Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NorthernBlue's first (and probably only) Mock

Realized I made this a tad long and detailed haha. Oh well. Just read the bold to see the picks.

Trade Value chart: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

Colts trade 1st (15) to Broncos for 1st (20) 3rd (82nd) and 5th (177). Trade values about even (1050 to 1050.6).

Round 1

Pick 20: Charles Harris OLB Missouri
Been linked to the Colts a few times already. At first I was somewhat indifferent to Harris. Thought he was a decent pass rusher, 
but not more than a second round talent. Then, I sat and re watched some of his tape and have come to grow on him a little bit. He's
fast and has a deadly spin move. Knows how to get to the QB. Very athletic and good size for an OLB in our scheme I think. He's a 
good fit for the 3-4. His pursuit is also excellent. You'll rarely see him take a play off. However, his run defense could use some 
work. He's not been great at shedding blockers, and if he can't use his speed to get around the linemen, then he's usually cooked. 

Round 2

Pick  46: Adoree Jackson CB USC
Super fast and athletic, as evidenced by his 4.39 40. His speed would give the Colts a defensive back who can run toe to toe with 
those fast recievers down field. But unlike another blindingly fast DB the Colts have, I think Jackson has got some above average
ball skills. You could put him in the slot early and have him contribute. He's got some potential and looks fluid running downfield.
Only knock as that he will struggle against big receivers. Won't be of much help in red zone defense, at least early in his career.

Round 3

Pick 80: Jarron Jones NT Notre Dame
A risky pick, I'll admit, but lots of potential. Jones is a big guy, at 6'6", 316. He's got insanely long arms, at 35 1/2. He's 
ahtletically gifted, can push the pocket and flat out dominate the line of scrimmage. Has excellent lateral quickness, making him
brilliant in the run game. Can provide good presence and give the linebackers an easier time. He can really dominate. Problem is, only
when he wants to. He's been known to be lazy and unmotivated. It's lead to him taking plays off and a lack of consistency. Big red flags,
but I'm gonna have faith in the coaching staff (sue me, right?), that they can get all that potential out of him. 

Pick 82: Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee
Gonna go with another CB here to add some more depth and talent to the mix. Sutton missed most of 2016, but was good when he was on the field.
Physical defender who can tackle and isn't afraid to do it either. Was a true lockdown corner in Tennessee. He ran a decent 40. Despite his
heavy playstyle, he's by no means big. If the team were looking for size, they may look at Rasul Douglas here. But I prefer Sutton because he 
has shut down capabilities. Drafting him and Jackson in the top 3 rounds gives the Colts some options and potential for corners to play
beside and eventually replace Vontae (as I do not think he will be resigned after this season).

Round 4

Pick 121: Kareem Hunt RB Toledo
Was tempted to take an RB in the third, but not really a HUGE ran of Foreman, and the third is too early for Hunt. Still, Hunt is a good RB.
Has decent breakaway speed, although his 40 time was nothing to write home about. Can slither his way through defenses, and, most importantly
I think is his ability in the passing game. He can contribute early as a third down back, learning behind Gore.

Pick 137: Anthony Walker ILB North Western
Despite a bit of a disappointing season, Walker is one of my favourite prospects in the draft. Walker is a do it all at the ILB position. 
He has excellent speed, can run up and down the field and sideline to sideline with the fastest running backs, giving him the potential to 
be an excellent coverage line backer. Isn't afraid to tackle and can provide some pass rush. Unforunately, he added some weight before the season
and that really affected his speed. Would probably need to lose about 10ish pounds in the NFL. At his best, he was running toe to toe with Christian
McCaffery. Maybe a risky pick, but I see lots of potential in him.

Pick 144: Tedric Thompson S Colorado
Seems the forum is slowly falling in love with this guy. He's not a great athlete, which may turn the regime away a little, as Ballard has
talked about how they want athletic guys. He's another DB with great ball skills. Adds some competition and could potentially start in his first
season if he is able to outplay Green.

Round 5

Pick 158: Ejuan Price OLB Pittsburgh
Athletic edge rusher who beats guys using his speed. Good fit for the 3-4. Undersized though. 5'11" and 243 pounds. He won't bull rush past any
guys. Can help early as a rotational pass rusher. 

Pick 177: Elijah Lee ILB Kansas State
Add some more depth and talent at the ILB position. Lee is a solid athlete and with an able motor. Athletic enough to potentially develop
into a three down linebacker, but needs to improve his tackling technique. Has good speed though and closes gaps fast. Another player
with a decent ceiling if the coaching staff can get it out of him.

I am starting to think Harris is who we take in the 1st too. We will take him at 15 or 20 something. 

I would like to see ILB before the 4th. The only player that I think is a mistake is Jones. You hit on some of the reasons to stay away. You forgot his injury history and reported off field problems. Jones is fools good IMO. 

I would take OG Johnson there. We need a RG to complete the OL.  

31 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Like it except RB. If Joe Mixon is on the board. We need a RB this year. We can't wait, but that's just my opinion. Your other choice's are sold picks. 

I have very little faith that Mixon last past the 2nd..

9 hours ago, a06cc said:

Like it except RB. If Joe Mixon is on the board. We need a RB this year. We can't wait, but that's just my opinion. Your other choice's are sold picks. 

Chances aren't good that he'll be there when we pick in the 2nd. And I'm not taking him in the 2nd with so many holes defense.

54 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Chances aren't good that he'll be there when we pick in the 2nd. And I'm not taking him in the 2nd with so many holes defense.

Remember, Ballard said BPA over position of need.  We'll see if he's true to his word.  But the caveat is that it's BPA on OUR board.  Mixon may not even be on it. 

If it were me, I'd take him in the 2nd and have the 'second chance, etc.' language on a press release a minute after the pick.

9 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I doubt a change of pace white running back will be gone before #20. 

Maybe & very likely so, ive just seen (forget where) the Colts linked as possible trade partners with Denver, because it was suggested that they are all in on McCaffery. So that's what I was going on...

18 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Maybe & very likely so, ive just seen (forget where) the Colts linked as possible trade partners with Denver, because it was suggested that they are all in on McCaffery. So that's what I was going on...

Interesting.  I wonder how many of those rumors are started by their agents.  I find it hard to believe that any GM is going to tip his hand on who they want.  It would just drive up the trade value from the teams their talking to.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

@NorthernBlue  Not bad.  Who do you think the Bronco's want at that spot?  (Always intrigues me, might be someone we want too.)

I like your players, but I have a standard complaint about a 4th round RB.  Kind of a waste of a pick to me.  See my previous post.

CM or Howard. Or one of the Oline guys.

56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Interesting.  I wonder how many of those rumors are started by their agents.  I find it hard to believe that any GM is going to tip his hand on who they want.  It would just drive up the trade value from the teams their talking to.

Yeah, in the case of McCaffery it may just be the family name, popular fan pick for Denver, etc.

2 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Yeah, in the case of McCaffery it may just be the family name, popular fan pick for Denver, etc.

I forgot he played on those SB teams with Elway.  A conspiracy theorist might say that big John is just helping the family by spreading rumors that the Bronco's want him.  But Elway probably has better things to do with his time, like figuring out who's going to play QB for him this year.

15 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I doubt a change of pace white running back will be gone before #20. 

I'm really surprised by this post,  on a number of levels.

First, reading your posts here,   it's clear you do a lot of home work.     You read-up and do your research.

So,  I'm surprised that you think McCaffrey is only viewed as a change of pace back.    To you maybe.    And maybe even to me.     But NOT to everyone.      There are teams that see Christian as a lead back,  just not in a traditional way.      He won't carry the ball 20+ times....     but he might carry 14-18 times.     But he might also catch the ball 4-8 times.       There are different ways to approach using him.

And the other weird one is you brining up his race.     Why?     Christian McÇaffrey is NOT Danny Woodhead.

He clearly tested as good as any black running back at the combine.     Better than Fournette and Cook....   better than Mixon and Kamara.....      Not sure what more you want?      He tests as well as any black running back you want to pick in everything except maybe the bench press.     The testing says so....

Here's his NFL Combine bio....    check out the number of categories where CMac is in the top-10.     You don't have to take my word for it,  the results are there in black and white.    5 out of 7 categories are top-10....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/christian-mccaffrey?id=2557997

I'm not predicting where MCac will be drafted....    but nothing will surprise me,  good or bad...

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm really surprised by this post,  on a number of levels.

First, reading your posts here,   it's clear you do a lot of home work.     You read-up and do your research.

So,  I'm surprised that you think McCaffrey is only viewed as a change of pace back.    To you maybe.    And maybe even to me.     But NOT to everyone.      There are teams that see Christian as a lead back,  just not in a traditional way.      He won't carry the ball 20+ times....     but he might carry 14-18 times.     But he might also catch the ball 4-8 times.       There are different ways to approach using him.

And the other weird one is you brining up his race.     Why?     Christian McÇaffrey is NOT Danny Woodhead.

He clearly tested as good as any black running back at the combine.     Better than Fournette and Cook....   better than Mixon and Kamara.....      Not sure what more you want?      He tests as well as any black running back you want to pick in everything except maybe the bench press.     The testing says so....

Here's his NFL Combine bio....    check out the number of categories where CMac is in the top-10.     You don't have to take my word for it,  the results are there in black and white.    5 out of 7 categories are top-10....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/christian-mccaffrey?id=2557997

I'm not predicting where MCac will be drafted....    but nothing will surprise me,  good or bad...

I know he's athletic, but he is skinny. He has a bird chest.(not hating, js) Imo he isn't an every down back. I know he can catch also, but so can other backs.  He will struggle in pass pro. Plus there is LF7, Mixon and Cook. All who I think are better. And I don't see 4 RBs going in the 1st. 

And I brought up him being white because when was the last time a white RB was the bell cow and successful in the NFL? 

Jmo

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I know he's athletic, but he is skinny. He has a bird chest.(not hating, js) Imo he isn't an every down back. I know he can catch also, but so can other backs.  He will struggle in pass pro. Plus there is LF7, Mixon and Cook. All who I think are better. And I don't see 4 RBs going in the 1st. 

And I brought up him being white because when was the last time a white RB was the bell cow and successful in the NFL? 

Jmo

I'm not sure where the "bird chest" comes from?

If you ever watch a Stanford game at all,  one of the announcers will talk about how well McCaffrey is put together....    the expression most often used is "he is rocked up!".....   Everyone who has ever been around him says Christian is really,  seriously put together.      It's not clear to me that CMac has room to put on anymore weight.     His 202 is likely all you're going to get with him.

Yes,  he will struggle in pass pro.     But teams interested in him will factor that in.     They won't have him do it much.      But when he does,   Christian is at least willing.      He'll try.     He'll stick his head in there and made the effort.        But the team won't have him do that....      That's on the team....

Yes,  the last white Bell Cow in the NFL was 30+ years ago....     John Riggins.    Or, a little less if you want to count Mike Alstott.     But those guys had 30+ pounds on Christian.     

But in today's NFL,  it's about mismatches....    and CMac is a mismatch headache.    He can hurt you in a number of ways....

By the way,   I hope you take my posts,  this last one and this one,   as compliments.     I think you've had a tremendous run here for about 6-8 weeks or so.....    some really good posts by you.    I am not criticizing you, just wondering about how you came to some viewpoints....

Thanks for the exchange.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure where the "bird chest" comes from?

If you ever watch a Stanford game at all,  one of the announcers will talk about how well McCaffrey is put together....    the expression most often used is "he is rocked up!".....   Everyone who has ever been around him says Christian is really,  seriously put together.      It's not clear to me that CMac has room to put on anymore weight.     His 202 is likely all you're going to get with him.

Yes,  he will struggle in pass pro.     But teams interested in him will factor that in.     They won't have him do it much.      But when he does,   Christian is at least willing.      He'll try.     He'll stick his head in there and made the effort.        But the team won't have him do that....      That's on the team....

Yes,  the last white Bell Cow in the NFL was 30+ years ago....     John Riggins.    Or, a little less if you want to count Mike Alstott.     But those guys had 30+ pounds on Christian.     

But in today's NFL,  it's about mismatches....    and CMac is a mismatch headache.    He can hurt you in a number of ways....

By the way,   I hope you take my posts,  this last one and this one,   as compliments.     I think you've had a tremendous run here for about 6-8 weeks or so.....    some really good posts by you.    I am not criticizing you, just wondering about how you came to some viewpoints....

Thanks for the exchange.

Well first off, thanks for the compliment sir. 

About the bird chest, there's a pic of him shirtless(TMZsports maybe?) and he doesn't look thick at all. And it only further worries me about his pass pro. I know he'll give effort on it, but at 15, I think he should be able to do it all. JMO of course. He is a great mismatch weapon, I just don't think he will go top 20.