Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2 point conversion penalty

RockThatBlue

It was obviously a really lame call. Frankly it was outrageous and I'd be * off if this game meant anything. As it stands, at least there was an upshot to being mugged (draft).

This team has the injury bug and whatever the Chargers had the last few years with blowing games that were in the bag. This is what, the fifth game this year that they *should* have won? That they're all breaking the wrong way is indicative of something that isn't 100% a talent problem.

I didn't like the call either....you can see the endzone line in the snow....he is clearly a yard or more from going in when he blocks him. The ball is on the 2 so he is not more than a yard down field. It was done at the LOS so to me that is the perfect way to run that play.....if he just kinda just gets in the way a bit and moves  it probably goes uncalled...but he kinda keeps blocking him so that kinda helped sell the foul....it was a great drive, TD, and 2pt conversion....we deserved to win that game....then we blow it with a few bad moves at the end of regulation by not getting more yardage for Adam....typical Colt fashion but the defense fought hard all game! I am not super excited about Thursday....we go from East coast and snow storm OT game to Denver Mile High on short rest who had are playing back to back home games.....going to be a tough week!

8 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

It irks me to no end to see guys like Gore work their tail off for that win only to have it taken away in the final minutes of a game that the refs had kept the flags in their pockets all day.

This is what bothers me most.  

The NFL is just a really bad product now.  

It's really lame.  

I think I'm going to focus most of my attention to the NHL now. They got it right for the most part. 

19 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's very possible, JC

..of course,. its also possible he was a Mickey Mouse Brady Bunch wimp who let the big mouth home team players and crowd bully him into something he felt maybe he 'should have seen' but didnt

I've never seen an official in any sport admit that the home crowd or coach , players have ever made them make a call in their favor. They swear it doesn't happen , lol. Yes,  in the grand scheme of things the game isn't going to matter to the fans , but those players with the shoe on the helmet go for 3 hours battering their bodies to get a victory and feel good about themselves.  That call is still making my blood boil. Not called all day until then , the deciding play. And then 5 minutes late.  Those refs shouldn't get a HS game after that.  

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Rick Venturi said it was a good call by the refs and it should have been called on the TD because they did the same thing. 

He sure did say that...  and it probably was, but they DIDN'T call it on the TD and they were very late calling it on the conversion... total crap!

In a game like that one, where the ref's judgement is impeded by the weather (first downs, out of bounds so on and so on) and the fact they didn't call it on the TD is a reflection of very bad refereeing.

Its not like the players were moving at light-speed in that game.

They should not be able to decide a game and they did on that one.

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Rick Venturi said it was a good call by the refs and it should have been called on the TD because they did the same thing. 

I am sorry to inform you that Rick Venturi is not an authority on the matter. I don't have much faith in Mr. Venturi because he talks a lot better than he ever coached.

I watched the plays several times & here are my thoughts:

1) Hard to tell where the pick took place-- I'd say it started at the 1 & finished around the goal line.

2) Aiken didn't sell it well-- he needed to make his block look like an accidental bump. And in those conditions, he really only needed to get in the way for an instant.

3) My biggest problem was the FACT that the linesman who is responsible for making that call did NOT throw a flag. He immediately raised his hands in the air. But the ref stationed on the back corner pylon came running in as the Colts celebrated to consult with the linesman. Obviously, that guy was more adamant that it was a penalty than the linesman who called the 2pt conv good.

There are plays in which a big ref meeting is good to get the call right. But I hate it when the ref who is supposed to make the call & someone else who is not in position to make the call overrides the other guy.