Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inside the Relationship Between Chuck Pagano and Chris Ballard *Article*

Restored

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/10/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-chuck-pagano-nfl-notebook

Few bits I took away:

Pagano on Ballard:  "“There wasn’t one of those a-ha moments like, ‘This is gonna be phenomenal,’” Pagano told me. “I can tell you six, seven months down the road from when he was hired that he’s brought this building together, he’s brought personnel and coaching together, he’s unified everybody and the culture. It’s us. We’re all here working for one reason and one reason only and that’s to win, and get ourselves back in a position to get in the playoffs and do what they’ve done here forever."

Ballard on picking players: “Making sure that I understood what they wanted in a player, that’s always the most difficult thing,” Ballard says. “You’re not bringing players in for your ego. You’re bringing them in so the coaches can be successful. You match what they want. … You can’t just shove players down coaches’ throats. There has to be a level of agreement from both sides. And then when there’s a disagreement, we put the tape on.”

Enjoy the read!

The one thing about Ballard is he really does seem to be living by the "clean slate" mantra from when he arrived by holding no loyalties to long-serving players he thinks are getting on in years and I think this will translate to giving Chuck a clean slate on what has been underwhelming results the last couple of years.

I am going to try and do the same and see what Chuck and his staff do with a fresh, hungry pack of players on defence. 

Additional takeaways from my viewpoint-

Ballard watched Andy Reid lure Bob Sutton, who was an assistant head coach under Rex Ryan, to be the KC Chiefs DC (and he has performed excellently since). He watched how Dorsey tried to supply the kind of Player Reid wanted, and an agreement on the player. If they disagreed, out came the tapes and the subsequent sell job(s).  :-)

Pagano, as the secondary coach for the Cleveland Browns, in 2001, the secondary accounted for 28 of the Browns' NFL-high 33 interceptions. In 2003, he helped the Browns tie a franchise record for the fewest passing touchdowns allowed with 13.

Chuck then served as defensive secondary coach for three seasons 2008-2010) with the Ravens, the first with Rex Ryan who was promoted from the Ravens DC to Asst. Head Coach in 2008.  Chuck himself was promoted to the Ravens Defensive Coordinator position in 2011. While the Ravens have always seemed to have a stout run defense, Chuck's defense finished 3rd in both points and yards allowed (2nd in rushing yards) and they finished 13th in takeaways. But the pass defense had dramatically improved from 21st in passing yards allowed to 4th. They also improved from being 9th in passing touchdowns allowed to allowing the least amount allowed in the league.

So Ballard knows the subsets of the Rex Ryan defense, and how both Sutton and Pagano have performed, and the types of players they need to succeed in the type defense they run.

Where Ballard had to really meet, discuss, and learn at length ( IMO ) was with Rob Chudzinski, about his offense, and the players (fit) needed to successfully run it and succeed.

He is an excellent evaluator, but knows - " ... bringing them in so the coaches can be successful. You match what they want. … You can’t just shove players down coaches’ throats.

Ballard was involved in-

Dorsey - Reid, Sutton

Now it's his-

Ballard - Pagano, Monachino

Plus, bigger, faster, younger.    I'm on board.

And.. Luck's "surgery was about getting that right for the next decade. So the Colts are going to take their time with Luck. He might be ready for Week 1. He might not. But they’re going to be cautious as can be in getting him back."  I've been parked here on that sentiment for a good while now. Nothing has changed, and likely won't for at least 2-3 more weeks.  Then...   ;-)

Kinda learned to take these type of articles with a grain of salt

Numerous articles said Grigson & Pagano were the best of friends, clearly wasn't the case 

However, Ballard has been honest and straightforward since he got off the jet I'm assuming Irsay flew him in on. So this is more likely believable, but I'll still play it cautiously and see how this plays out 

Kinda learned to take these type of articles with a grain of salt

Numerous articles said Grigson & Pagano were the best of friends, clearly wasn't the case 

However, Ballard has been honest and straightforward since he got off the jet I'm assuming Irsay flew him in on. So this is more likely believable, but I'll still play it cautiously and see how this plays out 

17 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

No one should take anything away from these media puffpieces

We read junk like this all the time. All of us read the Grigson and Pagano articles 

To be fair, there was also plenty of pieces that dove into how Grigson and Pagano's relationship was failing.

17 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

my initial comment wasn't a shot at grigson man just move on. I'm just happy with our current situation.

I didn't take it as a shot at Grigson. I am not comparing Ballard with Grigson either.

Only time will tell if Ballard does a fine job after the "honeymoon" is over.

In Grigsons first three years it was a "honeymoon".  But it ended with a divorce! haha

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't take it as a shot at Grigson. I am not comparing Ballard with Grigson either.

In Grigsons first three years it was a "honeymoon".  But it ended with a divorce! haha

I guess I understand that. but I believe in Ballards body of work

17 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

my initial comment wasn't a shot at grigson man just move on. I'm just happy with our current situation.

The honeymoon with Grigson was pretty much over after a year. When he passed on Xavier Rhodes for Werner. That immediately raised eyebrows. The next year with the Richardson trade was the final straw.

All Ballard had to do is hit on 1 more 1st rounder and he'll have outdone Grigson.

Ballard often cites at least 3 examples of learning when he talks.  Barry Alvarez, Bears, Chiefs.   All 3 were proven winners.  It just seems like Ballard is mature and ready to be a GM, while Grigson only cites his time with the Eagles.   I think Grigs needs to hang in the system, mature, learn from this experience and he can probably be successful if ever given another GM chance.  That being said, I do believe the hype about Ballard.  He just comes across as the most common sense guy ever.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Defjamz26 said:

The honeymoon with Grigson was pretty much over after a year. When he passed on Xavier Rhodes for Werner. That immediately raised eyebrows. The next year with the Richardson trade was the final straw.

All Ballard had to do is hit on 1 more 1st rounder and he'll have outdone Grigson.

We will see if the Colts make the AFC championship game within three seasons. You cant hand pick two examples to judge a GM. If that were the case Polian would have been gone long before he was.

IMO Grigson being fired was more of an issue with his misses on the linemen and defensive players than the two you mentioned. Add the issues with the coaching staff and that is what sealed his fate over your two examples.

We will see if the Colts make the AFC championship game within three seasons. You cant hand pick two examples to judge a GM. If that were the case Polian would have been gone long before he was.

IMO Grigson being fired was more of an issue with his misses on the linemen and defensive players than the two you mentioned. Add the issues with the coaching staff and that is what sealed his fate over your two examples.

I meant his reputation with the fans. That's what I thought the poster I responded too meant by "the honeymoon ". Thought he was referencing fans being in love with Ballard. If so the fans stopped being in love with Grigson within 2.5 years.

If we're talking about why he was actually let go, it's all the things you mentioned. He was done with the fans way before that though.

cmon man landon Collins on the board and he drafts phillip dorsett? leveon bell and Xavier Rhodes on the board and he takes bjoern werner. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but why don't you just move on and accept grigson was a joke of a gm for our team .... honestly how many colts fans were watching the draft screaming TAKE COLLINS!!! and their jaws hit the floor when you heard phillip..?

20 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

cmon man landon Collins on the board and he drafts phillip dorsett? leveon bell and Xavier Rhodes on the board and he takes bjoern werner. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but why don't you just move on and accept grigson was a joke of a gm for our team ....

It's not a point of Grigson ending up being a joke for a GM when he did take a 2-14 team that was 39 million in the red in cap space. Then helped take this team to the AFC championship game in three seasons. After all he did win GM of the year his rookie season.

Yes I know things went south but completely overlooking the positive things that he did do his first three seasons is being narrow minded. Myself with a whole bunch other forum members had no clue things would turn out the way they did. Say what you want Grigson did have the Colts on the radar not only for the fans but the media as well.

And yes, you are beating a dead horse. Grigson has been fired and for you to keep beating that dead horse serves no purpose except for arguments sake. It's spilled milk at this point and to still whine about it for sure serves no one.

We all know the facts so what is your point by harping on it?

well I mean I didn't really want to bring it up either I'm pretty sure you did. but it's cool I honestly appreciate your input and I don't want to argue with you. things didn't go well but I won't sit here and say I didn't believe in him in the beginning, it's just very frustrating when everyone you know thinks your football team is a laughingstock and pointing fingers is easy at that point. but I understand your point I was one of the people who believed we would build the monster too. but based on his body of work I truly believe ballard is everything we thought we were getting in grigson at the beginning and more which is exciting.

9 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

well I mean I didn't really want to bring it up either I'm pretty sure you did. but it's cool I honestly appreciate your input and I don't want to argue with you. things didn't go well but I won't sit here and say I didn't believe in him in the beginning, it's just very frustrating when everyone you know thinks your football team is a laughingstock and pointing fingers is easy at that point. but I understand your point I was one of the people who believed we would build the monster too. but based on his body of work I truly believe ballard is everything we thought we were getting in grigson at the beginning and more which is exciting.

I also look forward to seeing what Ballard will do in the future.

Look, we have all turned a new page in the history of the Colts so lets just keep that in mind without dredging up old news? I include myself in that comment too.

Maybe we should just ban Grigson from even being brought up? haha

I also look forward to seeing what Ballard will do in the future.

Look, we have all turned a new page in the history of the Colts so lets just keep that in mind without dredging up old news? I include myself in that comment too.

Maybe we should just ban Grigson from even being brought up? haha

Lol I second that. Truce?

IDK what's really going on in the front office, but I like what I've seen of Ballard thus far.  Whether Chuck will remain here is anybody's guess, but either way it would seem at this point that the arrow is pointing up for this franchise now that Ballard is here.  Only time will tell, as he says.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

IDK what's really going on in the front office, but I like what I've seen of Ballard thus far.  Whether Chuck will remain here is anybody's guess, but either way it would seem at this point that the arrow is pointing up for this franchise now that Ballard is here.  Only time will tell, as he says.

There is not really much more to say is there?

If Chuck earns his extension that would be great. If not we will move on.

Grigson had success short term because of good first draft combined with a few low cost complementary free agents. Then he started missing on the draft picks and rely on the free agents that are typically only solution short term. When these FA's effectiveness fizzled as expected he had no draft picks for long term success. 

His initial success blinded him.

10 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Grigson had success short term because of good first draft combined with a few low cost complementary free agents. Then he started missing on the draft picks and rely on the free agents that are typically only solution short term. When these FA's effectiveness fizzled as expected he had no draft picks for long term success. 

His initial success blinded him.

True enough but we are now playing a couple of his draft picks that seemed to be good picks. Too late for him to keep his job for sure.

I am also curious if Grigson got fired over his reported issues with the coaching staff over his players brought in? Maybe just a combination of both IMO.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

True enough but we are now playing a couple of his draft picks that seemed to be good picks. Too late for him to keep his job for sure.

I am also curious if Grigson got fired over his reported issues with the coaching staff over his players brought in? Maybe just a combination of both IMO.

Well, his PR skills certainly didn't help him. Pagano was better at that.