Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jags Cap Space-67 Million-Wow

loudnproudcolt

I was watching NFL insiders today when Adam S. said the Jaguars had over 70M in cap space. I was dumb founded. I thought it was around 55M, but 70M, and sure enough, they have just about 67M. How does a team have that much cap space. Either you are being really cheap, or nobody wants to play down there. They are not Oakland, nice weather, and no state income tax, so they have advantages. Shows what being bad for a long time will do to a team. I am so glad we are in a position players want to come here. Can't imagine having that kind of cap space and not being able to attract players. They are going to have to significantly overpay to get players this year, but hey they have the cap space. Plus, they are one of the ten teams who is significantly under the 89% threshold for cap space used from 13-16, so time to spend.

Poor drafting so they never really have to pay much for their own guys. It's not exactly a dream destination for free agents. They do have a nice pool at their stadium though, I assume it's just so the fans don't have to actually watch their team get beat down every Sunday in their comfortable 1:00 PM time slot.

I do expect them to be very active in free agency this year though. I think they'll pay Julius Thomas 12M a year or something obscene. Maybe they even make a play for DeMarco Murray. Not that either of those guys will help them win more than 4 games next year, but at least big names will put more people in the swimming pool.

I heard that a lot of upstart players actually would love to play there, because there's a mentality in the locker room that anyone can potentially become a starter at nearly any position. The problem is attracting the ESTABLISHED starters, like Suh, Revis, etc. Such players will not join the Jags when they know they can be a starter somewhere else.

They may not be fully ready to compete with the Colts for the Division in 2015, but if they do this year right, they may in 2016.  Weaver sold Jags 3 years ago, and Khan hired David Caldwell (GM) and Gus Bradley 2 years ago.  Their draft mindset was no trading around and having no margin of error.  Now after 2 years, and the drafting of Bortles last year, they sit #3, and may trade it for a number of high value draft picks.  Khan also said he will pursue high quality FA's this year.  The multi digit losing and 2 year honeymoon are over. Now they just hired ex Jets GM John Idzik as a consultant on the sslary cap side of things (one of the few things he did well with the Jets).

Kind of make or break year if they want to compete for the AFC South crown soon.

P.S. I saw that pool in our away game (and 1st win of 2014) last year.  It was a sight!  They also have the Bud Zone (my wife heard it as the Butt Zone on the Stadium P.A. system!  LOL).  Lotsa booty shakin' going on in that area (maybe reinforced the Butt-Zone thought in my wife's mind!).  And they have the two largest flat screen displays in the NFL (Yes, bigger than Jerrah's!) and they look great even outdoor in bright Florida sun.  And they have their goofy stunt man mascot Jaxson de-Ville doing all kinds of wild and crazy things.  Now if they actually put a product on the field the locals can cheer on and be proud of, that place has anything for anybody (tailgating was great there too).  Just bring some big number high quality SPF...

Caldwell and Gus have shown me nothing to conclude that they are even decent at what they do. Mediocre at best drafting so far and little to no development, Gus has been out coached regularly. All that Gus Bus hype was just ridulous.

Caldwell and Gus have shown me nothing to conclude that they are even decent at what they do. Mediocre at best drafting so far and little to no development, Gus has been out coached regularly. All that Gus Bus hype was just ridulous.

Agreed, as far as results to date, thus is the put up or shut up year. Especially with all the FA money they have and yet another great draft slot to use for premeir player or trade for multiple high value draft slots.

Well they haven't had a qb really up til now. With a year under his feet I think he is set to step into the spot light now. They need to give him some help though. They have needs in a lot of positions. I think their defense is coming along but that offensive line and wrs need a lot of help. They may have lots of cash but they have even more needs to fill then cash. I still think they are a couple years out.

And you don't have to go stand in the line for the bathroom. Oh, wait... Umm, nevermind.

So, if an accident transpires in the water, a fan is just demonstrating team color Jaguar loyalty in the pool? Yeah, I get where you're coming from INDYD4U.  lmao