Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Strange Draft?

IDK about the rest of you, but it just seemed like a strange draft overall.  Many guys that were thought to go high went late and a few weren't even drafted for various reasons.  Then there were many guys who were barely even on the radar that went pretty high.  I guess it's sorta like this every year but this year seemed moreso to me.  Anybody else?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

IDK about the rest of you, but it just seemed like a strange draft overall.  Many guys that were thought to go high went late and a few weren't even drafted for various reasons.  Then there were many guys who were barely even on the radar that went pretty high.  I guess it's sorta like this every year but this year seemed moreso to me.  Anybody else?

Who was "barely on the radar that went pretty high"..?

Are you only talking Colts,  or are you including other teams and players...

Not really, some guys always jump up the draft board and go higher then the media expects and some guys slide down and go lower.  

The only strange thing I noted was there is usually some last minute thing to come out about a high draft pick that causes them to slide.  That last minute thing was a really small thing which was Josh Allen's tweets and I think it was a non-issue.  

For the record I say it was a small thing only because the tweets came when Josh Allen was like 15 years old.  It would be a huge thing if they where tweeted within the last couple years but he was being a stupid teenager, he owned up to it and addressed it so I think it turned into a complete non issue with where he was drafted.  

Nobody really did anything stupid before the draft this year as they have in past years. No arrests, No domestic violence, no drugs no nothing really.  You can speak on the Josh Allen thing but that was from high school.

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

That is partly due to way too many thinking the list that so called draft guru's make up means something to GMs?

Before the draft there is too many to count that have mock drafts and a lot of fans believe that is the way real GMs do things. Nothing could be farther than the truth.

The media makes up these list of the top 100 players then the next 100 players and some ill informed believe those are the players to take. Any GM that varies off those list is either reaching or dumb to those ill informed fans.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I didn't drink as many as I anticipated, so that was odd for me. 

touche'.

I just kept seeing Holton Hill and Mo Hurst being up there high and I kept looking and they were the "Best Available" for like ever it seemed.  There are other examples but I can't think right now.  I know there are reasons guys slide but it just seemed strange to me.  We CLEARLY had them off our board for sure I would say.  Locally, I thought Cobbs and Scales would be drafted for sure, but ended up UFA's, while their teammate Covington gets drafted by the Cowboys.  That to me was also strange.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Most players went around where I thought they would. I had 82 of my top 100 get drafted in the top 100. While that is towards my lower scores it is not eye-popping. I range anywhere form 80 to 90 players in any given year.

I had 27 players in my final mock get drafted in the first round. Only 1 player went in the first round that I didn't mock in any of my 4 first round mocks. 

Every year a couple of players fall... such as Mo and Guice this year. It always happens and I always expect it to be somebody. 

There are always a few surprises.....

The strangest thing about this draft was for Mayfield to go number 1 overall. We heard about it the final week leading up to the draft and it happened. For me, that is the oddness of the 2018 NFL draft. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I liked the draft much more when the announced pick on the TV was the first call. Also, I don't need to see everyone's tweets. It would be nice to see a draft where they don't go to a commercial break during a Colts pick for once. 

Yeah, man... 

NEVER get on twitter during the draft. It will ruin the experience. :D 

I like to watch it the way it was intended to be watched. Pure, and live in my time.

Something that a lot of people don't take into account is that a lot of GM's and scouts also have a lot of risers and fallers on their boards due to the East/West game, the Senior Bowl, interviews we don't even know about, character concerns we don't know about, and possible injuries we think are no big deal, but they get dropped because of it. When I was watching days 2 and 3 of the draft and players were getting picked that I didn't have much exposure too, the usual explanation was that were standouts at the East/West game, senior bowl, etc... and were risers on that teams board. An example for us is Turay as Ballard thought he was the pass rusher at the Senior Bowl. Then lots of players drop like Simmie Cobbs and Harold Landry and Maurice Hurst. This isn't by accident, and usually it's somewhat of a concencus as they fell very late, or even as a UDFA.

It's just the usual, but it can seem strange if it happens to players you know, or want the Colts to draft.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 12:04 AM, AZColt11 said:

They all are in their own way.  What I see recently (I'm sure others have more)

The GM's these days are not afraid to 'wheel and deal'.  Trades abound more than ever.

Teams tend to go BPA early in the draft, but as rounds tick off, they go more toward 'need'.

When a need position has a 'run' of players coming off the board, it propels other to join in.

Teams scouts basically handle round 4-7. These guys (yes, many per team) spend all college season scouting all the players, not just the top folks at big schools like fans and media. Searching FCS and lower schools for gems (not just easy ones like Nathan Shepard of Fort Hays State) in later rounds that produce. IE: Robert Mathis Alabama A&M, round 5 etc...

UDFA pplayers may have better shot at making a 53 man roster than some round 6-7 picks.  UDFA's evaluate their own talent strengths and find a team(s) where they need that talent and sign there with a chip on their shoulder.

Each year the draft gets bigger, and the NFL knows it.

• Like 1