Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

StampedeBlues breakdown of the O line

RockThatBlue

6 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Ditto. Competition is going to make this unit significantly better. I don't know that I've been this excited about the O-line in the past decade. 

I'm anxiously awaiting my trip to Anderson next Thursday 

I don't think I've ever been so excited about a center. Now, don't get me wrong I loved Jeff Saturday, but watching such poor center play since he left has given me a new appreciation for the position.

Have a nice time man! Wish I could go.

10 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Ditto. Competition is going to make this unit significantly better. I don't know that I've been this excited about the O-line in the past decade. 

I'm anxiously awaiting my trip to Anderson next Thursday 

I work in Anderson from out of town. and my job starts 1 hour after practices begin. So I figured I may as well not go unfortunately. 

16 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't think I've ever been so excited about a center. Now, don't get me wrong I loved Jeff Saturday, but watching such poor center play since he left has given me a new appreciation for the position.

Well, even with Jeff Saturday for several years the knock on him was that he wasn't stout enough in the run game. It wasn't until what  I refer to as "the big push"(when he pancaked vince Wilfork)that he really got the respect he deserved. Hopefully Kelly can become what we've been lacking since Saturday has departed. Sure looks like he has the potential.

I think the biggest issue with the offensive line right now is that there is no clear cut RG or anyone who really looks like he's going to become what Mewhort has, which is a very good every game starter. It doesnt mean that it wont happen. I think Reitz is a solid option at RT but depth wise we are still thin in that area. Im anxious to see how Philbin changes this group for the better.

I'm not sure I agree.  I think we are pretty good at RG because Thornton is a good player when not injured.  Then you have Good and Joe Haeg.  I'm confident Good can start or be a really solid depth back up at that spot behind Thornton.   I do have a good opinion of Joe Haeg also.  I think Haeg and Good will end up being the backups.  Good and Haeg both can also play Tackle if asked to.  Not sure if we'll see much of Clark this season.   I think we have some good players at the RG spot, but what you can say is the depth is not long on experience.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure I agree.  I think we are pretty good at RG because Thornton is a good player when not injured.  Then you have Good and Joe Haeg.  I'm confident Good can start or be a really solid depth back up at that spot behind Thornton.   I do have a good opinion of Joe Haeg also.  I think Haeg and Good will end up being the backups.  Good and Haeg both can also play Tackle if asked to.  Not sure if we'll see much of Clark this season.   I think we have some good players at the RG spot, but what you can say is the depth is not long on experience.

I don't think it will happen this year unless injuries but I beleive next year haeg will be our RG and I think Clark and Good will be fighting for start RT next year or tail end this year but Reitz  (unless injury) should get the nod at RT this year

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

I don't think it will happen this year unless injuries but I beleive next year haeg will be our RG and I think Clark and Good will be fighting for start RT next year or tail end this year but Reitz  (unless injury) should get the nod at RT this year

The way they talk about Clarks "long arms"  I definitely think they want him to be the starting right tackle next season.   I think it's between Good and Haeg whoever plays the Guard next year. They both can play right tackle if asked, but I think Clark is who they want as the starting RT next season.   We'll see what happens.

I honestly think Good ends up starting at guard.   His size and strength and run blocking prowess would be a HUGE improvement over the past couple years at the position.  He may just need some time to learn playing with someone outside of him.  

And the new OC like to pull guards for the running game, and Good's maneuverability has been well documented for a guy his size.

I agree with Krunk that i bet Colts want Clark to be the RT.  but he may need to sit and learn for a bit first.  Still need the best player at the position on the field, and Rietz is probably that guy until Clark gets up to speed.

The other 3 positions..they are locks..and i am ok with them fully.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont think Thornton will get a new contract

I agree. Unless he stays healthy all year and has a pro bowlers type season, in which case I think there's still a possibility of him being cut loose. First wave of drafted O Line has passed, this new wave is here and lot more exciting. 

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

If he has a great year and stays healthy he will get a new contract imo. Lets see how he does in camp/preseason. Hopefully some good coaching from Philbin works.

I don't think they will because there is likely to be at least two young lineman behind him that are good players who are playing on cheap contracts right now. I think he'd have to super ball out and I don't see it. 

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think they will because there is likely to be at least two young lineman behind him that are good players who are playing on cheap contracts right now. I think he'd have to super ball out and I don't see it. 

Thats a nice problem to have though. :thmup:

On 7/21/2016 at 3:58 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Center requires a very smart, football-savvy individual as well as possessing heft, strength and agility. Ryan Kelly seems to have plenty of both. Saturday was smart and worked well with Manning, but he could have been a little stronger. Kelly should be interesting to watch.

8 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Center requires a very smart, football-savvy individual as well as possessing heft, strength and agility. Ryan Kelly seems to have plenty of both. Saturday was smart and worked well with Manning, but he could have been a little stronger. Kelly should be interesting to watch.

Saturday worked perfect for Manning even being undersized because of Mannings smartness and a very quick release. When Manning had a run game going with Edge and Addai it was the stretch play pretty much over any runs up the middle for sure. I think with Kelly we will see a different type of center. Kelly has the size and the strength to shore up the middle. The majority of Lucks sacks and the RBs being hit behind the line came from right up the middle. Hopefully Luck can stay in the pocket and not be flushed out as much as in the past. I also hope that with Kelly's demeanor it will rub off on the other O-linemen.

No one has mentioned Harrison yet and he took most of the first teams reps at RG in the OTA's because of Thorntons injury.   He could be the wild card.  That said I think they both need to have a great camp and preseason.  They didn't draft all of these OL for nothing and they were Philbin's picks.  I could easily see us moving on  from one or both of them.  They both really have to be feeling the pressure right now. 

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No one has mentioned Harrison yet and he took most of the first teams reps at RG in the OTA's because of Thorntons injury.   He could be the wild card.  That said I think they both need to have a great camp and preseason.  They didn't draft all of these OL for nothing and they were Philbin's picks.  I could easily see us moving on  from one or both of them.  They both really have to be feeling the pressure right now. 

I think it's going to take a while for the RG and RT positions to sort themselves out. I know that many here think that Reitz is going to start at RT. We'll see after a few weeks of TC. It may be Good. I have no idea about RG, but it may end up being Harrison.