Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saquon Barkley Is God.

There's Saquon.. and then there's everyone else.

By far the best college football and it's not even close.

Whoever lands this kid in next years draft I will be jealous of them.

He's heads and shoulders better than Elliot.. Who was lucky enough to land on a team with one of the best offensive lines in football.

If the Colts are 0-5 when Luck is ready to go, then we need to sit him and pray that we land this kid.

Luck and Barkley would make this offense explosive, dangerous, and fun to watch again. People would have to respect Barkley's run game, which will open up the passing game for Luck. Also, this kid can catch too, and I haven't seen someone with those kind of juke moves since maybe Edgerrin James was drafted.

#WeNeedBarkley

4 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

He's heads and shoulders better than Elliot.. Who was lucky enough to land on a team with one of the best offensive lines in football.

If the Colts are 0-5 when Luck is ready to go, then we need to sit him and pray that we land this kid.

Luck and Barkley would make this offense explosive, dangerous, and fun to watch again. People would have to respect Barkley's run game, which will open up the passing game for Luck. Also, this kid can catch too, and I haven't seen someone with those kind of juke moves since maybe Edgerrin James was drafted.

#WeNeedBarkley

Bryce Love is no slouch either but we need O.Lineman. I wanted Kareem Hunt by the way and debated with a few on here saying he was the best back in college Football last season. How dumb was I lmao 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bryce Love is no slouch either but we need O.Lineman. I wanted Kareem Hunt by the way and debated with a few on here saying he was the best back in college Football last season. How dumb was I lmao 

If Barkley is on the board the Colts need to take him. He's legit, and will make this team better from day one.

There's not one offensive lineman or anyone else in this draft I would pick before him. Luck and Barkley would be scary together.

This team needs play makers!

Maybe this year in free agency the Colts will actually address the OL. I remember wanting them to make a run at Kevin Zeitler, but they chose not to one of the best guards in football who was still in his prime.

I couldn't believe they didn't try to upgrade this line (Especially when their $140 Franchise QB is coming off shoulder surgery)

Like.. These guys running this team baffle me.

I'm an Iowa fan so I just watched him on Saturday.  

He is dang good I will say that.  Powerful yet agile and hard to bring down with one man.  Runs well and catches the ball out of the backfield.  

I think if he wasn't playing Iowa would have kicked the crap out of Penn St.  

I don't know how many total yards of offense Penn St. put up, but he accounted for over 300 yards of total offense.  

On 9/24/2017 at 12:26 PM, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

If Barkley is on the board the Colts need to take him. He's legit, and will make this team better from day one.

There's not one offensive lineman or anyone else in this draft I would pick before him. Luck and Barkley would be scary together.

Maybe this year in free agency the Colts will actually address the OL. I remember wanting them to make a run at Kevin Zeitler, but they chose not to one of the best guards in football who was still in his prime.

I couldn't believe they didn't try to upgrade this line (Especially when their $140 Franchise QB is coming off shoulder surgery)

Just because he signed somewhere else doesn't mean to we didn't make a run at him.

I just finished watching the game vs Iowa! WOW! Just... WOW! I don't think I've seen a better RB performance in all phases of the game ... And it seems like it's a regular occurrence for him to have games like this. He might be the best RB prospect I've ever watched in college. I know I have a no-RB in the first policy, but I don't think I would be mad if we drafted him in the first.

He has it all - the speed, the power, the vision, the cut-ability(and I mean explosive and sudden, amazing cuts!), he blocks and he catches passes... hell he runs WR routes sometimes. And that's without me even mentioning that he seems to have all the intangibles to succeed. I'm sold... yes... I think I'm totally sold for the first time for a first round RB.

BTW the linebacker for Iowa Josey Jewell is a damn fine player. Worth watching... he might rise to the first or second round when it's all said and done.

On 9/24/2017 at 12:26 PM, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

They did go after Zietler, they just didn't land him. They have to actually close on guys next year.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's good but wasn't the best in College Fournette was still is school he is a beast 

On 9/24/2017 at 9:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'm with ya there. I was banging on the table for Kareem Hunt (over Marlon Mack) & I'm pretty sure I was the ONLY poster praising Tarik Cohen.

Damn did I miss that one!

10 hours ago, BlueTruth said:

I'm with ya there. I was banging on the table for Kareem Hunt (over Marlon Mack) & I'm pretty sure I was the ONLY poster praising Tarik Cohen.

Damn did I miss that one!

Hunt was drafted #86 and Mack was drafted #143.  That is a huge difference and we needed, NEEDED to address the OLB spot before RB.  I was and still am a huge fan of Hunt.  I said multiple times that I wanted him bad.  I will say Ballard went with D and I am fine with that.  If we had a top pick next year, getting someone like Barkley would be incredible but I highly doubt it would happen.  We have other needs and Ballard doesn't seem to me like a GM that looks at RB in the early rounds.  Just my observation so I could definitely be wrong. 

12 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Hunt was drafted #86 and Mack was drafted #143.  That is a huge difference and we needed, NEEDED to address the OLB spot before RB.  I was and still am a huge fan of Hunt.  I said multiple times that I wanted him bad.  I will say Ballard went with D and I am fine with that.  If we had a top pick next year, getting someone like Barkley would be incredible but I highly doubt it would happen.  We have other needs and Ballard doesn't seem to me like a GM that looks at RB in the early rounds.  Just my observation so I could definitely be wrong. 

Ya agree, due to need CB went with a LB then a RB, my only concern was that Hunt was assessed with a rating that was too low OR that need superseded the objective of drafting a "Better Player".

I'm still very excited for Mack's future, and think if Barkley is selected by us (extremely unlikely) that we'll have one of the best RB tandems in the League, but I can't imagine any Colts fan would want to make the same selections in this past draft if Hunt wins the MVP or leads the League in all-purpose yards, etc.

My point is that RBs are considered a dime a dozen so one can wait till later to select one, but difference makers like David Johnson & Kareem Hunt's are rare, organization changers and I hope that CB can make sure to draft those guys whenever they are available to draft, instead of passing them by. "One can never have too many playmakers"

[The reason I was such an advocate for Hunt (early in the draft) was that he excels at making people miss, agility, and pass catching, despite whatever 40-time was. Sounds a lot like David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, and The Edge. And then I wanted to select Cohen (late) because he possesses a Rare trait that separates him from others in the League (which is something CB seeks out) but again passed on a potential playmaker. I KNOW the organization NEEDS OL but if we select the Best Player in Round 1 next year and it's not a lineman then it would be the right pick. So I'm fine it's at RB or wherever that player plays.]

in 2012, I believe one of the best selections of the Draft occurred when two quarterbacks were drafted by the Colts and also by washington. Literally. two qaurterbacks were drafted by each the Colts and washington, in the same draft when Luck went Number 1 and Griffin went Number two. I applaud each team for that because it shows that depth is important and that it's important to have a backup (in case it hits the fan).

Because of injuries...

Indy had to make a trade just to get a decent QB to fill in for Luck. whilewashington had Cousins on the roster from 2012, I think they are "more than glad" that they made that choice, so it goes to show that NEED is not everything, but GOOD players improve the team. So I hope the lesson has been learned about "where" a player should be drafted.

He reminds me of Zeke Elliott in college. He will produce like Zeke, if he goes to the right team. He is probably hoping he is not going to the Browns. If he goes to a team like the Bills with a good OL, watch out, McCoy would be watching over his shoulders soon.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I'm an Iowa fan so I just watched him on Saturday.  

He is dang good I will say that.  Powerful yet agile and hard to bring down with one man.  Runs well and catches the ball out of the backfield.  

I think if he wasn't playing Iowa would have kicked the crap out of Penn St.  

I don't know how many total yards of offense Penn St. put up, but he accounted for over 300 yards of total offense.  

I think they had almost 500 yards of offense Iowa is a decent team too.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:14 AM, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

#WeNeedBarkley

You realize that far more than a need for a good RB, we have needs at the OL and huge needs on defense.

I think the chances of using a 1st round pick on a RB --- any running back --- are slim and none and slim is riding out of town.

And the same chances of sitting Luck so we can tank and get a high draft pick.    The only way Luck sits is if there's physically something wrong with him.     Sitting a healthy Andrew Luck is simply not going to happen.

Erase the notion from your mind.

11 hours ago, BlueTruth said:

Ya agree, due to need CB went with a LB then a RB, my only concern was that Hunt was assessed with a rating that was too low OR that need superseded the objective of drafting a "Better Player".

I'm still very excited for Mack's future, and think if Barkley is selected by us (extremely unlikely) that we'll have one of the best RB tandems in the League, but I can't imagine any Colts fan would want to make the same selections in this past draft if Hunt wins the MVP or leads the League in all-purpose yards, etc.

My point is that RBs are considered a dime a dozen so one can wait till later to select one, but difference makers like David Johnson & Kareem Hunt's are rare, organization changers and I hope that CB can make sure to draft those guys whenever they are available to draft, instead of passing them by. "One can never have too many playmakers"

[The reason I was such an advocate for Hunt (early in the draft) was that he excels at making people miss, agility, and pass catching, despite whatever 40-time was. Sounds a lot like David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, and The Edge. And then I wanted to select Cohen (late) because he possesses a Rare trait that separates him from others in the League (which is something CB seeks out) but again passed on a potential playmaker. I KNOW the organization NEEDS OL but if we select the Best Player in Round 1 next year and it's not a lineman then it would be the right pick. So I'm fine it's at RB or wherever that player plays.]

in 2012, I believe one of the best selections of the Draft occurred when two quarterbacks were drafted by the Colts and also by washington. Literally. two qaurterbacks were drafted by each the Colts and washington, in the same draft when Luck went Number 1 and Griffin went Number two. I applaud each team for that because it shows that depth is important and that it's important to have a backup (in case it hits the fan).

Because of injuries...

Indy had to make a trade just to get a decent QB to fill in for Luck. whilewashington had Cousins on the roster from 2012, I think they are "more than glad" that they made that choice, so it goes to show that NEED is not everything, but GOOD players improve the team. So I hope the lesson has been learned about "where" a player should be drafted.

You make some great points.  I would say that depending on where we pick in the 1st or any round will definitely dictate how we draft.  If we are very early we have an option for top players all-around.  That means key D players like an Arden Key.  Also, leaves open the huge need of LT or just o-line all together.  Ballard preaches the trenches and this is where I see the focus.  Barkley is special and drafting him makes our offense prolific from day 1 IMO.  But I highly doubt that we would look at that position in the top of round 1.  Plus your examples minus Edge show the great talent t hat can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  Bell, Hunt, Johnson, even Jordan with the Bears.  Our glaring holes though from the team standpoint is o-line...protecting LUCK, and the D needs playmakers and depth.  FA will be interesting and just seeing how the year ends with some of the guys we have now.  Simon looks good and hopefully as the year goes we gel more and Sheard gets more rush.  2018 will be crazy in my eyes!

Best running back to come out since AP. Complete back with excellent receiving skills. Not a question in my mind he is #1 on my board. However, QB is still more of a premium. If I were the Browns I would target him even though I don't think Kizer is a legit QB. I would target Falk with their second pick w/ their Houstin pick even if I had to trade up a bit. Sends a bad message to Kizer but the NFL QB play is everything. 

On 9/27/2017 at 11:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

You realize that far more than a need for a good RB, we have needs at the OL and huge needs on defense.

I think the chances of using a 1st round pick on a RB --- any running back --- are slim and none and slim is riding out of town.

And the same chances of sitting Luck so we can tank and get a high draft pick.    The only way Luck sits is if there's physically something wrong with him.     Sitting a healthy Andrew Luck is simply not going to happen.

Erase the notion from your mind.

Agreed. I'd take Connor Williams before I'd take a RB. Barkley wouldn't do much running behind our line. Barkley is probably the best all around player in college football right now

, but it'd be a hard sell unless we had 2 first round picks. If we were picking top 5 and Barkley is on the board, I'm taking Williams, Derwin, and a few others over him.

This is not intended as a comment (yet) on Barkley who I think is worthy of all the praise he gets....

But I saw this on one of my Stanford sites and thought I'd share it here....    just going to cut and paste it...

Leading rusher from 2017 draft: 3rd round pick Kareem Hunt

Leading rusher from 2016 draft: 1st round pick Ezekiel Elliott but 5th round pick Jordan Howard is second (8 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2015 draft: 1st round pick Todd Gurley but 3rd round pick David Johnson is second (6 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2014 draft: 2nd round pick Jeremy Hill followed by 4th round pick Devonta Freeman (7 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2013 draft: 2nd round pick Le'Veon Bell (6 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2012 draft: 6th round pick Alfred Morris (6 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2011 draft: 3rd round pick DeMarco Murray (a bunch of running QBs ruin the second part of the stat)

If I'm an NFL GM I draft RBs I like in the 2nd or 3rd round or late.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is not intended as a comment (yet) on Barkley who I think is worthy of all the praise he gets....

But I saw this on one of my Stanford sites and thought I'd share it here....    just going to cut and paste it...

Leading rusher from 2017 draft: 3rd round pick Kareem Hunt

Leading rusher from 2016 draft: 1st round pick Ezekiel Elliott but 5th round pick Jordan Howard is second (8 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2015 draft: 1st round pick Todd Gurley but 3rd round pick David Johnson is second (6 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2014 draft: 2nd round pick Jeremy Hill followed by 4th round pick Devonta Freeman (7 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2013 draft: 2nd round pick Le'Veon Bell (6 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2012 draft: 6th round pick Alfred Morris (6 of the top 10 3rd round or later)

Leading rusher from 2011 draft: 3rd round pick DeMarco Murray (a bunch of running QBs ruin the second part of the stat)

If I'm an NFL GM I draft RBs I like in the 2nd or 3rd round or late.

There's always an exception to the rule though. Because NFL owners went two straight years after the 2012 draft without taking a RB in the 1st round. I think they realized that guys like Elliott, Gurley, Gordon, and Fournette were worth taking. That's how Barkley is. He's good enough to take in the 1st because he's a better football player than a lot of guys at other positions who will go in the 1st round.

I don't think the Colts need to bite though. He wouldn't have a line to run behind here. We need to fix our line first. In the mean time I'd take a guy like Chubb who might go in the 3rd round or later and see what they do. Or just roll with Mack and see if he's the future after you've built a line. 

Would love Barkley in the first, but...depending on which selection we would get...might have to go CB or O-Line this year in the first. Vontaze Davis getting old...O-Line is O-Line.

RD 1: McGlinchey OT or Fitzpatrick CB or Mcfadden CB

RD 2: Jones, Nelson G or Vita Vea NT or Hubbard, Lewis Edge.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

There's always an exception to the rule though. Because NFL owners went two straight years after the 2012 draft without taking a RB in the 1st round. I think they realized that guys like Elliott, Gurley, Gordon, and Fournette were worth taking. That's how Barkley is. He's good enough to take in the 1st because he's a better football player than a lot of guys at other positions who will go in the 1st round.

I don't think the Colts need to bite though. He wouldn't have a line to run behind here. We need to fix our line first. In the mean time I'd take a guy like Chubb who might go in the 3rd round or later and see what they do. Or just roll with Mack and see if he's the future after you've built a line. 

I think Barkley is easily worth a 1st..   He's a top 10 player and might even be a top 5 player.

But I'd probably prefer either a top defensive player or,  a top O-lineman.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Barkley is easily worth a 1st..   He's a top 10 player and might even be a top 5 player.

But I'd probably prefer either a top defensive player or,  a top O-lineman.

As much as people say you take BPA, I think you consider need when you're talking about RBs. Especially when you've got multiple needs.