Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsays ban looks like..

Nobody

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mathis and now Irsay...what will we ever do? 

Seriously though that's pretty minor. I expected more to be honest. But after seeing Ray Rice's suspension and now this, I'm thinking the Commish is taking it easy on people this offseason. 

Is Goodell up for re-election or what?

I mentioned in the Ray Rice thread, these are the first personal conduct policy suspensions since the Bountygate suspensions were vacated. Might have tempered the way Goodell approaches these decisions.

Banning an owner from games is just a stupid punishment. How does that affect them whatsoever?

So how do you punish Irsay in this case? Just a huge fine? I think taking draft picks would be a big overreach.

I agree though, suspending him for however long isn't really a big deal. He basically suspended himself for a month when he went to rehab. It's not like he wouldn't be in touch, one way or the other. 

So how do you punish Irsay in this case? Just a huge fine? I think taking draft picks would be a big overreach.

I agree though, suspending him for however long isn't really a big deal. He basically suspended himself for a month when he went to rehab. It's not like he wouldn't be in touch, one way or the other. 

How about increasing their league dues for the year of the suspension or withholding revenue sharing during the suspension?

How about increasing their league dues for the year of the suspension or withholding revenue sharing during the suspension?

Both of those are different ways to levy a fine.

Withholding revenue sharing is a pretty exorbitant fine. Based on the Packers' public filing, each team received nearly $190m in shared revenue in 2014. Do you think Irsay should be fined $190m for what he did?

Banning an owner from games is just a stupid punishment. How does that affect them whatsoever?

If you think these guys keep a billion dollars of money invested in a sports team just to watch that team play on TV then I think you are sadly mistaken.

Irsay wants to be there to watch his team play and he wants to be in the locker room after each game.  So it is a punishment.  Perhaps 3 to 4 games is getting off lightly, but Irsay has hundreds of millions of dollars invested in the Colts . . . that's not something he holds onto just so he can watch his team play on TV.  

If you really wanted to hit him hard I would have suspended him from the 2015 NFL Draft.  Meaning he can't be in the team's war-room during the draft.  

Ridiculous over the top fines are reserved for Robert Kraft and the New England Patriots.

Well, as upset as I was about Irsay driving around all high-off-his-butt like common white trash, what should concern the league the most would be actual cheating and flagrant violations of NFL rules to gain an advantage on the field. 

I feel the Patriots got off VERY easy, and should've been hit so hard the very knees of the organization would've buckled. 

3-4 games and $500k fine, per BR

To me, this is a non issue.  But basically, he can watch the games at home instead of his box.

And I'm pretty sure he donates that much to charities every year anyway.  He can make it a push if he didn't want it to affect his bottom line.

Well, as upset as I was about Irsay driving around all high-off-his-butt like common white trash, what should concern the league the most would be actual cheating and flagrant violations of NFL rules to gain an advantage on the field. 

I feel the Patriots got off VERY easy, and should've been hit so hard the very knees of the organization would've buckled. 

+1 The law exists to punish Irsay.  

The law can't punish the pats for cheating.  

Yeah, I would drop the ban, it doesn't affect anything. I would fine him twice if not 3x as much and forget the ban. 

Yeah, I would drop the ban, it doesn't affect anything. I would fine him twice if not 3x as much and forget the ban. 

I think there's a maximum fine amount, although I'm not certain about that. But I'm fine with that. Fine him the maximum. I know Irsay loves the team and wants to be involved and at the games, so it would hurt him personally to be suspended, and that goes for any owner, really. So I get the suspension. But I don't think there's any meaningful measure the league can take against Irsay that will satisfy the bloodthirsty masses.

Ridiculous over the top fines are reserved for Robert Kraft and the New England Patriots.

Kraft and BB should have been banned for at least one season. They got off lucky. The 'perfect fail' the following year was justice.....

500k is the max

Is that official? Makes sense, since that's all the Saints got...

Also, could Goodell fine Irsay (or any individual) for each individual infraction? If Irsay pleads out to both charges, could Goodell fine him a total of $1m? I really don't care; it's not my money, and as people have already said, I'm sure Irsay's charity far exceeds that every year anyways. But I wonder if that's a possibility...

Nice to see Coolpat still has his Colts infatuation thingy going on.

I love the Colts. I'm just glad Mr. Irsay didn't kill anyone. The punishment is nothing more than a stubbed toe. How's the cycling going? I almost took one out on the Harley last weekend.

That's a great "abandon thread" gif.

But yeah, Irsay is going to get a harsher penalty than Ray Rice. The whole "higher standard" thing...

So according to the NFL ;er Roger Goodell: 

Beating your wife and dragging her unconscious out of elevators < Prescription drugs 

WuKZd.gif

Um, don't you guys think you are underestimating the difficulty of handing out an unexpected half million dollars?

No. It's not a problem for Mr. Irsay. It has no effect and doesn't change vacation plans, new car purchase, bling for the girl friends ect.

So according to the NFL ;er Roger Goodell: 

Beating your wife and dragging her unconscious out of elevators < Prescription drugs 

WuKZd.gif

No.

That entirely misses the point. Goodell has said that, the higher up you go, the higher the standard you're held to. Players < coaches < executives < owners. 

We can argue the merits of that standard, but the length of suspension isn't only a reflection of how the league feels about the specific violation.

Um, don't you guys think you are underestimating the difficulty of handing out an unexpected half million dollars?

No question that it's a lot of money, but someone else mentioned that Irsay does a lot of charity anyways. If he wanted, he could reduce his charity in other areas to make up for the fine.

In any event, it's not like it's crippling for him, nor will it impact his ability to take care of whatever business he needs to take care of. 

No question that it's a lot of money, but someone else mentioned that Irsay does a lot of charity anyways. If he wanted, he could reduce his charity in other areas to make up for the fine.

In any event, it's not like it's crippling for him, nor will it impact his ability to take care of whatever business he needs to take care of. 

I would agree with this. . . but we should remember that while Irsay is a "billionare" the vast majority of that money is tied up in different assets, the vast majority of it probably in the value of the Colt's franchise. 

When you consider all of his assets the cash he has on hand is probably a lot smaller then most people think.  That isn't to say he's not privileged with wealth, but being a billionare doesn't mean you have a billion+ dollars in the bank.

That said, the fine isn't going to hurt him that badly.  

I would agree with this. . . but we should remember that while Irsay is a "billionare" the vast majority of that money is tied up in different assets, the vast majority of it probably in the value of the Colt's franchise. 

When you consider all of his assets the cash he has on hand is probably a lot smaller then most people think.  That isn't to say he's not privileged with wealth, but being a billionare doesn't mean you have a billion+ dollars in the bank.

That said, the fine isn't going to hurt him that badly.  

Absolutely. He can rustle up a half million without too much trouble, I'm sure.

That's a lot easier to say when it's not your money...