Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills signed Boom Herron

Everyone

So let me get this straight.......

We let a healthy Boom go, and kept Robinson instead? 

Boom had a minor injury but they chose to keep an injured Ballard over him. They tried to stash him on IR but I assume he asked for his release because his injury was minor and he wanted to play.

Yep.

Nope.

Boom was hurt. We reached an injury settlement with him. We kept Robinson because he was pretty good, and because he was healthy.

Same thing happened with Ballard. 

Problem is that we can't resign Boom for a while after an injury settlement, and he's evidently ready to play now. Good for him, but there was no sense in keeping him on our active roster when he couldn't play. Especially with the injury issues we've had at other positions. 

Nope.

Boom was hurt. We reached an injury settlement with him. We kept Robinson because he was pretty good, and because he was healthy.

Problem is that we can't resign Boom for a while after an injury settlement, and he's evidently ready to play now. Good for him, but there was no sense in keeping him on our active roster when he couldn't play. Especially with the injury issues we've had at other positions. 

Robinson was good in preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I'll agree with that. 

Since they were both injured (I don't know extent of either) I thought we would've held onto Boom on the active roster, longer than Ballard, but I'm no GM, lol. 

Hopefully this opens the door a little wider for a Bradshaw signing. 

Robinson was good in preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I'll agree with that. 

Since they were both injured (I don't know extent of either) I thought we would've held onto Boom on the active roster, longer than Ballard, but I'm no GM, lol. 

Hopefully this opens the door a little wider for a Bradshaw signing. 

I'm not excited about Bradshaw. I'll take him, but I'm not itching for him.

The eventuality of the Boom/Ballard deal was exactly the same, just a couple weeks apart. Neither was healthy, both got released with injury settlements, neither can play for the Colts for a while. Very shrug worthy, IMO, on both counts.

I'm not excited about Bradshaw. I'll take him, but I'm not itching for him.

The eventuality of the Boom/Ballard deal was exactly the same, just a couple weeks apart. Neither was healthy, both got released with injury settlements, neither can play for the Colts for a while. Very shrug worthy, IMO, on both counts.

You trust Robinson?  I sure don't.  I also don't think Gore can do it himself.  Maybe Varga?  I think Bradshaw would be an excellent addition at this point.

You trust Robinson?  I sure don't.  I also don't think Gore can do it himself.  Maybe Varga?  I think Bradshaw would be an excellent addition at this point.

Robinson has barely had any opportunities. Varga is still in protocol. I don't like Tipton, but he did a decent job in pass pro on Sunday. I get why they're looking to make a move, and Bradshaw has always played well for us, but he eventually winds up on the shelf. 

Robinson has barely had any opportunities. Varga is still in protocol. I don't like Tipton, but he did a decent job in pass pro on Sunday. I get why they're looking to make a move, and Bradshaw has always played well for us, but he eventually winds up on the shelf. 

Robinson hasn't had many opportunites because he can't pass protect and he's fumled on half of his carries lol.  Colts should sign Bradshaw or let Varga have the other carries when he's back. 

Robinson hasn't had many opportunites because he can't pass protect and he's fumled on half of his carries lol.  Colts should sign Bradshaw or let Varga have the other carries when he's back. 

He's allowed one pressure in 10 pass block snaps. He has one fumble in 19 touches.

Nope.

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the insight. I thought we could re-sign him when he was ready.

He's allowed one pressure in 10 pass block snaps. He has one fumble in 19 touches.

Lost fumbles right?  I know he lost the fumble in the Jags game and he fumbled in the Jets game because I was there( I believe they got it back) and he fumbled against the Bills(but the Colts got it back).  Luck also got hit 2 times because of him in the Jets game(one might have been on one of Luck's INT's if I remember right).  Either way they need someone in there who can be productive, not fumble and pass protect and I think Bradshaw would be a perfect fit.  I guess only time will tell.

Lost fumbles right?  I know he lost the fumble in the Jags game and he fumbled in the Jets game because I was there( I believe they got it back) and he fumbled against the Bills(but the Colts got it back).  Luck also got hit 2 times because of him in the Jets game(one might have been on one of Luck's INT's if I remember right).  Either way they need someone in there who can be productive, not fumble and pass protect and I think Bradshaw would be a perfect fit.  I guess only time will tell.

He didn't fumble against the Jets. He was down, the ball came out, the Jets challenged and lost. He did fumble against the Bills, but the play was called back due to penalty, so it's not logged.

Either way, like I said, I'm not itching to have Bradshaw, but I'll take him. He's definitely better at the technical stuff, but how long before he gets hurt again? I'm very neutral on the prospect of bringing him back, and that's independent of Robinson or Varga.

So, since we weren't really paying him squat, the injury settlement under the current rules was basically intentionally cutting him for the rest of the season.

I think I would have just cut him without the settlement in case we needed him again down the road...like now.

So, since we weren't really paying him squat, the injury settlement under the current rules was basically intentionally cutting him for the rest of the season.

I think I would have just cut him without the settlement in case we needed him again down the road...like now.

Not how it works. The purpose of an injury settlement is for a player with a short term injury to have his medical costs and rehab covered, and still have a chance to play during that season. So the team pays him for a negotiated number of weeks and covers his costs, and then he's free to sign with another team. He can't sign back with the settlement team until six weeks after the negotiated length of the settlement.

You can't otherwise release a player who is injured, and you can't otherwise release a player from IR. We had to waive-injured Boom (and Ballard) because he couldn't pass a physical, per league guidelines, and since no one claimed him on waivers, we had to put him on IR. The 6 week waiting period is so that you can't manipulate the IR rules with injury settlements. The whole thing is too strict for my liking, but that's the way it is for now.

Not how it works. The purpose of an injury settlement is for a player with a short term injury to have his medical costs and rehab covered, and still have a chance to play during that season. So the team pays him for a negotiated number of weeks and covers his costs, and then he's free to sign with another team. He can't sign back with the settlement team until six weeks after the negotiated length of the settlement.

You can't otherwise release a player who is injured, and you can't otherwise release a player from IR. We had to waive-injured Boom (and Ballard) because he couldn't pass a physical, per league guidelines, and since no one claimed him on waivers, we had to put him on IR. The 6 week waiting period is so that you can't manipulate the IR rules with injury settlements. The whole thing is too strict for my liking, but that's the way it is for now.

Yeah, I thought about possible manipulation of the roster a while after I typed. So once Boom was injured, the only options were the injury settlement waiver or keeping him on the roster as long as it took to heal.

No.    He wasn't healthy, and that's why we let him go.

He's healthy now,  but, due to NFL rules,  the Colts were not able to re-sign him yet.    Not for a few more weeks.

So,  looking for a job,  Boom signed elsewhere instead.

If I don't have this story quite right,  I'm sure someone will correct me.....

Boom had a minor injury but they chose to keep an injured Ballard over him. They tried to stash him on IR but I assume he asked for his release because his injury was minor and he wanted to play.

Nope.

No.    He wasn't healthy, and that's why we let him go.

He's healthy now,  but, due to NFL rules,  the Colts were not able to re-sign him yet.    Not for a few more weeks.

So,  looking for a job,  Boom signed elsewhere instead.

If I don't have this story quite right,  I'm sure someone will correct me.....

ummm-did-you-get-the-memo-about-that.jpg