he still has explosive speed. If he can't or hasn't .. maybe he's no "lock." But if we concede spots to those 4 , I would say the final roster spot will be between Brazill and Sambrano. I don't think a 6th round "investment" will be enough to tilt the scales in Brazilll's favor. If close... maybe but if Sambrano is better , he get's the spot. The loser of that battle will then waived and hopefully not claimed and moved to the practice squad.

I too think it comes down to Brazill vs. Sambrano, and if Sambrano is good in camp and preseason, and looks better than Brazill, then Sambrano gets the 5th spot. No question about it. Even if it's close, you take the better player. Their measurables are about the same, and as you said, a compensatory 6th rounder isn't that big of an investment.

If a guy is better, he should make the 53 regardless of whether or not he was drafted. I'd rather carry 6 WRs anyway than 4 RBs or TEs.

its doable

3 qbs

4 rbs

6 wrs

3 tes

10 o-lineman

4 des

3 nts

8 lbers

5 cbs

4 s

3 sts

If they brought Sambrano to the active roster, and stashed Brazill on the PS, would it be commonplace for another team to swoop in and steal him?

yes. i believe thats how we got antonio johnson from the titans

yes. i believe thats how we got antonio johnson from the titans

I know that it can happen, I was wondering how regularly it happens. Brazill being a 5th rounder, would it be likely that another team steals him from our PS? I would have no problem carrying 6 WRs, as long as they merrit a roster spot. But I also wouldn't want a draft pick to be stolen from the PS, if he's not good enough to make the 53 right away.

I think it very well could be 4 TE's 4 Rb's and 5 Wr's. Arian's offense might very well dictate 4 TE's. Plus Fleener will sometimes line up like a WR.... I think anyway.

If the 4th tight end can snap, it could save us a roster spot. Other than that, I don't think we have 4 tight end that belong on a pro roster. I would think it would be Fleener, Allen and Miller. Don't know much about the rest of them, but they certainly don't look promising at this point, especially not as pass catchers. But I do think Arians would prefer that 4-4-5 configuration, assuming we carry the customary 13 at those spots.

I know that it can happen, I was wondering how regularly it happens. Brazill being a 5th rounder, would it be likely that another team steals him from our PS? I would have no problem carrying 6 WRs, as long as they merrit a roster spot. But I also wouldn't want a draft pick to be stolen from the PS, if he's not good enough to make the 53 right away.

It happens whenever a player is good enough. Another team might have needs at receiver, or might just like the player better than someone in their rotation. The Giants didn't play Victor Cruz hardly at all in 2010, even though he was a standout preseason performer. They were going to release him and try to sign him to the practice squad, but were certain he wouldn't make it through waivers (he wouldn't have; if no one else, the Jets would have claimed him, and Rex Ryan said as much, another instance of his mouth getting in the way). So they kept him on the active roster, essentially redshirting him.

You hardly ever see WRs taken from someone's PS, they're obviously raw. Some people worried that Giguere was going to be picked because of all of his potential. Never happened.

Unless one of the guys has a Victor Cruz type of preseason, I don't think we'll worry.

If the 4th tight end can snap, it could save us a roster spot. Other than that, I don't think we have 4 tight end that belong on a pro roster. I would think it would be Fleener, Allen and Miller. Don't know much about the rest of them, but they certainly don't look promising at this point, especially not as pass catchers. But I do think Arians would prefer that 4-4-5 configuration, assuming we carry the customary 13 at those spots.

I'm not aware of 4 TE's on our roster that are NFL legit players either. To be honest , I don't know dog dew about Miller. However , I think there are usually a few TE's that from other teams final cut that could probably provide our 4th guy.

I'm not aware of 4 TE's on our roster that are NFL legit players either. To be honest , I don't know dog dew about Miller. However , I think there are usually a few TE's that from other teams final cut that could probably provide our 4th guy.

All I know about Miller is that he can be used as a receiver when necessary (his senior year: 62 catches, 872 yards, 7 touchdowns), he was a decent blocker, and he can snap.

I think that if everybody is healthy and Brazil and Sambrano play well in training camp and pre-season, the colts will carry 6 WR. Reggie is getting older, Collie has had concussions, Avery has had knee problems. What the colts cant do is pass on a potential weapon. Depth at WR would be huge since all of the current guys have potential issues. The packers have shown what you can do with a deep WR core and the giants have shown the importance of depth

With the Arians offense, we may have 4 TEs active. Pagano liked the size and athleticism of Dominique Jones, the Blocking of Andre Smith, and of course Fleener and Allen. If we keep 3 active there will be one TE on the practice squad IMO.

Superman mentions Kyle Miller and I honestly do not know much about him other than as mentioned he can long snap.

Back to Sambrano, lets get to camp and play. Lets see who has studied the routes....the playbook. Lets see who is wiling to block and make plays...and may the best receiver win. I root for the underdog....love competition.

Pierre only dropped 4 balls last year(less than Welker)....the years before that he was ranked along side Steve Smith of Carolina and Bowe of KC. We got spoiled with Reggie/Marvin....I don't think he had bad hands...especially for a big play guy that typically was running deep routes which usually are more difficult catches. The Super Bowl drop will never be forgotten I understand but he was the best player on our team last year and would easily be our best receiver this year....he is a huge loss.

He did have questionable hands. Sometimes that gets overblown, and he was better last season, but that doesn't mean that there was never an issue with his hands. There clearly was. We were spoiled with Reggie and Marvin, but Garcon dropped a number of easy catches in his time here. It's not a figment of the imagination.

There's also the question of why he's come to be known as a big play guy. He could break out, but his success on deep targets was near the bottom of the league. He's not a guy who is going to consistently make big plays down the field. There are deep threats, like Larry Fitzgerald, Vincent Jackson, Desean Jackson, and then there are guys like Garcon who get targeted down field but don't catch a lot of deep passes. His ability as a deep threat is overstated. Just because he's fast doesn't mean he's a good deep threat.

As for the topic I think Sambrano will be placed on the practice squad unless we have injuries at the position. Hilton and Brazill were drafted for what they did in games and they will get a chance to prove themselves over the course of a season I am sure. I don't think Sambrano has so much clout that he will be swiped off our practice squad. Remember we are perceived as the most talentless team in the league...I doubt to many teams will be taking guys off our practice squad...its much more likely the other way around given our squads make up.

If Sambrano shows ability in the preseason, the perception that we don't have a lot of talent won't mean anything to other teams.