Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alright guys, we are going to be FINE #TrustTheBinder #InBallardWeTrust

masnerj

People are freaking out that we haven't signed any major player in the NFL free agency. We have missed out on Hitchens, Norwell, Robinson, and others. However, people don't realize this but Ballard prefers a certain type in free agency: Mid-Tier players (average-to-above-average players in the NFL) that are young and/or have upside. Just take a look at the previous year with players like Sheard, Simon, Woods, Hankins. These guys are majority under 7 million a year and are at the very least average starters but at their best flash pro-bowl potential. They do the most important thing in a rebuilding roster: plug holes with something more than a band-aid. They shore up our depth and overall talent. And the best part is that you can get many of them by having cap space and NOT chasing the above-averages starters that are getting All Pro money. 

Just take a look at this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763444-doug-farrars-top-50-players-on-the-2018-nfl-free-agent-market

And you'll quickly see just how much talent there is left out there at positions of concern/need of an upgrade prior to the draft. I can easily see a situation where after the initial "glow" or crazy of free agency, Ballard goes in and easily swipes up multiple impact players for less than 8 million a year. You better bet your money Ballard has a list more detailed and refined than this. He knows what he wants, and I think we'll see how he can "stack" up good free agencies as well as drafts.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the time you took to write this...and I agree. However, those who have had to "suffer" for a few years (I say that with my tongue in my cheek), are incensed by the notion that they may have to endure even more "suffering" because the GM is doing exactly as he said he would....and obviously not what they want. Therefore, this will be bombarded by the same, frustrated, fans. 

If Ballard had signed two high cost FA's, it would be I who was frustrated, yet I would not take it out on the boards. I would still back the team with my support.

Go Colts!

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Yes let’s sit back and watch the good teams get better. Our division opponent strengthen their team. It’s cool tho, can’t overspend, if you don’t spend. We will be picking the Top 15 next draft

Well, getting high draft picks was how the other teams in the division got better. I know what you mean though.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Yes let’s sit back and watch the good teams get better. Our division opponent strengthen their team. It’s cool tho, can’t overspend, if you don’t spend. We will be picking the Top 15 next draft

Your expectations may be too low OR too high, depending how you look at it.

How about picking Top 10 next year? Or maybe Top 5 again? Dare I think maybe even #1??

Lol.... We will need  Our mid to below mid tier FA signings and Draft and Luck contributing or you cpuld very well be right.

26 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I agree with you these 2nd to 3rd tier guys are not gonna keep this team out of the basement in their division  get ready for another high pick next year.

46 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Doesn't Belichick sign most of his good players for pennies on the dollar but Ballard

Isn't allowed to?

You seem to forget that people actually WANT to play for a team who has been in the Super Bowl 8 out of 18 years and won their division in a cakewalk nearly all those years.   Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.   

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

You seem to forget that people actually WANT to play for a team who has been in the Super Bowl 8 out of 18 years and won their division in a cakewalk nearly all those years.   Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.   

I agree somewhat but why not follow a successful blueprint?

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I can't understand why we're overacting about NOT overspending in what has been mentioned numerous times as a weak FA class. Change for the sake of change does not equal success

We have a ton of cap space, so overspending isn't a huge deal as long as it's only on one or two guys. If we only overspended on Norwell, but still got him. It would be a completely different dynamic on the forum. The difference between acquiring him and not is probably the cost of a mid-tier FA, and that's something Ballard will probably regret down the road.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We have a ton of cap space, so overspending isn't a huge deal as long as it's only on one or two guys. If we only overspended on Norwell, but still got him. It would be a completely different dynamic on the forum. The difference between acquiring him and not is probably the cost of a mid-tier FA, and that's something Ballard will probably regret down the road.

Unless he offered a similar contract and Norwell opted to play for the Jags and not the Colts which is possiable.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Unless he offered a similar contract and Norwell opted to play for the Jags and not the Colts which is possiable.

Knowing Ballard, he probably offered something similar or slightly cheaper. I would go so far as to say he had a handful of targets in mind and did that with all of them, and none of them worked out. I think Norwell got just north of $13 million a year, I would of hoped Ballard would of just offered $15 million a year and built around him with some mid to lower tier FA's if he accepted. He really didn't go for much more than I thought.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Norwell was a long shot especially with so many teams bidding for him

33 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Norwell was a long shot especially with so many teams bidding for him

That's why we had to overspend, and I don't think Ballard was willing to overspend on him or anyone else we missed out on. He didn't just miss out on Norwell, he missed out on 5+ people he targeted, and that's why the forum is up in arms. We obviously don't know what it is, but something Ballard is doing isn't working.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's why we had to overspend, and I don't think Ballard was willing to overspend on him or anyone else we missed out on. He didn't just miss out on Norwell, he missed out on 5+ people he targeted, and that's why the forum is up in arms. We obviously don't know what it is, but something Ballard is doing isn't working.

Totally agree.  Not only has he now missed out on pretty much every main FA target both last year and this, but he also missed out on his head coaching choice.  AFTER he announced him as coach.

That is a pattern.  Not an aberration.

Perhaps many of these guys are getting the impression I have of Ballard.  A too smart for his own good, cocky guy who may rub some people the wrong way.  

SOMETHING is going on.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Like the Jags? Their going to be in cap hell after all the spending they've done the last few years. Eventually their going to have to pay guys like Myles Jack, ramsey, and fournette and that is going to be impossible.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Like the Jags? Their going to be in cap hell after all the spending they've done the last years. Eventually their going to have to play guys like Myles Jack, ramsey, and fournette and that is going to be impossible.

The Jags didn't really overspend for Norwell. I'd say $13 million is close to market value. Jack, Ramsey and Fournette are all drafted guys as well. They'll just let some other talent go they signed before and gain compensatory picks. Also, you basically just ignored the rest of my post.

Bottom line is if you are going to overspend, and I don't mean stupid money but enough to get a deal done, you do it on the OL.

Reason being is there is ONE person on the team that is important.  A Luck.

If the OL is not improved?  What difference does it make having a bunch of average to slightly above average younger FA's who got paid average money?  I would rather over pay on the OL knowing that it will protect Luck to the best of its ability from further injury and have a slightly below average LB core or something than have an OL that is the same as its always been.

If we go that way, Luck won't last another 2 years.

18 minutes ago, BlackPanther said:

I'm a bit frustrated over losing out on Norwell.

I think we needed him, gotta protect Luck and I probably won't be happy until we bring some suitable players over to do that.

I can deal with losing everybody else.

Thank you. I think this sums up the feelings of everybody here. We had to get him, even if we overspent above the Jags by $3-4 million a year. That was the guy we couldn't miss out on.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Bottom line is if you are going to overspend, and I don't mean stupid money but enough to get a deal done, you do it on the OL.

Reason being is there is ONE person on the team that is important.  A Luck.

If the OL is not improved?  What difference does it make having a bunch of average to slightly above average younger FA's who got paid average money?  I would rather over pay on the OL knowing that it will protect Luck to the best of its ability from further injury and have a slightly below average LB core or something than have an OL that is the same as its always been.

If we go that way, Luck won't last another 2 years.

Yep, and even in the scenario if Barkley and Chubb go 1 and 2 in the draft in April and no one offers a decent deal to trade up, you can still take Nelson at 3 and have both Norwell and Nelson. We lost Mewhort, so there's nothing wrong with a situation like that, and that could of given us 4/5 of our line complete. Now we don't have Norwell, and there's a good chance the Giants draft Nelson at 2. Bad spot to be in.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Jags didn't really overspend for Norwell. I'd say $13 million is close to market value. Jack, Ramsey and Fournette are all drafted guys as well. They'll just let some other talent go they signed before and gain compensatory picks. Also, you basically just ignored the rest of my post.

Care to specify your 5+ guys? Only person that was linked to the colts that we lost besides norwell was hatchins. If you mean Robinson or Dion Lewis, there was nothing that said we were interested. Just that they would be potential targets. Obviously that wasn't the case 

For pity sake! Last year Mr. Ballard was going to be the heroic savior of the franchise. Before free agency actually begins this year some are already lending their considerable knowledge as to what is best for the Colts. Give the guy a freakin' chance before turning on him. Go Colts!

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Care to specify your 5+ guys? Only person that was linked to the colts that we lost was besides norwell was hatchins. If you mean Robinson or Dion Lewis, there was nothing that said we were interested. Just that they would be potential targets. Obviously that wasn't the case 

Those 4, malcolm butler, and I believe there was one or two others that I'd have to find. Like I said though, something about him is making people not sign here, whether it's cheap offers, a bad sales pitch, or they don't respect him because of the McDaniels fiasco, I don't know. He literally got nobody though, and I'm a little upset. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, bleevit said:

For pity sake! Last year Mr. Ballard was going to be the heroic savior of the franchise. Before free agency actually begins this year some are already lending their considerable knowledge as to what is best for the Colts. Give the guy a freakin' chance before turning on him. Go Colts!

FA has begun, just not officially. Lots of FA's are already agreeing to terms on contracts before signing them tomorrow, and Ballard has struck out on all his targets. At least in FA, I don't trust Ballard to close a deal.

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

And if you think 13 mil isn't overspending, look at the contracts of Malik Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, Tevin Smith, darues, and then on top of it, a whopping 18 mil from bortles. Their spending will eventually cause them to implode their team

FA has begun, just not officially. Lots of FA's are already agreeing to terms on contracts before signing them tomorrow, and Ballard has struck out on all his targets. At least in FA, I don't trust Ballard to close a deal.

I realize deals are being made. I'm just saying that the 2018 season is very young and it is possible that jumping in on the first day is generally not the best way to spend your money. There are a good many fine players out their that can help firm up the quality of the team and hopefully the addition of a healthy Andrew Luck will give the Colts the possibility of success. Just be a little patient.

Just now, CR91 said:

And if you think 13 mil isn't overspending, look at the contracts of Malik Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, Tevin Smith, darues, and then on top of it, a whopping 18 mil from bortles. 

I think they are in a window to win the SB, even if they don't make it in a few years though, they will still have plenty of talent. They can't pay everyone, but they are giving themselves a shot at a SB before that happens. We can't even protect Andrew Luck and keep him on the field with $70+ million in cap space left.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I think they are in a window to win the SB, even if they don't make it in a few years though, they will still have plenty of talent. They can't pay everyone, but they are giving themselves a shot at a SB before that happens. We can't even protect Andrew Luck and keep him on the field with $70+ million in cap space left.

Norwell isn't the only linemen in FA. There are still guys like pugh, solder, and the guy the bears released

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Butler? He was never linked to the colts. Some random beat writer saying player A would be a great fit for team B does not mean the initial team is actually interested. 

I know I saw an article on here earlier saying Butler was a target. If I misread it, I apologize.

Just now, CR91 said:

Norwell isn't the only linemen in FA. There are still guys like pugh, solder, and the guy the bears released

Solder is a T, Sitton is older now and Pugh isn't close to Norwell. I'm tired of this every year. Somehow we manage to never grab any high profile FA's that make a difference unless we back into someone like Mike Adams, and we never get hardly any Compensatory picks either. FA is so mishandled on this team that it's sickening.

Solder is a T, Sitton is older now and Pugh isn't close to Norwell. I'm tired of this every year. Somehow we manage to never grab any high profile FA's that make a difference unless we back into someone like Mike Adams, and we never get hardly any Compensatory picks either. FA is so mishandled on this team that it's sickening.

We need a Tackle as well and sitton and Pugh are better then what we currently have. Getting the biggest name doesn't mean it's going to work out. It's all about team fit

Just now, CR91 said:

We need a Tackle as well and sitton and Pugh are better then what we currently have. Getting the biggest name doesn't mean it's going to work out. It's all about team fit

Do you know for a fact that Norwell was a bad scheme fit and Solder, Sitton, or Pugh are a good one?